Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 25, 2007 at 11:30 am

What happened to West Side Story and members of the cast?. This place was built for MGM films from the Hollywood factory days. I want that to be my first visit. How about some cinemascope movies from the 50’s. They would be great there as opposed to the Loews Jersey with its narrow proscenium.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on January 25, 2007 at 10:54 am

Ed, the Loew’s signage still remains on the facade. As someone who has taken advantage of both the tour and a concert, I would highly recommend it. You’re right the tour was considerably cheaper (only six dollars) but there was something special about attending a concert with the large crowd. I think many posters a reluctant to attend a show for a few reasons…show may not appeal to one’s taste, apprehension about the neighborhood, and/or the feeling that it can never be like “the good old days.” Give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised. I went on a tour with my elderly mother who had a fantastic time. In addition, I attended a 70’s soul show with my sister, and we both enjoyed it. Even though I was “not in my element” (we are white and the majority of the audience was black) we were treated warmly and never felt out of place.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2007 at 6:24 am

I would also throw in that this theater might appeal to those who are partial to the “atmospheric” design. There aren’t many of those left in NYC. The former Loew’s Valencia in Jamaica is still open as a church and remains in fine condition, although the original color scheme has been obliterated and the atmospheric effect ruined with the inclusion of a large chandelier hanging from the auditorium ceiling. I haven’t been in the fomer Queensboro/Elmwood Theater in Elmhurst long enough to determine if the original atmospheric sky is being restored by the church that now occupies the site. The RKO Keith’s in Flushing has been completely violated and stands only as rubble-strewn ruin awaiting redevelopment. That leaves only the Paradise and (if one crosses the Hudson) the former Stanley in Jersey City (beautifully preserved by the Jehovah’s Witnesses) as examples of this particular style.

Does anyone know if the “Loew’s” signage remains on the facade of the Paradise? Is it protected by landmark designation even though the brand is now owned by AMC Theaters? I’m curious if there is anything going on in that regard by way of litigation between BX Entertainment and AMC.

And just to follow up on rlvjr’s last comment… An excellent suggestion, provided the programme appeals to one’s tastes. I would remind everyone, however, that a tour of the theater would be considerably less expensive, if all one wants is to see the facility itself. The website also contains contact information regarding guided tours. I haven’t taken advantage of this offering yet, but I think I might do so in the Spring.

Bway
Bway on January 25, 2007 at 5:44 am

Not to mention that seeing that the Loews Capitol, the Roxy, etc are torn down or gone, what’s wrong with praising the theaters that are left? It may not have been the “grandest” theater in NYC….but it sure is a beautiful place regardless, espeically pooling from the theaters that are left, intact, and in good condition.

Ziggy
Ziggy on January 25, 2007 at 4:44 am

Certainly the Roxy was grander, but since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, who can say? It seems to this outside observer that few other theatres in New York City, if any, were as beloved in their own neighborhood as the Paradise. I have elderly friends from Bronx who recall going to the Paradise with such amazing nostalgia and longing. Much more than I’ve ever heard from people recalling other theatres. It’s almost as if this building was the defining factor for their neighborhood. The theatre even gets mentioned in the movie “Marty” when a few bronxites are discussing what to do for the evening. Of course they pronounce it “Lowee’s Paradise”.

rlvjr
rlvjr on January 24, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Instead of wasting time posting comments, go out and see a show at the PARADISE. There are four (4) currently listed through Feb 2007. Their website is listed above.

Much as I love this theatre, it was NOT the grandest or most beautiful in the USA let alone the World. Not even in NYC. Loew’s Capitol on Broadway was grander, as was the ROXY. But contrary to New York thinking, life does not end at the Hudson River. The Detroit FOX and it’s twin the St. Louis FOX are very much grander (and fully operational) to name just two of many. John Eberson designed movie palaces all across America, as did others.

Bway
Bway on January 2, 2007 at 8:35 am

All I have to say is WOW!!!! truly beautiful.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 30, 2006 at 8:27 am

Terrific photos! Thanks Life. Not sure if they’ve been posted before, but in a string this long, it’s not a bad thing to re-post items such as this every so often.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 30, 2006 at 7:22 am

I am pretty sure this has never been posted. But I am not going to take the time to scan the long string of comments above to make sure. This PDF has a comprehensive photo set documenting the theatre’s interior, as well as many interesting written passages:

Most of the photos can be found in a series starting on page 20.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 21, 2006 at 3:36 pm

Yeah, I’d have to say that really stinks. I think I would have rather had a grid. They could have turned it into a trellace and hung fake foliage from it. LOL.

