Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,510 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm

More than one party looked into multiplexing this place but given its dimensions it proved impractical.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 6, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Had Loews kept the theater open through its corporate history it would’ve gotten multiplexed in the 1980s and in the 90s with Sony owning the theater have SDDS in the screens as well as plush seats along with recliners by AMC. At least the Kings has become a popular venue for performing arts.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on September 6, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Of course that is how it would have been intended to be lit originally. An array of colors, with no white bulbs, amber being the brightest, displayed from recessed coves giving a luminous, atmospheric, and slightly mysterious glow to the auditorium. Dazzling and brilliant probably wasn’t what the original designers had in mind.

Orlando
Orlando on September 6, 2016 at 1:33 pm

The organ is in ivory with gold trimmings,sorry for the typo.

Orlando
Orlando on September 6, 2016 at 1:29 pm

The house lights are now fully lit and are on a dimmer. This happened during the first 6 months and was corrected. Remember all the lobby tubular light fixtures were not replaced also decreasing the beauty of the entrance lobby. However, some great news, the Robert Morton Organ console is now (as of 9/1/2017) on display in the rear promenade, fully restored inioory and gold trimmings. I have photos, but as an employee, I am prohibited from posting them here. IT IS SPECTACULAR to see it up close. So, come on down and see a show, look or ask for me, and as a paying guest, I’ll give you a short history. PLEASE change seating count to 3,398. Thank You and I’ll see you at Kings Theatre. TODAY the Loew’s Kings Theatre turns 87 years old. Happy Birthday to my baby!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 18, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I saw a show there soon after it opened and one difference between seeing the photos here and actually being there is that it is not as well lit in person. The house lights and lobby lights are down (at half?) as the patrons enter the building and the auditorium, as they should be. But this means that all the restoration work is not as eye-popping because the house is not lit for photo-taking but is lit for actual use, which means the show is the star and not the theater.

Of course it is still magnificent but in an elegant, more subdued way.

Do they have the houselights on full for the tours?

Orlando
Orlando on August 18, 2016 at 1:24 pm

The tours are not worth the price and travel. New management have no idea of the neighborhood or the “history of the Loew’s Kings”. They only discuss the renovation of the KIngs Theatre. The tours are also very short. Instead of the tour, come and see a show and view the theatre at the same time. It’s the best way. Beleive me, I know!

Orlando
Orlando on August 18, 2016 at 1:17 pm

The screen for Star Wars was 30' wide and 17' tall. As a kid I remember it as 36' wide and 20' tall. Yet, it looked great.

markp
markp on August 11, 2016 at 4:24 pm

walterk, I am trying to co-ordinate with my wife to take one of these tours in the coming months. We shall see.

walterk
walterk on August 11, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Mike (saps), I stand corrected. I had looked at the Kings website as recently as June to see if there were tours (I was visiting the area most of July) and didn’t find any information then, so I thought when a Facebook announcement on Monday said they were “kicking off our monthly tours today”, it was something new.

What I was looking for when I found the tour info was the pricing for the Star Wars Trilogy, which was a topic here. As tickets were no longer being sold, all I could find was an article that mentioned tickets started at $55, which would be for a balcony seat and the price that was mentioned in a comment above. One person commented to the article that with ticketmaster charges, two advance tickets came to $131.

I’m hoping my next visit to NYC this December coincides with at least one of the tour dates that month, that would be a holiday treat!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 9, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I think they have been giving tours for some time now, about twice a month…evenings, weekends, different schedules. Their e-mailings give the dates and times.

walterk
walterk on August 9, 2016 at 12:00 pm

markp, believe it or not, today is the first public tour of the Kings, cost $15.00. This is going to be a regular event, there are 2 more tours later this month, one an evening event with a glass of wine. That might cost more. You can get more details by clicking the link to the Kings website on this page.

markp
markp on August 9, 2016 at 9:42 am

Admittingly, I completely forgot about this until a friend of mine posted on facebook that he was there. By then it was too late for me to start driving to get there. I would have loved to be there. This was the event I wanted to go to so I could see the renovated theatre.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 9, 2016 at 1:56 am

I checked when I first found out about it. I think they were $55.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 9, 2016 at 12:18 am

How much were the tickets?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 8, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Unfortunately, with almost no advertising for these special events, there would have been few people attending high priced Star Wars screening. I also would like to know more- was curtain used? was there surround sound?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 8, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Orlando, was there a big crowd? If the event was a success, maybe more film showings will be added to the Kings' menu?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 8, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I too would like to hear a more detailed report…

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on August 8, 2016 at 6:38 pm

How many people were there for the show? What type of gear did they bring in to run it? I would have liked to be there but one-day events are hard to get to in the summer.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on August 8, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I would’ve gone if I didn’t live 700 miles away.

Orlando
Orlando on August 8, 2016 at 11:57 am

The Sound Of Movies commenced at 2 PM as the Star Wars was to presented at the former Loew’s Kings. This is the first movies presented since August 30, 1977 when the theatre closed. Yes, 39 years later (shy three weeks). I was in heaven as I sat center balcony and saw all three films. This once in a lifetime event is not likely to be repeated as films are not on the Kings menu. Where were all you people who shouted to save the Kings and now that it’s open never showed up?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Too bad I can’t go. It’s the same day as Paul McCartney’s MetLife stadium concert. I hope they show more movies at the Kings in the near future. Pete, I hope YOU can go!

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on June 30, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Contrary to the above post, the Star Wars Trilogy is coming to the Kings, tickets go on sale Friday, July 1 at 10am:

TICKETS

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I think he meant that the Star Wars films aren’t being shown on film there or anywhere. The Star Wars Trilogy Tour is on DCP. Will still be awesome, the tour is going to a number of former movie Palaces including the Kings, the Boston Opera House/Keith’s Memorial, and the Oakland Paramount. Great to see those films on the big screen in the kind of theatres they were meant for!

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 14, 2016 at 3:09 pm

“The Star Wars Films are not going to be shown here”

That’s too bad, it would have been worth crossing the two rivers for that show.