Industry innovations

posted by Michael Zoldessy on December 11, 2008 at 7:55 am

The Wall Street Journal discusses some new technology being launched soon for the movie business.

Get ready for a lot more ways to catch a movie.

Hollywood studios and tech companies are rolling out a host of innovations that will change the way we experience films at home and in theaters. They’ve already begun to serve up DVDs that let you chat with other people who are watching the same movie. They’re also sprucing up theaters with crystal-clear screens and amenities like cozier seats and restaurant-quality food.

Comments (14)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 11, 2008 at 2:17 pm

According to the article, “Chat” means sending text messages to other people while your watching a movie. Why would anyone want to watch a movie and send text messages while they are watching? “The text goes in a box over a portion of the screen.” Sounds silly to me.

movies10063
movies10063 on December 11, 2008 at 5:31 pm

how about Charging less than $10,00 to get in and no more 6.00 popcorn,and 5.00soda.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 11, 2008 at 6:34 pm

CHEAP IN TODAYS DAY A MOVIE & POPCORN

MPol
MPol on December 11, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Good Questions and points, Lost Memory, movies10063 and longislandmovies. Your points are well taken. WHY anybody would want to text/chat while watching a movie….beats me. I sure wouldn’t.

It’s agreed, the concession stands and general admission, unless one holds a membership to a movie palace, is rather expensive, to boot.

This whole thing sounds like a good way to eventually kill off the movie business entirely. Just my opinion.

markp
markp on December 11, 2008 at 8:14 pm

How about in most policy trailers, they ask for silence and no texting or cell phones. Now we can text, next we’ll be able to talk, then they can just close down the whole damn industry.

Roloff
Roloff on December 12, 2008 at 4:11 am

People are sending text messages in cinemas from their cellphones all the time, so why not let them do this from the ease and comfort of their own couch at home so they don’t have to bother other patrons in a cinema?
Nothing in the article isn’t really new, or hasn’t already been talked about. Small beamers in cellphones and the likes, interactive options in BDs, etc. Also, you should know that today’s kids don’t do a single thing at one time, they are permanently multitasking, and for them this is a normal way of undergoing movies, music, TV, the internet, social gatherings, or even class. I see this every day. Times are a Changin', my friends.

markp
markp on December 12, 2008 at 5:36 am

And NOT for the better.

RobertR
RobertR on December 12, 2008 at 5:50 am

Go back to 100 foot screens to overwhelm people. The ways movies should be seen.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 12, 2008 at 6:05 am

Why would anyone need to text message someone while they are watching a dvd at home? If I want to be distracted, I can wait until the movies is on network or free tv and be distracted by commercials and station logos. If I’m buying or renting a dvd, I don’t want to be distracted. That is one of the reasons for buying or renting. If there is something about the movie that you must discuss with someone, why not wait until the movie is over and call the person on the telephone to discuss it. Is using a telephone considered to be old fashioned?

markp
markp on December 12, 2008 at 6:52 am

I’m sorry to say Lost, but in todays society, yes, using a “telephone” is old fashioned. I’m with you, heck I still use my CB radio, but, today its blackberries, blueberries and whatever else is the hot item of the day. I was told about 10 years ago by an executive with General Cinema, that I was a dinosaur, because I was a union projectionist.
There you go…

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

Got your ears on? (CB Talk) I don’t own a BlackBerry. I do like blueberries when they are in a muffin or a pie. This idea of texting on your tv while watching a movie was probably conceived for teens. Unfortunately this idea wont keep teens out of movie theaters and it won’t stop them from texting in a theater. They might even become more proficient at texting with the practice that they will be getting at home. Maybe if Hollywood made more interesting movies, teens would get more involved in the movie itself and wouldn’t need to text message during the movie. I can’t understand why anyone paying $25-$30 for a Blu-ray movie would want to lessen the enjoyment of watching that movie just to send text messages.

If you build it….someone will abuse it. ;)

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on December 12, 2008 at 9:32 am

Wow, the A.D.D./I WANT IT NOW!! generation strikes yet again!

I tell ya, there’s never been a greater time for a new 65MM production.

Must get Spielberg to shoot “Lincoln” in 65MM

Simon Overton
Simon Overton on December 12, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Our problem with teens today is that they are bored with life if they can’t play with their cellphones! They totally lack concentration.
It’s about time that ALL cinemas, both private and chain, display a large sign in the lobby regarding policy -especially cellphones and enforce it, by tossing the irritating offenders out without a refund.
Better still, install signal jamming devices in every theater so we can all watch a movie without seeing that infuriating little white cell screen!!!

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment