AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 9, 2008 at 3:54 pm

perhaps you could tell the rest of us what TDK is?

William
William on July 9, 2008 at 3:34 pm

It looks like regular admission for “TDK” is $12 and for IMAX it’s $16. It also looks like the first few days of it in IMAX are already SOLD OUT at this theatre.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 9, 2008 at 2:51 pm

BTW, how are ticket sales for TDK? I’d like to see this movie at this theater, which I haven’t been to in nearly 10 years!!! Have they changed anything at the IMAX part of the theater since I last visited, which was back in 2000? Pretty soon that IMAX theater will show no more film!!!

segask
segask on June 27, 2008 at 12:12 am

thanks for the photo Warren. I live in southern CA, and have never been to NYC. If I ever do visit, I would go see the Ziegfeld, Lincoln Square, and Empire 25 in addition to all the other standard tourist stuff that people do in their first visit.

What about any of you folks who have never been to LA? Would seeing a movie at the Chinese, the Dome, the El Capitan, etc. be at the top of your to do list along with Disneyland and all the other standard tourist stuff?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 26, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Warren’s photo is that of the Loews auditorium,towards the screen. I’ve seen movies there.

segask
segask on June 26, 2008 at 12:51 am

does anyone have any pics of the Loews auditorium? I’ve seen a pic of the screen with the proscenium. I’d like to see a pic taken from in front of the first row of the main floor, looking back at the entire seating area including the balcony.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on June 1, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I’d say their IMAX screen still rakes in a lot of dough.

edblank
edblank on June 1, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Anyone know where Lincoln Square 13 ranks now in terms of total annual revenue and/or the highest revenue per screen average?

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on February 26, 2008 at 8:11 pm

A number of the films mentioned above (Showtime, Insomnia, Men In Black II, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Signs, The Lord Of The Rings sequels, Gangs Of New York, the Kill Bill films, Van Helsing, Team America: World Police, Star Wars Episode III and the first Transformers run) were of 35mm prints projected on the IMAX screen. Another film that could be included is Everyone Says I Love You, which played a midnight show on the IMAX screen during its Oscar run beginning on December 6th, 1996.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 10, 2008 at 2:48 pm

The U2 movie is also being shown in digital 3d as well. Too bad Hannah Montana is not playing at this theater. When the IMAX theater was in its first years, I remember seeing a short policy film called “Mr. Big Screen” which showed a guy trying to opening up the big screen, which ends with a nice fly-by view of New York City. Before the film began, they had some usher announcing the film and what do to following a light show. To this day, has the IMAX part of the theater gained more popularity than the rest of the theater? It’s the only one with stadium seating.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on February 3, 2008 at 9:58 am

A list of films that were shown in IMAX at the Lincoln Square from 2002 to today.

1/1/02- Beauty and the Beast: The IMAX Experience
9/21/07- Transformers: The IMAX Experience
11/16/07- Beowulf: The IMAX 3D Experience
12/14/07- I Am Legend: The IMAX Experience
1/23/08- U2 3D: The IMAX Experience

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 13, 2007 at 3:14 pm

When Beowulf opens, will it be shown in digital 3d alongside the Imax 3d and 35mm? I checked the advance listing and it only showed 35mm and IMAX 3D for the two screens.

BobT
BobT on September 24, 2007 at 10:20 pm

When “T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous” played upstairs, it had the best ballyhoo/promotional display I ever saw. It was a full size T-Rex head, attached to the front of the complex wall on Broadway, up high with broken bricks around the neck that made it look like it had crashed thru the wall. It was neat.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 24, 2007 at 10:19 pm

According to the intro, the Loews Auditorium here supports 70mm projection. I wonder if this is still the case and if so, do they run exclusively platter or do they have changeover capabilities for 70mm? I’d sure love to see AMC utilize the house in slower periods for 70mm revival if that’s possible.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 24, 2007 at 10:16 pm

