Showing 226 - 250 of 2,488 comments found
There is a nice picture of this theatre on page 66 of Images of America: Downtown Paterson.
Built by Max Gold in 1910. From 1910 to 1926 vaudeville only. In 1926 the primary focus switched to movies but live vaudeville continued until 1952. A photo can be found on page 62 of Images of America: Downtown Paterson.
Images of America: Downtown Paterson has a photo on page 62. It states that the site is now a parking lot.
The K, S & K Amusement Company purchased the German Reformed Church and renovated it into the original Strand Theatre.
Built in the early 1900s to replace the original Opera House, the “new” Opera House began with vaudeville and was later renovated for talkies. It eventually closed and was razed around 1960. Today on the site is not a parking lot but the United Methodist Church, which puts the theatre location closer to George Street but still on Liberty.
A photo can be found on page 100 of Images of America: New Brunswick.
Listed in the 1944 Film Daily Yearbook as closed with 540 seats.
Listed in the 1951 & 1956 versions with 248 seats. None list a street address. Perhaps there was a larger predecessor theatre of the same name?
On this site was the Mansion House, renamed from the West Bloomfield Hotel after a remodelling the late 1800s. It was razed and the Montclair Theatre opened on the site in 1913. It was the town’s first theatre and held concerts, plays, silent movies and later talkies. The asbestos curtain portrayed a 1913 scene of Bloomfield Avenue. The theatre was razed in the early 1950s. The debris was used as fill for the basement space. A parking lot does indeed occupy this site. Settling of the theatre fill caused the lot to sink. During reconstruction in 1997 one could see remains of the theatre.
source – Images of America: Montclair, pages 77 & 84
According to Images in America: Montclair, page 83, the organ installed in the Wellmont came from the Montclair Theatre.
Oops – that last post belongs to the new Colonial.
Built in 1922. A photo can be found on page 127 of Images of America: Long Beach Island.
Built in 1937 as a Walter Reade theatre. Izzy Hirshblond began managing it in 1941 under the Toms River Company. Upon his death in 1961 it reverted back to Walter Reade management. A photo can be found on page 61 of Images in America: Along the Toms River.
This theatre was built around 1920 by Isadore (Izzy) Hirshblond. It had vaudeville and silent film in the early days. Today the site is part of the property of the Sovereign Bank. A photo, identical to my 1/22/06 post, can be found on page 61 of Images in America: Along the Toms River.
This theatre was located on the south side of Atlantic Avenue between Ocean and First Avenues. Built in 1920 by Martin Wohlforth to replace his aidrome (not clear if the airdome was at the same location). A photo can be found on page 115 of Images in America: Spring Lake. The photo does NOT match that of my 7/28/06 post.
Street scenes showing the theatre can be found on pages 82 & 83 of Images of America: Roselle Park. Style is listed as art deco.
Additionally on page 128, there is a picture of Andy Garcia at the premiere of Just the Ticket on 2/26/1999. The movie was filmed in Roselle Park and was directed by Richard Wenk, who has family in the town.
1975 Thomas Carr and Earle Heckeroth Jr., who one year ago purchased the Algonquin Theater, take over operation of the Lavallette Cinema in April.
from View link
“Despite this laissez-faire attitude toward history, much of old Lavallette remains; of particular interest are the Lavallette Hotel on Grand Central Avenue and the Lavallette Theater to the south, whose stucco alterations suggest an effort to streamline and modernize."
from View link
There is a nice picture of the Strand, ca 1930, on page 26 of “Images of America: Freehold”. The caption states that the Strand burned down on April 7, 1962 along with nine stores.
On page 123 of “Images of America: Freehold Volume II” there is a picture of the Strand in the background of a 1953 parade. The marquee is curved, unlike the aforementioned photo that has a vertical marquee. The curved marquee also reads “A Walter Reade Theatre”.
This theatre was DEMOLISHED in the mid 1990s.
Source: Images of Amercia: Long Branch p. 37
Old lobby card from the 1960s when it was a playhouse:
Button from 10th anniversary:
another post card from the 50s or 60s: