AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

hdtv267
hdtv267 on August 30, 2016 at 1:14 am

where? I don’t see it on AMC’s website or Fandango?

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 29, 2016 at 10:38 pm

AMC is starting soon reserved seating in all screens with regular seats.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on August 27, 2016 at 3:09 pm

sure, when you’re watching a movie in an olde time theatre, like the Bijou Theatre in BugTussle you’ll hear the projector, that’s why Pearl Bodine needs to play so loudly on the pie-any.

I’ve attended different “theaters” inside this complex and never heard a projector once. I’ve heard other noises. Not as bad as some of the noises I would hear on 42nd Street or the theaters on 8th Avenue

markp
markp on August 24, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I loved the sound of the old film projectors. And in my 37 full time years as a projectionist, I never scratched film, even my 12 years in the adult theatres. I cared for the film and kept my projectors spotless.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on August 24, 2016 at 3:43 am

yeah now a days you get to hear people talking loudly, video games, texts and tweets coming in.

I’m not sure what movie theatres you went to, but if I’m hearing the projector, there’s an issue with the sound system

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 23, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Going to the movies is better than at home. Don’t miss film hearing the sound of the projector, scratches

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 23, 2016 at 2:12 pm

The Lincoln Square isn’t what it used to be. Sure, the IMAX makes up the bulk of the moviegoing experience as it is the largest screen in the NYC area and also the busiest. Having the laser projection installed in it will raise the price even further. Not only that, but food prices will increase. I like the old film projection as it is sharper than digital and makes it look like a bluray movie projected on a giant screen. 4k is here to stay at home and 8k is only being used on tall screens for sports arenas and the like. I’m happy with my 1080p 3d tv. heck, the 1080p 2d is better than the 3d.

markp
markp on August 23, 2016 at 10:28 am

I agree with you on all points hdtv267. I might add that as a 40 year veteran projectionist, I personally am not a fan of digital, since it put me out of work 3 years ago, and I could care less about digital imax or laser or anything else. To me its getting all out of control, and going to the movies just isn’t what it use to be. Yes I’m an old fuddy duddy. You can say it.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on August 22, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Don’t plan on a November opening. The IMAX renovation at the Metreon took 6 weeks longer than planned, and then also had to close again for a couple weeks to make re-adjustments.

So don’t start pools for the first movie or bitch and whine if it goes into December This isn’t the youngest of buildings, and complications occur.

The best thing anyone can do is provide rational updates from verified sources with links and photos to document the transition.

Take the speculation, bitching and moaning to Facebook, twitter, Instagram or snapchat where it belongs.

you’re going to drive yourselves and others insane with the constant posting & kvetching.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 22, 2016 at 12:22 pm

It looks like Ill see Sully and The Magificent Seven on vacation in imax lasser in Hollywood

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 22, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Just a little more to add to Billy Lynn, the NY Times indeed say it is expected that Lincoln Square will play Billy Lynn in Ang Lee’s format during theatrical release I figured (given the expense/trouble involved with specially outfitting a screen) but still nice to hear.

Also, sounds like Lincoln Square may be the only theater to play it that way, though there will be 4k/3D/60 fps and 4k/2D/120 fps showings at other theaters.

As for IMAX laser, I was told their hope was for the start of holiday season blockbusters but definitely by Thanksgiving barring a major delay, so sounds like they aiming for Doctor Strange but could slip to Fantastic Beasts.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 22, 2016 at 12:09 pm

It will be worth the drive to NYC to see an imax laser movie. Wonder if Fantastic Beasts will be the first one or maybe Dr. Strange?

