Ziegfeld Theatre

Showing 3,576 - 3,600 of 3,969 comments

RobertR
RobertR on August 26, 2005 at 6:04 pm

1970 saw 2001 at the Ziegfeld

justme
justme on August 22, 2005 at 5:44 am

I’ll be in NYC in November (18-26) and was wondering what might be playing during this time. Any assistance would be appreciated. Also, do you need to purchase tickets in advance or can you get them at the door!!

Thanks….

ErikH
ErikH on August 20, 2005 at 8:04 am

Interesting ad in tomorrow’s Times for “The Baxter.” Produced and released by IFC, it will be playing exclusively in Clearview theaters throughout the NYC metro area starting next Friday. Corporate synergy at work. The ad highlights the engagement at the IFC Center, but the list of Clearview theaters in Manhattan showing the film includes the 62nd & Broadway cinema and the Ziegfeld. Even though the film seems a better fit for the IFC Center than the Ziegfeld, it’s odd to see the IFC Center favored over the Ziegfeld (not to mention a film screening simultaneously at the Ziegfeld and the 62nd & Broadway cinema).

br91975
br91975 on August 6, 2005 at 2:49 am

Probably the only reason ‘The Island’ is still showing at the Ziegfeld is a contractual obligation between Clearview and Dreamworks, obligating it to be shown for a certain number of weeks.

Speaking of ‘The Dukes of Hazzard’ cinematic re-do, can anyone explain to me why theatre owners in the NYC area gave this film the usual booking treatment (multiple screen runs at select venues, openings in every booking zone, etc)? Not to sound like a complete NYC, blue-state snob (O.K., I guess I AM being a complete NYC, blue-state snob), but where did they suppose the audience is in the area for this film? If there is an audience for this film, I’d think it would be in the red states (and hopefully the folks in the red states will prove me wrong on this and not go see it this weekend)…

Vito
Vito on August 5, 2005 at 3:34 pm

Aw Bill, let’s not forget “Dukes of Hazard”, a relative talked me into taking him to a Warners screening, makes “Island” look like “Gone With the Wind”,God awful movie. They just get worse and worse.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 5, 2005 at 6:57 am

Now I’m really depressed – the march of film history as it progresses from Oklahoma to West Side Story to Fiddler on the Roof to … The Island.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on August 5, 2005 at 6:53 am

Sounds like a roadshow to me. Oklahoma, West Side Story and Fiddler had 3 shows a day on weekends at the Rivoli I believe.

Vito
Vito on August 5, 2005 at 3:11 am

Yeah, like they need the time between shows to handle the crowds.
I never understood the small amount of showings per day at that theatre.

ErikH
ErikH on August 5, 2005 at 2:54 am

Just glanced at today’s “Island” ad in the Times. The number of daily screenings at the Ziegfeld (and yes, the ad states DLP) is down to three; the last showing starts at the absurdly early hour of 8:15 pm. At least Clearview decided to not to close the Ziegfeld until the next attraction.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on August 4, 2005 at 5:16 pm

I guess he plays in the combo.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 4, 2005 at 4:00 pm

No orchestra, just a string quartet. And a jazz combo that plays on Saturday nights. Not.

Coate
Coate on August 4, 2005 at 11:40 am

Sorry…wrong link provided a couple of posts ago re the “Sky High” DLP shows. Here is the correct one.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on August 4, 2005 at 5:36 am

I know someone who ushers at the Ziegfeld and is in the orchestra. I am surprised to hear they have an orchestra at this theater because it’s clearly not old enough to have been built for stage presentation.

umbaba
umbaba on August 4, 2005 at 3:48 am

Posters….Re: “Island” DLP.

I saw the film in NJ in 35MM an excellent print, but let me save you all who are debating where to see it…it is a horrible film, a complete bore, lousy acting, bad story, worse directing. Action scenes you’ve seen 200,000 times. Seeing it in DLP wouldn’t help your experience believe me, Ziegfeld or not…skip this one, wait for the DVD

Coate
Coate on August 4, 2005 at 1:00 am

“The DLP website doesn’t indicate a DLP Ziegfeld booking either. Check it out at DLP.com, but then again, they don’t have the Loews Rio venue as having it either”

Is this the Rio in Gaithersburg, MD?

The dlp.com site notes only a fraction of the DLP shows for the current titles in release, “The Island,” “Sky High,” and “Episode III.” A more comprehensive source for digital projection screenings I’d recommend (pardon the plug) is at the www.FromScriptToDVD.com website.

BobT
BobT on August 3, 2005 at 6:28 am

I’m looking at this past Sunday’s New York Post (July 31,2005) and the ad for “The Island” has The Ziegfeld listed first with a box around it and the DPL logo. The only other theatre listed as DPL is the ADM’s Pavilion Theatre in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

ErikH
ErikH on August 3, 2005 at 4:49 am

I disagree about the Times. I had been considering seeing “The Island” at the Ziegfeld during its first week of release but had difficulty fitting a screening into my schedule (and decided against seeing it after hearing bad word of mouth). I checked the Times' ads for “The Island” daily during that first week, and each edition indicated that the Ziegfeld (and Loews 34th Street) were presenting the film digitally in Manhattan.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on August 3, 2005 at 4:41 am

The DLP website doesn’t indicate a DLP Ziegfeld booking either. Check it out at DLP.com, but then again, they don’t have the Loews Rio venue as having it either, yet they advertise a DLP showing of it.

Coate
Coate on August 3, 2005 at 4:37 am

“The advertisements in the NY Times for ‘The Island’ have consistently stated DLP for the screenings at the Ziegfeld.”

No, it hasn’t. For a period of time, Loews 34th Street was the Manhattan venue advertising DLP. And none of the online ticket ordering services that I’ve checked have indicated DLP for the Ziegfeld, either. Nor has Clearview’s page for the Ziegfeld been indicating DLP.

Which NYC area DLP shows are noted in today’s NY TIMES?

Vito
Vito on August 3, 2005 at 3:56 am

“The Island” will limp along till “The Great Raid” opens Aug 12th

ErikH
ErikH on August 3, 2005 at 2:53 am

The advertisements in the NY Times for “The Island” have consistently stated DLP for the screenings at the Ziegfeld.

Given the fast flop of “The Island” I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ziegfeld will soon go dark temporarily—-which as other posters have noted, has happened from time to time over the years.

Coate
Coate on August 2, 2005 at 5:43 pm

Anyone see “The Island” here at the Ziegfeld? If so, did they show it on film or in DLP Digital Projection? There seems to be some confusion over what format is being shown.

RobertR