Cooper Theatre

5755 Wayzata Boulevard,
St. Louis Park, MN 55416

Denvercary
Denvercary on March 23, 2014 at 1:38 am

I have three Cinerama projectors and a Cinerama sound reproducer like the ones that were installed at the three Cooper Cinerama Theaters during the three-strip Cinerama days. If anybody would like to see them, please contact me at . I would be happy to show them to you. Or, I’ll be happy to send photographs to you.

Redwards1
Redwards1 on March 9, 2014 at 3:25 am

This was the best Cinerama installation in America. The screen was gigantic, the projection & sound superb. I recently attended the Cinerama Festival in Los Angeles at the Cinerama Dome and it did not come close to the thrill of seeing & hearing Cinerama at the Cooper. Ironic the Minneapolis Tribune celebrated the opening of the Cooper as the successor to the Radio City movie palace downtown & they have both met the wrecking ball.

Jesse Hoheisel
Jesse Hoheisel on June 17, 2013 at 6:21 am

I just posted a write up about the Cooper on my website. Let me know what you think. http://wp.me/p20gfX-15z

NERVA
NERVA on November 29, 2012 at 3:49 am

I saw Bladerunner (the original cut) at Indian Hills in Omaha in 1982. 10 years later… I saw Bladerunner (The Director’s Cut) at the Cooper Theater in Denver. Glad I was able to see those films in those beautiful movie theaters.

Flatnate
Flatnate on December 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I was excited to see that the Cooper was included in a segment produced by Twin Cities Public Television for the Lost Twin Cities III special. It was really well done with lots of pictures and information. Covered everything from the premiere with the Brothers Grimm, to the long run of How the West was Won, Airport and its end with Dances With Wolves. Definitely worth checking out for any Cooper or Cinerama fans. Would love to find a way to put some screen caps up on the site here (although I’m not sure if that is allowed, and I’m not sure if many of the pics were the St. Louis Park Cooper or ones taken from Indian Hills or Denver).

DTSguy
DTSguy on August 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Great theater we saw “Abyss”, “Hunt/Red October”, “Godfather 3”, and even “Ten Commandments” in….

javalynx
javalynx on April 12, 2011 at 2:37 am

I have recently acquired what have been alleged to be seats #103 and #104 from the MN Cooper Theatre. If anyone has any pictures of the seats from the theatre or can validate they are authentic, I would be very interested in knowing for sure.

corym1
corym1 on February 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I have an original “Price and Performance schedule” for the movie “Khartoum” 1966. It looks like a small version of the Movie poster on one side and price and show times with the address on the other. This is for the Cooper theatre in MN.
Any interest?

nomoresoco
nomoresoco on January 25, 2011 at 1:49 am

How about a model of the Cooper made of Legos just like this church photo: View link I might have trouble finding lego pieces that are orange in color.

Lanea
Lanea on January 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm

One of the pictures links previous was an exterior shot of the cooper with “The Mission” on the sign. Seeing that movie at the cooper was the first date my wife and I went on. I wanted to impress her by going to the classiest place i knew. I remember being disappointed the theater was so run down. We had to pick and choose to find 2 seats together where the springs hadn’t worn through. You could see how nice the place had been but it was worn out. My first memory of the cooper was the movie Airport. I was nice how they redid the lobby to fit with the theme of the movie being played. I will miss the place.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Gail, I got the same feeling watching 2001 at my favorite theatre in 70mm,National Hills theatre.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on June 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Nice looking theatre too bad it it gone now.

GailMarie
GailMarie on June 18, 2010 at 8:30 am

I saw “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” and “How The West Was Won” at the Cooper when I was seven. I remember that in its early days, the theatre had reserved seating (hence the sign mentioned in an earlier post). But the movie I really remember was “2001: A Space Odyssey.” You almost felt as if you were falling into the screen during the space station docking sequence.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 18, 2010 at 3:30 am

What great stories to read. don’t ever forget the Cooper Theatre those of you that were lucky enough to catch a movie there.

mntwister
mntwister on May 18, 2010 at 8:56 am

MJV, I would like to contact you. My name is Rob from Eveleth, MN and I met you at John Novak’s funeral, I was his very good friend from northern MN who made the collage with the theaters and posters My email is Please forgive this interruption to this thread.

It’s funny you mention the Brookdale equipment because John had showed me through the Brookdale and we went to see Tron there, I always liked the theater but he said the sound system was not very good, though it sounded “not bad” to me. But we all know how he knew sound. John and I went to many movies together at the Cooper. I’ll never forget the opening of Star Trek 2 Khan, and the dozens of other untul it closed.

MJV
MJV on February 4, 2010 at 3:28 am

I wanted to comment on the gentleman regardng the Cooper showing Todd AO. I worked the Cooper as projectionist from 1980 to 1990. I had the pleasure of showing the release of Oklahoma! in 1984. We knew the 70mm print would come in at 30 frames per second. The Cooper was equiped with the Century JJ II 35-70 set up. To convert to the 30 frames per second speed, all I had to do was move the motor to projecter drive belt to the outer set of pullies. It was very easy. The film ran fine with no problem, but it was very noisy! As an aside, at the end of our run, the Oklahoma! print was sent up the road to Plitt Brookdale. The Brookdale had Century 35-70 machines, but those machines did not have the double pulley drive set up. We ended up taking the motors and pullies off the Cooper equipment and swaping them with the Brookdale machines! I did get to work an Oklahoma! shift at Brookdale and those Century machines worked well. MJV

mheaton
mheaton on August 17, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I have several pages of the original blueprints of the Cooper Theater. they came from the Library in Denver under the collection of the architect. Very Interesting, indeed.

