El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on April 14, 2005 at 7:35 pm

The Theatre Historical Society of America will be visiting this theatre on June 22, 2005.

unihikid
unihikid on April 6, 2005 at 8:29 pm

the old el capitan is known as the palace if that helps.i worked for pacific theatres “the grove” from 01 to 03,and they own the el capitan consession stand which i think is odd.after every two hours the whole staff gathers around and they read the “numbers” and they always take the count for the el capitans numbers.this may have been changed since the arclight is closer and is also owned by pacific.

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 10, 2005 at 9:22 pm

Sorry, one correction… the Montalban Theater was a movie house in the early 1930s, not 20s.

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 10, 2005 at 9:21 pm

The “other” El Capitan no longer goes by that name. The original El Capitan above was built in 1927 as a live theater. A few years before, the “Hollywood Playhouse” opened on Vine Street also as a live theater (it has always remained a live theater to this day). When the original El Capitan above became a movie palace instead of a live theater, (the late 1930s, if memory serves me) it was renamed the PARAMOUNT. It was around that time the Hollywood Playhouse on Vine Street became the new El Capitan.

Sometime in the 1940s, the Vine Street El Capitan’s name was taken back to be the “Hollywood Playhouse” and has remained that name ever since (except in the 1960s, when it was known as the “Hollywood Palace” because of the TV show which was broadcast from there).

The original El Capitan was renamed it’s original name by Disney when they bought it a few years back. This grand theater was mainly purchased as a venue for DISNEY premiers, which are a regular event these days. The theater is restored and glorious. There are some live events there, some are in conjunction with the films shown there, I am told. Check to see with the theater to be sure.

So when you visit, there will only be ONE El Capitan…. the original. The Hollywood Playhouse on Vine street is mainly for live popular music acts, from what I understand. Fortunately, it has remained largely intact over the decades, although showing it’s age. Neither of these theaters is to be mistaken for the Ricardo Montalban Theater (which they often are) on Vine Steet one block to the south. That was a movie theater in the 1920s, and so it has a link here on cinema treasures at /theaters/9863/

Here is a photo of the El Capitan theater (above) when it was brand new in 1927… notice the Roosevelt Hotel, where the first oscar ceremony took place, under construction a block further……

Here is a photo of the Hollywood Playhouse, which for a while was called the El Capitan (I believe the 1930s)… but today is a live music venue….

This is as much as I know. Hope it solves the confusion. Perhaps someone can go into greater detail on these 2 great theaters? Both have a great history.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on January 10, 2005 at 7:35 pm

Maybe I should explain. I heard the El Capitan has stage shows much like they once did at Radio City Music Hall in New York, near where I live. This would be a great return to the past. I plan to visit the LA Area in late March, and want to see a movie at one of these picture palaces.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on January 10, 2005 at 7:32 pm

Does the El Capitan have many stage shows?

William
William on January 10, 2005 at 12:24 pm

The other El Capitian Theatre is located at 1735 North Vine Street, almost across the street Capitol Records building.

Englewood
Englewood on January 10, 2005 at 11:13 am

In an earlier posting here, Oct. 19, 2003, there is mention of another El Capitan theater. It was also used as a television studio. Where was it? In one of those El Capitans, Richard Nixon delivered his famous “Checkers Speech.” Which one, and where?

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 1, 2005 at 7:00 pm

I was raised in Hollywood in the 1950s and the El Capitan was called “The Paramount” in those days. There was a huge marquee over the entrance, and I found a photo of it as it looked then…..

Patsy
Patsy on December 22, 2004 at 11:48 am

I just spoke with a friend who told me about this theatre so I then looked here and found it! Great find!

Bway
Bway on December 17, 2004 at 4:44 am

It’s a paradox. Although I did have comments in this theater thread before this, if you repied to any of the “poll” threads, you will get “just responded emails” to the corresponding theater with the same number. For example, if you participated in one of the polls that havd “17” at the end of it’s URL, you will get the responses from the theater with “17” on it’s URL, which happens to be the El Capitan theater.
I first noticed this happening with the Zeigfeld in Manhattan. Rigth after I responded to one of the poll threads that had “12” in it’s URL, I got “someone just responded to” emails for the Zeigfeld which has “12” in it’s URL.
It’s a glitch in the website code I guess.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 16, 2004 at 9:04 pm

Okay, I noticed a few names that are in the Loew’s Kings Message Board. I just figured that the people who don’t know about it, and helped with the restoration of the Cl Capitan, which I think I may have heard the name of, could help us. Furthermore, 3,000 miles is too far for competition between the theaters (file that under obvious to all).

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 16, 2004 at 9:00 pm

I don’t know how I am getting replies for a comment I never made, but maybe you Californians can help me anyway. Maybe if some of you could go to the Cinema Treasures page on the Loew’s Kings. We are trying to restore this Brooklyn, NY, landmark. If some of you could give some suggestions so that the theater could be restored like the El Capitan.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 16, 2004 at 9:28 am

Some of us old hippies remember the Earl Carroll Theater as The Aquarius where “Hair” opened. It is now the home of some Nickelodeon Channel productions.

William
William on December 15, 2004 at 7:57 am

The building next door to the El Captian Theatre is the former Masonic Temple in Hollywood.

And the theatre that Fox converted was the former Earl Carroll Theatre on Sunset Blvd., which Viacom uses for one of their children shows as a stage.

br91975
br91975 on December 15, 2004 at 7:22 am

Does anyone remember what theatre it was Fox bought and converted into the studio for ‘The Chevy Chase Show’ (which was on the air for about as long as it’s taking me to type these words in the fall of ‘93)?

Bway
Bway on December 14, 2004 at 7:02 pm

The building to the right of the El Capitan that now is the studio fo Jimmy Kimmel Live, appears to have been a bank at one time, but I am not sure.

br91975
br91975 on December 14, 2004 at 5:23 pm

What did the building located to the right of the El Capitan house, prior to serving currently as the studio from which ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ is broadcast and, previous to that, display space for interactive exhibits tied into films being shown next door?

RobertR
RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 7:15 am

I still don’t know why Disney does not try this policy in New York.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 14, 2004 at 7:09 am

Yes, I worded my previous post poorly. There was a “generic” show but not specifically tied to the movie being shown. However, that $15 price is to sit on the sides both on the floor and in the balcony only. To sit in the center section on either level is a whopping $24.00!! On holidays, such as Christmas, the $24.00 price is expanded to include the entire front of the balcony. Child and Senior prices apply to the sides only, all ages pay full price in the center. When “Pirates of the Caribbean-Curse of the Black Pearl” returns in January expect to pay $19.00 for the center sections. I do not know if a show comes with that one.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on December 13, 2004 at 11:06 pm

At Loews we had a ‘Code of Conduct’ poster that was posted near the entrance and ticket taker, but we only put it up when we had a picture that attracted a particularly raucus crowd.

JakeM
JakeM on December 13, 2004 at 9:02 pm

No, I think what Manwithnoname means is that the live show that precedes the movie is a generic “Disney” one, that is not related to The Incredibles. The ticket for a movie alone is $11 (i think) which is the same as the regular price ticket at the Chinese.

RobertR
RobertR on December 13, 2004 at 7:39 pm

Wow they get $15 for the movie alone?