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 22, 2016 at 9:55 am

This theater will host the first ever 3D/4K/120 fps public showing with the World Premiere of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk on October 14th. It will be in relatively small screen with 300 seats, and hopefully also plays that way during its commercial run here.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 22, 2016 at 9:00 am

According to the theatre today, the IMAX theatre will be closed until November

mrwipe
mrwipe on August 21, 2016 at 8:10 pm

IT’S HAPPENING!!!!! Can’t wait to finally come back to my favorite movie screen in NYC and see the new projector!!!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 19, 2016 at 11:22 am

thanks for the update xbs2034. After that’s done, I think AMC will renovate the other screens too and put in reserved seating.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 18, 2016 at 9:10 am

The IMAX screen is scheduled to close after this weekend, for laser and other improvements (new seats, sound system, quality assurance monitoring system). Their plan is indeed to reopen for the holiday season blockbusters provided there are no delays in construction.

ImaxGeek
ImaxGeek on August 7, 2016 at 11:16 am

Dear Alpinedownhiller, the Warren Imax theater is a Digital Imax theater. Even though the screen is wider, the screen has a smaller area because it is 1:1.9 instead of 1: 1.44. The Warren Imax has a 101 by 54 foot screen. The Lowes Imax theater has a 97 by 76 foot screen. This equates to 5,454 square feet compared to 7,372 square feet. So, the Lowes Imax theater is still tied for the largest Imax Screen in North America. AMC Loews Metreon 16 in San Francisco has an identical Imax screen. Both Imax theaters were built in the mid 1990s and designed by Gensler*. The Lowes Metreon has the Imax Lazer projection system. The Lincoln Square Imax has Digital Imax projection. Both Imax theaters seat 600 people.

*Note: The rest of the Lowes Metreon was designed by renowned architect and set designer David Rockwell as was many of the 1990’s Lowes theaters.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10326- The Link to the Cinema Tresures Page on the Lowes Metreon.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on August 1, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Sure would be nice if they had it ready for Rogue One.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on August 1, 2016 at 6:42 am

I don’t see anything official on IMAX’s account, and we know they’ve delayed plans multiple times, so can’t get too excited until the renovation actually begins. But if it starts after Sucide Squad’s run, seems unlikely they would have it ready for Sully (the first Hollywood film almost entirely shot with IMAX cameras) on Sept. 9, but maybe for Terence Malick’s Voyage of Time (which you know would look great in IMAX laser) in October, and obviously they would only do it if they can be open for Holiday blockbusters like Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 31, 2016 at 4:34 pm

According to what I heard from the Imax twitter account, they are planning to install the laser once Suicide Squad’s run is over. I can’t wait to make the ride to NYC to see a big screen movie in laser as my local theater still uses the 2k system that most digital imaxes use.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on July 5, 2016 at 3:23 pm

They really need a true utter giant screen 90' wide and full height laser imax out in the burbs though as going to NYC is a nightmare mess (still I’d do it for Laser 3D IMAX for a a very few super huge films).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on July 5, 2016 at 3:21 pm

People care about Laser 3D IMAX because it’s one hell of a different experience to see something filling up the entire screen than something filling up a small rectangular portion of it. And the much deeper blacks, larger color gamut, the utterly ghost free and natural 3D, much crisper image. It’s night and day Laser 3D IMAX compared to regular Xenon 3D IMAX.

I was totally blown away when I saw TFA in Laser 3d IMAX up in Boston.

markp
markp on July 3, 2016 at 8:08 am

hdtv267, as much as I love film, having been a union projectionist for 40 years, even I have to admit the film is dead. I didn’t want to believe it 3 years ago when I lost my full time job, but aside from being able to run Hateful 8 in 70MM over Christmas holidays, even now I can see film is dead. Ive come to accept (not mean like) digital, and Ive not seen any laser. So all these people who keep wondering, well keep wondering, because even this old seasoned veteran projectionist can tell you film is dead.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on July 3, 2016 at 4:39 am

What’s pathetic is that he actually thought they’d do that for one showing. Who the hell really cares?

Since AMC clearly doesn’t think installing laser is at this rat trap is so important, it baffles my mind why the hell all of you are losing sleep over it.

I hope someone’s running a pool on it, I really do. I’d win as I’ll be seeing a laser IMAX 3D (AGAIN) in San Francisco in November in a real theater complex with LASER IMAX. Yeah, they gave it to a real City with a winning baseball team first.