Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 17, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Hello-

to BobbyS I thank you for your reply. I recently watched an HD transfer of Circus World on YouTube and found that while it may not have been Oscar material it was an colorful entertaining movie. so since the film’s roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” at this theater lasted 19 weeks I can’t believe said engagement at the Uptown in D.C.lasted only 3 weeks.

also presenting films “in Cinerama” lasted another five years.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 17, 2018 at 11:14 am

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 17, 2018 at 11:02 am

According to Fandango, “2001” in 70mm is scheduled for a 7-day run at the City Cinemas Village East/Jaffe Art Theatre starting May 18.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 16, 2018 at 7:55 pm

I kind of remember it wasn’t a great film….Not in the same way as “Windjammer” was. Maybe the novelty of the large format was wearing out!

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 16, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Hello-

I see from the wonderful article that Circus World’s roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” lasted 19 weeks. now in D.C. it played the Uptown and on that’s theater’s page someone stated that the film’s roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” lasted a grand total of 3 weeks. I can’t believe the film’s roadshow ruin at the Uptown lasted only 3 weeks considering it played the Capitol for 19 weeks.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 15, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Wonderful pictures! Thanks Stevenj

stevenj
stevenj on April 14, 2018 at 8:01 am

Accidentally put the wrong link in yesterday – here is the correct one for this theatre w/article MarkDHite mentions: Capitol

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 14, 2018 at 6:12 am

I’ve seen five other Cinerama screens (Montclair NJ, Washington DC, Dayton OH, Los Angeles, Seattle) but the one at the Capitol is the only one that felt close to being 93 feet wide. I know memories are often faulty, especially 50-year-old ones, but that screen was truly an unforgettable sight.

vindanpar
vindanpar on April 14, 2018 at 5:02 am

You know I love putting down the Ziegfeld because it was a joke compared to other NY houses. Even the Todd AO Oklahoma at Cinema one was a much better experience than it ever would have been at the Ziegfeld. I’d rather even see many other 70MM spectacles at other east side houses which I did with El Cid which I believe was at the Gotham.

Ziegfeld screen size 50 ft.
Warner Cinerama 81 ft.

They both had very close seating capacities. Except the Ziegfeld was a long shoe box. The ‘loge’ was a block away from the screen.

I mean we are talking the Minetta Lane compared to the Winter Garden.

2001 Would be terrible at the Walter Reade. It’s widescreen uses up a smaller portion of its screen size. Yeah it’s one of those. Instead of the screen expanding it gets smaller.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 14, 2018 at 4:42 am

I knew I recalled reading somewhere it was more than 90 feet but couldn’t quickly find that online yesterday! Thanks. Sometime in the next week, I will get that into the Introduction.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 13, 2018 at 9:14 pm

The article on that site from the time of the Capitol’s 1962 Cinerama conversion says that the screen was 33x93 feet.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 13, 2018 at 3:19 pm

It’s sad to think how the really big screen at the Capitol was torn down 50 years ago, and nothing was ever really built since to replace it. I’m grateful I got to experience “2001” on that screen.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 13, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Hello-

I thank patryan6019 for their reply. I don’t see the point behind issuing a blu-ray disc of the film unless its in the correct aspect ratio.

also when 2001 gets its 50th Anniversary Reissue in
May it had better be shown in a theater with a really
big screen.

patryan6019
patryan6019 on April 13, 2018 at 1:21 am

bigjoe59…If the main title sequence is missing the Cinerama credit (which I expect it is) the transfer was made from the 35 mm printdown.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Hello-

the last week of February Olive Films released a blu-ray disc of The Hallelujah Trail which opened here. they botched it big time. my main critique is simple. since the film was shot in Ultra-Panavison 70 the blu-ray disc should have an aspect ratio of 2.75.1 but they give it 2.35.1. i had other problems with the disc and sent it back to the company headquarters. I haven’t received a reply yet by mail or e-mail.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 5, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Hello-

to Bill H.–

thanks for your reply. I don’t get it. I can get a senior discount for a 3D-IMAX film at the Lincoln Square but not a 70MM screening at the Village East? what’s the logic?

markp
markp on April 4, 2018 at 5:49 am

Mike (saps), it did. And after 372 showings over 11 weeks, the print was still dirt and scratch free.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 3, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Phantom Thread was one trippy movie, it must’ve looked sensational in 70mm

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 3, 2018 at 6:36 pm

I wish WB would take one of its 70mm projectors and install it in the Uptown in DC for a 2001 exhibition there. It’s not only still a fab movie theater with a huge screen, but it’s also historic as the site of 2001’s world premiere.

markp
markp on April 3, 2018 at 5:36 pm

HowardBHass also the Regal E Walk still has the 70MM equipment from the recent releases. I just checked on it a few weeks ago when I finished the Phantom Thread run at Lincoln Square. The equipment at both E Walk and Lincoln Square is owned by Warner Brothers.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Joe, I was very surprised at the $20 cost of a 70mm show. I do qualify for senior discount but I had already seen on their website that they don’t apply to 70mm, so I just handed over my $20. But I’ll gladly pay it to see 2001.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Hello-

to Howard B. thanks for the info. I hope the 50th Anniversary print will be shown in a theater with a really big screen.

to Bill H.– the Village East Cinemas is in fact a renovated Yiddish Art Theater originally built in 1912. the 70MM print of Ready Player One in playing in what was the Yiddish theater’s main stage. all the other auditoriums at Village East are renovated storage space.

also to Bill H.– don’t you think $20 with no senior or children’s discount is a rip off? that’s the first time I can remember a theater having no senior or children’s discount.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Howard mentioned the Village East. I saw Ready Player One there last Friday, and they showed a 70mm trailer for 2001. Just before it was over, it said that 2001 would be playing “at this theater”.

It was no Capitol, but it was a very nice theater with a big screen. It had the look of an old movie palace, or half of one anyway. It looks like the balcony of what was once a much bigger theater.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 3, 2018 at 2:01 pm

NYC venues for reissued 2001 have not been announced yet. City Cinemas 1,2,3 and City Cinemas Village East are strong possibilities, as is AMC Lincoln Square. The Walter Reade also has 70mm capacity, and outside Manhattan so does the Museum of Moving Image. The Paris might still have capacity but hasn’t shown 70mm recently.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Hello-

at what Manhattan theater or theaters will the 50th Anniversary re-issue(supervised by Christopher Nolan) be playing?