Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 276 - 300 of 3,937 comments

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Yes, if “The Amazing Spiderman” was a Ziegfeld exclusive and maybe one other theater (The Baronet?) like the old days, this conversation wouldn’t be happening. So it goes. With no disrespect to the Ziegfeld, which I love, I encourage you classics lovers (seen as the way “they were meant to be seen”) to trot over to Queens and see the glorious Museum of the Moving Image. They’re ongoing “See It Big” series is worth it in a fabulous state of the art setting. Here’s a link to the Summer series, it’s incredible. Many DCP-The “Ben-Hur” alone is astonishing. I saw it last September at NYFF.

Also, FYI-The Loew’s Kings project is alive and well. Construction begins the end of this year.

Best to all,

Gary

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on June 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This theatre has always closed between bookings when the boxoffice did not meet the house nut. Only Cineplex Odeon kept it open all year round, no matter what and ate the loss.

mhvbear
mhvbear on June 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Closed to the public but not dark. They have been hosting premiers this week including ‘The Amazing Spiderman’ last night.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 28, 2012 at 9:03 pm

The Ziegfeld has closed again, but will re-open next week with the new “Spider Man” epic.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 14, 2012 at 11:58 pm

So with Snow White, Rock of Ages and soon The Dark Knight Rises, I guess the Ziegfeld is doing OK for the rest of the summer. Good to hear.

mhvbear
mhvbear on June 14, 2012 at 9:51 pm

“Dark Knight Rises” tickets at the Ziegfeld are now on sale.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm

The Ziegfeld has apparently re-opened with “Snow White and the Huntsman.” Replacing it tomorrow (June 15th) will be “Rock of Ages,” according to posters displayed.

Giles
Giles on June 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm

^ that New Jersey theater that is getting the Atmos auditorium for ‘Brave’ is AMC Garden State 16 by the way.

zoetmb
zoetmb on May 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

The problem is that when the Ziegfeld has tried to do revivals and festivals, no one shows up. But a lot of those festivals were for films that were originally released in 70mm 6-tk mag, but the prints the Ziegfeld got for the revival were 35mm optical and not necessarily in great condition. There have been relatively recent 70mm festivals in Los Angeles, occasionally in Seattle and more frequently in the UK and Europe. It would be great if the Ziegfeld did one. Last summer, the Seattle Cinerama played 70mm prints of West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia and Cleopatra in addition to This Is Cinerama and How The West Was Won in the original 3-strip Cinerama.

The Bradford Cinema in the UK had a festival in April that in addition to Cinerama films played vintage 70mm prints of Ryan’s Daughter, Around The World in 80 Days, The Star Chamber and Black Rain. (Don’t know the condition of the prints though.)

I was hoping that that the theatre was closed to install the new Dolby Atmos sound system for the premiere of “Brave”. But I was at an AES seminar the other night and we were told that “Brave” will not be playing at any Manhattan theatre in that format (closest is NJ, but they didn’t name the theatre).

Some years back, Disney wanted to buy the Ziegfeld from Clearview, but Clearview wasn’t interested in selling. Wonder if Disney would still be interested if Clearview decided to close it? Losing the Ziegfeld would really be a big loss. It’s one of the few theatres I’m still willing to see a movie.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm

A few years ago the Ziegfeld used to program classic films to play for weeks during their down times. I guess the one-night-only special screenings are the next best thing, especially since I recently saw two exceptional ones there (“Tommy” and “Yellow Submarine”).

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm

It’s not unusual for THIS theater to close from time-to-time, I agree.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Snow White and The Huntsman opens June 1 in digital.It has never been unusual for theaters to close for a few weeks. When I lived in NYC in the late 70’s and early 80’s they did it all the time.I remember they played New York New York from Memorial day weekend until the Thursday before labor day and than closed and had nothing for labor day weekend. They reopened a few weeks later.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 22, 2012 at 10:12 pm

If it’s in conjunction with the bluray release, moviebuff82, you can bet your house that it’ll be a digital presentation.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Great movie. Wonder if its a dcp or a 35mm print? I found out via amazon.com that they’re showing it a day before the bluray debut. The bluray has a lot of special features as well as a music cd featuring the hit soundtrack by vangelis.

jw1968
jw1968 on May 22, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Also, a screening of Chariots of Fire on July 9th.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 22, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Thanks, mhvbear. That is good news. Whether the movie is good or not, at least there’s a movie playing there.

mhvbear
mhvbear on May 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Snow White and the Huntsman is the next film booked for June 1st.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 16, 2012 at 6:21 am

The next time Clearview’s website has something showing at the Ziegfeld is a screening of Mommie Dearest, with special guest Lisa Lampanelli, on June 21st. Hard to believe, with all the summer blockbusters coming out between now and then, that the Ziegfeld won’t be showing any of them. Rock of Ages would be a perfect fit for the Ziegfeld.

MPol
MPol on May 16, 2012 at 2:19 am

Oh, my god! Ouch! Even though I don’t live in NYC, or even in the NY-NJ-CT area, I sincerely hope that the Ziegfeld stays open. That’s a beautiful theatre! I saw a revival of the film version of West Side Story with my cousin there six years ago..and we both had a ball. It was a beautiful print, and everybody enjoyed themselves and had a lovely time, including me and my cousin.

bazookadave
bazookadave on May 15, 2012 at 2:31 am

Just passed the Ziegfeld this morning and found the marquee empty and no posters up. I hope the theater is not closed. Can find no current showtimes for it at the Clearview site.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm

i share Bill H.’s sentiment. Nov. of 1982 about 3 weeks before it opened the theater had a special screening of “Gandhi”. after the film was over director Richard Attenborough made an appearence and did a some q & a. at the end when people were leaving the theater i walked up to him thanked him for a wonderful film and shook his hand. i then said “i hope you have your Oscar speech for winning Best Director ready. he humbly replied "don’t you think that’s jumping the gun a bit?”. then he thanked me for wishing him well with the film.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2012 at 3:01 am

Fantastic show. Beatles recordings never sounded better. I even got to shake hands with the film’s producer, Al Brodax.

A perfect demonstration of what makes the Ziegfeld such a special place.

RobertR
RobertR on May 6, 2012 at 1:38 am

SethLewis you are correct I fear many many of the Clearview houses would be deemed “not worth the trouble” to a new company. As soon as AMC bought out Loew’s/Cineplex they closed the Rockville Center which had a very high per screen average because it “was only a twin”.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2012 at 12:49 am

I’m sitting in the front row of the Ziegfeld right now, waiting for Yellow Submarine to begin. There are lots of expectant Beatles fans behind me. NYC, we can’t let this beautiful theater die!

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Although a few ArcLights would be nice, Manhattan is hardly underscreened. With 223 screens serving an audience that increasingly goes to see the same movie, even the Empire 25 is often showing less than ten films with some of the alternative films playing to empty seats.