El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

uncleal923
uncleal923 on January 11, 2005 at 3:35 am

Maybe I should explain. I heard the El Capitan has stage shows much like they once did at Radio City Music Hall in New York, near where I live. This would be a great return to the past. I plan to visit the LA Area in late March, and want to see a movie at one of these picture palaces.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on January 11, 2005 at 3:32 am

Does the El Capitan have many stage shows?

William
William on January 10, 2005 at 8:24 pm

The other El Capitian Theatre is located at 1735 North Vine Street, almost across the street Capitol Records building.

Englewood
Englewood on January 10, 2005 at 7:13 pm

In an earlier posting here, Oct. 19, 2003, there is mention of another El Capitan theater. It was also used as a television studio. Where was it? In one of those El Capitans, Richard Nixon delivered his famous “Checkers Speech.” Which one, and where?

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 2, 2005 at 3:00 am

I was raised in Hollywood in the 1950s and the El Capitan was called “The Paramount” in those days. There was a huge marquee over the entrance, and I found a photo of it as it looked then…..

Patsy
Patsy on December 22, 2004 at 7:48 pm

I just spoke with a friend who told me about this theatre so I then looked here and found it! Great find!

Bway
Bway on December 17, 2004 at 12:44 pm

It’s a paradox. Although I did have comments in this theater thread before this, if you repied to any of the “poll” threads, you will get “just responded emails” to the corresponding theater with the same number. For example, if you participated in one of the polls that havd “17” at the end of it’s URL, you will get the responses from the theater with “17” on it’s URL, which happens to be the El Capitan theater.
I first noticed this happening with the Zeigfeld in Manhattan. Rigth after I responded to one of the poll threads that had “12” in it’s URL, I got “someone just responded to” emails for the Zeigfeld which has “12” in it’s URL.
It’s a glitch in the website code I guess.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 17, 2004 at 5:04 am

Okay, I noticed a few names that are in the Loew’s Kings Message Board. I just figured that the people who don’t know about it, and helped with the restoration of the Cl Capitan, which I think I may have heard the name of, could help us. Furthermore, 3,000 miles is too far for competition between the theaters (file that under obvious to all).

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 17, 2004 at 5:00 am

I don’t know how I am getting replies for a comment I never made, but maybe you Californians can help me anyway. Maybe if some of you could go to the Cinema Treasures page on the Loew’s Kings. We are trying to restore this Brooklyn, NY, landmark. If some of you could give some suggestions so that the theater could be restored like the El Capitan.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 16, 2004 at 5:28 pm

Some of us old hippies remember the Earl Carroll Theater as The Aquarius where “Hair” opened. It is now the home of some Nickelodeon Channel productions.

William
William on December 15, 2004 at 3:57 pm

The building next door to the El Captian Theatre is the former Masonic Temple in Hollywood.

And the theatre that Fox converted was the former Earl Carroll Theatre on Sunset Blvd., which Viacom uses for one of their children shows as a stage.

br91975
br91975 on December 15, 2004 at 3:22 pm

Does anyone remember what theatre it was Fox bought and converted into the studio for ‘The Chevy Chase Show’ (which was on the air for about as long as it’s taking me to type these words in the fall of ‘93)?

Bway
Bway on December 15, 2004 at 3:02 am

The building to the right of the El Capitan that now is the studio fo Jimmy Kimmel Live, appears to have been a bank at one time, but I am not sure.

br91975
br91975 on December 15, 2004 at 1:23 am

What did the building located to the right of the El Capitan house, prior to serving currently as the studio from which ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ is broadcast and, previous to that, display space for interactive exhibits tied into films being shown next door?

RobertR
RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 3:15 pm

I still don’t know why Disney does not try this policy in New York.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 14, 2004 at 3:09 pm

Yes, I worded my previous post poorly. There was a “generic” show but not specifically tied to the movie being shown. However, that $15 price is to sit on the sides both on the floor and in the balcony only. To sit in the center section on either level is a whopping $24.00!! On holidays, such as Christmas, the $24.00 price is expanded to include the entire front of the balcony. Child and Senior prices apply to the sides only, all ages pay full price in the center. When “Pirates of the Caribbean-Curse of the Black Pearl” returns in January expect to pay $19.00 for the center sections. I do not know if a show comes with that one.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on December 14, 2004 at 7:06 am

At Loews we had a ‘Code of Conduct’ poster that was posted near the entrance and ticket taker, but we only put it up when we had a picture that attracted a particularly raucus crowd.

JakeM
JakeM on December 14, 2004 at 5:02 am

No, I think what Manwithnoname means is that the live show that precedes the movie is a generic “Disney” one, that is not related to The Incredibles. The ticket for a movie alone is $11 (i think) which is the same as the regular price ticket at the Chinese.

RobertR
RobertR on December 14, 2004 at 3:39 am

Wow they get $15 for the movie alone?

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 14, 2004 at 2:58 am

Waiting for the show to start at the Chinese I passed by this theater (see above why I will never attend again) and saw posted out front a “code of conduct”. I have never seen such a thing posted in front of a box office which talks to every patron like they are 5 years old. Add to this a $15 ticket price with no special live show for The Incredibles. Incredible!

JimRankin
JimRankin on November 18, 2004 at 3:25 pm

I seem to recall that the the ‘Farwell’ concert was recorded and published some years back, and likely someone knows where you can obtain a copy. Contact your local theatre organ society (a list of them is at www.atos.org or www.theatreorgans.com)) and most any member will have a list of the various outfits that distribute and sell such recordings.

LCHEFF
LCHEFF on November 18, 2004 at 3:31 am

I recalled a story a friend told me about this organ that used to be in the San Francisco Fox when I saw a piece done on it in a PBS series called “California Gold”. A couple of her brother-in-laws were into electronics and had a repair shop in Dixon, CA and when they heard the San Francisco Fox was being closed, they got permission to go in and record the musicians who came to play the Wurlitzer “one last time”. She had so enjoyed hearing these performers and this marvelous instrument. I hope the nephews and nieces have preserved these recordings and that they are played so others can enjoy the experience as much as she did. I was please to learn that the instrument had not only been “saved” but was played in a setting much like its original home.

William
William on October 28, 2004 at 11:01 pm

When Pacific Theatres took over the Paramount Theatre. They ran it into the ground, by booking B type studio film into it. When SRO ran the theatre they cared about it. Most of the time the balconies in many of the theatres would go unused because the films that were booked into the theatre, produced lesser numbers in box office. With that your theatre had a budget for tickets sold to how many floor staff that you could have working on a shift. If the film was a dog you could not open the balcony, because you would have to staff that extra usher and bring in an extra cleaning person to clean the balcony. It does not sound like much to have that extra person or persons. But the janitors position at these theatres were a part of
the union.

JimRankin
JimRankin on October 28, 2004 at 5:24 pm

Ed, another reason many theatres didn’t open their balconies was that their insurnace carriers forced them to pay a higher premium for the time the balcony was open, and often also added terms such as a specified minimum of ushers up there, guaranteed working aisle lights, repaired seats, etc. Also, many fire codes specified a certain minimum number of working lights —usually set by the building inspector during an inspection —and many theatres did NOT maintain any more lights than they were forced to! Yes, they were cheap about it, but then the owner was only interested in profits, not beauty of theatre!