Palace Theatre

19 Clinton Avenue,
Albany, NY 12207

Kris4077
Kris4077 on October 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

Palace is a definite fit for this theater, it is truly like a Palace, it is palacial in size and decore. I think it sad to see not only theaters but all manor of old buildings in such states of disrepair and neglect, instead of preserving the buildings of this era of time we just let them rot away. It is such a shame we could have so many more beautiful examples such as proctors, but through selfishness and greed we let them deteriorate until we cannot save them.

Patsy
Patsy on August 25, 2012 at 7:34 am

Tinseltoes: Great photo you posted on 7/21/2010. In October a group called Straight No Chaser will take to the Palace stage!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 18, 2012 at 8:47 am

New link to 1961 modernization article cited above by Gerald A. DeLuca: Boxoffice

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

A page of theatre photos starts off this 1947 trade article covering Albany’s “Film Row”: boxofficemagazine

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 28, 2010 at 8:55 am

An article on Fabian’s Palace, with photos, appeared in Boxoffice magazine, August 7, 1961:

ordway1440
ordway1440 on May 15, 2010 at 11:54 am

A few years ago, someone SOMEWHERE on the web posted pictures of the Palace Projection booth that were taken in the 80’s showing the OLD booth before restoration with the old 1950’s era RCA equipment. Anyone have any idea where these pictures appeared? Dozens of Google searches have given me nothing.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on December 9, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Cool history and photos.

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on July 24, 2009 at 10:20 am

This 1951 photo comes courtesy of LIFE …

gd14lawn
gd14lawn on June 29, 2009 at 9:50 pm

As a lifelong Albany resident I was thrilled with the renovation of the Palace. I saw a couple of movies there as a kid (including Bambi)and have enjoyed many, many concerts there through the years. Unfortunately, someone ran a car into the front doors at least a year ago and half of the front doors were boarded up. I don’t understand why they have not been repaired yet. Could they plan on leaving this beautiful theater with half the entrance covered in plywood? Also, there are some areas of peeling paint in the theater. Whoever did the restoration should have to come back and repair what has not held up. It would be a shame to let the theater fall back into disrepair.

nritota
nritota on January 1, 2009 at 11:03 am

The Palace hosted many a concert in the late 70’s and into the 80’s. Devo, the Tubes, Elvis Costello as well as comedy acts. The back stage area is also enlarged to accomodate larger road show engagements. Of course, Proctors in Schenectady added to it’s back stage to promote larger Broadways tours.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 20, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Patsy….As soon as I get a chance, I’ll explain it to you via email.

Patsy
Patsy on November 20, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Lost: You know, I have to admit that I was wondering the same thing as Warren G. Harris! Where are all of those “misterboo” contributions as I haven’t seen a single one either! :)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 20, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Keep looking. You might get lucky.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 20, 2008 at 1:50 pm

You didn’t answer the question. Where are all those contributions by “misterboo” that you keep defending? I haven’t seen a single one.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 20, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Lo Mem is better than Lo Life!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 20, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Who is this new arrival called “misterboo,” and where is he posting? I can’t find anything with that signature in the above. Is Lo Mem hallucinating yet again?

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 20, 2008 at 7:37 am

Exactly my point. Thanks for understanding that. Some people on this site just don’t get it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Patsy
Patsy on November 20, 2008 at 5:49 am

It is only right to give credit where credit is due! Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 20, 2008 at 3:57 am

Patsy….“misterboo” found the link to those photos and didn’t get a chance to post them. Just making sure that he gets the credit for them.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 19, 2008 at 9:18 pm

I think LaMotta won that fight.

Patsy
Patsy on November 19, 2008 at 8:17 pm

You are always welcome, my theatre friend! :–)

Patsy
Patsy on November 19, 2008 at 8:00 pm

“misterboo”: Thanks!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 19, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Thank “misterboo” for the photo. It was his link to begin with.