AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 301 - 325 of 1,497 comments

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on February 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Justin. These pop star movies makes one think of “A HARD DAYS NIGHT” and “HELP”.Of Course,I ain’t comparing the BEATLES TO BEAVER.

moviebuff82 on February 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I went to see “The Kings Speech”. Very crowded on a day that Justin Bieber’s new movie was dominated with screaming fans. The Queen loved the movie, and so did I. Adam Sandler’s new movie plus the Eagle flick got bad reviews in most media. Thankfully I’ve seen the movie with the most nominations in Oscartown. It will win for acting, but not for best movie. For that, I think the Facebook movie will win over 9 others. Projection was not 4k, but actually a 2k format. During the film, the light bulb was flickering for a bit. At least the audience cheered at the end and laughed at the king’s foul language.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on February 5, 2011 at 10:44 am

Finally went to a First run movie,“TRUE GRIT” I think the Duke would have approved. Only Three other folks in there,What dream way to enjoy a movie.“SANCTUM” got a horrible review in “USA TODAY” .

moviebuff82 on February 4, 2011 at 5:59 pm

The next IMAX 2D release is I Am Number Four, which is getting lots of hype. Another blown-up movie. Most of the movies that are listed on IMAX’s movie page are digital blown-up versions of the regular movies. As long as it’s shown in digital IMAX on a screen that’s taller than the other screens, I’m in for it. It’s also good for scope movies too. Flat movies look immersive too.

moviebuff82 on February 4, 2011 at 5:50 pm

According to Movietickets.com, Sanctum is only playing in LieMax 3D and is being shown blown-up size. No Real D version is playing, so that means that it will look blurry but sound great. Three 3D movies still play, the fake 3D Green Hornet, the box office animated hit Tangled (still the second longest running movie at this theater that I know, behind Harry Potter), and fake 3D Narnia, which has shown legs unlike the last one. The folks at AMC made a bad mistake of putting a $30,000,000 cave rehash into the wrong format.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on February 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Justin,going through some old stuff, found a couple of pairs of “A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET” 3-D glasses.My son,Sean worked in a Theatre like his old man and must have brought them home,Red and Blue lenses made out of paper.Thought of YOU.

moviebuff82 on February 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Advance tickets are now available for two 3D movies, Gnomeo and Juliet and Justin Bieber Never Say Never, and a 2D Comedy, Just Go With It, which looks terrible. As for this weekend’s 3D movie, which is playing in IMAX 3D, it will do so-so business.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 31, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I was told there were about four people watching the Friday evening showing of “GREEN HORNET”.what quick death,Justin.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I just dropped my Daughter off to see “ GREEN HORNET” I told her it would most likely be empty,can’t blame AMC.I never thought it would do business to begin with and I guess it wasn’t in 3-D.

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Probably. Maybe AMC should change their slogan to “Where Movies Live and then Die”.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Thanks Justin expert comment once again.“HORNET” died quick,so in the long run a Bomb?

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Well at least one movie will be playing out of those two, and it’s the Danny Boyle movie. It might be too intense for me to handle…

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2011 at 9:11 am

Well the Oscars have been announced. Expect “127 Hours” and “Winter’s Bone” to play at this theater for the first time as they were nominated for best picture.

moviebuff82 on January 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm

This coming Super Bowl weekend one major 3D release will play on both blown-up IMAX 3D and Real D 3D, Sanctum, which was produced by James Cameron of Avatar fame (one of nine producers) on a $30 million budget with little publicity, an R rating, and a lackluster cast. It will die a fast death at the box office just like what Green Hornet is doing this weekend. Even Justin Bieber won’t save the box office doldrums that are a result of poor box office returns for many 3D and big budget 2D films and the return of the popularity of art house and critically acclaimed movies like True Grit and Black Swan. Expect The Social Network to return to theatres once it gets announced for Oscars.

moviebuff82 on January 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm

lol…Why did rockaway not show a 2D version when they showed it on 2 Real D screens and one 3D Imax screen? That’s the way it is meant to be seen since from what I heard the 3-D was so-so. At least Yogi Bear is finally playing in 2D just like the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon, which also had a feature length movie that was the first Hanna Barbera full length cartoon movie. Too bad Gulliver’s Travels is not a 2D version. Tangled is still showing legs and will provide Disney with lots of 3D cash in addition to Tron Legacy. Sooner or later, there will be a 3-D movie crash very much like the video game crash of 1983.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

USA TODAY “GREEN HORNET, a solid start for the superhero movies that will pack the slate for 2011” Total weekend Gross was $34 million.Film analysts' are pleased with the money,expecting to hit over $40 million with MLK holiday.Guess I was Wrong again,guys.

moviebuff82 on January 16, 2011 at 10:09 am

Possibly the best movie of 2010 that I’ve seen in Rockaway is Inception, followed by Despicable Me in 3D, and Iron Man 2. Best IMAX show would be Tron Legacy since several scenes were used to showcase the Grid fight scenes in full 3D. I heard that MI: Ghost Protocol will use select action scenes in full IMAX. Given the rise and fall of Tom Cruise’s box office with those movies, MI:4 might get a rebound and give Tom Cruise some needed popularity in America since his last movie, Knight and Day, tanked.

moviebuff82 on January 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

You’re right, larry1. Green Hornet didn’t live up to expectations this weekend according to estimates this morning. The box office at this theater continue to slide from last year when the king of 3D movies “Avatar” dominated the weekend. No wonder why fewer movies are being shot with 3D cameras with many being converted for 3D. I saw a commercial for a movie produced by James Cameron that will come out in February called Sanctum which won’t do well at the box office. About the only things that are drawing people into this theater are the Met in HD shows as well as the vast selection of indie movies. Would be nice if “Blue Valentine” and “127 Hours” were to play here.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I saw Scfy running “GREEN HORNET” all day yesterday,what few shows they made.It is hard to predict moviegoers,but we played “SUPERMAN III” to an empty House once Sunday rolled around.Who knows larry1.

moviebuff82 on January 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I agree. I’d rather see something that critics like.

lfreimauer
lfreimauer on January 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I have a feeling that the “Green Hornet” is not going to do much at the box office.

Previews looked rather silly

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 11, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I really wonder what kind of money “GREEN HORNET” will do.so many action heroes.Does the public ever tire of them?

moviebuff82 on January 11, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Due to the snowstorm, this theater will be closed a bit early around 9 p.m. and reopen around noontime, according to movietickets.com. Late night showtimes are greyed out and early morning showtimes are greyed out too. Advance tickets are now on sale for the Natalie Portman movie No Strings Attached. The Green Hornet will play on two 3D screens and on the one IMAX 3D screen. According to IMDB, the movie was reshot using Red One MX cameras for scenes that needed to be in 3D rather than be converted to 3D. Judging by the trailer, the 3D effects look good.