Babylon Cinemas

34 W. Main Street,
Babylon, NY 11702

robboehm
robboehm on September 17, 2017 at 6:58 pm

No change in the visuals.

robboehm
robboehm on August 23, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Pod storage container in the parking lot. No other visuals.

paul baar
paul baar on August 9, 2017 at 8:10 am

Texas2step down load photo is a Classic,10 out of 10 !

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 5, 2017 at 2:46 pm

For that matter, I wonder how many of the Greatest Generation, or the Baby Boomers, or the Gen-Xers, etc., even care right now…

robboehm
robboehm on August 5, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Anytime you have to rely on the news media you have “alternate truths”. I actually have seen the article describing the construction of the Capitol in 1925 referred to in the opening. Ken Roe’s photo of the Babylon is 1925.

The truth, however, is that this theater, along with 2/3rds of the others no longer exist. And, quite frankly, I wonder as time goes on how many of the millenials and beyond will even care.

wally 75
wally 75 on August 3, 2017 at 10:05 pm

PS: IF YOU GO TO PHOTO PAGE 4 YOU CAN SEE THE BUILDING TO THE RIGHT.. NOT SURE WHEN IT BECAME A PARKING LOT..I KNOW THE IT WAS STILL THERE IN THE 70’S.

wally 75
wally 75 on August 3, 2017 at 9:48 pm

It was easy to put Babylon back together again it was built in the shell of the same exact spot…I don’t know if you can still see it… if you go to the south east corner of DPA and Main look up you can see where two kinds of brick along crack..the only major work was the roof where steel fell. there was no “adjacent land”..That parking lot next store was an apartments and stores that were there before the theatre.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm

The 1932 Film Daily Year Book lists two cinemas for Babylon, the Babylon Theatre with 1,050 seats, and the Capitol Theatre with 800 seats. The mystery deepens. This CT listing claims that the Babylon was a re-naming of the Capitol, which may not be true…Also, reportage of the 1955 fire mentions a previous fire at the Babylon Theatre in January, 1944, which resulted in an extensive re-modelling. Harry Berkmier, manager of the Babylon Theatre in 1944, had been promoted to Prudential district manager by the time of the 1955 fire.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 3, 2017 at 11:26 am

Was this cinema actually built on the site of the burned-out theatre, or was it already under construction on an adjacent parcel of land? I’m puzzled that it was fully completed within five months of the fire. Surely it would have taken longer. Firstly, wasn’t an investigation required before insurance could be paid? Also, an architect had to be commissioned and plans approved before building began. Just asking. Perhaps I’m being overly suspicious.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 1, 2017 at 9:56 am

You’re welcome! Article published in September, 1955 suggests that the new cinema opened in that year, and not in 1956 as stated in the listing’s introduction.

paul baar
paul baar on August 1, 2017 at 7:10 am

comfortably cool-THANKS FOR THE NEW PICTURES ON THE PHOTO PAGE;IT SHOWS ALL INSIDE THE BABYLON THEATER,AND THE CONCESSION STAND TOO !

robboehm
robboehm on July 21, 2017 at 11:13 am

Interesting but it was only about a Constance Bannister baby caption contest rather than anything about actual movie goings on. Didn’t realize they had run such a contest since I always lived in Century Theaters territory.

paul baar
paul baar on July 20, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Anyone interested in listening to an old radio commercial for Prudential theaters from the old WGLI station go to www.wa2fnq.com/wgli/gli.htm

robboehm
robboehm on July 9, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Dumpster has been removed. Nothing else observable.

robboehm
robboehm on July 8, 2017 at 9:43 am

Wally, anything on the flyers you mentioned per my comment a week or so back?

wally 75
wally 75 on July 7, 2017 at 9:45 pm

WE WERE FIRST IN NEW YORK CITY AND L.A. UA. TO OPEN JAWS 1975..IT OPENED WIDE 2 WEEKS LATER..@ ALL RED CARPET THEATRES.WALDO CAME FALL 1975..

paul baar
paul baar on July 7, 2017 at 11:49 am

wally75,Sorry if I made a good thing bad. Was The Great Waldo Pepper the first movie you were the manager for at the Rivoli theater? Were there any special showings or premiers that you like remembering for other movies ? Can you tell me who was the manager at the Babylon theater when you were an usher, and did he give you any insight how a theater should be run?

wally 75
wally 75 on July 6, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I MAY HAVE SENT IT TO ONE OF YOUR BLOGS AND OR E MAIL MAY HAVE POSTED IT WRONG..GREAT WALDO PEPPER RIVOLI AND PHOTOS I SENT YOU ARE NOT ON CT. MISTER WGLI IS THE E MAIL THAT CT HAS ON FILE..

paul baar
paul baar on June 30, 2017 at 2:07 pm

wally75, A O K.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 29, 2017 at 8:14 pm

PAUL

paul baar
paul baar on June 29, 2017 at 7:06 am

wally75,Check out my photos of the Rivoli on photo page ,1979 Moonraker showing.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 28, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Paul: In mid 60’s saw SOUND OF MUSIC AT RIVOLI N.Y. in D-150..said some day I will manage this..in 1975 I did.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm

PAUL: Painted seats, restrooms,exit doors in and out..Never manager of Babylon..would like to be part of the revamp..

paul baar
paul baar on June 28, 2017 at 9:22 am

wally75,Thanks for your reply.When did you stop working at the Babylon theater,and were you the manager at one time too? I read you were the manager at the Rivoli theater in NYC.You must have had to have been a jack of all trades for that job. I read while you were at the Babylon theater you even painted the exit doors.