The latest movie theater news and updates
January 23, 2004
A prankster puts the Madison Theatre up for sale on eBay, the Times Square Theater still searches for a savior, Yahoo and Fandango join forces on movie ticketing, and a nutrionist shares the bad news about movie refreshments (sadly) — all in today’s newsreel.
- EBay listing of Madison Theater hoax
- Group Wants Fox to Be Downtown Centerpiece
- Center seeks final funds to buy Roxy
- Theater deal ignites town identity crisis
- Curtain to rise on historical Yuma theater – again
- Mann Theatres proposes five-screener for Westwood
- THE DIET DETECTIVE: Getting Fat at the Movies
- Yahoo! Movies and Fandango Announce Long-Term Movie Ticketing Relationship
- 42nd Street’s Times Square Theatre Continues Search for Tenant
- These old houses: Historical preservation can pay off
FULLERTON, CA — The Fox Fullerton writes:
“If you attend just one meeting for the Fox, make it this one. It is critical that we pack the auditorium to show community support for saving the Fox! We will present our latest plans, and there will be an opportunity to give input. This may be our last chance to save this wonderful theatre.
• Rare vintage photos of the Fox from the Academy of Motion Pictures!
• Never-before-shown photos from private collections showing unique, hidden details!
• Artists' renderings of the Fox as an independent, art film center and live stage venue!
January 22, 2004
BALTIMORE, MD — Thanks to Ed Dobbins, we’ve got some photos from the demolition of the Grand Theatre, which began on Monday.
Animation of the Grand’s demolition
PITTSBURG, CA — Another change of fate for the “Enean Theatre” in downtown Pittsburg. After being anything but a movie theater for over 50 years, the theater will now be restored and brought back to its former use of exhibiting motion pictures and other events.
January 21, 2004
Roger Katz sent in some photos of the Dealey Center Theater:
“I saw an item on the Dealey Center Theater on today’s newsreel on Cinema Treasures. Here are some photos of the theater. If you do post these, credit them to Liz Katz as she actually took them and sent them to me.”
(For more information, read the original story in “The Dolphin”.)
BEIJING, CHINA — Wanda Group and Warner Bros. International Cinemas (WBIC) have jointly created Warner Wanda Cinemas (working name) for the building and operating of some 30 “state-of-the-art, world-class multiplex cinemas” in all of Wanda Group’s shopping complexes, which are currently under construction or planned to be built.
January 20, 2004
DES PLAINES, IL – Aldermen in Des Plaines have decided to hold off on providing up to $60,000 in funds to study the viability of converting the historic Des Plaines Theatre into a performing arts venue until they learn if the theater’s new owner, Dhitu Bagwakar, plans to follow the study’s recommendations.
According to a report in the Daily Herald, Bagwakar is currently screening East Indian features at the twin theater. Many of the alderman have issues about giving funds to a private business, as well as the need for another performing arts center in the area, after the new Metropolis Theater in nearby downtown Arlington Heights failed.
That venue is currently in the midst of a debate over whether the city of Arlington Heights should take over the Metropolis or it should be taken over by another private organization.