Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on September 14, 2018 at 10:48 am

A good case could be made for Loew’s State as “flagship” of the circuit. Marcus Loew certainly intended that when the State first opened in 1921, adjacent to the new Loew’s HQ building at 1540 Broadway. The company inherited control of the five-year-old Capitol in 1924 as part of the merger that created MGM Pictures, but never marketed it to the general public as Loew’s Capitol until a modernization in 1959. The Capitol was the largest cinema in the world until the Roxy’s opening in 1927.

BobbyS
BobbyS on September 14, 2018 at 12:49 am

I thought the State was. Which one had the larger stage?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on September 13, 2018 at 7:19 am

The Capitol was the number one flagship theatre of the entire chain.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 12, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Was the Capitol one of Loews' flagship theatres?

vindanpar
vindanpar on September 12, 2018 at 5:19 pm

If there ever was a Music Hall film Magnificent Ambersons was it. But like Kane Radio City passed because of Rockefeller ties to Hearst?

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 24, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Thank you for posting it. I’ll check it out. Some of those Mad magazine parodies of the films themselves were pretty funny. Especially Sound of Music and the combined parody of 3 films: On a Clear Day You Can See a Funny Girl Singing Hello Dolly Forever. Still the best most scathing send up of Streisand and I’m a fan of hers and those 3 films.

Any many of those big roadshow lps ended up in the bargain bins which is how I was able to afford them as a kid. It was the bombs not the hits. You wouldn’t find Funny Girl, Oliver or Sound of Music. The cutout of Finian’s Rainbow came wrapped with the souvenir program.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 23, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Hello-

I enjoy chatting with fellow movie buffs via this site since IMDB did away with their message boards. to which a thought- I wish people would stop equating being able to reserve seats online nowadays with traditional roadshow engagements popular from 1952-1972.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 23, 2018 at 5:19 pm

I would have enjoyed watching movies at the Belch Art or the Art Burp.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 23, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Thanks, Al. Very funny. It reminded me of the time I saw the soundtrack album of Hello, Dolly!, not too long after its big 70mm premiere at the Rivoli on Broadway, in the cutout bin at a record store, selling for $1.99.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 23, 2018 at 9:05 am

I have posted the Mad Magazine parody on the Cinema Treasures Facebook page.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 22, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Al, please post that Mad article, it would fit perfectly here.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 22, 2018 at 3:38 pm

So this is where the rebirth of reserved seating in mainstream theaters is coming from….it’s here to stay and with the popularity of movie subscrption services such as MoviePass (rip) , Sinemia, and AMC’s A-List, more people will reserve their tickets for big movies; first come, first served unless the show is cancelled due to an outage, movie being pulled from theater, etc.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm

vindapar, is that the one that starts with advance sales for a major four hour film event and ends as a TV Guide listing for the one hour version? If, so I have a copy somewhere.

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 22, 2018 at 1:10 pm

Anybody remember the MAD magazine parody of reserved seat newspaper film advertising? A picture of IMPORTANCE and that kind of thing? Yes it was funny but I think those old advance ads for big movies was very cool.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on August 22, 2018 at 9:19 am

Yes, but Capitol offered “GWTW” with continuous performances, while Astor was reserved-seat roadshow. They were re-linked years later with “Quo Vadis” with the same policies.

Tony P.
Tony P. on August 21, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Capitol also shared with the Astor theater, the first showing of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 20, 2018 at 9:44 pm

The logo came on screen at the very beginning. I guess Quentin thought: it was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, and if it was made in 1965, it would be shown on Cinerama screens. Just like The Greatest Story Ever Told and Battle of the Bulge.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 20, 2018 at 7:15 pm

That was just a winking nod to the roadshow era – as was the accompanying ‘60’s style Weinstein Company logo. Those logos only appeared in the 70mm prints. The “general release” versions did not have them.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 20, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Hello-

to Bill H.–

why was the Cinerama logo at the end of The Hateful Eight if it wasn’t presented “in Cinerama”?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 19, 2018 at 7:42 pm

I loved seeing the Cinerama logo. I even loved seeing it on Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight, where it was totally unwarranted.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 19, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Hello-

when 2001 had its 50th Anniversary 70MM reissue earlier this year at the Village East the Cinerama logo came up at the end.

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 18, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Star Wars was'77 so MC you are correct.

vindanpar
vindanpar on August 18, 2018 at 4:23 pm

MC I believe that advert was ‘76 not '77(correct me if I’m wrong). That was the ad used for the Rivoli where I saw the film in Oct of that year. It was Columbus Day.

It was an overwhelming experience and at the end the print said Cinerama with the logo. I remember this distinctly because I had never seen a Cinerama film. I believe two years later when the Rivoli had it again they might have used a smaller screen because it was not nearly as impressive and at the end it said 70mm. In fact I believe it said Super Panavision 70.

Somebody on this site said that Sweet Charity used a smaller screen because Universal did not want to pay for the D150 screen. Of course the specifics and accuracy of all this minutiae is lost with time.

MSC77
MSC77 on August 18, 2018 at 3:00 pm

bigjoe59:
Audiences in as many as eight cities would’ve seen the original cut (during the initial days of their lengthy engagements). Benson’s new “Space Odyssey” book addresses this as do I in my 1968: A Roadshow Odyssey article.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 17, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Hello-

thanks to Bill H. for his info. I had always thought that the only engagement that used the original cut was the world premiere engagement in D.C. if the original cut did in fact play the Capitol for a few days I might seen it.