Riviera Theater

225 King Street,
Charleston, SC 29403

Patsy
Patsy on January 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

The “sister” theater to this one is the Rogers Theatre in Shelby NC. Owner, Gary Kulas is restoring it. www.rogerstheatershelby.com

Lost Memory on September 4, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Here is a recent night photo.

1234
1234 on July 3, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Charles Benton the architect of the Riviera, may have also designed the Strand theater in MArietta GA which opened in 1935, in looking at photographs of both theaters there a numerous details that are basically the same in both theaters, The Strand looks to be an earlier and less costly version of the Riviera.
The Strand has been reopened but it was not a restoration back to the original.

Lost Memory on April 7, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Another 2009 photo is here.

Lost Memory on March 11, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Some photos and additional information can be found here.

mda38
mda38 on February 15, 2009 at 4:19 pm

If you look at the “august 2008” pic, you’ll see a plaque on the left-hand side of the building. It’s about a theater that was on the site earlier, a vaudeville house I believe was called the Academy of Music.

Also, you’ll see a side entrance. That’s where the blacks would enter during the Jim Crow era. I happened to walk by that theater in the early 80s when someone had left the door unlocked. I walked around the empty theater. The Jim Crow box office was still there, along with advertising from the 1950s. The smoking gallery had an intricate pattern rug that appeared to be from the 1930s. I locked up when I left.

The smoking gallery had been closed for years. I used to go there quite often as a child. It was part of a chain called Pastime Amusement Company, which also owned the larger Gloria and the smaller and older Garden. They also had a tiny theater called the Arcade. At one point a church operated out of there, I believe. It was also a rep house in the mid-80s.

Lost Memory on August 2, 2008 at 10:52 pm

This is an August 2008 photo.

Lost Memory on June 27, 2008 at 2:08 pm

A June 2008 photo can be seen here.

Lost Memory on March 14, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Here is another recent photo of the Riviera Theater.

Lost Memory on February 7, 2008 at 3:46 pm

This is a 2008 night view.

Lost Memory on December 4, 2007 at 9:07 pm

A more recent photo can be seen here.

meggyb
meggyb on November 25, 2007 at 11:48 am

I am looking for the documentation of the Riviera Theatre being on the National Register. I do not think that it is individually listed, perhaps it is in the Charleston Historic District. Does anyone have any more information of this?

Also, is anyone familiar with a previous member of the “Friends of the Riviera”?

Lost Memory on October 28, 2007 at 10:22 pm

This is an October 2007 view of the Riviera Theater.

Lost Memory on October 5, 2007 at 10:57 am

Here is another recent photo of the Riviera Theater building.

Patsy
Patsy on June 24, 2007 at 3:36 pm

What an art deco facade!

Lost Memory on June 24, 2007 at 12:25 pm

This is another recent photo of the Riviera Theater.

Lost Memory on March 2, 2007 at 9:11 am

You didn’t miss much. :) Okay, try this link.

Patsy
Patsy on March 2, 2007 at 9:04 am

Lost Memory: Couldn’t view the photo when clicking on the word HERE.

Lost Memory on March 2, 2007 at 8:57 am

Here is another photo of the Riviera Theater.

Lost Memory on July 25, 2006 at 8:01 am

This is a photo that Ken MC posted back in February. Now that you know that the “head” is there, irs kind of obvious in that photo isn’t it. I don’t know where the closeop photo was taken from. Maybe it was a rooftop across the street. Or the photographer was on the roof of the Riviera Theater.

Patsy
Patsy on July 25, 2006 at 7:42 am

How did a closeup of that face get to be photographed…from what level or location?

dispar
dispar on July 25, 2006 at 7:40 am

I was just in Charleston for SPOLETO (last week of May) and stopped by (while riding my bike) to look at/admire the theater for 30 minutes or so. While I have viewed the facade of this theater for decades (since the late 50s when I began regularly patronizing the theater) I have never seen a closeup of the “face”. Amazing how he can look at something for hours, days, decades and not see everything (kind of like a movie). Thanks for sharing!

Patsy
Patsy on July 25, 2006 at 7:36 am

Sorry about the duplicate post as I got impatient, again.