AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82 on October 17, 2016 at 2:40 pm

The reviews for the movie aren’t that good, mostly viewers who complained more about the visuals than the storyline.

xbs2034 on October 17, 2016 at 11:11 am

Darth_Vader444: Billy Lynn isn’t scheduled to be an IMAX release, so I don’t think there is any correlation (though yes, fully expect Rogue One to play in IMAX laser here).

But what it means is the regular-sized Kings screen on the second floor, which underwent the million dollar renovation to be able to host the world premiere of Billy Lynn (custom built projector, and required other auditorium changes) will also be one of a handful of screens worldwide playing it in the 120 fps/3D/4K format Ang Lee shot it in when that releases on November 11.

Darth_Vader444 on October 16, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Does that mean that the Imax theater will be playing Rogue one with the new laser projectors?

xbs2034 on October 16, 2016 at 8:48 pm

My brother and sister are seeing Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk here as part of NYFF. Its the “Kings” screen which has gone through the million dollar renovation in order to be able to play it in 120 fps/3D/4K, and my brother checked with the theater and confirmed it will play in that format during its regular theatrical release (as expected given all the trouble of prepping the screen for its NYFF premiere).

Darth_Vader444 on October 16, 2016 at 10:47 am

I used the fan alert last year for Force Awakens. It sent me an alert the next day after tickets were all sold out. Good thing I logged into fandango before the last trailer played on Monday Night Football, and scooped up tickets. If I would have relied on the fandango alert, I would have had to go a week or two after the release date. lol

hdtv267 on October 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I know Fandango has made ALOT of changes the past few months, upgraded the app & so forth.

If you click on the movie title, “See it in IMAX 3D” then that takes you to “FAN ALERT”, you can sign up for when tickets go on sale. Saves alot of time & angst.

Darth_Vader444 on October 13, 2016 at 8:00 am

The final Rogue one trailer just dropped. Last year, Force Awakens tickets went on sale right before the trailer dropped. I’m hoping Lincoln Square has IMAX tickets available when they do go on sale. My fingers are crossed!!!

Darth_Vader444 on October 9, 2016 at 11:36 am

Thanks for the update! I have my fingers crossed! I’m really hoping to see Rogue One in Imax with Laser! I just hope they have the tickets up for presale. Rumor is the Rogue one final trailer will be released in the next couple weeks. If Rogue One ticket presales are anything like Force Awakens, that means that presales for Rogue one could drop as soon as the trailer is released.

xbs2034 on October 7, 2016 at 11:36 pm

Sounds like IMAX renovations are going well so far. According to IMAX’s chief marketing officer the hope is to re-open with Doctor Strange, but it will be open “for sure” with Fantastic Beasts (and naturally play Rogue One as well, this also goes with the plan I heard from staff at the theater right before the renovation began).

Darth_Vader444 on October 4, 2016 at 9:20 am

Thanks for giving your opinion. If I were to bet, I’d say it won’t be ready until 2017. I wish the theater updated it’s facebook page to keep us in the loop. I guess most people aren’t so into the greatest audio/video experience possible. I’m glad I have a backup plan to see it in D.C. I think your right about the tickets being made available after Doctor Strange features the last trailer. Let me know if you hear anything.

moviebuff82 on October 3, 2016 at 6:34 pm

i can’t wait….i think when tickets go on sale the final trailer for rogue one will be released online before making its theatrical debut with Doctor Strange in November. It’s whether it will open. Weather delays might delay the transportation of materials needed to retrofit the laser projectors inside the largest and tallest auditorium on the east coast.

Darth_Vader444 on October 1, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I’m so excited that there finally putting in the laser projectors, and putting in comfortable seats in the Lincoln Square Imax. My family has been going there for many years. I’ve seen countless blockbusters at LS. It’s an incredible theater! However I’m super worried that the renovation won’t be complete for Rogue One on Dec 16. Last year my entire family started what we thought would be a Christmas time tradition of seeing the new Star Wars movie in the Lincoln Square Imax theater. Last year we had a blast, even though I had to settle for Imax digital (AKA Liemax). Now I find myself considering going to washington DC to see it on their full laser Imax screens, in case Lincoln Square isn’t ready in time. Can anyone give me their opinion on weather or not Lincoln Square will be open in time to pre-order tickets for Rogue One? If it’s not going to happen I have to plan a trip to D.C. it looks like. Thanks.

xbs2034 on September 28, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Mikeoaklandpark- Sully (and any film shot with IMAX cameras) is 2.35 in other theaters as part of the agreement for using those cameras is that the expanded image be exclusive to IMAX screens.

