Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

robboehm
robboehm on August 25, 2014 at 7:26 am

Regional demographics are a major influence and cannot be denied. If the product doesn’t appeal to the neighborhood, or if the neighborhood is not friendly to the exhibitor that’s it. Look at the CT stats. Only ¼ of the theaters are open, and not, necessarily showing movies. Why so few? TV and other options, the economy, the age factor and, demographics.

Ed Miller
Ed Miller on August 25, 2014 at 5:05 am

Comments about crime statistics in city neighborhoods seem to me to be not-so-subtle racist attacks, and really don’t belong on these message boards, which are devoted to movie palaces, and not the changes in regional demographics. I find the comments offensive. If you don’t feel safe in Brooklyn or the Bronx, stevebob, don’t go there, and post your comments someplace more appropriate. I used to live in Flatbush, and I walked through the entire area recently, and I’ve lived to talk about it.

Ed Miller
Ed Miller on August 25, 2014 at 4:58 am

I went to the Paradise a few weeks ago, while on a walking tour of the Concourse, photographing the Art Deco apartment buildings. I asked the woman who was sitting in the erstwhile boxoffice if I could go in and take some photos, and I got an abrupt “No”. I asked why, and her answer was, again abruptly, “Security reasons”. By this time, my New York blood was pumping, and I said to her, “You’re turning me away from the House of God?” The reply was “Uh-huh”. It got even worse later that day, when the super of one of the apartment buildings, who had all the earmarks of a major criminal, threw me out of the lobby. “Trespassing” he said in fractured English. Ah, the glory that WAS the Concourse! Things were VERY different when I went to the Valencia last fall. The pastor and members of the congregation were more than gracious, and I was let loose inside with my camera, without so much as an escort. Same thing when I went to what used to be Loew’s 46th Street, in Brooklyn. It’s now a furniture factory/showroom, but the theater is more or less intact. The owner let me roam around and take as many photos as I wanted, again without an escort.

stevebob
stevebob on July 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

Regarding the claim that Loew’s Kings “is by far a better location than the Paradise”, I would vigorously disagree. I don’t have crime statistics to compare directly Fordham to Flatbush, but I definitely know where I would feel safer – and it’s not Flatbush.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 19, 2014 at 6:50 pm

The guy running the church looks like a real piece of work:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Apparently now being used as a nightclub three nights a week:

GlenBarrie
GlenBarrie on August 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The Lowes Paradise was a magnificent theater, I have vivid memories of how beautiful the colored neon lights reflected on the Grand concourse on rainy days. Among the films I saw there were, “Papa’s Delicate Condition” with Jackie Gleason in 1963, and once when my parents were shopping they dropped me off on my own, to see the double feature, “The Fly” and “Space Master X-7” (1958)I was ten the time, Wow! I watched from the second balcony.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Can anyone go to church services at the Paradise? I would love to go there on a Sunday morning. I have been to 175th Loews and felt welcomed during a service. I would “close my eyes” and imagine I was there when it was a movie palace.

LuisV
LuisV on April 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Amen Bway! I’m an atheist so i don’t like churches but I don’t deny that they have saved a great many palaces; some better than others. Not all churches do a great job. Many have butchered the palaces they took over but I believe the majority have benefitted from their divine users. I wish them well.

Bway
Bway on March 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I never understand all the mocking that takes place in regard to the Loews Valencia. Sure, it would be nicer if it was a theater again, and it is “sad” that it’s a church instead of such, but this church has saved the Valencia. While yes, the colors they painted the interior are garish at best, what would you rather have, the interior gutted into a drug store or something instead? or worse, leveled? The Valencia is completely intact, maintained, and good shape. Who cares if the colors are garish….all that beautiful plasterwork could be gone instead, and prescriptions sold there instead.

Willburg145
Willburg145 on March 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Most people don’t want to go to the Bronx and there’s limited parking.

LuisV
LuisV on December 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Agreed Ed, the Loews 175th has been quite successful as a concert venue. It has been so for decades though it is not the primary purpose of the space. The Kings is by far a better location than the Paradise. I have no doubt that the Kings has a much better chance at success. In addition, the owners of the Paradise were terrible managers. The people in charge of the Kings are very experienced.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 4, 2012 at 5:15 am

Tinseltoes, the only advantage I would give to the Kings over the Paradise is that of location. While the Kings isn’t exactly in the prime downtown area, seems to me that Brooklyn on the whole has a better reputation as a destination for cultural activities than the Bronx. And this is not to denigrate the Bronx, which is the borough from which my parents and grandparents hail, but I just don’t think it has the same appeal as Brooklyn. And the United Palace is first and foremost a church. I think a deal was arranged for concerts there, primarily as a temporary replacement for the Beacon, while the latter was undergoing its extensive renovations. While sporadic bookings have continued, I don’t think it was ever seriously positioned as a competitor of the Beacon’s and other downtown venues.

LuisV
LuisV on December 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Though I despise churches, there are many examples where they prove to be great stewards of our glorious palaces. The Hollywood in midtown, the Loews 175th Street in Washington Heights and the Stanley in Jersey City but just a few excellent examples. That said, I am saddened that this theater is becoming a church. Of course, it is a successful church. They bought an old Christ Scientist church on W. 96th and Central Park West that was also a landmark and have respected that architecture. This particular church worships money so in theory they will not skimp on their infrastructure. They need to project affluence to get it.

stang119
stang119 on December 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Uh oh! According to today’s Daily News (12-2-12) the Paradise has been leased to The World Changers Church of New York. At least it’s a televangelist church so us theatre lovers can get glimpses of this majestic house on TV. Here is a link to the article: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/world-changers-church-new-york-occupy-paradise-article-1.1211185

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

A fire apparently started by welding going on at the Paradise on November caused at least some smoke damage. View article

DavePrice
DavePrice on August 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Can anyone tell me if the Paradise still had vaudeville acts between the pictures in 1947?

TLSLOEWS- good to see you so far from Nashville.

Thanks-

stang119
stang119 on April 2, 2012 at 5:48 am

OMG! I actually have a copy of this LIFE magazine! Thanks for the reminder.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Link to Life Magazine, then scroll through to pages 57, etc. There are a lot of other interesting articles in this special nostalgia issue. (Just close the pop-up offer to join.)

Astyanax
Astyanax on August 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Since I don’t get into the Bronx often was curious how often this venue was in use.

MorganT
MorganT on May 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Im a student at Lehman College and i have to do an assignment on the paradise theater, i want to just ask a few questions about your experience with the theater.

You will be helping me out tremendously and we can communicate through email or whatever you feel comfortable with.

you can email me at
if you would like to participate and it will only take 2 minutes of your time

Lenox
Lenox on April 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

In 1964 my then girlfriend Joan Clarke and I spent our very first date at this theatre .

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

Nice video link Tinseltoes Thanks.

stang119
stang119 on August 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Great photos. Now if only more events were scheduled there.