Egyptian Theatre

6712 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Coate
Coate on June 20, 2017 at 4:38 pm

moax429 and vindanpar: The original “Star Wars” first run was at the Chinese. The only time I’m aware of the original “Star Wars” playing the large, main screen of the Egyptian was during a one-time-only charity triple feature on March 28th, 1985. A brief re-release run in one of the Egyptian’s smaller auditoriums took place in August 1978 and September 1982.

The 1980 first run of “Empire” and 1983 first run of “Jedi” were at the Egyptian.

As many of you are no doubt aware, I’ve written extensively about the “Star Wars” release history. Here’s the link to my latest retrospective on the subject which includes mention of the Chinese run (two of them, actually) and a whole lot more.

RogerA
RogerA on June 16, 2017 at 1:18 am

Just saw The Dark Crystal (1982) in 70mm An original print discovered in Europe

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 9, 2017 at 5:35 pm

1955 photo added via Scott Cisco. “Oklahoma” shares the Egyptian marquee.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 6, 2017 at 3:32 pm

I believe it opened at the Chinese. There are pictures somewhere of it on the marquee with enormous crowds outside.

moax429
moax429 on May 22, 2017 at 2:18 pm

So if the Egyptian showcased 20th Century Fox movies during the 70’s, I take it the original “Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope)” played here during its original run in 1977? Or possibly the first rerelease in 1978?

Just curious.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 22, 2017 at 1:42 pm

The first Alien movie played at this theater nearly 38 years ago.

Flix70
Flix70 on April 27, 2017 at 10:54 am

“Citizen Kane” returns to the Egyptian Sunday, May 7 @ 7:30 PM. Part of a Welles double bill with “F For Fake.”

Flix70
Flix70 on February 6, 2017 at 11:12 am

Peter Weller & screenwriter Ed Neumeier on hand for a 30th-anniversary screening of “Robocop” Thursday, Feb. 9 @ the Egyptian. Tickets still available. http://amcinematheque.tumblr.com/post/156893272915/robocop-1987

Flix70
Flix70 on December 1, 2016 at 10:04 am

Dates for December “2001” screenings @ the Egyptian are as follows: 12/9-12/11, 12/16-12/18 & 12/26-12/27. One screening per day. All shows start @ 7:30 PM. Enjoy!

Flix70
Flix70 on November 16, 2016 at 11:26 am

Anybody catch “Citizen Kane” at the Egyptian this past Sunday as part of AFI Fest? This is another film Warner Brothers should partner with the American Cinematheque to exhibit twice a year.

silver
silver on October 7, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Flix70, Fantastic news re 70mm 2001.
Of course Sunday’s 2001 screening sold out weeks ago with actors Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood scheduled to be there in person talking about the film afterwards.

I’ll certainly catch one of the December 70mm screenings.
The Aero in Santa Monica is an OK theater, but The Egyptian is a wonderful venue.

Flix70
Flix70 on October 7, 2016 at 12:04 pm

According to today’s L.A. Times, The American Cinematheque has an exclusive five-year exhibition deal with Warner Brothers for a newly struck 70mm print of Staney’s Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The deal calls for two extended runs per year, rotating between the Egyptian and the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica.

The first screening will be this Sunday at the Egyptian as part of Beyond Fest. The next one will be an eight- day run in December, also at the Egyptian.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley on June 8, 2016 at 5:40 pm

I saw the 70mm version of GONE WITH THE WIND. It was badly cropped at the top and bottom and a vertical pan-and-scan was used. It was also an abomination.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 8, 2016 at 3:26 pm

I remember that wide-screen version of Gone With the Wind, though I didn’t see it at the Egyptian. It turned up later at the El Rey Theatre in Alhambra, where I believe they used to to inaugurate their CinemaScope installation. It was the first time I saw that movie and the first time I saw CinemaScope, and as the original framing had been butchered to fit the wide screen it was not a good introduction to either. I would hope that every print of that abomination has been destroyed.

Logan5
Logan5 on June 8, 2016 at 1:28 pm

According to “The Complete Gone With the Wind Trivia Book: The Movie and More” by Pauline Bartel, there was a “spectacular premiere” (of the wide-screen re-release) of “Gone With The Wind” at the Egyptian on (Tuesday) August 10, 1954. Actor James Dean and his girlfriend Pier Angeli attended.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on March 30, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Link with a fade of 1938 and now. Copy and paste to view.

Flix70
Flix70 on March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am

There are special screenings at the Egyptian, Cinerama Dome and a handful of other classic venues in the area. You’d think someone would make a comment or two, on any page. Instead we get posts on juice bars. I’m envious of you guys who live in L.A. and have the opportunity to catch these classic films at the only movie palaces still standing. If you really love film and the venues that show them, seek out these special screenings and share your experiences.

Coate
Coate on March 25, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Yeah, Flix70, the Egyptian has screenings nearly every night so you’d think there would be more comments on this page. Anyway, I’m pleased you enjoyed the “1941” article. No Spielberg at the event (unless he was in disguise). The Q&A included actors Tim Matheson, Nancy Allen, Dianne Kay, Bobby Di Cicco, Susan Backlinie, and Jordan Cohen, plus co-screenwriter Bob Gale, producer Buzz Feitshans, miniature supervisor Greg Jein, second assistant director Chris Soldo, and stuntperson Leslie Hoffman. Mike Matessino hosted.

Flix70
Flix70 on March 25, 2015 at 10:44 am

Thanks for the info on the “1941” screening, Coate. Getting anybody to comment on special screenings these days is like pulling teeth. Spielberg didn’t make a surprise appearance Sunday? I did read your Digital Bits article and enjoyed it. Keep ‘em coming.

markinthedark
markinthedark on March 24, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Off topic – the Arena Cinema: looking at pictures on Yelp it seems to have 1 auditorium. Were the 2 cinemas opened up into 1?

Coate
Coate on March 24, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Flix70 wrote: “So no one was at the ‘1941’ screening this past Sunday?”

I attended. It was great to see “1941” with an audience that seemed to appreciate it. It was pretty trippy to experience the movie in a theater on Hollywood Blvd. since so much of it takes place there. :–) And the Q&A was enjoyable.

And on a related note for those who might have an interest, here’s a link to an article I recently wrote in preparation for the “1941” screening.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on March 24, 2015 at 7:01 pm

After sitting dormant for the past few years, they’ve finally begun putting the courtyard storefronts back in to use. The main entrance/Hollywood Blvd corner unit is slated to reopen as a juice bar in April and the remaining units received some remodeling recently (not sure if there are tenants lined up for those yet).

Flix70
Flix70 on March 24, 2015 at 4:22 pm

So no one was at the “1941” screening this past Sunday?

drb
drb on January 27, 2015 at 5:40 pm

terrywade: Totally agree!

I hadn’t been to the Egyptian since the early nineties, before the quake and remodeling. I had read others' descriptions of what had been done to the poor theatre, and wasn’t in a hurry to return. But there was something showing a couple months ago that I wanted to see, and both the Chinese and El Capitan were running movies on my “need to see” list, so I thought I’d do all three movie palaces in one day. So, straight from El Cap to the Chinese, with all of their splendors, I walk into the Egyptian, and… no matter how many interior photos I had seen, somehow I just wasn’t prepared for how underwhelming the poor theatre had become. At least with the curved screen and curtains, the sunburst and scarab where the old proscenium arch once was still had a visual connection to the screen. Now it’s just in the middle of nowhere, with the tiny, unadorned screen far away from it, looking like it’s right out a multiplex in a mall. They really put the “gyp” in Egyptian.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley on January 23, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I agree that they need a curtain, or at least flood the screen in colored light.