Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 21, 2006 at 3:36 pm

Yeah, I’d have to say that really stinks. I think I would have rather had a grid. They could have turned it into a trellace and hung fake foliage from it. LOL.

Don’t know enough to say whether or not the vents are needed in that configuration.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 12:57 pm

That is unfortunate. But I prefer a hole in the ceiling and a few ducts to the four-plex that previously existed. Sounds like they should paint it blue. Cannot think of a reason why it must be white.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 20, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I just realized that the online photo is cropped more severely than the image that went to print, so you can’t make out the recess to which I was referring. For those without the benefit of a printed edition, the cieling recess runs parallel to the stage and directly overhead of mid-center orchestra and it is painted completely white.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 20, 2006 at 9:47 am

I saw the article yesterday as well. Too bad they had to cut that long recessed notch across the atmospheric ceiling. I assume that is for lighting? I also suppose that the notch is preferable to bolting a rig in place to hang from the cieling. I wonder if painting the recess the same shade of blue as the rest of the cieling would improve the look. In any event, it is nice to read how nicely the theater is doing. I also enjoyed the quotes and passages about Eberson discussing how he drew inspiration from the warm Floridian evenings he enjoyed while vacationing south for the winter.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 8:52 am

Sweet! That is the first decent view I have seen of the auditorium.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 13, 2006 at 4:40 pm

These guys at the Paradise don’t seem to be doing half-bad! It is heart-warming to see.

rabbitlaz on October 1, 2006 at 5:44 pm

Im glad you enjoyed the show, rlvjr. I attended a similiar show there back in February and had a nice time as well. That show lasted 3 ½ hours. It’s a real pleasure seeing people once again, enjoy this real treasure of a theatre.

rlvjr on October 1, 2006 at 5:27 pm

I returned to Loew’s PARADISE last night for the 9/30/06 Night in Paradise show. It had been 55 years since I’d last been there. Some of the theatre’s wonderful features are gone, but most remain; and the theatre is still magnificent.
We could not believe the Night in Paradise show lasted for 5 ¼ hours, starting just after 8 pm and ending at 1:18 am. A good show except for the excess of amplification (common at most music shows in 2006). Most of these now-elderly Black groups had (and still have) real talent; but truly talented entertainers do not need excessive volume to wow an audience.
A great big thank you to Orlando Lopes of the Theatre Historical Society, and many others, working to save this wonderful landmark; perhaps a small start to making the Bronx a better place.
Based on an average ticket price of $65, and with virtually all of the 3885 seats filled, I’d guess the show grossed $175,000 to $200,000. That compares to a flat zero if the theatre had remained shuttered. Of greater importance was the good time had by all.
I won’t soon return there, however. The 260 mile commute in each direction was a special occasion —– well worth the trouble —– not easily repeated (unless the show’s real good).

njmoviefan on September 29, 2006 at 5:04 am

I guess the September movie is not happening. :( Should we hope for October?

electricspike on September 28, 2006 at 5:48 am

Thanks Ziggy and Jim. I will definitely try those avenues first.

JimRankin on September 27, 2006 at 11:22 am

Yes, by all means, approach the current owners of the theatre first, but if they decline you would do best to approach first The Theatre Historical Soc. of America preferably with good snap shots at their address give on the first page of their web site: www.historictheatres.org If they express no interest, The League of Historic American Theatres might through their site: www.lhat.org

Both of these groups have means by which they might sell them for you on a consignment basis, should they not be able to afford them.

Please contact them BEFORE you go to such as E-bay where speculators will snap them up to resell at outrageous prices to the wealthy who care nothing about history, but only want what they think of as “kitsch.”

Ziggy on September 27, 2006 at 10:36 am

Hi Manfred. Why don’t you approach the theatre owners? They’d most likely by thrilled to have a chance to get some original fixtures back again.

electricspike on September 27, 2006 at 7:04 am

Many years ago I was involved in the renovation(electrical portion) of this beautiful theater when it was being split into smaller theaters (what a crime). I was able to retain some of the old light fixtures from the original theater. Some are solid brass (Exit sign, balcony sign)and some are wrought iron (main theater side aisle ceiling lights). Now I am seriously low on space to keep them and must sell them. If anyone is interested in these treasures of the past please contact me at , so we can talk.

njmoviefan on September 22, 2006 at 7:21 am

Any word on if the mid-to-late September showing of West Side Story is taking place this month?

Bway on September 14, 2006 at 5:05 am

Can’t someone please submit an opening paragraph for this theater (I would, but feel someone more familiar with this theater should). It’s amazing that a theater as the status of one Wonder Theaters can get by on the site without even a sentence about it in the opening feature section.

ArchStanton007 on September 14, 2006 at 4:54 am

The Daily News started a new Tuesday pullout section devoted to the Bronx, yet nothing about this wonderful theater has been featured. The owners are doing a poor job in promoting it. Few people outside of this site and that neighborhood are aware it’s even reopened.

Months back I had suggested to the publisher of “Back in the Bronx” magazine to start a bus tour of the Paradise from lower Westchester due to a lack of nearby parking and public fears of street crime which is very, very high in that 46th Precinct area. I usually park on Arthur Avenue and walk up, no problem, but most others fear the
area for good reason. Hopefully the midtown tour companies that presently operate Bronx tours will include the Paradise.

Am surprised the owner has not experimented with showing spanish language films as was done at National Amusements Concouse Plaza multiplex. Did they discontinue it??

