Fire damages Peterborough theater
PETERBOROUGH, NH — Opened in 1914 as the Gem, the Peterborough Community Theater was damaged by fire on April 30. Firefighters were able to limit the damage.
Friday night, movie and restaurant patrons evacuated onto School Street after people inside the Peterborough Community Theatre Building spotted a fire. Officials said the fire may have started in a ceiling fan, which authorities will continue to investigate Saturday.
“We were in the movie, almost all the way through, and we said, ‘It smelled like smoke,’ and we thought it was just part of the movie. Then, we heard the alarms going off, and we thought that was part of the movie also,” said an evacuated movie patron.
There is more detail in WMUR.