Have they changed the name of the individual auditoriums since the AMC takeover? The premier auditorium with the balcony and huge screen was named the “Loews Auditorium.” I imagine since AMC owns the name Loews now that there’d be no reason to change anything. This might be my favorite room in NYC to see a movie. Even better than the Ziegfeld, in my opinion. This has always been a top-notch multiplex.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 24, 2007 at 6:56 pm

The name of the movie was called “T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous”. I saw a preview for the movie while at the Sony/Loews in Wayne, which was owned by the same chain that owned the Loews/Imax theater in NYC. BTW, which Imax screen is better, the Loews Imax at Palisades Center or the one at the big apple. For me, I prefer the one on the west side. The screen is larger than the one at the Museum of Natural History (called NatureMax) which was the first IMAX theater in NYC. The Imax theater at LSC (called Omnimax) is ok and gets you immersed into the movie but the screen is too squeezed for the film.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on September 24, 2007 at 6:45 pm

I know I posted a comment about this a few years ago, but I’ll repost it again.

My first experience with the IMAX 3D was with this dinosaur film back in 1997. There was a brief intro about the special glasses that are cleaned their in house. The film, itself, reminded me a little of Jurassic Park, of course, but I don’t recall that it was a dino chaser-type of movie. I believe it was more of a National Geographic-type historical look at them in the museum and back in the day.

The next time I was here was to see later that year (or was it ‘98) to watch “Meet Joe Black” which we were late to see because we could not decide what to see. Trivial, yes, but what I do remember of that showing was that we got split up and I had to sit by myself way in the front next to two guys making out with a rose stem sticking out of the cup holder next to me.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 24, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Just like the Ziegfeld.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 24, 2007 at 3:04 pm

when built, the screen in the main auditorium, the Loews, was huge, 65 feet wide, 26 feet high. The curtain rose & lowered. They should use the curtain.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 24, 2007 at 2:53 pm

900 seats, I think. Do they still do the lights and sound show before the showing of an IMAX movie? That was awesome, and after that, one of the ushers came up and announced how the 3D works. When Beowulf opens at this theater, will the theater show it in digital and IMAX 3d? That would be awesome and I could see the grosses of this theater, home to some high profile premieres. Do they still have the posters along the long escalator leading up to the IMAX theater from Columbia Pictures, or has that been removed since the Loews Cineplex takeover and then the AMC merger?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 24, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Too bad about the curtain in “Loews.” How many seats in that room?

ErikH
ErikH on September 24, 2007 at 12:47 pm

There have been a few changes to the main auditorium since that photo (attached to the entry dated May 14) was taken in 2004. I have been to the main auditorium twice recently to attend screenings of “The Bourne Ultimatum” and “Superbad.” On the positive side: new seating has been installed. On the negative side: no curtain (which of course means that the brief sound and light show that accompanied the rising curtain has been discontinued).

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 24, 2007 at 11:58 am

And this is now an AMC house and that’s how this should be listed.

The one thing I don’t like about this plasce is the three theatres in the basement, which makes sneaking into them very difficult.
But the upstairs is fantastic and one you’re in the door you can go anywhere you like. Usually.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 24, 2007 at 11:22 am

The photo linked above on May 14 is of the premiere auditorium mentioned in the intro.

BobT
BobT on September 24, 2007 at 11:14 am

Returned to my old neighborhood hangout this weekend to see a very crowded 4:00 showing of an exclusive engagement of “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” Starring Brad Pitt. It was nice to see the complex, now in AMC’s hands in good condition. While the film just might possibly be the slowest moving picture I’ve ever seen in all my movie going life, the cinematography is Oscar worthy and the projection was so crystal clear I actually thought it was digital projection for while. That is until I saw cigarettes burns at a reel change and boy I haven’t noticed those in a film in while. The theater though not stadium, was pitched and at two hours and forty minutes and fifteen minutes of trailers it was very comfortable.