Egyptian Theatre

6712 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

silver on October 7, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Flix70, Fantastic news re 70mm 2001.
Of course Sunday’s 2001 screening sold out weeks ago with actors Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood scheduled to be there in person talking about the film afterwards.

I’ll certainly catch one of the December 70mm screenings.
The Aero in Santa Monica is an OK theater, but The Egyptian is a wonderful venue.

Flix70 on October 7, 2016 at 12:04 pm

According to today’s L.A. Times, The American Cinematheque has an exclusive five-year exhibition deal with Warner Brothers for a newly struck 70mm print of Staney’s Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The deal calls for two extended runs per year, rotating between the Egyptian and the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica.

The first screening will be this Sunday at the Egyptian as part of Beyond Fest. The next one will be an eight- day run in December, also at the Egyptian.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley on June 8, 2016 at 5:40 pm

I saw the 70mm version of GONE WITH THE WIND. It was badly cropped at the top and bottom and a vertical pan-and-scan was used. It was also an abomination.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 8, 2016 at 3:26 pm

I remember that wide-screen version of Gone With the Wind, though I didn’t see it at the Egyptian. It turned up later at the El Rey Theatre in Alhambra, where I believe they used to to inaugurate their CinemaScope installation. It was the first time I saw that movie and the first time I saw CinemaScope, and as the original framing had been butchered to fit the wide screen it was not a good introduction to either. I would hope that every print of that abomination has been destroyed.

Logan5 on June 8, 2016 at 1:28 pm

According to “The Complete Gone With the Wind Trivia Book: The Movie and More” by Pauline Bartel, there was a “spectacular premiere” (of the wide-screen re-release) of “Gone With The Wind” at the Egyptian on (Tuesday) August 10, 1954. Actor James Dean and his girlfriend Pier Angeli attended.

DavidZornig on March 30, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Link with a fade of 1938 and now. Copy and paste to view.!/ll/34.101551,-118.336851/id/70626/info/sv/zoom/14/

Flix70 on March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am

There are special screenings at the Egyptian, Cinerama Dome and a handful of other classic venues in the area. You’d think someone would make a comment or two, on any page. Instead we get posts on juice bars. I’m envious of you guys who live in L.A. and have the opportunity to catch these classic films at the only movie palaces still standing. If you really love film and the venues that show them, seek out these special screenings and share your experiences.

Coate on March 25, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Yeah, Flix70, the Egyptian has screenings nearly every night so you’d think there would be more comments on this page. Anyway, I’m pleased you enjoyed the “1941” article. No Spielberg at the event (unless he was in disguise). The Q&A included actors Tim Matheson, Nancy Allen, Dianne Kay, Bobby Di Cicco, Susan Backlinie, and Jordan Cohen, plus co-screenwriter Bob Gale, producer Buzz Feitshans, miniature supervisor Greg Jein, second assistant director Chris Soldo, and stuntperson Leslie Hoffman. Mike Matessino hosted.

Flix70 on March 25, 2015 at 10:44 am

Thanks for the info on the “1941” screening, Coate. Getting anybody to comment on special screenings these days is like pulling teeth. Spielberg didn’t make a surprise appearance Sunday? I did read your Digital Bits article and enjoyed it. Keep ‘em coming.

markinthedark on March 24, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Off topic – the Arena Cinema: looking at pictures on Yelp it seems to have 1 auditorium. Were the 2 cinemas opened up into 1?

Coate on March 24, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Flix70 wrote: “So no one was at the ‘1941’ screening this past Sunday?”

I attended. It was great to see “1941” with an audience that seemed to appreciate it. It was pretty trippy to experience the movie in a theater on Hollywood Blvd. since so much of it takes place there. :–) And the Q&A was enjoyable.

And on a related note for those who might have an interest, here’s a link to an article I recently wrote in preparation for the “1941” screening.

CTCrouch on March 24, 2015 at 7:01 pm

After sitting dormant for the past few years, they’ve finally begun putting the courtyard storefronts back in to use. The main entrance/Hollywood Blvd corner unit is slated to reopen as a juice bar in April and the remaining units received some remodeling recently (not sure if there are tenants lined up for those yet).

