Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 21, 2014 at 8:21 pm

The Patio’s web site says the house is closed this Monday, but it has show times listed for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. No reason is given for the Monday closing.

GFeret
GFeret on December 21, 2014 at 6:01 pm

PATIO theatre marque was lit up and they’re showing the new Hobbitt movie this weekend there (apparently movies now shown only on weekends)

whtesoxfan56
whtesoxfan56 on November 27, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I sure hope the heating and A/C issue is tackled, at some point. It’s too bad Kouvalis didn’t take up Cullerton’s(and the city of Chicago’s) grant offer to fix the A/C system, when it was offered. I wonder if his successor, will try to help the new owner(s) get that resolved, if they request that grant again?

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 23, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Wonder who will pay for the heat/ac to be fixed? Ald. Cullerton is retiring I heard so the city’s help may be off the table. Anyway I hope the classic movie people return someday to show their wonderful programs!

whtesoxfan56
whtesoxfan56 on November 20, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Good news about the Patio that broke today: it’s going to reopen, under a leasing agreement by the same group of people who run the Portage. I’m a little skeptical of Carranza, but at least there haven’t been any probs with the Portage, since it reopened in June of this year, so a yay for me for now, on hearing this news. I still hope to have my Patio projection booth pics added to my Flickr album I linked to one post above, at some point very soon.

whtesoxfan56
whtesoxfan56 on November 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I never knew about Ald. Cullerton even going as far as trying to help the owner get a city grant to fix the air conditioning system, and he rejected it still? WTFH, really? That’s really sad to hear, thanks for mentioning that unfortunate bit of news GFeret. I remember hearing that sad bit of news, about the owner putting the theater up for sale as well. Makes me real disappointed, especially since I WAS one of the many who contributed to the Kickstarter project for this theater to get a digital projector. Really wish the owner had used Kickstarter, to fundraise enough money to completely fix the heating and A/C issues, even if it would’ve taken a total overhaul to successfully do.

Anyway, enjoy my album of Patio Theater pics, with a final update coming soon that I haven’t uploaded yet(projection booth pics): https://www.flickr.com/photos/prfsnlwannabe/sets/72157632194833202/

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 16, 2014 at 12:46 am

Wow, double the rents !! The stores are barely hanging on now. Just what Chicago needs more empty stores and even less population.

GFeret
GFeret on July 15, 2014 at 10:27 am

yes up for sale, the broker ESSEX says “there’s much to be gained by raising the rents up to current market levels”. warning to tenants—get out now while you can, forces are at work to double your rents. leave nothing behind but an empty shell

R8teco
R8teco on July 14, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on May 6, 2014 at 9:09 am

In this part of the city, the trend has been to take major intersection corner properties and convert them to either Walgreens or CVS stores. Maybe the Patio owner has been offered a deal to good to refuse?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 6, 2014 at 4:39 am

I was out this way to shoot some pool about a month ago at the Chicago Billiard Cafe. I haven’t stopped in this neighborhood in years. First I had to pay $2.00 to park my car on the street at 8 P.M. on a Tuesday. Then on my way home some gizmo on a lamp post flashed at me as I went by Portage Park. It was about 10:30 P.M. and I was going about 34-36 MPH with the flow of traffic on Irving Park. Now I’m expecting a violation in the mail and judging by the $100 parking ticket I got last month it is bound to be obscene.

I thought it looked like Irving & Austin has taken a step down in the last ten years. Having to run a gauntlet of fees to take my business out there doesn’t make me enthusiastic about going back.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 17, 2014 at 1:13 am

GFeret, I hope you are wrong. But that would explain why the grant never came to be. It is hard to believe the city would not try and keep this corner alive & open for business and not add to the vacant stores. One only has to travel down the street and see what a closed Portage theatre can do to the vacancy rate!

GFeret
GFeret on April 15, 2014 at 2:46 pm

the recent article about Patio closing is worded more like the theatre’s closing for good, not just for summer. The air conditioning needing repair (more accurately complete replacement I think) while certainly a major issue seems to me to be covering for other matters. The theatre owner makes claims he really wants for the Patio theatre to return to operation, but his actions show nothing of the kind, only avoidance and delays. Chicago Ald. Cullerton got a city grant to pay for the needed new AC system, but the owner ignored it. The appearance is the grant came w/ provisions he didn’t like. My strong suspicion is the owner has distinct other plans for his building, and unless Patio theatre management is placed into the hands of somebody else with movie bacground we have seen the end (or will be seeing the end during these final 2 April weekends) of films @ the Patio

hdtv267
hdtv267 on April 11, 2014 at 11:31 am

The Patio will be closing for the summer, unless it can get some sort of help in getting the air conditioning fixed

DaveM
DaveM on August 21, 2013 at 9:57 pm

The Patio is changing from a sub-run to a revival policy, featuring films from the 60s, 70s and 80s, starting this September. The Patio will also continue to host the Northwest Chicago Film Society.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 12, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I thought the Portage was THE place to see a classic film. No more. The Patio is THE place to see a classic film and the people that run the programs are the best. Always great pre-show attractions and very interesting stories behind the scenes. These three people know what they are doing…BRAVO !!

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 30, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Broan, Good News.. There was a very good audience for Monday night and the theater looked beautiful.

Broan
Broan on May 30, 2013 at 12:42 pm

It’ll be open for some special events however. Another Northwest Chicago Film Society screening is scheduled for Wednesday. I imagine this will continue as weather permits.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I know the city doesn’t set rates, but didn’t the city just announce meters will be in use to 10pm nitely? What a killer for businesses……

Broan
Broan on May 25, 2013 at 10:40 pm

The Portage was closed by the owner. He could have remained open with the liquor license in limbo but chose not to. The city does not set the meter fees, Daley sold the meters to a private company.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 25, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Another blow to Irving Park theaters, the Portage Theater was closed indefinetly by the City of Chicago today over liquor license problems with the new owners. This is bad news for the Portage. Theater was doing very well with the classic film series every week. So many factors are in play to keep these beautiful theaters open and running. It is a real uphill battle. The city really doesn’t give a damn or they would find ways to keep the area from becoming so blight. They are too busy trying to increase the parking meter fees so nobody wants to pay the insane high fees to attend a local movie house. No wonder so many empty storefronts surrounding these movie theaters. What a pity!!

RickB
RickB on May 25, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Theater will be closed for the summer due to a broken air conditioning system. DNAInfo story here.

TivFan
TivFan on February 11, 2013 at 5:30 am

Take a look at “The Cost of History” featuring the Patio Theatre. Go to the CT home page and click on “Latest movie theater videos”.

LouRugani
LouRugani on February 10, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Here’s a memorial tribute to Mr. Alex Kouvalis, who I was fortunate to meet shortly after he took over the PATIO. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pi&GRid=104918232 Comments and tributes are welcome.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on January 27, 2013 at 10:42 am

The digital projector has been in since November. Check the website.