Showing 301 - 325 of 3,535 comments
An old picture of the theatre’s façade can be seen here.
Another view of the theatre’s entrance can be seen here.
Here are some pictures of the Cine Tyris: 1, 2, and 3
The Cine Versalles can be partially seen in this photo.
A picture of this theater’s entrance can be seen here.
Here is a picture of this theater’s façcade.
There was an earlier Cine Lys in Valencia that burned in a spectacular fire on March 27, 1989. There are pictures here (scroll down to see them).
According to this website, this theatre opened as the Auditorium de Québec with a beaux-arts interior; the original architect was Walter S. Painter. It was remodeled in 1927 by architect H. Laberge when the theatre’s name was changed to the Capitol by Famous Players. Another makeover occurred in 1935 under the direction of Raoul Chenevert; it was apparently that year when it became a full time cinema.
The Kress Cinema and Lounge, as is the case with so many other small independent theaters, is trying to raise the funds to go digital and and may close if its efforts are unsuccessful. View article
A picture of the Kentlands Stadium 10 can be seen here.
A picture of the theater can be seen here and a an article describing the experience of attending this theater can be read here.
Yes, the Nixon fell to the wrecking ball in 1975.
In reference to edblank’s comment about moviegoer’s sensing that the film would would be a long ordeal in a single confined set, that is, more or less, what director George Stevens wanted to do in order to simulate the time and tension spent in a claustrophobic environment by the Franks and the others in the “secret annexe.” If you go there (and I have been there), you will find it almost incredible that so many people could have occupied that small space (for many hours each day without speaking or moving) for as long as they did.
To heighten the effect, Stevens wanted to film in the standard screen ratio, but 20th-Century-Fox insisted that he use Cinemascope. So, in a number of scenes, he made the sides of the set appear very thick-walled to reduce the available acting space. The original running time was just a little shy of three hours, later cut down somewhat.
A fire apparently started by welding going on at the Paradise on November caused at least some smoke damage. View article
“Anne Frank” opened on March 18, 1959 at the RKO Palace according to the IMDB.
An interior view of the former Palace Theatre can be seen here and one of the exterior can be seen here, both taken in 1997.
Only time will tell of course, but if the current naming system being used by Digiplex holds in the event of an acquisition, the Ziegfield would probably become the Digiplex Ziegfeld on its website, in directories (online and elsewhere), and in advertising, but not with regard to the theater’s external signage.
Here is an update on the efforts of the Lincoln’s owner to go digital and remain open.
Bloomberg.com is reporting that Digital Cinema Destinations, headed by Bud Mayo, is considering making a bid for the Clearview theaters, especially if a partner can be found. Mayo founded Clearview in 1994, selling it to Cablevision five years later. This article seems to suggest that some locations would be sold off while others would be given digital and other upgrades and that more diversified programming would be offered.
The is additional historical detail related to and a picture of the Oak Lane Picture House/Oriental Cinema on this webpage.
A slideshow of seven photos of the theater can be seen here.
A picture of the building taken in 2010 can be seen here.
Exterior pictures of the theater can be seen here.
There is a picture of the theater’s entrance here and there are additional pictures on its page at CinemaTour.
A picture of the Bristol Tivoli can be seen here.
Another view of the theater’s exterior can be seen here. An interior view can be seen here. It looks it was gitted out and modernized.
Another photograph can be seen here.