Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

stevebob
stevebob on July 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

Regarding the claim that Loew’s Kings “is by far a better location than the Paradise”, I would vigorously disagree. I don’t have crime statistics to compare directly Fordham to Flatbush, but I definitely know where I would feel safer – and it’s not Flatbush.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 19, 2014 at 6:50 pm

The guy running the church looks like a real piece of work:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Apparently now being used as a nightclub three nights a week:

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 2, 2013 at 7:44 am

Did you happen to see “Papa’s Delicate Condition” prior to release in its “sneak preview” at Loew’s Paradise? Paramount Pictures held the screening for the executive staff at Radio City Music Hall, but they weren’t impressed enough to book the movie. The NYC premiere engagement opened on March 6th, 1963, at the Paramount Theatre and the Trans-Lux 52nd Street, when the city was still in the grip of the longest newspaper strike in its history.

GlenBarrie
GlenBarrie on August 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The Lowes Paradise was a magnificent theater, I have vivid memories of how beautiful the colored neon lights reflected on the Grand concourse on rainy days. Among the films I saw there were, “Papa’s Delicate Condition” with Jackie Gleason in 1963, and once when my parents were shopping they dropped me off on my own, to see the double feature, “The Fly” and “Space Master X-7” (1958)I was ten the time, Wow! I watched from the second balcony.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 2, 2013 at 6:27 am

As at churches everywhere, I’m sure that you would be welcome at any of the services held at Loew’s Paradise.

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Can anyone go to church services at the Paradise? I would love to go there on a Sunday morning. I have been to 175th Loews and felt welcomed during a service. I would “close my eyes” and imagine I was there when it was a movie palace.

LuisV
LuisV on April 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Amen Bway! I’m an atheist so i don’t like churches but I don’t deny that they have saved a great many palaces; some better than others. Not all churches do a great job. Many have butchered the palaces they took over but I believe the majority have benefitted from their divine users. I wish them well.

Bway
Bway on March 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I never understand all the mocking that takes place in regard to the Loews Valencia. Sure, it would be nicer if it was a theater again, and it is “sad” that it’s a church instead of such, but this church has saved the Valencia. While yes, the colors they painted the interior are garish at best, what would you rather have, the interior gutted into a drug store or something instead? or worse, leveled? The Valencia is completely intact, maintained, and good shape. Who cares if the colors are garish….all that beautiful plasterwork could be gone instead, and prescriptions sold there instead.

Willburg145
Willburg145 on March 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Most people don’t want to go to the Bronx and there’s limited parking.

LuisV
LuisV on December 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Agreed Ed, the Loews 175th has been quite successful as a concert venue. It has been so for decades though it is not the primary purpose of the space. The Kings is by far a better location than the Paradise. I have no doubt that the Kings has a much better chance at success. In addition, the owners of the Paradise were terrible managers. The people in charge of the Kings are very experienced.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 4, 2012 at 5:15 am

Tinseltoes, the only advantage I would give to the Kings over the Paradise is that of location. While the Kings isn’t exactly in the prime downtown area, seems to me that Brooklyn on the whole has a better reputation as a destination for cultural activities than the Bronx. And this is not to denigrate the Bronx, which is the borough from which my parents and grandparents hail, but I just don’t think it has the same appeal as Brooklyn. And the United Palace is first and foremost a church. I think a deal was arranged for concerts there, primarily as a temporary replacement for the Beacon, while the latter was undergoing its extensive renovations. While sporadic bookings have continued, I don’t think it was ever seriously positioned as a competitor of the Beacon’s and other downtown venues.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Is this a “done deal” or just gossip? In any case, it doesn’t augur well for the proposed rejuvenation of Loew’s Kings, since it’s an open confession that the Paradise couldn’t be run successfully as a performing arts center. I also haven’t seen any evidence that the ex-Loew’s 175th Street has been successful as the United Palace concert venue.

LuisV
LuisV on December 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Though I despise churches, there are many examples where they prove to be great stewards of our glorious palaces. The Hollywood in midtown, the Loews 175th Street in Washington Heights and the Stanley in Jersey City but just a few excellent examples. That said, I am saddened that this theater is becoming a church. Of course, it is a successful church. They bought an old Christ Scientist church on W. 96th and Central Park West that was also a landmark and have respected that architecture. This particular church worships money so in theory they will not skimp on their infrastructure. They need to project affluence to get it.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Let’s pray that if this takes place, the lease requires that the Church must refrain from undoing the magnificient, mult-million dollar effort that restored the Paradise to much of its original grandeur. Don’t let them “screw it up” like the Church that made a mockery of the original Loew’s Valencia in Jamaica, Queens.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Here’s an active link to the Daily News article: nydailynews

stang119
stang119 on December 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Uh oh! According to today’s Daily News (12-2-12) the Paradise has been leased to The World Changers Church of New York. At least it’s a televangelist church so us theatre lovers can get glimpses of this majestic house on TV. Here is a link to the article: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/world-changers-church-new-york-occupy-paradise-article-1.1211185

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

A fire apparently started by welding going on at the Paradise on November caused at least some smoke damage. View article

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 10, 2012 at 6:25 am

The Paradise is pictured in 2nd position in this New York Times slide show about the Fordham Road area of the Bronx: nytimes

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Loew’s Paradise dropped vaudeville in 1935, along with other key Loew’s neighborhood houses theat were still presenting it. All switched to double features. At the same time, stage shows were also dropped at the Capitol Theatre on Broadway (Loew’s ran the house, but did not have its name attached). Loew’s State in Times Square was the only Loew’s in the Greater New York area which continued with a film/vaude policy (ending in 1947).

DavePrice
DavePrice on August 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Can anyone tell me if the Paradise still had vaudeville acts between the pictures in 1947?

TLSLOEWS- good to see you so far from Nashville.

Thanks-

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 14, 2012 at 10:46 am

Here’s a 1940 exterior photo from the Municipal Archives: lunaimaging

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

The Paradise has added a seating plan to its UPDATED website. The venue also seems to be expanding its non-entertaiment facilities: paradisetheater

stang119
stang119 on April 2, 2012 at 5:48 am

OMG! I actually have a copy of this LIFE magazine! Thanks for the reminder.