Marbro Theatre

4110 W. Madison Street,
Chicago, IL 60624

Broan
Broan on February 11, 2006 at 8:28 am

The cook county assessor’s office changed their system. To access pages there now, change the ‘/filings/searchnew/’ in the url to ‘/ccaosearch/’.

I came across an article saying that a copy of the Marbro was to be built near the Tivoli in Woodlawn, presumably before the Granada deal popped up.

JimRankin
JimRankin on February 10, 2006 at 6:49 pm

Bryan, I get upon clicking:

“Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ‘80004005’

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

/filings/searchnew/searchdetails001.asp, line 47 "

DonnaShelley
DonnaShelley on September 22, 2005 at 2:36 pm

P.S. Do you remember the Martinique? It was the Ice Cream parlor on the northwest corner just down the block to the west of the Marbro. It served the famous “Tummy Buster” creation. I always thought that combo of theatre and restaurant was heaven. Great to go to after a date. I’ll see if I can scare up a pic of a date there.

DonnaShelley
DonnaShelley on September 22, 2005 at 2:31 pm

Wow, that’s amazing. I remember Mr. Konradt and ran into him in the middle 1960’s or so at a LaGrange theatre he was managing. I introduced myself and my husband to him thinking that he might have actually remembered me a humble candy girl. He didn’t lead on either way, so I was happy. That era was the last great hurrah of that neighborhood.
Funny, I’ve been to the Rialto theatre in Joliet, and it’s gorgeous alright..but I wrote the manager to ask how many seats there were in it. I believe it was right above 1,000 or so. Now that brings you to the incredible reality of how big that grand mama, the Marbro, really was – topping at almost 4,000 seats.
How lucky we were to have been there. How very lucky indeed.
Need more pics people!

StuartSwanson
StuartSwanson on September 22, 2005 at 7:00 am

I also worked the Marbro between 1957 & 1959. Ed Konradt was the manager. Mr. Russo’s relief ticket taker was Sam Weiss, a retired bowling ball salesman (no kidding). One of the Projectionist’s was Henry Gussenberg. His brothers were both shot dead in the St. Valantines Day Massacre. I loved working there so much, I landed up managing movie theaters for over 25 years. Those were great days on Madison Street.
Stuart Swanson

DonnaShelley
DonnaShelley on June 17, 2005 at 3:58 pm

I am amazed and thrilled to see my old movie house again. Awesome work everyone. I wish there were more pics of the inside. I worked there when I was in high school as a ticket seller and candy girl between 1959-1962. I was awed by this theater and felt honored to even be a part of it. I remember old Mr. Russo, the ticket taker, who regaled me with stories of his dealings with buying and selling vegetables by the car load from trains in old Water Market St.
I can remember the 10 Commandments playing there. The spiral stair cases that went to the lavatories, so outstanding, everything.
So much history and I’m glad to read of some of the artifacts still in use at other place. I also remember feeling bad about the Paradise Theater being torn down. I made a point of seeing the very last movie they ever showed. I thought the title was “The Red Sundown” but now I’m not even sure. Both theaters were great and sorely missed.
Donna

MKuecker
MKuecker on June 15, 2005 at 7:17 pm

The Marbro theatre was actually the twin sister of The Granada Theatre :) Please if anyone has photos of it, exterior or interior I’d like to do a piece on it on my website which is a tribute to The Granada http://www.oldgranadatheatre.com

teecee
teecee on March 17, 2005 at 9:20 am

Another old photo (note incorrect spelling in the title):

Patsy
Patsy on February 13, 2005 at 6:30 am

Sam_e: Thanks for sending me that lovely email and informing me of this former Chicago theatre. Great reading!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 10, 2004 at 8:08 am

Excellent photo! But according to the text, it was supposed to be a picture of the truck!

JimRankin
JimRankin on May 21, 2004 at 11:56 am

The MARBRO had many unusual features, the lobby’s ‘flying’ staircase being perhaps the most memorable, but the auditorium had at least one notable feature too: the illuminated giant discs. These four gilded sheet metal discs were about three feet in diameter and contained cut out spaces filled with dyed isinglass panels that allowed the incandescent lights mounted behind them to show through in jewel-like colors. There were some of the trimmings made for the Grand Drapery against which they hung to cast halos of light upon the shimmering satin drapery cloth. They were probably wired in to the proscenium lights circuit and went on whenever the front wall was illuminated. They are shown in perhaps the only good photos of the area in the catalog of the E.L. Mansure Co. of 1928 as examples of some of the more unusual decorations made by that prominent firm, which still exists as a small division of the Joanna Western Mills div. of the Crown Henry conglomerate, in Joanna, S. Carolina. The same designs of convex discs were also used in the late lamented GRANADA in Chicago, and these were removed before demolition and stored in the nearby UPTOWN. The Mansure catalog is preserved at the Theatre Historical Soc. in Elmhurst, Ill. and they can be contacted at: www.HistoricTheatres.org