Also, RPX is just Regal taking the screen they already have and giving it the large format designation, there isn’t another party involved working on the projection and sound like with IMAX or Dolby Cinema (though I don’t want to hate on Regal too much, for standard screens and theater maintenance I’ve mostly liked the chain).

ridethectrain on September 28, 2016 at 3:00 pm

After IMAX, take Dolby Cinema at AMC, it’s better than Regal.. Very rarely go to RPX

Mikeoaklandpark on September 28, 2016 at 2:44 pm

So guys I have a question, is Imax different from Regal RPX? I saw Sully in RPX because I had a free ticket. I was not impressed. The screen in 2 of the other theaters are much larger than the RPX. I remember IMAX in Ft Lauderdale and it was this huge screen that the whole film covered. What I saw was like any other theater for a film in 2.35 aspect ratio, black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Not at all impressed.

ridethectrain on September 28, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Sully was excellent n imax laser. Love the 12 channels of sound. Saw it at AMC Universal in LA. Also the sound and picture great at TLC Chinese. Cant wait for Lincoln Square Imax Laser

moviebuff82 on September 28, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Even without the imax, Sully did quite well at this theater and the one on 84th Street, both the highest grossing venues in the NYC area for that movie when it opened nearly three weeks ago.

moviebuff82 on September 15, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Mission Impossible 5, unlike the 4th one, wasn’t shot in Imax and was an IMAX DMR remastering from the original format. How’s work going at Lincoln Square IMAX? Seems there’s fewer moviegoers there.

xbs2034 on September 7, 2016 at 8:47 am

Because the IMAX screen here is under renovation, they went ahead and installed IMAX equipment at Alice Tully Hall (which I don’t believe is listed here as it doesn’t do commercial runs of movies, but does also host many New York Film Festival showings) a few blocks away just to be able to host the Sully premiere. A similar undertaking was done previously with the Vienna Opera House to show the Mission Impossible 5 premiere in IMAX.

markp on September 6, 2016 at 5:10 pm

All the 70MM equipment put in the theatres after Hateful8 was removed and put back in storage. The quick disconnect wiring was left in place. I was smart enough while at the Regal E-Walk to make a notation of the package number I ran, so if I’m lucky enough to get called again next summer, I know what to ask for. Was problem free the entire 2 weeks.

markp on September 6, 2016 at 5:06 pm

digital3d, Thank You. I come from a family of union projectionists. My father was one for 55 years, my uncle for 54. I’m in my 40th this year. I only do the occasional movie now that everything is digital. It was a great run though.

hdtv267 on September 6, 2016 at 2:51 pm

yes, people know the IMAX is under renovation.

What purpose are you trying to serve with this post other than talking to yourself.

Also if you insist on these run on sentences, have consideration for the other readers on this board and use your spacebar.

moviebuff82 on September 6, 2016 at 2:46 pm

There was an issue at Rockaway where the previews didn’t show up via satellite and then the movie began with 35mm projection. When 4k projection arrived, the DCI became 2k satellite (much like Imax digital but less brighter), with 4k becoming used for main features. I know that some Fathom Events such as Lawrence of Arabia were shipped on 4k drives rather than streaming to the projector for optimal sound quality. The sound quality of the Fathom Events is stereo compared to 5.1 or greater for the main feature. Very rarely they show 3d live events such as Dr. Who, which at the time was the highest grossing Fathom Event ever until the live stream of Batman The Killing Joke. I think next year AMC will renovate every other seat with recliners and make the Atmos theater an AMC Dolby Cinema location which will be the second after the AMC Empire 25. I hope they keep 70mm film for the release of Dunkirk. Sadly the only way to see Sully in IMAX will be at Empire, Kips Bay, or 34th street. Maybe they’ll show it once the renovations are done or just in time for oscar season. Sully was shot on Digital IMAX so the ratio is different and more like widescreen IMAX.

digital3d on September 5, 2016 at 12:21 am

Whoa, @markp; didn’t know that all the other NYC theaters had to use the back up. While I do prefer digital I do really respect your decades as a projectionist. That takes dedication!

Interesting you mention the Fathom events @moviebuff82, because I once didn’t get to see the First Look previews because something was screwed up with the satellite projection.