Texas Theatre

33-35 West Twohig Avenue,
San Angelo, TX 76903

sharlee420
sharlee420 on February 1, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I would love to get my grandfather back in here. He is always telling me stories about all the theaters in San Angelo that were run by Rowley United. I was showing him the pictures that Mrs. Durbin posted on here. he told me about the ceiling, and how they changed the lights, the bolier in the basement, and the building on the roof.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thanks Don,for the ad.

spectrum
spectrum on December 15, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Still closed, but the facade and marquee look in good shape – very fancy marquee! Looks like the building is a converted church.

DonLewis
DonLewis on September 25, 2010 at 7:08 am

From 1961 a movie ad from the Texas Theatre in San Angelo.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

That theatre MUST be saved!

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 12, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Nice photos, what the latest word on the rehab of this theatre?

Lauren Durbin
Lauren Durbin on September 17, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I was in San Angelo for business and happened to run into the San Angelo Paranormal Studies (SAPS) group that was about to go inside and they invited me along. I was pretty unprepared, but still got some neat shots. Its in pretty sad shape. The original owner gave us the tour and said the guy that was renovating it ran into legal/financial trouble. The inside was pretty wrecked by the renovator.

DonLewis
DonLewis on July 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm

A more recent view of the Texas Theater in San Angelo.

DonLewis
DonLewis on May 26, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Another view of San Angelo’s Texas Theater before the facade was changed.

DonLewis
DonLewis on May 26, 2009 at 5:23 pm

A view of the front of the Texas Theater in San Angelo, being used for car sales.

DonLewis
DonLewis on May 26, 2009 at 5:05 pm

A view from 1940 of theTexas Theater in San Angelo, Texas, making reference to the 1940’s polio epidemic.

AnthonyM
AnthonyM on January 29, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Hey Calc,
I just want to say Thank You for continuing with the restoration of the Texas Theater. I know that with these tough times its hard to get things done nowadays but with your love of theater, you proved that anything is possible. Thank You for bringing life back to downtown San Angelo and bringing back one of her children. If you ever need any help, ill be glad to lend a hand. Thanks Again!

DonLewis
DonLewis on April 8, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Views of the Texas Theater in San Angelo here and here taken in 1987.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 23, 2008 at 9:56 am

You’re right. I went through the photos, but I missed that one. Sorry about that.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 23, 2008 at 9:29 am

Here is a photo, pre-renovation. The posters are for Schindler’s List and Jurassic Park, so I assume the theater closed sometime around 1994:

AnthonyM
AnthonyM on August 22, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Well, another piece of good news here. I just ran into the official production company website for the man saving the Texas Theater. It says on there that the 1500 seat theater should be completed in time for the 2008/2009 season.

AnthonyM
AnthonyM on August 22, 2007 at 5:39 am

The newest article that was written said that Cal Collins, who bought the theater, says that “He did a lot more quicker and faster than he intended,” she said. “He had to back off.” So Cal Collins temporarily is producing plays in New Braunfels this summer. Work on the theater should begin by the end of summer. Heres the article. Its about halfway down.

DonLewis
DonLewis on August 21, 2007 at 11:35 pm

Yes Anthony thanks for the link which does work.

But what is going on with the TEXAS at the present. Did the buyer back out?

AnthonyM
AnthonyM on August 21, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Whew, it took awhile but I found it! sorry about the wait. I first off want to say thank you to the man in San Antonio that took the time and money to invest in this theater. I hope this link helps you guys in your quest to know more about the theater. (Let me know if this link worked for you guys or not. The link on the bottom right is the home page and will give you the in depth history of the theater and the link on the far right corner starts the slide show :)

Hope you enjoy the show! (Ill keep you guys posted when the Standard Times does anymore articles on the theater and let me know what you guys think of the current state of the theater in the slideshow :)

Texas Theater 75th Anniversary (2004)

DonLewis
DonLewis on August 21, 2007 at 2:54 pm

We will be waiting!!

AnthonyM
AnthonyM on August 20, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Hey guys, Ill be posting a weblink to a site that the San Angelo Standard Times did back in 2004 for the tribute of the 75th anniversary of the Texas Theater. It has an in depth history and several pics of the inside of the theater including: The main lobby, the infamous unopened safe, the deteriorating interior of the beautiful theater, the crumbling walls, torn up chairs, and pics of the still shining stars in the Texas Theater sky. It also has interviews with many of the former ushers and cameramen when the theater was still in service. As soon as I find the link, ill post for you guys. It was a great tribute!

writeonewritenow
writeonewritenow on July 11, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Here’s an old story about the Texas Theatre:

And here are some more photographs:

DonLewis
DonLewis on December 7, 2006 at 3:18 am

A photo of the TEXAS sent to me labled “Opening day 11-28-1929."
www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/316420791

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 5, 2006 at 7:04 am

Uh oh. www.texastheatre.net does not work. Has the renovation stalled?