AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 326 - 350 of 1,497 comments

moviebuff82 on January 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm

One complaint I have about IMAX 3D is that it’s a bit darker than IMAX 2D. With the new Laser Light system, IMAX will save $$$ and make moviegoers happy. I can’t wait for the new system to put into the IMAX in Rockaway.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on January 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Parts of Born to Be Wild was shot using the new IMAX ‘prototype’ 4 k 3D camera. I cannot find out if the entire production used this camera, or if it was mixed with their normal IMAX 65mm. I have heard that the next digital upgrade for IMAX must take into account their larger screen theaters, as their mission is to (unfortunetaly) eliminate film altogether. There might be a few IMAX theaters here and there (Los Angeles) that will continue to show 65mm film, but I doubt for very long.

If you think that a copy of Tron 3D IMAX film with both reels weighs
over 1000 lbs, and costs close to 60K. If the digital version costs less then a grand..and weigh two pounds max, you can see the allure for exhibitors.

This link hints they are looking to move to Laser projection for their
next upgrade. ….. “The company says that if its use of Laser Light is successful, the larger IMAX screens should switch to digital in the next couple of years. The hope is that the entire system will not have to be replaced and instead, they will be able to integrate the new light source into existing projectors.”

moviebuff82 on January 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Thank you mike Rogers. Thankfully they didnt play the transformers, real steel and fast five trailers, they all suck just like the upcoming I am number four trailer. Born to be wild 3d was shot in IMAX 3d and it will do as good as Hubble 3d. During the movie, they showed some cool 3d ads that used digital IMAX. Ads in order were a simpsons coke ad, a tron coke zero ad for a useless app, and a cool ad for google chrome. This weekend will be the final weekend that tron legacy will be seen on it’s full screen blurry glory.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 4, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I never thought of it ,but why take off the Glasses.they shouldn’t have to tell folks that.The Glasses stay on all the time I would think.Great Comments on IMAX.

moviebuff82 on January 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Tron Legacy is having its last weekend in IMAX 3D this weekend. I liked how the scenes that take place in the Grid outdoors are shown in full IMAX, since it fills up the screen perfectly. Scenes that take place inside the Grid’s buildings are shown in scope format 3-d, and scenes that take place in the real world are in 2d scope. A disclaimer at the beginning of the film warns moviegoers to keep their 3D glasses on for the entire movie, which makes sense. Born to be Wild 3D was the only IMAX 3D trailer to be shown in full screen, as the other trailers were blown-up versions of the scope versions. The Digital IMAX is the largest scope ratio of any screen in this theater.

moviebuff82 on January 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

btw, the glasses that i wore during the showing were a bit scratchy as I tried to clean them. If they were scratchy, would’ve I returned them to the cashier up front for a new pair or keep them until after the show is over? Despite this, I saw the 3D just fine. I sat a row above the non-stadium seating aisle, right around the middle of the screen. The picture in the trailers was very sharp, but when the movie began, it was a soft picture. No pixels at all. Sound was rocking and loud and the film was decent. Maybe if Sony takes over IMAX they can develop a 4k version of the IMAX so that the picture is as sharp as film IMAX as well as digital 4k.

moviebuff82 on January 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Went to see tron in IMAX 3d. The movie was better than the original but the 3d was not as good as despicable me or avatar. Crowd was sparse and was mostly kids and their parents. I’m glad tron is aiming for a new generation of moviegoers while keeping die hard fans happy. Previews were for green hornet 3d mars needs moms 3d pirates 3d cars 2 3d Thor 3d and some cute monkey movie called born to be wild 3d which looks Awesome.

moviebuff82 on December 31, 2010 at 8:12 am

Today, shares of IMAX are up big on rumors that Sony is planning a buyout of the film company. Can this mean that Imax digital will have 4k projection made by Sony? Stay tuned….

moviebuff82 on December 30, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Ur welcome MikeRogers. Have a happy new year. I predict that by 2011 theater #9 would be an ETX given the size of the theater. It will seem unlikely that the surround sound from these theaters will bleed into another theater, causing minor rumbles in another auditorium. The IMAX at AMC in Rockaway is the loudest of the 16 screens and the brightest and blurriest. Is the 3D better than IMAX 2D? I might go see “Tron Legacy” in that format for this last week before Green Hornet comes out, a movie that I won’t see since I prefer the original 1960’s tv show and the 1940’s serials.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Justin a fitting Commentary for a theatre I KNOW you really enjoy.

