3 Strip Cinerama and more at the Cinerama Dome

posted by JSittig1 on August 14, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Beginning Monday September 7 and running for 4 days, ArcLight Cinemas Cinerama Dome and Arclight Cinemas presents SEPTEMBERAMA. Monday September 7, “Woodstock”, 3 days of peace, love, and music condensed into a new 228 minute directors cut, presented in digital cinema.

Then, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, “This is Cinerama” and “How the West Was Won”, presented in the original 3 strip Cinerama projection process with 7 channel magnetic sound.
Plus, on Tuesday only, a unique single lens Cinerama 70mm double feature, “The Golden Head”,1965, starring George Sanders and Buddy Hackett, and “Holiday in Spain” with Peter Lorre. “Golden Head” is known as the “lost” Cinerama film, as it was never released in the United States, and “Holiday in Spain”, 1961, was originally released as “Scent of Mysetry” in smell-o-vision.
All films are showing in The Cinerama Dome at ArcLight Hollywood.

Tickets go on sale this Friday, August 14 on line at the ArcLight Website.

(Thanks to Lu5h.bunny for providing the photo.)

Theaters in this post

Comments (9)

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on August 14, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Just got my tix but nowhere on the site did it mention original 3-strip Cinerama for any of the films. Seems like a major selling point to me.

JSA
JSA on August 15, 2009 at 5:37 am

If you’re in and around the Los Angeles area, by all means go and support these screenings.

JSA

JohnRice
JohnRice on August 15, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Note that only “This is Cinerama” and “How the West Was Won” are 3 strip Cinerama. These are the restored prints that have played the Dome several times before and they are excellent. “The Golden Head” and “Holiday in Spain” are 70mm with severe color fading and frankly not very good films. It indeed is a rare chance to see them though. The two three strip Cinerama films are definitely worth the trip to Hollywood, wish I could be there myself! Here’s a little more info since the Arclight website has yet to be updated:

JSittig1
JSittig1 on August 15, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Tickets are avialable on the website, arclightcinemas.com.
Its a little difficult to find at this time. Once you’re on the site,
click on ARCLIGHT PRESENTS and that will get you to the Cinerama tickets sales.

RGreenhalgh
RGreenhalgh on August 16, 2009 at 1:11 am

Many are coming in from all over the world for this rare opportunity to see these vintage films in thier original format. This is the link to order tickets: View link

SHOWING ON THE GIANT CINERAMA DOME CURVED SCREEN

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 8th
THIS IS CINERAMA in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 12:00 NOON
HOW THE WEST WAS WON in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 3:30 PM

CINERAMA 70MM MEGENTA-SCOPE DOUBLE FEATURE
THE GOLDEN HEAD 8:00 PM
HOLIDAY IN SPAIN 10:00 PM
(These are the only known prints of these two 70mm Cinerama productions. Both films are faded with, magenta being the primary remaining color. “The Golden Head” was never released in the United States.)

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 9th
HOW THE WEST WAS WON in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 1:30 PM
(the 1:30 PM performance of HTWWW includes 24 minutes of behind the scenes video footage)
THIS IS CINERAMA in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 7:30 PM

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 10th
THIS IS CINERAMA in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 12:00 NOON
HOW THE WEST WAS WON in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 3:30 PM
HOW THE WEST WAS WON in 3 panel Cinerama with 7 channel sound 8:00 PM
(the 8:00 PM performance of HTWWW includes 24 minutes of behind the scenes video footage)

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on August 16, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Thanks, jwr. Sounds like “Holiday in Spain” still smells after all these years! I hope Arclight mentions the print conditions or there will be a lot of unhappy people.

JSittig1
JSittig1 on August 16, 2009 at 8:13 pm

The post above Manwithnoname does mention that its a 70mm MAGENTA-SCOPE DOUBLE FEATURE. We have screened both prints and they are physically in good shape but are badly faded. They are certainly not up to ArcLights high standards, but I thought that GOLDEN HEAD, never released in the United States, and HOLIDAY IN SPAIN, largely forgotten would make a unusual double bill for curious movie-goers.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on August 16, 2009 at 9:29 pm

John, I agree that this rare showing is attractive and I have purchased my tix. However, the information about print quality is not on the Arclight website and I believe someone who did not read these comments here or on Dave’s website but read the tasty descriptions on the Arclight site would have reason to complain when those faded prints hit the screen. Personally I feel I am also missing something as my tickets are for Tuesday’s screening of HTWWW which appears to mean I will miss the 25 minutes of extra footage. Arclight should trumpet these screenings (and the “Mad World” screening) because they are so special but the listings are buried behind generic titles “Arclight presents”, “August at Arclight” and are not even listed in the Coming Soon section. I have discussed on the Cinerama Dome page before the lack of promotion given to these screenings. Arclight doesn’t even mention 3-strip Cinerama for the films that are and the “Mad World” description doesn’t mention it’s in 70mm. I just don’t get it. Everyone on this site wants these screenings to be successful so there will be more but SELL the show already and don’t leave it up to other websites to do it for you. Sorry, but I am very passionate about this.

mdmjcc2
mdmjcc2 on August 25, 2009 at 12:15 am

I really want to see the credits for “the Golden Head” but can’t get out to LA. Will anyone be there who could take video (or stills)?

I would certainly cover expenses to video/photos. I would even pay for your tickets.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment