AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

digital3d
digital3d on May 30, 2016 at 11:40 am

It still stands out of other multiplex theaters because of the design. Especially NYC doesn’t really have much art in the theaters. Magic Johnson and maybe 34th St are the only theaters besides Lincoln Square that I know of that have special artwork inside.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 30, 2016 at 11:16 am

When the theater first opened it was a technological marvel with all the bells and whistles of a modern multiplex. Nowadays it’s thriving but not doing as much business as the Times Square theaters. Still a good place to hold East Coast premieres now that the Ziegfeld is closed.

poland626
poland626 on May 28, 2016 at 12:43 am

haha that profile pic is great because I think corky romano came out in 2000/2001. That’s a really, REALLY old photo.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 15, 2016 at 4:26 pm

profile pic changed…i love the escalator…i hope they don’t change the mural….it’s classic…

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

What a shame….

waterguy56
waterguy56 on May 13, 2016 at 8:04 am

@Sadash, laser renovation will begin sometime around late summer according to the IMAX chief marketing officer who said in Twitter, may be delayed again, who knows.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 12, 2016 at 2:26 pm

moviebuff82, advanced IMAX tickets for Warcraft are already on-sale for Lincoln Square, so not sure why you don’t think it is playing in IMAX.

The only thing is the IMAX fan event is being done at AMC Empire 25 instead.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 12, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Warcraft is not playing in imax.

Ssdash
Ssdash on May 10, 2016 at 9:09 pm

What’s the latest update on the expected installation of the Laser projector? no hope for civil war I presume but would love to see Rogue One in the format.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm

No recliners at this theater, though.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 9, 2016 at 6:03 pm

I believe the IMAX, balcony in the Loews, and three screens in the basement have stadium seating.

mhvbear
mhvbear on May 9, 2016 at 12:33 pm

No stadium in the orchestra seating of the Loews. Probably stadium seating in the balcony section. But never sat up there.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 9, 2016 at 11:55 am

Isn’t the Loews the only one with stadium seating besides the imax theater in this venue?

digital3d
digital3d on May 7, 2016 at 4:44 pm

“I actually was going to see Everybody Wants Some here a few weeks ago and when I arrived the showing had been cancelled so they could host a NYC premiere that night”

Fair point, but couldn’t you say that about any advance screening in general?

Maybe they should take one auditorium in 68th and just reserve it for premieres. 68th st is a nice venue which I think could work very well for premieres. The Loews theater foe example has balcony so stars could sit there.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 7, 2016 at 3:56 pm

I agree, doing a premiere in a multiplex which is showing other movies (I actually was going to see Everybody Wants Some here a few weeks ago and when I arrived the showing had been cancelled so they could host a NYC premiere that night) just isn’t the same as having a movie palace all to itself.

I would think the Paris theater would be a better option, but studios rarely seem to use that location, and I imagine if studios aren’t happy with Lincoln Square for premieres, they may look for special venues like Batman v Superman did with Radio City, or host it in a different city.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on May 7, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Sadly, Ziegfeld won’t be showing any movies, never mind premieres anymore.

A Jan 28th showing of The Force Awakens was the last movie it ever showed. :( Another big palace trashed by a developer. Studios not happy as it was the poshest place by far and they had been trying to do more premieres in NYC again. Even a couple years ago one I was in got switched late in the game from Ziegfeld to LS.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 7, 2016 at 6:08 am

With the ziegfeld no longer showing world premieres of big movies, this theater is filling in the void for east coast premieres.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 6, 2016 at 12:51 pm

IMAX has said that at least for now, they are only doing laser on screens 80feet wide or bigger, so that suggests digital cannot fill that size.

Also, purely by eyeballing it, I would guess the current digital set up is about 75 feet wide, there are significantly sized black bars on both the left and right.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on May 6, 2016 at 12:34 pm

And I had heard that most digital projectors couldn’t really even quite hit 70' scope, only a maybe one, not sure though.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on May 6, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Maybe things have changed, but at one point I had heard that digital couldn’t handle anything bigger than 70' scope. Maybe they can hit 85' now?? I still thought only laser or film could (although I heard the 85' 35mm projections tended to look somewhat dim (obviously the 1570 IMAX places could do a very bright ultra giant screen though).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on May 6, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Well NJ does have the Liberty IMAX which is huge, however it is domed so it’s poor for regular movies (which they don’t show anyway).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on May 6, 2016 at 12:29 pm

thanks, so I guess LS is no longer the largest and reading the comments there, actually only tied for 2nd largest in NA now. “The IMAX at the Warren Theater in Wichita, Ks is 101 ft x 84 ft”

Not that 97' vs 101' is much of a big deal, all three are insanely awesome sized

it is frustrating that NJ, with all the population and money, somehow never ever gets those true ultra giant screens. I’m all but positive that not a single screen is over 70' wide in all of northern and central NJ. I’m not even certain that is has anything over 61' or so wide.

still, it is better than it used to be, between around 1984 and roughly 1999 (the old Paramus 4 with the 2500 seat auditorium with a balcony screen was said to have been 62'x31' but they chopped it into EIGHT mini-screens on two levels around 1984?? :( ) I don’t think it had anything over 50' wide, and not much over 40'. The Rockaway AMC alone has four screens over 55' wide. I’m not quite sure but I think it has two 57'x30.5' (pretty much positive about this going by an article that came out when they built the place), one 57'x 25' (it looks like it’s same width but scope ratio instead, more seats though, not quite sure) and the IMAX which is probably around the 59'x33.7' range.

anyway i’m getting too off-topic for LS now

stevenj
stevenj on May 6, 2016 at 8:44 am

alpinedownhiller….Left off your list….SF’s Metreon 16 IMAX screen is the same size as Lincoln Sq 13 – 75X97

WSJ article

xbs2034
xbs2034 on May 5, 2016 at 10:25 pm

I saw Civil War here as well, and yes they always show digital IMAX windowboxed here since the projectors can’t fill the screen.

Only 15/70 IMAX filled the screen on the sides for widescreen movies, and completely with IMAX shot scenes (laser would do the same if they ever actually install it- has been delayed like 4 times already, and now Sydney IMAX is saying delayed till 2017 for them, which is crazy as it’s the world’s largest movie screen and really should have been one of the early ones to get the system)

digital3d
digital3d on May 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm

I saw Civil War here. It was my first Imax visit. And is it true that they always only uss a certain part of the screen? It felt like they just wasted a huge chunk of space on the screen. Why not use it all? Even the expanded sequence had black bars all around (even though that sequence looked pretty amazing in that expanded format.)