Don’t know enough to say whether or not the vents are needed in that configuration.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 12:57 pm

That is unfortunate. But I prefer a hole in the ceiling and a few ducts to the four-plex that previously existed. Sounds like they should paint it blue. Cannot think of a reason why it must be white.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 20, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I just realized that the online photo is cropped more severely than the image that went to print, so you can’t make out the recess to which I was referring. For those without the benefit of a printed edition, the cieling recess runs parallel to the stage and directly overhead of mid-center orchestra and it is painted completely white.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 20, 2006 at 9:47 am

I saw the article yesterday as well. Too bad they had to cut that long recessed notch across the atmospheric ceiling. I assume that is for lighting? I also suppose that the notch is preferable to bolting a rig in place to hang from the cieling. I wonder if painting the recess the same shade of blue as the rest of the cieling would improve the look. In any event, it is nice to read how nicely the theater is doing. I also enjoyed the quotes and passages about Eberson discussing how he drew inspiration from the warm Floridian evenings he enjoyed while vacationing south for the winter.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 8:52 am

Sweet! That is the first decent view I have seen of the auditorium.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 13, 2006 at 4:40 pm

These guys at the Paradise don’t seem to be doing half-bad! It is heart-warming to see.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on October 1, 2006 at 5:44 pm

Im glad you enjoyed the show, rlvjr. I attended a similiar show there back in February and had a nice time as well. That show lasted 3 ½ hours. It’s a real pleasure seeing people once again, enjoy this real treasure of a theatre.

rlvjr
rlvjr on October 1, 2006 at 5:27 pm

I returned to Loew’s PARADISE last night for the 9/30/06 Night in Paradise show. It had been 55 years since I’d last been there. Some of the theatre’s wonderful features are gone, but most remain; and the theatre is still magnificent.
We could not believe the Night in Paradise show lasted for 5 ¼ hours, starting just after 8 pm and ending at 1:18 am. A good show except for the excess of amplification (common at most music shows in 2006). Most of these now-elderly Black groups had (and still have) real talent; but truly talented entertainers do not need excessive volume to wow an audience.
A great big thank you to Orlando Lopes of the Theatre Historical Society, and many others, working to save this wonderful landmark; perhaps a small start to making the Bronx a better place.
Based on an average ticket price of $65, and with virtually all of the 3885 seats filled, I’d guess the show grossed $175,000 to $200,000. That compares to a flat zero if the theatre had remained shuttered. Of greater importance was the good time had by all.
I won’t soon return there, however. The 260 mile commute in each direction was a special occasion —– well worth the trouble —– not easily repeated (unless the show’s real good).

njmoviefan
njmoviefan on September 29, 2006 at 5:04 am

I guess the September movie is not happening. :( Should we hope for October?

electricspike
electricspike on September 28, 2006 at 5:48 am

Thanks Ziggy and Jim. I will definitely try those avenues first.

JimRankin
JimRankin on September 27, 2006 at 11:22 am

Yes, by all means, approach the current owners of the theatre first, but if they decline you would do best to approach first The Theatre Historical Soc. of America preferably with good snap shots at their address give on the first page of their web site: www.historictheatres.org If they express no interest, The League of Historic American Theatres might through their site: www.lhat.org

Both of these groups have means by which they might sell them for you on a consignment basis, should they not be able to afford them.

Please contact them BEFORE you go to such as E-bay where speculators will snap them up to resell at outrageous prices to the wealthy who care nothing about history, but only want what they think of as “kitsch.”

Ziggy
Ziggy on September 27, 2006 at 10:36 am

Hi Manfred. Why don’t you approach the theatre owners? They’d most likely by thrilled to have a chance to get some original fixtures back again.

electricspike
electricspike on September 27, 2006 at 7:04 am

Many years ago I was involved in the renovation(electrical portion) of this beautiful theater when it was being split into smaller theaters (what a crime). I was able to retain some of the old light fixtures from the original theater. Some are solid brass (Exit sign, balcony sign)and some are wrought iron (main theater side aisle ceiling lights). Now I am seriously low on space to keep them and must sell them. If anyone is interested in these treasures of the past please contact me at , so we can talk.

njmoviefan
njmoviefan on September 22, 2006 at 7:21 am

Any word on if the mid-to-late September showing of West Side Story is taking place this month?

Bway
Bway on September 14, 2006 at 5:05 am

Can’t someone please submit an opening paragraph for this theater (I would, but feel someone more familiar with this theater should). It’s amazing that a theater as the status of one Wonder Theaters can get by on the site without even a sentence about it in the opening feature section.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on September 14, 2006 at 4:54 am

The Daily News started a new Tuesday pullout section devoted to the Bronx, yet nothing about this wonderful theater has been featured. The owners are doing a poor job in promoting it. Few people outside of this site and that neighborhood are aware it’s even reopened.

Months back I had suggested to the publisher of “Back in the Bronx” magazine to start a bus tour of the Paradise from lower Westchester due to a lack of nearby parking and public fears of street crime which is very, very high in that 46th Precinct area. I usually park on Arthur Avenue and walk up, no problem, but most others fear the
area for good reason. Hopefully the midtown tour companies that presently operate Bronx tours will include the Paradise.

Am surprised the owner has not experimented with showing spanish language films as was done at National Amusements Concouse Plaza multiplex. Did they discontinue it??