Esquire Theatre

58 East Oak Street,
Chicago, IL 60611

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on February 2, 2016 at 1:33 pm

GONE WITH THE WIND premiered simultaneously at the Woods and Oriental Theatres. Maybe GWTW played at the Esquire later in 1940; I’m not sure.

juliamcfit
juliamcfit on February 2, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Does anyone know the what the premier date for Gone With The Wind was-at the Esquire theater, in 1940? Also the dates for premiers also at esquire in spring, summer 1939. I’m looking for a magazine cover of my grandmother standing in a long line at the Esquire in 1939 or 1940. Any help would be appreciated!

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on November 16, 2015 at 10:16 am

Circa 1937 aerial photo added showing construction of the Esquire Theatre, courtesy of Javier Quevedo.

rivest266
rivest266 on November 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm

February 16th, 1938 uploaded in photo section as well as http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1938/02/16/page/17/

Also: February 2nd, 1990 grand opening ad also in photo section

mo4040
mo4040 on July 16, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Another great movie house shuttered. I remember when the Esquire ran ‘Star Wars’ non-stop in the summer of 1977.

RJT70mm
RJT70mm on November 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

In “the Sound Track Book of the Theatre” published by Motiograph in the late forties there’s an article about the Esqire’s booth and projectionist Lou Malisoff. They had Motiograph K’s, RCA 1050’s and Brenkert Enarcs.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 13, 2012 at 3:09 am

Judgement should not be passed until they finish. But to me it looks like this is going to be an extremely clumsy-looking building.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on May 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Click here to see Broan’s pictures.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on May 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Here’s what I usually do with links; I BLUE copy it; then go to my e-mail; click “COMPOSE”; paste link onto page where I would normally type e-mail; send it to myself….and then click link and WALLLLA….there’s the link with photos of video clip….

Broan
Broan on May 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Just copy and paste the address, David. I don’t always have time to mess with the HTML link formatting, but the URL address works and that’s what matters.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on May 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Broan, your above link is not accessable.
When CT changed their website format, they changed the manner in which links need to be embedded into comments.

Unfortunately I do not know what that requires. Therefore I only attach photos in the Photo Section.

Broan
Broan on May 13, 2012 at 8:14 am

Broan
Broan on August 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Broan
Broan on July 27, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Here is a 1955 photo of the topiary at the Esquire

CompassRose
CompassRose on February 21, 2011 at 12:42 am

Hmmm. You’re right, it does look like it might say Carnegie. Perhaps the eBay seller got it wrong, or the original newspaper photographer? (The actual caption says the Esquire on Rush, so something is wrong.)

I purchased images from this seller before, and he told me his negatives came from the Sun-Times or the Detroit News.

RickB
RickB on February 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm

There’s a larger version of the picture here right now. Using a zoom function to examine the sign above the admission price, I’m pretty sure that it says “CARNEGIE THEATRE”. The turnstile could be a relic of the Carnegie’s brief early existence as a newsreel theater just a couple years before. What the 12-year-old is doing on Rush Street in the dark is another matter.

Broan
Broan on February 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

The marble looks like the Esquire though.

CompassRose
CompassRose on February 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

That’s what the original caption on the photo says…the image came from a Sun-Times archive.

CompassRose
CompassRose on February 20, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Ticket booth at Esquire, 1951: Esquire.

0123456789
0123456789 on February 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm

They still use the theatre for little things like boy scotts, and farmers market I know, becuase I live over there.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 14, 2010 at 7:00 am

I think the Urban Remains listing is inaccurate. That sign is not from the 30’s, if memory serves. I think it is a recreation installed at the time of the multiplex conversion.

Broan
Broan on October 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

only if someone buys it

jwballer
jwballer on October 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm

The marquee is being salvaged :(

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on June 29, 2010 at 12:44 am

I just watched an episode of the late 1950s television series, M SQUAD, starring Lee Marvin. The exteriors were filmed in Chicago. In tonight’s episode, Lee Marvin can be seen getting into a car and across the street is the Esquire Theatre.