Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,143 comments

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on June 26, 2017 at 6:42 am

Al, guess I have a sharper memory!

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 25, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Famous Theatres that still exist and Famous Theatres that once were are two different topics, and maybe Cinema Treasures should address that.

Cool, I am happy that you still see a Roxy at TGI Fridays on 50th Street and 7th avenue. I don’t.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on June 25, 2017 at 12:58 pm

With the removal of the Roxy, the “Famous Theaters” photo section now spotlights four by Rapp & Rapp and NOTHING by major architects like Thomas W. Lamb, John Eberson, W.W. Ahlschlager, C. Howard Crane, S. Charles Lee, and B. Marcus Priteca. What a distortion of history!

stevenj
stevenj on June 25, 2017 at 10:42 am

Just my opinion but a legendary theater known as “The Cathedral of the Motion Picture”, the largest in the US and one with 29 pages of photos deserves to be up front in Photos of Famous Theaters.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 25, 2017 at 9:33 am

I feel lucky to have seen all their original productions back then. A level of genius that was awe inspiring. When Broadway was first for New Yorkers after which the tourists followed.

The Disneyfication of Times Square, the wiping away of all the great remainng movie theaters and the evening length theme park musicals are now for me heartbreaking.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 25, 2017 at 9:26 am

Thanks. I’ll start looking around. I’m so jealous that you saw the original Follies! That’s awesome.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 25, 2017 at 9:22 am

“Famous theaters” is just a brief selection of 10 theaters that are still here today and well known (except the recently closed and soon to be rebuilt Ziegfeld.) It’s an introduction and a place to start browsing for newcomers to the site. Actually its not even all that easy to find. You have to click on “more” for Popular photos and the the topic appears on the next page as “Photos of Famous Movie Theaters”.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 25, 2017 at 9:15 am

There are so many places to read about his going there and the inspiration of that photo for both him and Harold Prince. I honestly couldn’t tell you as I’ve already read so many different books and articles. I was going to all the original productions of their musicals being very young at the time and I saw Follies twice which was everything they say it was. I went to the first Wed mat after the opening(it was Easter week ‘71. Bought my ticket that Monday going to see A New Leaf at the Music Hall) and it seems people left the theater in a kind of shock it was so momentous. I’ve never had any desire to see a revival.

You might to read in a number of places about the creation of the musical and a good place to start would be the Time magazine cover story in a library. I believe it also contains the Swanson photo.

Sorry the movie is Hangover Square and the Herrmann score inspired Sondheim to write the composer and Herrmann wrote back

JAlex
JAlex on June 25, 2017 at 9:08 am

If the Roxy is no longer considered a famous theatre, then why not eliminate from this site all the theatres that have been demolished?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 25, 2017 at 8:59 am

I’d love to read more about Sondheim and the Roxy. Can you tell me where his comments can be found? Thanks!

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 25, 2017 at 8:50 am

I saw nothing but TGI Fridays unhappily if that is even still there.

But during the 70s at least across from the site on west 50th on the south side there was the Roxy bowling lanes still in operation with the name in the Roxy script. It was all that remained as a reminder.

By the way Stephen Sondheim is on the record as saying he often went to the Roxy when he was young. Seeing Hanover Square there was a seminal moment in his youth. (Anyway I believe it played there. Others would know better than I where it opened in NY.)I assume he channeled some of the heartbreak he felt when it came down when he wrote Follies inspired by the melodramatic photo of Gloria Swanson standing in the rubble.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 25, 2017 at 8:30 am

All of the theaters in that section, with the recent exception of the Ziegfeld, are still in existance and functioning.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on June 25, 2017 at 7:45 am

Al, I see the Roxy every time that I pass the intersection of Seventh Avenue and West 50th Street.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 25, 2017 at 6:51 am

Comfortably Cool, could it be that the building isn’t there to see anymore.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on June 24, 2017 at 8:15 am

Still waiting for management to explain why the Roxy Theatre was removed from the “Famous Theaters” section where it was one of ten so honored. Was there ever a cinema more famous and influential than the Roxy?

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 14, 2017 at 5:06 am

If you were to Google just “Cinema Treasures DeMille”, the Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre would be at the top of the list. Which states in the first sentence without even clicking on it that the name had been changed to the DeMille in the early `60’s. Second would be a photo that was titled DeMille Theatre, on the Embassy page. There is a certain amount of deductive reasoning that has to be applied, because CT only lists the AKA names once on the page of a given theatre. If they refined their search engine to include all the previous names of all the theatres that that applied to, it would possibly lead to double postings of the same theatres if they couldn’t be found. Rather than preventing it. Since most come up automatically in Google searches in most cases. The only thing I wish CT would do, is make it so e-mail notifications go out when comments are added under photos, and when new photos are added themselves.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 8:41 pm

If I google Demille Theater NY I first get Psycho at the Demille on a Hitchcock site and my second listing is Embassy 1,2,3 on the CT page. If I put Demille Theater into the CT search engine I get ‘no matches found.’ If I put in Embassy 1, 2, 3 same thing. Maybe the CT search engine can be refined?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 13, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Also CT’s listings are often under the current or most recent name rather than the original name when a theatre has gone under different names. Can be confusing.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 13, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Agreed. Google is much more efficient and faster than CT’s own search engine.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 13, 2017 at 7:18 pm

For both open and closed theatres I usually use Google first, typing Cinema Treasures, Theatre name (if i know it) and the city. It usually pulls up the Photos page of most of the theatres as well, so I can do a quick check to see if what I am about to post is already there. I only search within CT, if I am having trouble locating obscure or missing theatres, that may have been listed under other names.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I’ve been simply Googling Astor Theater NY and the CT page pops up as an option. I thought there was an easy way from the home page which there was a few(maybe more?) years ago. I’m not sure why now you can only easily get current movie theaters first time out. Thanks.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 13, 2017 at 5:56 pm

You can directly type in your device’s browser the theater’s name, city and this site- Roxy New York City cinematreasures.org and the theater’s page will appear- rather than looking for an open theater, a map, etc.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Thank you! Things were so much easier in the old days.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 13, 2017 at 3:55 pm

If you know what city the closed theater was in, go to the page of an open theater in that city. Then click on that city’s name in the tool bar above the name on that theater’s page. A map will appear with another tool bar below it. Closed will be one of the options in that tool bar.

To post a photo, click on Photos of the given theater. Once in that section, go to the bottom and click “Add New Photo. The next screen will given you two boxes two description to fill out. Then click under the word Photo where it says "Browse…” That will open the sources on your computer where your own photos are stored. Pick and click on your photo, and your file name will appear next to that box. Choose the type of license that applies, then click the “Upload Photo” box at the bottom of the page.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I don’t know where to ask for general info but I know this theater gets a lot of traffic so I thought I’d ask it here: How does one look up a closed theater on this site? It used to be easy. I’m sure it still is but I haven’t figured it out. I just get active theaters.

Also how do I post a photo?

Thanks for your help.