robb21572
robb21572 on July 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I remember seeing the first Star Trek movie, my dad fell asleep during it. Also took a girlfriend to the Abyss, and saw, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Shortly before demolition, a friend and I snuck in through the front door, which was left wide open, with a camera for our local TV access show, and filmed the interiors. The auditorium shots are a bit dark. On the tape as I was filming the concession stand in the lobby moving toward the door to leave, a guy doing something behind the counter saw us and got pissed we had come in there, and said something to us about getting out! I still have the footage somewhere and have not seen it since 1992 when I edited a small section together to run credits over the footage. I see from online that any pictures, or video, of these lost theaters is a rarity. I thought this theater was the best one ever built for movies! Shame it is gone! :(

pjacobs
pjacobs on April 8, 2009 at 11:35 am

The Cooper ! Reading all the great memories brings back my own ! I know I saw many movies at The Cooper, but the only movie memory I have is seeing “Pippy Long Stocking” probably in the late 70’s when I was in my very early teens. I also remember the smoking area that was mentioned, the cages that were higher than the actual seats that had the ceiling “smoke sucking” fans.
What great times those were !

WhiteStar
WhiteStar on March 8, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I worked at the Cooper in the 70’s. Here’s the history of the Cooper Foundation. www.cooperfoundation.org/cooper_theatres.html

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 1, 2009 at 1:17 am

The Office Depot that replaced the Cooper is up for sale. Here is an aerial view of the current location:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 1, 2009 at 1:14 am

This article was in Boxoffice magazine in August 1962:

MINNEAPOLIS-The first completely new theater to be beuilt here in 11 years, the Cooper, showplace of Cinerama, was opened to the public August 9 with “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” following a series of international premieres. The Cooper is an exact replica of the original built in Denver, which was designed specifically for Cinerama.

A walnut-paneled foyer of 3,000 square feet is decorated in black brick with bittersweet (burnt orange) upholstery fabric and a skyblue acoustic plaster ceiling. A circle pattern is also carried out in the carpeting.

Total seating in the theater, which cost $1,000,000, is 808, 146 of which are on the mezzanine. The screen is the largest ever installed-35 feet high with a 105-foot-wide side curve. The screen end of the theater is about a third of the total circumference of the circle, so that a full 180-degree picture could be shown if it ever were produced.

Senator and Mrs. Hubert Humphrey and trustees of the Cooper Foundation of Lincoln, Neb. entertained at a dinner on the 8th at the Radisson Hotel, and were hosts at the grand opening of the theater that night.

zimmee66
zimmee66 on January 16, 2009 at 12:31 am

Great theater! When I was about 17, a friend and I decided to see “the Killing Fields”. No car, so we rode the bus from campus. It was a long ride, with many transfers. This was January 19, 1985. It was a HIGH of -9, and a low of -25 that day. I remember the bus driver pitied us and detoured a bit from her route to drop us closer. The movie was great, if distressing. On the way back, I watched my friends nose turn blue, and when I told him—he stepped behind the bus sign pole. Needless to say, it was not helpful. Good times!

cdwickha
cdwickha on December 31, 2008 at 2:11 am

I still love that place, even though I haven’t lived in Minnesota in 17 yrs. I remember my senior year at Wayzata and my bro getting a special preview pass to see Rocky V. The movie was very weak but that place rocked. Here is a something I cam across in the Trib.
The Terrace theater was also a great place for a young stud to take a date.

April 24, 2008

The site of the Cooper Theatre now is occupied by an off-ramp for Interstate 394, but a new theater complex is about to be built close by.

Developers of the West End, a $400 million mixed-use project under construction at I-394 and Hwy. 100 in St. Louis Park, said Thursday that Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres has agreed to operate a 14-screen theater at the development.

The theater complex will occupy about 57,000 of 350,000 square feet of retail space planned for the project, being developed by Indianapolis-based Duke Realty Corp. The project also includes 1.1 million square feet of office space and an upscale hotel geared to business travelers.

The theater and the rest of the retail portion, which is being co-developed by Duke and Cincinnati-based Jeffrey R. Anderson Real Estate Inc., is expected to be completed by September 2009.

Landing a theater was a top priority, according to Pat Mascia, senior vice president for Duke’s Twin Cities offices. Part of the reason is a movie theater’s ability to draw traffic for restaurants, shops and other retail tenants, he said.
“A movie theater complements the rest of the retail and makes it a more complete entertainment and shopping development,” Mascia said. No other retail tenants have been announced, but plans call for a specialty grocer and upscale stores and restaurants, he said.

St. Louis Park residents who went to public meetings when developers presented plans to the city also expressed a desire for a movie theater and evoked fond memories of the Cooper. Built in 1962, the Cooper and its 105-foot-long curved screen drew moviegoers from all over the Twin Cities area. It was demolished about 17 years ago when Hwy. 12 was turned into I-394.

Kerasotes is planning a state-of-the-art complex for the West End project, according to Bob Gallivan, director of real estate for the Chicago-based chain. The 14 theaters will range in size from 112 to 425 seats, and all will be digital, he said. Two of the larger theaters will have separate premium-seating areas that will be available for customers 21 and older.

The theaters will be designed to be used for events other than movies, including plays and concerts, he said.

The new St. Louis Park complex will be the fourth Twin Cities-area location for Kerasotes. It also has complexes in Coon Rapids and Inver Grove Heights and last year acquired the Block E Stadium 15 in downtown Minneapolis.

Susan Feyder • 612-673-1723

crooner15
crooner15 on September 9, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Fantastic memories of the Cooper, it was a real event to go there for a movie. I can remember “How the West Was Won” played there for 88 weeks when it came out. The Cooper was the only theater around with Cinerama. In the 70s I remember seeing “A Bridge To Far” and the 80s I drove through a blinding snowstorm to see “Reds”. The Cooper always had exclusives.