Capri Theater

“My Fair Lady”-January 27,1965

“The Agony and the Ecstasy”-January 26,1966

“The Hallelujah Trail”-October 7,1965

“The Lion In Winter”-February 12,1969

Jay Morong
Jay Morong on July 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm

In doing some research on this theater i have found out that the theater actually opened on October 16th, 1964 and not on November 2nd as listed above. Not a huge deal but thought it would be good to post. I will post a picture of the opening night ad that proclaims the theater as “a new concept in theatre design” and also a blurb about the opening of the theater in the photo section.

raysson
raysson on March 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn in THE LION IN WINTER played here as a reserved seat engagement at Charlotte’s Capri Theatre on February 12, 1969. It was the ONLY roadshow presentation that played within the two Carolinas with two performances during each showing.

tccox
tccox on January 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Nighthawk1 The Capri was a single screen , 995 seat theatre from the time it opened until I left in 1974. Second and third screens were added after 1974

NightHawk1
NightHawk1 on September 3, 2012 at 3:18 pm

In my opinion the Capri was the best looking theater Stewart & Everett ever built; S&E apparently never used the Capri’s design for any other location – this was obviously S&E’s flagship until they opened the Town Cinema 6 in the 1980s (The Town Cinema was cloned several times, unlike the Capri). Under Carmike the Capri and Village theaters were run as dollar houses; the Village closed first (about 1989) and the Capri closed after Carmike took over Cineplex Odeon’s NC theaters (Park Terrace and Matthews Festival 10 in the Charlotte area) in 1990. The Capri Theater closed long before 1996; AKA Capri 1 & 2, Capri 1-2-3, and finally Capri Triple.

Jay Morong
Jay Morong on July 26, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I am working on a project on “Lost” Charlotte Movie Theaters for UNC-Charlotte where i am a faculty member. Would love to get in touch with anyone who as insight into this theater (stories, pics, whatever). You can send me an email at and hopefully we can talk about your interest or info on the lost theaters of Charlotte. – Thanks

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on March 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Don’t know how busy it was in 1982 with “E.T.” – I left in 1975 – didn’t remember that picture playing first run there either. About the ads – do you mean you have the tear sheets? (from the newspaper) Or do you mean you have the actual paste-ups? I’ll email you.

raysson
raysson on March 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Patricia Carol: It must have been crazy dealing with the capacity crowds when “E.T.” played there in June of 1982. I know the ushers were really working their behinds off between showings,not to mention dealing with the capacity crowds that arrived early for that too. By the way Patricia e-mail me sometime at I have in my possession the original ads for “E.T.” where it played at the Capri first-run in 1982. Also,the original ad from January 28,1965 where the Capri played “My Fair Lady” during it’s exclusive roadshow run. Not to mention,I have the ad for the theatre’s grand opening from the Charlotte Observer newspaper of November 2,1964.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on March 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

You would be right but I don’t remember anyone by the last name of Cox (assuming that is your last name). You probably paid little attention to me. I worked very part-time in the beginning but (I think) at least two part-time shifts on the weekend during The Exorcist. Exorcist was so busy – the ushers were really, really working with the crowd and we were crazy back behind the concession stand – as soon as we finally got the last served, it would start all over again as people arrived early for the next show. Wasn’t lots of time for chit-chatting while it played. Learned how to count back change in that job – no one knows how to do that anymore but I’ve never forgotten.

tccox
tccox on March 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Patricia. I was there when the exorcist was there also. We must have worked together.

raysson
raysson on February 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

Steven Spielburg’s masterpiece “E.T.” played here first-run at this theatre on June 11,1982. I have the original ads from the Charlotte Observer. Presented in DOBLY STEREO.

tccox
tccox on February 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Well, they were not big stars at the time. Just starting out I think. I got to go to the luncheon for them but mr brand had me work the rest of the day and David Newton got to spend the rest of the day driving them to various public apperiences in his red 66 ford mustang. Movie premiered in July 1973.

raysson
raysson on February 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm

tccox and patriciacarol: Interesting! I do recall the Junior Johnson Story having its world premiere for one of the ads that I saw in the Charlotte Observer,somewhere during the mid-1970’s. Having the honor and the pleasure of meeting two big Hollywood stars…Jeff Bridges and Valerie Perrine and joining them for lunch across the street from the theatre! That’s a day worth remembering! I’m from the Raleigh-Durham area,and I was born in the Charlotte area,and I do recall vivid memories of the Capri Theatre. Not to mention The Ramada Inn across Independence Boulevard and at one time The Peddler Steakhouse,which was Charlotte’s top-rated restaurant that was next door to the cinema! All along that stretch of Independence Boulevard! E-mail:

