Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,457 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 21, 2015 at 10:31 am

The Coranado theatre marquee in rockford once was struck and ripped open by a truck passing too close after the theatre was re-opened. Guess it isn’t too hard if the driver is distracted and doesn’t realize the size of his truck and how close he may be. And this was before cell phones!

theatrefan
theatrefan on July 21, 2015 at 9:15 am

The new marquee is exactly to the edge of the sidewalk, so these truck drivers are not driving as carefully as they should.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on July 21, 2015 at 8:39 am

How are trucks hitting the marquee? Does it extend past the sidewalk?

theatrefan
theatrefan on July 21, 2015 at 8:06 am

They can also put poles on the sidewalk underneath the marquee to keep the trucks away, the Kent has them. I don’t think the 1949 marquee was dinged up as much, but it was much better constructed.

robboehm
robboehm on July 21, 2015 at 6:56 am

You’d think they’d set them back from the road a bit.

theatrefan
theatrefan on July 21, 2015 at 5:18 am

Apparently a truck hit the marquee again, the Kings name on the front of it is no longer lit, hope they fix it soon.

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 30, 2015 at 5:28 am

The old vertical stayed on for a very long time, I remember taking pictures of it around 2000. Although the neon letters were off, you could still make out the outline of the former LOEW’S name. I would assume when the Terra Cotta got fixed, they would have to make sure the support structure underneath would have to be up to code as well.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I’ve heard the steel support work at the Jersey is too far gone to reinstall their vertical sign at present. I suppose that might be one positive thing to come from a big time company taking over, though I don’t generally care for the idea. I wonder what condition the support structure at the Kings is in?

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 22, 2015 at 11:36 pm

LuisV is right. A neon/bulb vertical is the finishing touch that a theatre needs. The show really does begin with the signage outfront!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 18, 2015 at 10:49 am

Hey fellas, I wasn’t thinking that, I was just quoting Orlando.

I actually WANT to see a new vertical sign installed, lighting up Flatbush Avenue and visible from blocks away!

LuisV
LuisV on June 18, 2015 at 8:01 am

Mike, I full hear what you are saying and I would like to agree, but……..there is nothing that says “Theatre” than a Blade! I want a Blade to return to the Kings and also to the Loew’s Jersey.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 17, 2015 at 11:48 am

I know what you mean Mike. That terra cotta makes a really nice presentation. But the Kings doesn’t feel finished without a vertical sign.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 16, 2015 at 8:15 pm

On February 14, 2015, Orlando wrote: “A new replica of the vertical sign will read K I N G S with Theatre below it when it is installed at a later date. Personally, I think I would like to see the terra cotta without any sign on it.”

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 16, 2015 at 6:17 pm

They spent so many millions on this (and it looks great, I’m not complaining). But after all that why not spend a little more to put in a new vertical marquee? Does anyone know the story behind that?

Robbie25646
Robbie25646 on June 9, 2015 at 7:55 am

tntim, Thank you for posting the link to Loew’s Wonder theatres, a wonderful example of what can be done to save the theatres of yesteryear.

tntim
tntim on June 4, 2015 at 6:24 am

If you have not seen this episode of the Blueprint NYC series devoted to the Loew’s Wonder Theaters that was aired on April 7th, here is a direct link. It really is worth watching. Link

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 5, 2015 at 8:16 am

Here’s a link to interesting interview with Dornin in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle in 1931. There are nice photos of her face and in Loew’s Ohio in Columbus OH. Very interesting to learn that her professional association was not so much with Loew’s as with Thomas Lamb, gradually taking greater responsibility over the years for the decor and construction of the theaters he designed.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on May 4, 2015 at 7:49 am

No, thank you for clearing that up.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 4, 2015 at 7:46 am

Thanks Matt. I’ve never seen it spelled any other way but you are absolutely correct. Anne Dornin. Her married name was Anne D. Scudamore. Her obit can be found in the NYT on Sept 18, 1960. That explains a lot. Thanks again.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on May 4, 2015 at 6:52 am

Mark – How sure are you about her name being spelled with an “a”? I’ve only seen Dornan used in captions, but I read an interview with her about her work with Loew’s Inc that spelled it Dornin.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 2, 2015 at 7:18 pm

And, for what it’s worth, Ann Dornan ( with an a ) was the name of the decorator who worked for Loew’s in the late 1920s.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 2, 2015 at 7:14 pm

For an old theatre, or any historic place, to survive decades of neglect and to be revived in splendor, two basic things need to have happened. One, there need to have been selfless volunteers to spend hundreds and thousands of hours to keep the building alive for years and years when no one else cared. This first group is almost solely motivated by love for the place and the community. Two, there need to be powerful politicians, fundraisers and entrepreneurs to get the huge amounts of $$$$ and combine those with the right expertise to make a restoration happen. Naturally enough, the second group get all of the headlines and awards. But without the first group no restoration would or could ever have happened. They tend to be forgotten, but deserve the accolades just as much as the politicians for making it all happen.

stevenj
stevenj on April 22, 2015 at 11:15 am

The comment I just made refers to Orlando’s post of 3/23/15. It was in today’s NYTimes.

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on April 18, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Dear All,

Thank you for your passion for the Kings Theatre.

As Mike noted above, about once a year we’re forced to delete off-subject comments and those that degenerate into personal attacks from one page on this site. I truly appreciate all of your passion but we want to make sure comment threads do not become hijacked by inter-user squabbles.

As the son of a proud Erasmus graduate and former Loew’s Kings moviegoer, I’ll add that I’m also completely thrilled that the Kings is back. If there are inaccuracies in our entry above, please email any corrections to our illustrious editor Ken Roe at .

Thanks for your understanding and hope to see you in Brooklyn someday soon!