Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 301 - 325 of 1,418 comments

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Another puzzling thing to me is the architectural styles of this and a few other late Loew’s movie palaces. This theatre while attributed to Rapp and Rapp has none of their hallmark grand sweeping features and large ornamental details. It looks very much like the work of Thomas Lamb’s firm. The lobby is remarkably similar to Lamb’s beautiful Keith Memorial Theatre in Boston, and comparisons to Lamb’s San Francisco Fox auditorium have been made before. Did the leading theatre designers sometimes share designers or even designs in the mad productive period of movie palace building in the late 20’s? Do any of you architecture scholars out there have a theory?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on October 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I’m puzzled by the fact that they still call this theatre the Loew’s Jersey, since “Loews”, as it is now known, has nothing to do with the theatre now. The Loews name is now owned by Sony after multiple mergers. I’m surprised that they don’t have problem with this non-Loews theatre still using the name. Just curious.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on September 13, 2009 at 2:41 pm

On the weekend of October 2nd and 3rd, The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre located on Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey will open it’s 9th season of classic films. Since it is also the theatre’s 80th Birthday Jubilee, we will be presenting a selection of films either set in, or filmed in, the 1920’s when the Loews Jersey was young!

The theatre is located directly across from the PATH subway station connecting Manhattan with Jersey City, it is also easy to reach from most area highways. Discounted parking is located directly behind the theatre.

All Show Are Presented In 35mm On Our Huge 50 Foot Wide Screen

Friday October 2nd at 8:00pm â€" “The Untouchables” (1987) Follow the exploits of Elliot Ness and his G-Men as they take down Al Capone back in the violent days of the roaring 20’s.

Saturday October 3rd at 4:00pm â€" “The Coconuts” (1929) One of the Marx Brothers earliest and funniest films, watch as they wreak havoc on a Florida hotel and it’s unfortunate guests.

Saturday October 3rd at 8:00pm â€" “Safety Last” (1923) One of silent comedian Harold Lloyd’s wildest and best films, it features the famous scene of him high above a street hanging off a clock. There will be live organ accompaniment on the Landmark Loews Jersey’s Mighty Morton Theatre Pipe Organ.

Visit The Landmark Loews Jersey web site for details.

[size=1]The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre[/size]

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on September 8, 2009 at 12:29 pm

The Landmark Loews Jersey will begin it’s fall season of classic films on the weekend of October 2nd & 3rd. All the titles have not been confirmed yet, but the show will include Harold Lloyd’s 1923 silent comic masterpiece, Safety Last with live organ accompaniment on the Loews Jersey’s Morton Wonder Theatre Pipe Organ.

bolorkay
bolorkay on September 7, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Hi Debbie,

I’m curious…..what theaters in our area have you visited or do you plan to visit? (theater name and location, please)
I’d really like to find some of the old movie palaces, especially in Northern NJ, that I’ve never visited.
Personally some of my favorites are The Lafayette, in Suffern, NY, the Cedar Lane, in Teneck, and (of course) the Loews Jersey.
It would be great to pool our knowledge of some of the great theatres that are still around and operational.(I checked the list of theatres in the general North NJ/New York area on “Cinema Trasures” but, sadly many of those that I was familiar with are either closed and/or demolished. I wonder if I am missing some?)

NannyDeb
NannyDeb on September 7, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Wow, that picture is great. I just recently joined this website and am amazed at the memories that it is bringing back!!!!! so much so that I went last night to one of the old theatres in Rutherford, NJ that I went to as a kid and posted my experience on that movies page. Now I want to visit all of the theatres that are still there. That is my plan and I aim to do it and post as I go to each one. Since I still live in the Northern NJ area I can get to most of them pretty easily. I will keep you all posted.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm

That’s my friend Jeff S! His comments can be found all over CT, mostly on the Lafayette Theater page.

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on August 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm

How about the restoration of the dome over the center ticket booth? It doesn’t need to be bronze. It could be a composite material, and it could be copied from the King’s which I believe still has the same dome. I with you on the marquee, the blade, and the upper balcony lobby restorations.

Any way, here are some amazing backstage interior shots I found on the web. Many thanks to jeffs4653, whoever you are:

bolorkay
bolorkay on August 21, 2009 at 7:44 am

As much as I would love to see the cross-over lobby brought back to original working order, what I’m really hoping for is work to begin on the ventilation/AC system at the Loews (a costly project, I’m sure)…… when that is accomplished, then the possibilty of summer classic film programs might become a reality. I know the summer is when the FOL does most of their renovations, but to have a couple of weekends of “summer” film classics wouild be something to be hoped for.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 19, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I always like seeing a classic movie here, even though I haven’t been in a while.

LuisV
LuisV on August 19, 2009 at 11:05 am

Great point Ziggy! I do see the day when, once the interior is completed, the focus can shift to the outside. My preference would be marquee first then the blade. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE theater blades, but the main theater focal point is the marquee and the Jersey had a beauty. The blade would be the feather in the cap so to speak.