QueenTee on August 7, 2006 at 9:28 am

FOUND MY LOST LOVE AT THE PARADISE: I met a man who repeately asked me out, but I declined each time. One Saturday he called and asked me to join him for a movie and allow him to change my preception about him. I agreed. We went to the Paradise Theater to see Buglar, starring Whoopie Goldberg. Once we entered the theater, I noticed a gentelman that looked familar, Lorenzo P. We dated a few years before, but never took it to the next level because we both had significant others. Lorenzo greeted us, and my date stepped away to give us some privacy. (MISTAKE #1) Lorenzo and I quickly caught up with each other status (both single) and he asked to visit me the next day. I agreed and offered my number but he refused, stating that he did not need it because there would be no excuses for him not to see me the next day, just give me your address and I’ll be there. Till this day, I don’t know if it was due to my excitment of seeing him the next day or if the movie was wack, but I had to get out of there and sleep so the day would be over already. Of course I did not decline when my date wanted to leave during the middle of the movie because he was not into it. At my apartment door, I tried to end the date but my date wanted to come in for a drink of water. I let him in and got him the water, he slipped it slowly and tried to get close to me. I was looking for a reason to end the date quickly and he gave it to me when he tried to show me how sexy he was and rubbed up on me.(MISTAKE #2) Goodnite Mr. Nasty! Sleep, Sleep, Sleep. Awake! I was a happy women when Lorenzo showed up at my door the next afternoon. We were inseparable. A few MONTHS later, my date called and I thanked him for the movie and making it possible for me re-connecting with the love of my life. Lorenzo and I were together for many years, but even good things sometime come to an end. I have been to the Paradise several times but of course this was the most memorable. Thanks for reading.

rabbitlaz on August 1, 2006 at 3:12 pm

According to their website, there will be a comedy show on August 26th. Sounds like a good idea.

rlvjr on July 22, 2006 at 11:22 am

THE TIME IS NOW! I found tickets for the Paradide listed on the TickerMaster site for “Night in Paradise” on September 30th. It says it’s a night of classic r&b music. Several Black groups. Well, OK, I’m white but I’ve seen many shows at Washington DC’s Howard Theatre, Washington’s equivalent of Harlem’s Apollo. Black people speak English, likewise sing in English. That’s all I ask. Before rap they made good music, many still do. Tickets are $75, 65, 55 or 45. Pretty steep, but so what? I’ll be there —– in Row A. What about you?

ThePhotoplayer on July 20, 2006 at 9:27 am

Frankly, a venue that size in NYC costs less to keep closed and rented out for catering and such than it does to run it for concerts (throwing on EVERY light in the house).

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 18, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Well, there has been some discussion of this in the past. It seems like every event is certainly not listed on that web site.

Altoblanco on July 18, 2006 at 7:14 pm

No shows scheduled until September 30th (a soul music concert)? I am very surprised at the lack of bookings – theater management will have to do better than this if they want to recoup their investment and cover operating expenses – I doubt that their food-beverage services and rented retail spaces generate enough income to support such a large space. So unless they are renting it out every week for private parties, corporate functions or catered events, I can’t see how they manage to survive.

Let’s hope this “dry spell” is temporary.

At least they are making capital improvements with the funds that they have. Those high-efficiency light bulbs will pay for themselves in energy savings and relamping costs, as they will last up to 10 times (about 9000 hours) longer than old-fashioned incandescent “Edison lamps” and require less-frequent replacement. Only problem is: can they be dimmed? (I assume they are compact fluorescent and/or LED lamps – these require special ballasts and circuits for dimming – this equipment, along with installation costs, is very expensive).

Also, don’t they hire union electricians for this type of work? Their labor rates can be outrageous.

Finally, a good point was made regarding movie presentations – didn’t they remove projection capabilities (rooms and equipment) when they modified the theater for live performances?

njmoviefan on July 17, 2006 at 4:13 am

Thanks for getting the follow-up.

Interesting that Orlando’s reply talks about replacing light bulbs and nothing about the installation/specifications of the film projection gear they are going to have.

JimRankin on July 17, 2006 at 4:04 am

Ah, to replace all light bulbs! Consider: in the 1920s a light bulb cost 2 cents, the electric rate was about ½ cent per kilowat hour, and bulb replacement labor was around 30 cents or less the hour; now we have nearly a dollar per standard bulb, around 8 cents per kilowat hour, and probably $15 per hour labor. It is a miracle that they found the thousands needed to pay for all that work! Few of us ever get to see a movie palace’s thousands of bulbs fully lit for just these reasons! I dearly hope someone takes photos of the newly illuminated space before about 700 hours pass and most of the bulbs are again burned out without again the money to replace them.

I also hope that the contractor will be careful of the fragile items: paint, plaster and textiles which can easily be damaged by rough fellows on the hurry-up, which all contractors are in order to make the most money. This is why I prefer volunteers if possible to do relamping; presumably they care. Such a theatre is just too precious a learning experience for a contractor who is there one day with his minimum wage crew, and gone the next! Let us hope that the owner keeps at least one ‘clerk-of-the-works’ on site at ALL times to keep the contractor and crews considerate of the building, and right there with a camera to document any damage they do. It would be good to let it leak that there are hidden security cameras in the attic and all areas to monitor all doings!

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 16, 2006 at 1:28 pm

Very cool! It certainly sounds like they are doing things right.