Flix70 on March 24, 2015 at 4:22 pm

So no one was at the “1941” screening this past Sunday?

drb on January 27, 2015 at 5:40 pm

terrywade: Totally agree!

I hadn’t been to the Egyptian since the early nineties, before the quake and remodeling. I had read others' descriptions of what had been done to the poor theatre, and wasn’t in a hurry to return. But there was something showing a couple months ago that I wanted to see, and both the Chinese and El Capitan were running movies on my “need to see” list, so I thought I’d do all three movie palaces in one day. So, straight from El Cap to the Chinese, with all of their splendors, I walk into the Egyptian, and… no matter how many interior photos I had seen, somehow I just wasn’t prepared for how underwhelming the poor theatre had become. At least with the curved screen and curtains, the sunburst and scarab where the old proscenium arch once was still had a visual connection to the screen. Now it’s just in the middle of nowhere, with the tiny, unadorned screen far away from it, looking like it’s right out a multiplex in a mall. They really put the “gyp” in Egyptian.

Robert L. Bradley
Robert L. Bradley on January 23, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I agree that they need a curtain, or at least flood the screen in colored light.

terrywade on January 22, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Bring back the curved D-150 screen. The little flat screen today with no curtains is a sad place to watch a film. No color lights inside during a film. The fountains ran dry because of leaks many years ago in the for court. No marquee out front to tell all the tourists what is going on inside. Time for a new management team to come in and bring back some showmanship and customers. Take a cue on what the El Capitan Theatre does up the street,they have lines outside while the Eqyptian only has a few good nights a month.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 15, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Bartstar: The new front of the Egyptian Theatre was installed in either late 1949 or early 1950. An article about the remodeling appeared in the March 4, 1950, issue of Boxoffice (first page and second page.) You might also be interested in the Egyptian Theatre street view timeline at Historic Hollywood Theatres.

Bartstar on November 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm

When did the street facade remodeling from the 50’s occur?
Maybe I missed something, but I can’t find the exact dates of its existence. Just that it was around from the 50’s to the 80’s.

It seems that this information should be included in the overview.

Coate on October 29, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Happy 50th! “My Fair Lady” opened at the Egyptian on this day in 1964 (with a benefit premiere the previous night) and went on to become the theater’s second-longest-running engagement.

plinfesty on March 17, 2014 at 11:07 pm

The screen was never 90 feet wide. It was somewhere between 70-80 feet measured along the curve, which is key. That particular screen (Dimension 150) featured a 120 degree curved screen and was installed in 1968. Without the curve, the screen would have to be a lot smaller. It was during this 1968 remodeling that the proscenium went, not for the Todd-AO remodel. For the original CinemaScope installation in the early 50’s, the two inner pillars were removed. For Todd-AO, the screen was actually brought forward, hiding the outer pillars. This was when the draped look went up. then in 1968, the last of the pillars and proscenium were removed and the new D-150 curved screen installed by pushing it back to where the original stage was. Ironically, much of the original side work was revealed of the auditorium at this time.

Cliffs on January 26, 2014 at 12:57 am

I’m still absolutely baffled as to how an auditorium that housed a 90 foot wide screen now contains a 53 foot wide screen. Where did that extra 40 feet fit? Did they somehow shrink the auditorium?

Vito on August 24, 2013 at 3:30 am

Anyone know how the World 3-D Movie Expo in September will be projected? 35mm dual projector polaroid or Digital?

MichaelDequina on May 13, 2013 at 6:37 am

The Egyptian annex once again operates as a cinema as of late last year under the name Arena Cinema, booking independent fare:

moviebuff82 on May 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Return of the Jedi was shown again this past weekend for star wars weekend to celebrate it’s 30th anniversary on May 25th, weeks after the film had its world premiere at this theater. It was part of a festival.

fieldight on September 21, 2012 at 6:39 am

I first saw The Little Prince here when I was 5 back in 75 I believe! Damnation Alley! But most notably I would alternate almost everyday for 3 weeks between The Spy Who Loved Me at The Egyptian and simultaneously Star Wars at the Chinese! Then I remember the big camping out lines for Empire Strikes back! The 3 little screens in the side building I remember Kentucky Fried Movie playing there!