Ziggy
Ziggy on August 19, 2009 at 7:45 am

Hello LuisV,

You’re right about the marquee needing to be restored. I guess I was focused on the vertical because, well, because it’s GONE! The restoration of the marquee might not be so farfetched. Quite a few replicas of old marquees have gone up, most notably on the Paramount in Times Square, which isn’t even a theatre any more. Chances are the frame for the original marquee is still there, buried behind the fluorescent panels currently in place.

LuisV
LuisV on August 17, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Ziggy, I agree about the blade, but why stop there? The entire marquee should be restored. I know that’s a big wish and that a lot of money would be required, but…..it would be beautiiful and someday…….

MPol
MPol on August 17, 2009 at 3:45 pm

What a great picture of a great-looking theatre! Thanks.

William
William on August 17, 2009 at 2:02 pm

That’s a pretty interesting double feature from that picture. “From Russia with Love” and “Twice-Told Tales” with Vincent Price.

Ziggy
Ziggy on August 17, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Too bad that beautiful vertical sign is no longer extant. I heard that it had to come down because of structural issues. Oh well. Maybe someday we’ll be seeing a replica put up, as has been done at Shea’s in Buffalo and at the Fox in St. Louis.

bolorkay
bolorkay on June 24, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Kudos to the FOL! Great season of classic films, especially with your screening of “The Uninvited”. You folks really came through on your promise.

I’m already looking forward the fall season…. I hope there will be more mystery, horror and science fiction.
Once again, thank you for all of your hard work, FOL.. You guys are the best!

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 16, 2009 at 1:00 am

Wow, very nice.

Excellent photo composition.

ediemer
ediemer on June 15, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Thought this would be of interest…
(Boxoffice Magazine 1/13/75 (Eastern Edition) p.E-3)
“The new Loews triplex in Jersey City recently reopened following conversion and thus far business is reported to be very good, according to manager Ann Rauch. Theatre 1, which had been the balcony in the original house, now seats 1,078. The original downstairs, now divided into Theatre 2 and Theatre 3, seats 524 in each of the new units. Reopening attractions were "Amazing Grace”, “Scenes From a Marriage”, and “Murder on the Orient Express.” The original Loews' Jersey City Theatre was opened more than 50 years ago. This is the first of the so-called “movie palaces” in the North Jersey area, most fo which are located in cities such as Newark, Paterson, Passaic, as well as Jersey City, that has undergone conversion from single to multi-unit operation."

Bway
Bway on May 28, 2009 at 11:27 am

Beautiful photos of a beautiful theater.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on May 27, 2009 at 9:59 am

This coming Saturday, May 30th The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre located on Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey will be presenting the first of our final 2 shows of the season.

The Landmark Loews Jersey is located directly across from the PATH subway station connecting Manhattan with Jersey City, it is also easy to reach from most area highways.

All Show Are Presented In 35mm With Genuine Carbon Arc Projection.

Saturday May 30th at 6:00pm The Uninvited (1944) â€" Rescheduled from an earlier date with a newly struck print!

Saturday May 30th at 8:15pmRebecca (1940) â€" Alfred Hitchcock’s classic thriller.

The following weekend, June 5th and 6th, an animation weekend as our final shows of the season.

Friday June 5th at 8:00pmSpirited Away (2001) â€" Acclaimed Japanese animated feature film about a little girl lost in a surreal world. Dubbed into English Version.

Saturday June 6th at 3:00pm â€" A collection of classic cartoons from the golden age of Hollywood, all in 35mm!

Saturday June 6th at 7:30pmWho Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) â€" I know who framed him, do you?

Visit The Landmark Loews Jersey web site for details.

[size=1]The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre[/size]

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on May 20, 2009 at 2:34 pm

It is the dubbed English version – Lauren Holly, Michael Chiklis, Suzanne Pleshette, Jason Marsden, Daveigh Chase, John Ratzenberger and David Ogden Stiers are among the large cast providing voices.

Since this is intended to be a “family-friendly” show (and not a foreign film festival), I doubt that the audience FOL is trying to attract would want to suffer through over two hours of Japanese-language dialogue with English subtitles (sorry to those “purists” out there). There have been exceptions, where only original, foreign-language versions of family films were available (such as “White Mane").

T228
T228 on May 19, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Alto, is that the original foreign-language version of “Spirited Away” with subtitles. or is it the dubbed American version?

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on May 18, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Announced this past weekend: the film season will conclude with great family entertainment â€" animated classics! (Exact times TBA soon)

5 June – Friday

Evening feature: “Spirited Away” (2001, 2:05)

6 June â€" Saturday

Late afternoon: classic animated shorts (Looney Tunes, Betty Boop, etc.)

Evening feature: “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” (1988, 1:44)