AMC Clifton Commons 16

405 Route 3 East,
Clifton, NJ 07013

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 13, 2017 at 8:30 pm

@RHETT52 –
Hmm looks like Clifton is not using #12 though for the Princess Bride TCM but #7. I know #8 and #9 are the only two screens there large at all, but do you know what #7 is like? Being next to the biggest two maybe it is their second largest size at least? It’s not one of the little shoeboxes is it?

Do you think they’d get a nice crowd really into it at this theater?

Not sure any of the TCM options for this sound great in the region since the inexplicable pull from Rockaway.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 13, 2017 at 8:18 pm

@RGETT52 – ah man sorry to hear about the messed up TCM showings here. Now even more annoyed they are not showing Princess Bride 30th at Rockaway. They have a huge screen there for TCM and it’s always packed for movies of this mid to late 80s hit of this sort. The other place that also gets huge crowds for type of movie is the New Brunswick location, so go figure, the two screen AMC decides to not show it on are…. Rockaway and New Brunswick! NB area at least has a none AMC that will take over the crowds. But Rockaway area has nothing good, Wayne is old with tiny screens and few show up for the 80s stuff there. Hanover is small and they don’t get as good crowds for this stuff either. Then Paramus has it but they get lesser crowds for this stuff than Rockaway does too and they seem to have stuck in #6 which I think might the single tiny little shoebox they have there (unless #7 is the shoebox?).

I bet Rockaway would’ve pulled in something like 60+ for the 2PM and 180 for the 7PM on Sunday for that title, mayne 220+ if they just had one showing. There is no way in the world what they are using the screen for instead will do better than that. Wayne and Hanover will probably be luck to get as many as 20 for any showing. And the Rockaway TCM screen is so much better, at least 50' wide and it’s really tall so it plays 1.85:1 aspect ratio stuff at a huge scale. They also finally got the color levels right for TCM stuff again so it’s neither crushed shadows nor faded and pale and they also have the focus spot on there now at that screen and 4k going. (annoyingly looks like they also pulled Casablanca from Rockaway too). I just don’t get how AMC does their scheduling. They literally put stuff in all the screens where it does worst and don’t on the screen where it would do best.

RHETT52
RHETT52 on July 11, 2017 at 10:24 am

I commented last Summer about the dreadful experience of the TCM Thelma and Louise screening. I decided to give this theater another shot for SOME LIKE IT HOT with TCM. When TCM sends these films they’re supposed to start the screening 30 min before start time as they have all the promos, ads, trivia and countdown to start. This theater (along with Garden State 16 in Paramus and Loews in Wayne) seem to be incompetent when it comes to running theaters. I myself will go to an employees telling them to start the program as there’s a 30 min pre-show (I know that, how come they don’t) They wait till 5 min before the show, hit the switch and the countdown is on. They don’t take into account that it’s 30 min. Many times, patrons are phoning from their seats to management informing them, then the projection booth will scan the hard drive- you see all this on screen. It happened at Garden State and Loews too. At CLIFTON, once again , no one thought to turn the lights out. At least 4 people got up from their seat to tell them. Also, in theater #12 where they show the TCM films, they don’t adjust the screen for the aspect ration- and the sound is not sharp. They need to repair it. I’m never going there for TCM films again. There’s no manager around and the kid taking tickets who seems to run the show does not know what he’s doing. I miss the days when theaters were run by professionals.

moviebuff82 on May 18, 2017 at 11:38 am

I don’t know…ask amc’s facebook page?

poland626
poland626 on May 18, 2017 at 6:35 am

Is there a reason why many sites, including amc’s own site, that it says Alien is playing in TWO dolby cinema theaters? At 12pm, 1pm, 3pm, and 4pm? What’s going on here?

Puppygnu
Puppygnu on April 28, 2017 at 6:50 pm

It’s Friday. That means that now this AMC location has reserved seating at its built-in IMAX.

moviebuff82 on April 26, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Starting Friday, the imax will have it too.

poland626
poland626 on April 5, 2017 at 6:40 am

I see reserved seating now

moviebuff82 on March 29, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Currently no reserved seating as of yet. Next movie will be the 2017 reboot of Ghost in the Shell.

moviebuff82 on March 25, 2017 at 11:21 am

Dolby Cinema now open with Beauty and the Beast.

moviebuff82 on March 1, 2017 at 4:42 pm

AMC correctly labeled this theater under NJ tab on amc website.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on January 19, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Other than for the two big houses here, as best as I can recall the other screens ranged from fairly small (probably the size of the very smallest screens at the Rockaway AMC) to true old 80s multiplex shoebox size (very noticeably smaller than anything at the new Rockaway AMC more like some of the tiny ones at Parsippany which also has pretty much small to shoebox screens other than for the two bigger ones).

(Smallest all time screen I have ever seen was one of the ones at the old Paramus Stanley Warner after their final round of sub-dividing. They took the giant 2000 double deck palace and split it eventually eight screens! on two levels. Once saw a movie in one of those and it was seriously barely larger than the biggest HDTV you find today. I seriously don’t think it was more than 10 feet wide!)

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on January 19, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I was wondering why no movies seemed to be listed for #8 when I checked back in December and again today. I was hoping it had meant when they put in the IMAX they had combined the two THX houses into one really huge IMAX screen. I guess not though.

Haven’t seen a movie here in a long time. Perhaps getting back to the Attack of the Clones days!

I liked their THX screen back then since the speakers were both great and not absurdly ear-damaging loud like at most places. THX quality sound but with the loud but reasonable volume most theaters used to use way back once upon a time.

It wasn’t the world’s biggest screen but not too bad in size, especially for back then. I wonder how big it is now that they converted it to IMAX. I’d guess it has to be at least a bit smaller than the Rockaway IMAX since I just see how they could fit a screen that size in there and certainly no match for the Paramus IMAX.

poland626
poland626 on January 14, 2017 at 2:38 am

no update on Dolby theater. Called up and was told “sometime soon”

moviebuff82 on January 10, 2017 at 4:23 pm

According to the amc theatres website go click on the link for amc prime. It’s under the New York tab.

moviebuff82 on December 15, 2016 at 11:30 am

theater 8 is the former thx house it will become a Dolby Cinema at AMC soon.

moviebuff82 on December 14, 2016 at 11:30 am

Theater #8 is being renovated as it is now gutted.

moviebuff82 on November 22, 2016 at 1:35 pm

One thing they could do is remove the stars and streaks from the general cinema days. Then they can put in recliners and reserved seating. The former THX screen should be an AMC Prime. ALso, increased security at the parking lots!!!

moviebuff82 on October 3, 2016 at 3:49 pm

I agree markp. Ever since the advent of DVD with theater quality picture and sound, the advent of Blurays, then DVRs and streaming, have kept people from attending the movies. Stuff like live opera and special events is bringing people to the movies while 3d and IMAX draw the big bucks. This theater is nearing 20 years old and needs a big upgrade.

markp
markp on August 25, 2016 at 8:39 am

And now you know why RHETT52, long time projectionists like myself who cared and gave 110% are no longer employed and why theres no more film. I see these digital downloads at the theatre I do projection once in a while. These kids don’t understand 2:35 or 1:85. If they would print flat or scope you might have a chance. And I love that excuse, that’s the way they sent it. Might have worked in the old days when a print was scratched but no more. The business has really gone down hill the past 10 to 15 years.

RHETT52
RHETT52 on August 25, 2016 at 5:38 am

Went to see THELMA and LOUISE yesterday. Before it started, I heard the high school employees in the projection booth unsure about what to do. The girl hit the button the movie started and it played the whole time in widescreen (2:35) format in a flat screen (1:85) and the pic was dark. They never adjusted the projector or screen. Add to that, the side lights were on in the theater the entire time as well as on the screen and they didn’t keystone the image, it was sloping on an angle. One might say, I should have gotten up out of my seat to tell them, my answer would be, “Shouldn’t the theater make sure the film is playing right and the customer doesn’t need to do that?”, plus, I’m positive some kid at the desk would have said that’s the way they sent the film, as well as, there was no one at the desk all afternoon. Theaters are run by kids who have no idea (or care) about what to do and to ensure the film plays right. it cost me $13.50. They have “King and I' coming up this weekend, I’m sure they’ll screw that up too, I will not attend the Commons theater

moviebuff82 on June 11, 2016 at 6:39 pm

15 years ago was the last time that General Cinema ran this theater. When AMC bought the bankrupt chain, they installed some digital projectors, raised prices, changed the soda from pepsi to coke, and retrofitted a large auditorium to a digital imax, yet left some parts unchanged.

moviebuff82 on May 15, 2015 at 4:07 am

according to the thx website, this theater was delisted from the website recently.

moviebuff82 on August 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm

The only traces of General Cinema are the front of the theater with the yellow stars near the streaks and the blue banner across the sign. The digital showtimes inside the lobby are still there as well as near the left wing of the theater in green LED lights as well as the purple paint inside the building.