AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 4, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I think they cut back on the imax seats a bit…it used to be around 600. Theater 1 is the Loews screen with Atmos.

greenth1ng

• Theater 9 – 228 seats

• Theater 10 – 126 seats

• Theater 11 – 146 seats

• Theater 13 (IMAX) – 512 seats

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 1, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Too bad it won’t fill up the screen like Fantastic Beasts did.

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm

They really seem to be on the right track. I was very impressed by the response I received! I’m super excited and expect to be blown away by Rogue one in all it Imax laser 3d glory!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 30, 2016 at 8:00 pm

During every showing of an imax movie at the very end before the lights turn on, they have an email address for the CQO as well as Eileen on twitter. You can also facebook message the imax page. They are very helpful. I think the lincoln square imax is now the best imax on the east coast!!!

Movie_Time
Movie_Time on November 30, 2016 at 12:39 am

Darth_Vader444- I also emailed CQO at IMAX this morning. They apologized for the vertical lines on the screen for the Fantastic Beast showing and assured me that it will be fixed in time for Rogue One. I encourage anyone else who had any issues with the IMAX showing of Fantastic Beast to email CQO at IMAX. Thanks guys!!

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 29, 2016 at 10:08 pm

So I emailed Imax CQO yesterday and got an amazing response! I was assured the problems with fantastic beasts will be fixed for Rogue one!!! How awesome is that?!?! Great to see good people running the show!

hdtv267
hdtv267 on November 29, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 29, 2016 at 2:40 am

Thanks Movie_Time! Good to hear! I’m super stoked about the added comfort! Can’t wait for the 16th! I will definitely email the imax guys about the issues mentioned. I really want to see them get it right for Rogue One.

Movie_Time
Movie_Time on November 29, 2016 at 1:17 am

Darth_Vader444 – The seats are all new. They are definitely more comfortable than the last set of seats. They don’t really recline, but they push back a little. Not as large and nice as the AMC Dolby Cinema though. Got my IMAX Rogue One tickets for Sunday last night. We should definitely all shoot our concerns over to IMAX guys. Thanks

mskeeter
mskeeter on November 29, 2016 at 12:43 am

I spoke with an IMAX executive via Twitter and she said to email them about the various issues and they will check it out:

CQO (at) IMAX (dot) com

Hopefully if they get enough reports, they will fix them in time for Rogue One.

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Tickets went fast! Fandango was useless last night when tickets went on sale. They had every show listed as “Sold Out.” Luckily I tried the AMC website and got tickets. They aren’t in our favorite place (Row D/E seats 20-24) but close enough. I’m super excited to see Rogue One in the newly renovated theater. I do hope they iron out the bugs that were mentioned by Movie_Time.

xbs2034 – I’ve seen a 3D presentation in 70MM Imax years ago and it was amazing 3D for sure! I’m hoping the 3D with the new laser system is awesome!

Movie_Time – Can you comment on the new seating? Is there a big difference? I’m a big guy and as much as I love the experience of the Lincoln Square Imax, the comfort level of the seats had much to be desired.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 28, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Rogue one tix now on sale in laser 3d imax, 3d, and 2d.

CHH32
CHH32 on November 28, 2016 at 5:18 pm

@Movie_Time you are right. Dolby cinema has darker blacks because it has a contrast ratio of 1million:1, which is more than 100 times higher than laser IMAX. IMO, Dolby cinema may have better picture quality and sound system(and seats), but I still think Lincoln Square laser IMAX is the best just because of the massive screen.

