Capitan Theater

1001 Shaw Avenue,
Pasadena, TX 77506

snelson
snelson on September 1, 2014 at 6:09 pm

My father was projectionist here during the 50s & 60s. I used to ride my bike there every Saturday and spend the matinee there with him in the booth, where he taught me to splice film and use the equipment. I had free passes to give away which made me pretty popular. I remember the manager, other projectionists, the lady selling tickets, the huge speakers behind the screen…pretty cool to a 12 year old boy! Sam

Theaterbug
Theaterbug on October 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Great building. This link includes historic photos of the theater: http://www.houstondeco.org/1940s/capitan.html

jefferyintexas
jefferyintexas on February 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Don, My late father was from Post 1919-1939. I was able to visit Post some years after my dad died. Got a couple of theater pictures there. I have not yet checked to see if they are posted…but I would imagine you have beat me to it! Thanks for the reply. Jeff

DonLewis
DonLewis on February 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

West Texas is home jefferyintexas.

Don…

jefferyintexas
jefferyintexas on February 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Don,
Are you from the Houston area?
Thanks,
Jeff in Texas

DonLewis
DonLewis on November 24, 2011 at 9:53 am

From the early 1970s a newspaper ad for the Capitan Theater in Pasadena.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 24, 2011 at 12:30 am

Here’s an updated link to the 1950 Boxoffice article about the Capitan Theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 24, 2010 at 4:36 am

Here is a page in Boxoffice, February 4, 1950, with a brief article about the Capitan Theatre. There are three photos of the theater.

DonLewis
DonLewis on July 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm

A photo set of the Capitan taken before and after its restoration.

NeonSky
NeonSky on October 28, 2008 at 8:05 am

Does anyone have an update on the preservation/renovation status
of The Capitan as of Oct. ‘08?

William
William on September 8, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Some of the interior auditorium elements like stage drapes and side walls are like the former Picwood Theatre in West Los Angeles. Both theatres were built for the Phil Isley Theatre chain. The FDYB lists this theatre as seating 608 people.

DonLewis
DonLewis on September 8, 2008 at 2:40 pm

A view of the Capitan Theater’s twin, the Granada in Houston.

dbush
dbush on March 20, 2008 at 10:59 am

Current interior and exterior photos of the Capitan are online at www.houstondeco.org

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 11, 2007 at 9:48 pm

This article was in the Deer Park Progress on 5/13/77:

DonLewis
DonLewis on March 20, 2007 at 2:52 pm

It does not look good for the magnificent CAPITAN. We were there and took pictures 3/19/07. It still looks great on the outside, but is trashed on the inside and has gradually become isolated in an industrial area. The only thing that will save this one is lots of $$$$. Also the city of Houston is no longer turning the neon on. (Please take a look at the link KenRoe posted above for a night-time view.)

Here are a few of the images I took.
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/428682518
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/428682501
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/428682461
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/428682440
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/428682425
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/428682418

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 22, 2006 at 12:49 am

Another night time photo of the Capitan Theater:

bratcher
bratcher on October 27, 2005 at 9:05 am

I looked inside this theater in late summer of 2004. They were renovating it. I remember seeing a screen, maybe some seats downstairs & the balcony seats were still there. Projection booth was gutted with one projector base still standing.

djjoe33
djjoe33 on March 17, 2005 at 8:39 am

This IS the theater on 225. Huzzah.

coogs5
coogs5 on March 17, 2005 at 1:00 am

Is this the theater on highway 225? If not, which one is on 225? Thanks

jpallas
jpallas on October 14, 2004 at 12:26 pm

i am the director of a not-for-profit in pasadena with some great ideas for the refurbishment, use, and marketing of the capitan to assist the community and at-risk youth. if anyone has any information about who owns the theatre, what future plans entail, etc.., i would greatly appreciate this information.

djjoe33
djjoe33 on July 23, 2004 at 9:17 pm

I just visited the theater’s exterior today and it doesn’t really look like any renovations have been undertaken. On the outside where the posters should be, pictures of the interior have be posted of the Captain in its prime. It looked beautiful. I’m often stricken with delusions of one day buy this theater and renovating it myself, and showing my favorite films every week or so. Some of these delusions also involve me dressing up as a captain and standing on the sidewalk in front of the theater with a sandwich board on that urges people to come and see a good movie at a good theater, or something to that effect. If anyone has any information, please, inform me.

William
William on December 18, 2003 at 2:41 pm

The Capitan Theatre opened in December of 1950 and the architect was Raymond F. Smith.