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on February 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Cool! Wonder where those photos went? Daddy always made sure there were photos of any promotions – I’m afraid my mother threw away some things not too long after his death in 1998. She didn’t think they were important. I did not remember that premier but remembered the movie. And the Ramada Inn’s restaurant across the street used to be a nice place to go. Not to mention The Peddler Steakhouse next door to the theatre (for a time). Thanks for sharing!

tccox
tccox on February 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Ok, the last American hero, the junior Johnson story made its world premier at the Capri. The stars Jeff bridges and valerie perin came and I had the pleasure of having lunch with them at the hotel across the street from the Capri.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on February 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm

On January 31, 1977 Carrie was playing and for just a day, author Stephen King was in the lobby signing copies of his book of the same title (you could purchase the paperbacks there). I was no longer an employee but came by, thinking there would be a huge crowd and there was no one – so I sat in the lobby and chit-chatted with Stephen King for a few minutes and of course, bought a book and had him sign it. Nothing profound from it – just a little quirky bit of history for the Capri.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on February 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Hello! I loved Mr. Higgins – everyone did! He was funny — when the 2nd auditorium was built, he would tear the tickets and just say “To your left” or “To your right” over and over (well, if it was busy it would be over and over) I started with The Exorcist in 1974 – concession stand – sometimes it was so wild back there but there was nothing better than getting everyone served and in the theatre in record time. Don’t remember Mr. Anderson. And I agree, Mr. Brand was a great boss!

tccox
tccox on February 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

Patricia I knew your father, Eddie marks. For a while there I was sorta mr brands assistant manager and I remember helping out your dad a couple of times. Wow this is bringing back memories. Worth, you and I worked there at the same time

tccox
tccox on February 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Worked there from late sixties to about 1974. Best job I ever had and Mr Brand was best boss I ever had. Bert Higgins , mr Anderson, the projectionist who’d smoke whacky tabacca while working. The popcorn room upstairs where I spent many a hour popping popcorn. Charlotte premier of the exorcist was there. Loved working there.

raysson
raysson on January 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I have found the original ads for the Audrey Hepburn-Rex Harrison film MY FAIR LADY from the January 27,1965 and January 28,1965 ad from the Charlotte Observer. The 1/27/65 ad was a special advance screening that was a reserved seat engagement. The official 1/28/65 run was also a reserved seat engagement. MY FAIR LADY when it played at the Capri in Charlotte was the ONLY roadshow engagement within the Carolinas where it played. The ONLY place where you got to see it between Atlanta and Washington,DC. Other cities in the Carolinas didn’t get MY FAIR LADY until mid-1966.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

“SMILE” on the marquee in 1974.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on March 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm

PatricianNC pictures from the Diane-29 Drive-in are on CT.Didn’t know if you knew.

PatriciaCarol
PatriciaCarol on March 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Hello Worth. Daddy was always fun because he loved what he did. He also loved to work! Glad you agree about the no rocking chairs – don’t know where those guys got that from. The ghost…Mr. Brand used to tell about working late at night in an upstairs office. Daddy used the other end of the upstairs to paint a lot of his signs and banners before he finally made a place at home to do that. Because of this, he had a key to the theatre. One night, after the theatre had closed, Mr. Brand was upstairs at a desk that was situated so that if you leaned over you could look down the narrow hallway and see who was coming up the stairs when they reached the top. On this particular night he heard someone enter the side door (where the cigarette machine used to be!), walk to the door to the closet/stairs and then footsteps on the stairs. He figured it was my Daddy only when he leaned over to look there was no one. The hairs rose on the back of his neck and he quickly finished up and went home. As teen employees, we tried a seance but didn’t have a clue as to what we were doing and conjured up nothing but a bunch of giggles.

worthkeeter
worthkeeter on March 18, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hi Patricia. Good to hear from you. I really enjoyed working with your father. Capri was not rocking chairs, and I don’t remember the ghost, either.

raysson
raysson on March 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

The Capri Theatre was home to exclusive engagement showings of select films that made their North Carolina premieres here. Among them were the following:
“My Fair Lady"