Movie_Time
Movie_Time on November 28, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Hello All. I recently discovered this great site. Nice work guys. I went to see Fantastic Beasts in the newly renovated IMAX on Friday. I also noticed the Vertical lines on the screen and I found them very distracting.
Very noticeable in the brightest scenes. Also, and please correct me if I am misinformed here, I noticed that the blacks were not as black from this projection as I expected them to be from the IMAX laser. Im not sure if this is a calibration issue or not. I am comparing it to the AMC Empire Dolby Cinema on 42nd Street. ( I know this is not an apples to apples comparison). This theater has the the darkest blacks that I have seen so far in NYC. If any of you experts have any information or insight on this I would love if you would share it with us. The Lincoln Square IMAX has always been one of my favorite theaters in NYC. I must say, I found the vertical lines on the brand new screen a big disappointment on my first return to my favorite theater. Hopefully this will addressed and Rouge One will be a great experience for us all. Thanks

xbs2034
xbs2034 on November 28, 2016 at 2:53 pm

35mmpaul- the film projector was decommissioned last Fall when they thought they thought they would do laser renovation early this year, and then it had to be reinstalled before Batman v Superman. From what I understand, the laser system takes up much more space in the projection booth than digital did, so most theaters can’t switch between projectors like they did for film/digital with a rail system. Dunkirk will get a 15/70 release, but probably not at Lincoln Square (Rogue One has 12 U.S. 15/70 theaters, and my guess is the Dunkirk release will be similar, still NYC should have 35mm and maybe regular 70mm sites available if Nolan does another film only early release window as is rumored).

Darth_Vader444 15/70 IMAX was 3D capable, and probably the best 3D system IMO, but the cost of making those dual strip 3D prints became quite expensive, so none have been made since 2013 and we likely aren’t getting anymore unfortunately.

jmcr8
jmcr8 on November 28, 2016 at 2:11 am

@mhvbear on November 22, 2016 at 11:41 am My biggest complaint was they didn’t dim the lights during the previews and brought them up at the beginning of the end credits. I would think the 2 lighted IMAX signs on the side walls of the theater would have provided enough light for people coming in and leaving.

Yeah I really dislike the new lighting triggers. Staying on during the previews is bad enough but coming up right when the end credits start to roll feels like you’re being kicked out. There are often after credit scenes and they’re ruined with light streaming across the screen.

They really don’t turn off those 2 lighted IMAX signs on the walls? That must be a huge distraction from the back rows.

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I’ve read that laser equals the resolution of 70mm. IDK. That’s not my thing. If you look at every IMAX that has gone to laser, none have gone back to 70mm.

35mmpaul
35mmpaul on November 26, 2016 at 8:11 am

70mm isn’t gone forever. They will probably get it back for Dunkrik. Film still has higher resolution than laser by almost double. The renovation took a long time to get done due to the complications with their building they are in. It’s not just the movie theater they have to go through the building’s manager. Hence the delays. The biggest component is that they upgraded the projector so it takes up the full screen of the imax. Which only happened when seeing film prints.=

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 23, 2016 at 12:19 am

I think that now that the laser is in, the 70mm is gone forever. For me, 70mm is great but I do enjoy 3D. laser is the best of both worlds with great resolution and 3D. Unfortunately who knows when the projection screen will be properly calibrated and functioning at an optimum level. I think they rushed the opening big time! How do you open without the construction being completed, and with the projector, screen, and audio not properly calibrated?!?! If it’s not done for Rogue one, the Lincoln Square Imax renovation is an epic fail in my book. Also, keep in mind this renovation was originally slated to be done for this time last year!!!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 22, 2016 at 9:29 pm

The imax was aging and seats had wear and tear. I hope they use 70mm projection when Dunkirk opens next summer.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 22, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Hello-

the last time i was in the IMAX auditorium was to see The Jungle Book this past April. i thought the projection and sound were A+ so why were renovations needed?

mhvbear
mhvbear on November 22, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I didn’t notice any line on the screen from Row M Center on Saturday. What I did notice was some blurring in some of the tracking shots in the film. My biggest complaint was they didn’t dim the lights during the previews and brought them up at the beginning of the end credits. I would think the 2 lighted IMAX signs on the side walls of the theater would have provided enough light for people coming in and leaving.

Darth_Vader444
Darth_Vader444 on November 22, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Jeese I hope they iron out these kinks before Rogue One.