moviebuff82 on December 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

As 2010 draws to a close, the big news at this theater was that it became all digital by October, and that the era of rolling film in Rockaway that had passed from the old theaters is no more. Ticket and concession prices jumped, and crowds went to the movies in rare form, instead opting to see indie films, 3-D spectacles that were true 3-D as well as IMAX, and seeing the Fathom Events such as the Met in HD which has been a moneymaker for this theater since it debuted in late 2008. What will 2011 bring? Possibly more 3-D crap, movies that the audience doesn’t care, and more price increases as the theater approaches its 5th anniversary.

moviebuff82 on December 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm

theater’s now open.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I didn’t think snow slowed you guys down!LOL.We had about an Inch here and many folks stayed home.Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

moviebuff82 on December 27, 2010 at 11:52 am

Theater still closed. No word on when it will reopen. JJD, have you been to this theater lately?

moviebuff82 on December 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

it will reopen around 2 p.m. today, according to the latest available showtimes from movietickets.com. Slimshady, any word on if ETX will be installed at this theater?

moviebuff82 on December 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

As expected, this theater is closed due to the snowstorm.

moviebuff82 on December 26, 2010 at 9:33 am

That movie was upconverted. As for 3-D movies at this theater since the 3d projection was installed, the longest running 3-D engagemnt is still Avatar, both in IMAX 3-D and Real-D 3D. 2-D 35mm would be The Dark Knight. Digital 4k 2D would be Inception (which is also the same for the IMAX 2D version). There hasn’t been a major IMAX 2D movie that was shot using IMAX cameras that has played long at this theater. Attendance at this theater will be down today because of the big snowstorm. The theater is still open. The manager of this theater knows pretty well when to close the theater early, as it was the case with the Avatar opening one year ago this month.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm

“Gullivers Travels”, according to the critic at USA TODAY, was made only because of 3-D and nothing more.Sad.

JJD
JJD on December 22, 2010 at 6:22 pm

speaking of 3D…
the top four movies right now are in 3D:
Tron, Yogi Bear, Narnia, Tangled

and the “longest running” movie this year at 166 weeks and still running (Despicable Me) as well.

If this keeps up, Rockaway will have to upgrade a few more systems to handle it.

lfreimauer
lfreimauer on December 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Expect low attendance for this film in Rockaway. Will do well at the Claridge in Montclair.

moviebuff82 on December 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I agree mike. Five 3D screens on Xmas Day, will show 5 3D movies, which I think is a record for this theater. Tangled 3D and Tron 3D are the only true 3D features while the other 3 are fake 3D. The King’s Speech will be playing at this theater as well. It has gotten some of the best reviews out of any movie this winter. How it will survive at this theater will depend on word-of-mouth, awards, and star power.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 20, 2010 at 7:07 pm

USA TODAY,Dec 20 2010 has an article on it Justin [Tron]. I think I have TALKED myself into seeing “TRUE GRIT”.I can only hope it has been deicated to the Duke.

moviebuff82 on December 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Surprisingly, Tron outgrossed its predecessor by a lot. 24% of the film’s grosses came from the IMAX showings. Judging from some people that I talked to, there are mixed reviews. Hopefully Tron is still playing in both 3D and IMAX 3D so I can enjoy watching it instead of that Jack Black movie that was converted into 3D.

moviebuff82 on December 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Megamind in 2d? That sucks. I saw that in 2d. Narnia and Yogi are fake, while Megamind, Tron, and Tangled were filmed in real 3D. I’m planning on seeing Tron in RealD 3D because it’s less expensive than IMAX 3D. Gulliver’s Travels will be in fake 3D and that will not do well. If you see Tron 2, JJD, let me know if the 3D is good. I heard that the 3D doesn’t kick in the movie until when they enter the virtual world.

JJD
JJD on December 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I think I figured out the answer to my question “How many projectors are (RealD) 3D-capable?” Five…1 Narnia, 1 Tangled, 2 Tron, 1 Yogi. And Megamind in 2D only. Right? Anybody?