Loew's Pitkin Theatre

Brooklyn, NY 11212

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 12, 2004 at 2:17 pm

Thank you William !

William
William on May 12, 2004 at 2:14 pm

Yes, 1619 Broadway is the Brill Building. Thats where my office is located in Manhattan.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 12, 2004 at 1:59 pm

Is / was 1619 Broadway in Manhattan, NYC, the Brill Building ?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 12, 2004 at 1:57 pm

After Loew’s, the Pitkin was operated by Pozin Enterprises, headed by Thomas Pozin with HQ at 1619 Broadway, in New York City.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 12, 2004 at 1:44 pm

The Hopkinson Theater once stood five short blocks to the east of the Pitkin at Hopkinson and Rockaway Avenues. I do not know its size.

I know of no theater that once stood at the once-busy intersection of Pitkin and Rockaway Avenues in Brownsville.

larryb
larryb on May 7, 2004 at 7:23 pm

To orlando: I don’t know how to respond to you directly, I hope you read this. Thanks so much for the prompt response re: opening day at the Pitkin. JUst got off the phone with my dad to tell him. He was going to call his friend who was also in that marching band 75 years ago!! I’ve been looking for that info for 4 years. Thanks again.

Orlando
Orlando on May 7, 2004 at 6:10 pm

The first movie at Loew’s Pitkin was “So This Is College” (MGM) with Elliott Nugent, Robert Montgomery and Sally Starr, all-talking and singing. There was a stage revue (if you want that info, let me know)as well, from the Capitol Theatre. Four De Luxe shows daily at 1:30-3:45-7:00-9:00. It was heralded as LOEW’S AMAZING NEW! PITKIN on Sat. Nov. 9, 1929 at 11 A.M.. Opening Day Prices were 11 a.m.-1 p.m. .35 cents, 1-5 p.m. .50 cents, 5 p.m. to closing .75 cents. Note (Loges slightly higher) Any wages, I say .90 or $1. ?

larryb
larryb on May 7, 2004 at 3:08 pm

Does anyone know what was the first movie shown at the Pitkin in 1929. My father played in a marching band at the opening and would like to know what the picture was. Thank you. Send to

Orlando
Orlando on March 4, 2004 at 11:42 am

Even though not considered a “Wonder Theatre”, the Pitkin was advertised as such in many ads in the Brooklyn Eagle when it first opened. When I spoke to a original Loew executive, he told me the “Wonder Theatre” was an advertising tool of the then in-house publicity team that were employed at the Loew’s State building in New York. Seeing the building while it was open and many times since closed, I was able to get in two years ago, and it is now truly an atmospheric theatre now that the ceiling has collapsed into the orchestra. In addition, the auditorium looked like the “Titanic” that had risen with the water damage intense. It is beyond saving except for the original four exterior walls that still look majestic. It is safe to assume that this theatre was also “extremely vandalized” and not buy locals but people who knew the value of the treasures within. All that was left of the grand staircase was the steel frame, minus the marble steps, bannisters, light fixtures and the lions on the staircase levels leading to the balcony. It was a sad sight to see. The Parkway Theatre (aka Ronley) nearby is in much better shape.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 22, 2004 at 9:19 am

Loew’s Pitkin was one of architect Thomas Lamb’s most beautiful “atmospheric” designs and first opened in November, 1929, with a combination policy of feature movie and vaudeville. As far as I know, the Pitkin was one of only three Brooklyn theatres in the “atmospheric” style, the others being the Loew’s 46th Street (originally known as the Universal Theatre) and the Fortway. Have I missed any?

William
William on November 15, 2003 at 11:11 am

The Loew’s Pitkin Theatre is located at 1501 Pitkin Ave. and it seated 2827 people.

William
William on November 1, 2002 at 1:28 pm

The Pitkin Theatre was not one of the five Wonder theatres that Loew’s built. The real five wonder theatres were:
Loew’s 175th Street (Manhattan)
Loew’s Paradise (Bronx)
Loew’s Kings (Brooklyn)
Loew’s Valencia (Queens)
Loew’s Jersey (Jersey City)