Hartford Drive-In May Become Townhouses

posted by Roger Katz on April 28, 2004 at 3:41 pm

NEWINGTON, CT — The Hartford Drive-In on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington was one of only four remaining drive-ins in Connecticut when it screened its final movie in 1996.

Since then, the theater has sat and deteriorated, with occasional seasonal use as a flea market or Christmas tree lot. While efforts to purchase and reopen the drive-in theater failed long ago, efforts to redevelop the property with a large retailer (like Wal-Mart) weren’t successful either.

Now, however, a developer has proposed building townhouses and is getting an enthusiastic reception from both neighbors of the property and the town of Newington. The big screen, the marquee, and the snack bar will not remain in place much longer if this proposed development is approved.

The Hartford Drive-In, having opened in 1946, was one of the first in the state. It was owned by the E.M. Loews chain and managed for all 50 of its seasons by Dick Buzzell.

More details are available in this report from the Hartford Courant.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment