Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,433 comments

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on April 18, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Dear All,

Thank you for your passion for the Kings Theatre.

As Mike noted above, about once a year we’re forced to delete off-subject comments and those that degenerate into personal attacks from one page on this site. I truly appreciate all of your passion but we want to make sure comment threads do not become hijacked by inter-user squabbles.

As the son of a proud Erasmus graduate and former Loew’s Kings moviegoer, I’ll add that I’m also completely thrilled that the Kings is back. If there are inaccuracies in our entry above, please email any corrections to our illustrious editor Ken Roe at .

Thanks for your understanding and hope to see you in Brooklyn someday soon!

markp
markp on April 18, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I for one dont care (well I really do) who was responsible for saving the Kings Theatre. The point is that it was saved, and is back in business. You should be glad you have a company running it who knows what theyre doing. We here in Jersey have the Loews Jersey which needs a ton of work, and the Ritz in Elizabeth whose owner spent millions restoring it, and now it sits there doing nothing. We can only hope someone takes them over and they return to their former glory.

JamesD
JamesD on April 18, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Orlando,

They do? I’ve never heard of you before reading your posts on this page. If you did save the Kings, that should be celebrated, not hidden. I’m sure a lot of the people on this page would love to hear how that happened.

Mike – I stand by what I said earlier.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 18, 2015 at 9:48 am

Orlando, it’s true than an eyewitness is often the best source of first-hand accounts, but there are many ways to arrive at the truth.

If there are errors in the introduction, I suggest you inform the site through the proper channels (which I’m sure you have done) and leave out the personal attacks on parties unknown. Your comment of April 16 at 9:40am was probably written out of frustration but it really should be deleted. You are working your dream job and have accomplished a lot, so these petty spats just sully this website.

And JamesD, your response of April 17, 5:36am was a bit out of line as well.

Let’s all delete this section of the comments before the webmaster has to do it for us.

Orlando
Orlando on April 18, 2015 at 8:16 am

Mike, I assume you meant petty and not pretty. As for deleting comments, that won’t happen because the truth is the truth. Some newspapers get all the stories wrong and tell you what you want to hear. If you really believe Marty Markowitz saved the Kings, think again!

Orlando
Orlando on April 18, 2015 at 8:11 am

JamesD,

My credentials speak for themselves and I certainly don’t have to prove anything to you. What I said is exactly T R U E!

JamesD
JamesD on April 17, 2015 at 10:40 am

I was 10 years old when the Kings closed, but I did see films at other movie palaces, including the Valencia and the RKO Keiths. I’ve been following the Kings possible return since the early 90s, and have visited the theater since it reopened.

I’ve never heard your name beyond this site before, so what exactly do you mean by “As a matter of fact, if it weren’t for me, there would be no Kings Theatre today.” ?

Orlando
Orlando on April 17, 2015 at 10:29 am

JamesD: It is not the stupidest statement ever made on this site but an accurate one. I lived and experienced it during the last 50 years of my life. If you can say the same, good for you and maybe you can write an introduction fitting the Loew’s Kings and Kings Theatre as it is now known. Did you ever see a film at the theatre, better yet have you seen it after its' re-opening. Were you born in 1977 or a little before??? You don'’t have to answer the questions because I really don’t care about what you have to say. I watched over this building over the 37 years it was closed visiting every year, several times the years. I know the true story of the Kings while in operation and during its' closed years and the meetings to save it. As a matter of fact, if it weren’t for me, there would be no Kings Theatre today. And I am not stupid, Erasmus Hall High School gave us all in 1974 a great HS, if not a college education.

JamesD
JamesD on April 17, 2015 at 5:26 am

“If you haven’t lived and experienced it first hand, then regrettably you don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I’ve read some stupid statements on Cinema Treasures in the past, but that was by far the stupidest. I agree that Cinema Treasures can be inaccurate, but such is the case with a lot of user edited postings (such as wikipedia.) I guess everyone who attended movie palaces in their heyday should write everything down so that everyone else can know exactly what to talk about.

At the same time we should probably stop listening to historians about ancient Greece, the Civil War, etc because they were born long after it happened and obviously don’t know what they are talking about.

Orlando
Orlando on April 16, 2015 at 9:40 am

By the way, there is a lot of wrong information in the introduction that needs to be corrected. You need someone who lived and attended the theatre and not some incorrect statements and rumors made by people born after 1977 to get a true introduction. If you haven’t lived and experienced it first hand, then regrettably you don’t know what your talking about.

Orlando
Orlando on April 16, 2015 at 9:31 am

On January 23, 2015, the event listed in the intro never happened due to a snow storm. It should be removed from the introduction of Kings Theatre. That event will happen on Monday, April 27th 2015 (the rescheduled date).

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 8, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Searching is weird sometimes. The theaters that pop up are the Open ones, then you have to find the tab with the closed or demolished ones…

What I do when I can’t find something specific is look for a nearby theater, in this case I looked up the Fox, and in the column on the right is a short list of nearby houses, and often — voila!

LuisV
LuisV on April 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Mike, I have no idea why it wasn’t popping up in my Theater/Theatre search nor was it in the Brooklyn Search. But I got an email notifying me when you posted there so thank you! This is great News! Now if someone would only save the Loew’s Canal!

LuisV
LuisV on April 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Today it was announced that LIU will be embarking on a $50MM renovation of the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre which has been used as an Athletic facility for the college for the last 50 years! The restoration will take about two years! Amazingly I have search CT for the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre and can’t find it. There is another Paramount listed in Bushwick. It must be here, no?? :–) http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/08/reborn_paramount_theater_in_brooklyn_will_look_like_this.php#more

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 7, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I know this is late notice, but tonight, April 7th, at 8:30, WNYE-TV channel 25 will be airing an episode of their Blueprint NYC series devoted to the Loew’s Wonder Theaters. If you miss it, you may be able to watch the episode at their website after it has aired.

robboehm
robboehm on April 6, 2015 at 11:16 am

OMG The photos are breathtaking. I don’t know how I would react to actually be there.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 6, 2015 at 8:06 am

Saw the Disney show (Three Classic Fairy Tales) Saturday night, and it wasn’t half bad…!

But the theater itself and the real reason I went) was spectacular in a very muted way. Lots of dark wood, earth tones, and general good taste. The lobby was a little darker than the auditorium, which had lots of gold leaf trim and highlights. You can easily see why the theater was never subdivided — the ceiling is soaring and the auditorium is w i d e…

The photos of the place are usually bright and well-lit, to show the detail, but in actual use the theater lighting is much more subdued, as you might expect in a performance space. It isn’t a grand ballroom, after all, although it resembles one!

That said, the view from the mezzanine is breathtaking.

It always breaks my heart a little to know that I missed the days when people only had to pay a quarter or a dollar to enter these neighborhood fantasy wonderlands for a couple of hours; today the cost, if you are lucky enough to find a working movie palace, is considerably more.

markp
markp on April 2, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Thanks so much Matt. And Mike, I would go in a heart beat, but I am loading out a religious show Sat till well after 8 pm.

markp
markp on March 29, 2015 at 5:23 am

Did not know it was on. Missed it.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 28, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Nice report on Saturday’s NBC Nightly News…

Orlando
Orlando on March 23, 2015 at 8:57 am

To Mr. Greenberg.

The furnishings, couch, king high back chairs, the wooden carved chair, the two Louis the XIV patterned chairs, round table, and two marrle top tables are now on view in the upprr mezzanine restroom all restored. No one is allowed to sit on them and they are ropped off. Your aunt, Dorothy Penzica (please forgive me if I spelt the last name wrong, was manager of the Loew's Kings when I was attending the theatre from 1966 to 1975. I remember her well. At the time (1970-1974), I worked at the Granada Theatre at Church and Nostrand Avenues. There was a policy between the seven theatres to pass employees from the Beverly, Kenmore, Astor, Albemarle, Granada, Kings and Rialto to each other for coplimentary movies. I always paid to see movies at these theatres and didn't ask for passes to the other theatres and was unaware of the policy. In 1972, I told my manager at the Granada (Mr. Sam L.) that I was going to the "Loew-eze" to see a movie and he said he would call me in a pass. Being unawre ot the pass policy, I told him I didn,t know about and he said to me "You've been paying to go to all those theatres? Ha! Ha!" and I said yes. He then told me about the policy and got me into the Loew's Kings. When I got there, your aunt, Mrs. Penzica was called out to the box office and personally escorted me into the theatre on my pass. She said to me, "I've seen you here before many times and took me to the office. She offered me a job and I said, "I've worked at the Granada for four years and the staff there is like my second family and like me a lot." She understood as she smiled at me. I said "Thank you very much for the offer and told her "I loved the Loew's Kings very much" She replied, "Thank you and you are welcome here anytime." What a fantastic manager she was and a fine person she is to deed the furniture back to Kings Theatre. I will watch over it in her memory as long as I am an employee of her Kings Theatre. Working there today was a life long dream of mine and it became true when I was offered a position at the theatre by the current ACE Theatrical Group for which I have the highest gratitude. Thank you Matt (for taking care of your own), Charley (for spotting me take a picture of the facade) and Jason and Dan for training me for a live venue. Most of all the Front of House Staff (you all know who you are), for being the great people that you are, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

and look forward to seeing you every time I work, you are my family at every event in our Kings Theatre.

Sincerely yours,

Orlando Lopes

NYer
NYer on March 23, 2015 at 8:41 am

Please sgreenberg report back on her reaction. I can’t imagine it would be anything but a thrill for her to see how glorious this cinema treasure looks now.