Gala Opening of the Loew’s Paradise

posted by Divinity on October 11, 2005 at 9:22 am

BRONX, NY — Fantastic News Everyone!

The Gala opening of the Loews Paradise is set for October 29th Featuring singing sensation Giberto Santa Rosa.

I will be there naturally!

Valet parking is available for $10.00 and tickets which can be purchased at the new theatre box office on Grand Concourse (a recent installment which is absolutely lovely) or ticketmaster.

Tickets for the event will run from $40.00 to $75.00. It should be wonderful.

I hope to see everyone there!

Theaters in this post

Comments (13)

JimRankin
JimRankin on October 11, 2005 at 10:08 am

This is, of course, a RE-Opening, since it first opened in 1928. But I send my Best Wishes for a bright and propitious event. I hope someone takes photos of the event with good interior shots of the restoriation work, for the many of us who cannot be there. You can’t post photos here now, but www.CinemaTour.com will allow them in one of the FORUMS. One could also use one of the web-based photo services such as WebShots, Photobucket, or the new Yahoo photos division. All such are free, but have differing time limits as to how long they will maintain one’s photos there. If you use an electronic camera that plugs into your computer, it will be a lot easier (no scanning involved).

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 11, 2005 at 1:56 pm

Looks like the people running the place have a unique and interesting business model. I think they have a good shot of making a go of things. The pictures I have seen make the restoration look pretty good…although almost anything is better than the state it was in as a four-screen complex in the 90’s. Perhaps this is the rebirth of the Paradise a great center of the community.

Good luck to the Paradise management!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 11, 2005 at 3:47 pm

Divinity, will you be wearing your usual halo and wings?…Gilberto Santa Rosa is unknown to me, but the name suggests that the management is catering to a Latino audience. I hope that they broaden their horizons for future bookings. Otherwise, they seem doomed to failure. October 29 is only one night. What are they doing for the rest of the week, or the balance of 2005?

stevebob
stevebob on October 12, 2005 at 6:56 am

Where are the promoters for this venue?

Website still “under construction” (with essentially zero information), with a grand re-opening planned for three weeks away?

“Life’s too short” says: “Looks like the people running the place have a unique and interesting business model.” What do you base this opinion on?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Something is “not quite right” about this entire situation. No coverage in local media. No (real) website. A unique and interesting business model? I’ll say!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 12, 2005 at 7:19 am

The opening booking suggests that they’re using the ex-Loew’s 175th Street as at least a partial “business model.” Though the 175th is now a church, it’s often rented out for concerts by Latino performers. However, I don’t think that the potential audience is large enough to support both the 175th and the Paradise, which are not that far apart in distance.

stevebob
stevebob on October 12, 2005 at 11:26 am

At least they do have it listed as a venue, albeit with the incorrect zip code.

Speaking of the Loews 175th, I find it interesting that I’ve lived in that neighborhood for 12 years and have never seen advertising for any event there.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 12, 2005 at 11:47 am

I think that the concerts at the 175th Street are only promoted within the Latino community via Spanish-language newspapers and radio/TV stations. I didn’t know they existed until I happened to pass the theatre one day and saw posters prominently displayed.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 12, 2005 at 12:04 pm

Ticketmaster says that Milly Quezada will be sharing the bill with Gilberto Santa Rosa, but that tix are currently not available online. Perhaps Divinity bought out the house for a convention of angels.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 14, 2005 at 9:31 am

Tickets are now on sale at Ticketmaster, but limited to eight per transaction. I could get two seats in center orchestra for $95.00 each, plus $9.50 service charge per ticket. I decided to pass.

bxlily
bxlily on October 14, 2005 at 9:55 am

Im about to buy my ticket, but does anyone know about who else will be there? Is it just going to be Gilberto Santa Rosa and Milly Quezada? I got a good deal at Ticket master so don’t knock it! lol

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 19, 2005 at 3:34 pm

What I have seen comes off of the theatre’s web site. I have never seen this sort of collection of proposed functions for a restored movie palace. It is obviously geared for the Latin American community:

The most spectacular and grandiose theater ever built in the United States reopens its doors in 2005. The Loews Paradise Theater, located in the heart of the Bronx ’s busiest commercial district, will showcase concerts by internationally acclaimed artists in world of Latin, pop and urban music, special events such as boxing, comedy and children’s variety shows and televised shows. With a seating capacity approaching 4,000 in the main ballroom, and grand interior spaces set aside for dining, sports bar, and private functions, the Paradise Theater will be a never before seen one-stop entertainment mecca in the heart of New York.

I see a lot of opportunity here. If they can make a go of the boxing thing, for instance, they will attract some large crowds. There is a good-sized market for this sort of thing, in Chicago at least.

ERD
ERD on October 31, 2005 at 2:13 pm

I totally agree with Warren that the Paradise must be more versatile in its bookings if it hopes to succeed and survive.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm

2014 THE LOEWS KINGS is to reopen as the KINGS THEATRE.Lets hope they do as well with the KINGS as the LOEWS PARADISE has done so far.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment