Showing 276 - 300 of 1,841 comments
1947 photo as the Isleta Theatre added, photo credit Don J Akin.
1945 photo added, photo credit Don J Akin.
Circa 1945 photo added, photo credit Don J Akin.
Apparently it later showed burlesque.
Undated photo added courtesy of Hank-William Buelow.
1950 photo added courtesy of Jeff Cavin.
Correction 11/25/70-12/10/70, based on “The McKenzie Break” at the Woods.
Circa 1950 photo added courtesy of Gianni Corso.
Wider version of the 1940 photo added, courtesy of the Y-Block Guy Facebook page.
The city was originally Goose Creek Texas.Via Texas State Historical Association Online:
Actual consolidation of the Tri-Cities began when Pelly annexed unincorporated Baytown under the rules of home-rule charter on December 7, 1945. The population of Goose Creek was 9,928, and by the annexation that of Pelly became 11,030-large enough to annex Goose Creek under state law. After a legal struggle, consolidation became a reality on January 24, 1948. With the adoption of the new charter of the city of Baytown, Goose Creek ceased to exist as a separate town.
Below is via the Traces Of Texas Facebook page.
Weston Davis: “When we remodeled the old Texan Theater for Cork Grinders the original facade was delapidated and literally falling down. The back of the original facade and the upper deck can still be seen in the building. The original rafters are still in place along with the original brick inside wall. The vast majority of the wood used to build the bathrooms, kitchen, and bar were re-used from the demolition of the original parts of the building that were is disrepair.”
1955 photo as the Stanley Theatre added, courtesy of the Kodachrome Heaven Facebook page.
Via Tad Dunville regarding the CTA cars.
“Special motors and controls for higher speeds. It was experimental and the cars were later put back to spec and painted green.”
Four 2015 photos added, photo credit Ken Circo.
1930’s photo as The Cotton Club added courtesy of Stephen Sclafani.
1961 marquee photo added courtesy of Stephen Sclafani.
1933 photo added courtesy of Randy Inghram.
Undated photo added courtesy of the Cindi Sherstad.
Moore Theatre marquee.
Just found out that that top row of terracotta next door to the Playboy, was bought during demolition and later lined the ceiling of Grizzly’s Tavern on Lincoln Avenue.
Possibly February 21, 1956.
World Premiere of “Meet Me In Las Vegas” photos added. March 9th, 1956. Photo credit UNLV Libraries Digital Collections.
Courtesy of the John Chuckman Collection.Possibly 1936, not 1948.
Crisper version of the Easter Sunday 1941 photo, photo credit Russell Lee via the Farm Service Collection.
Circa 1965 photo added courtesy of Scott Orsi.
Two mid `40’s photo added courtesy of Terry Koenig.