Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 3,576 - 3,600 of 4,046 comments

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 1, 2005 at 3:26 am

My Dad grew up in The Bronx in the 1940’s and used to talk about dish nights and how at some point there’d be the sound of someone dropping their set followed by a responsive rise in the crowd. He grew up on 167th between Tiffany and Fox and most frequently mentioned the Loew’s Spooner and the Boulevard Theater as frequent destinations along with the occasional trip to the grand Loew’s Paradise on the Concourse. Those were certainly different days… and I wish I could’ve had a taste of the movie-going experience from back then.

Vito
Vito on December 1, 2005 at 1:53 am

Gustavelifting, no, can’t say that I had. Each week a new part of a compete set of dishes were given out, most people returned week after week in order to complete their set.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 30, 2005 at 5:18 pm

Vito;
I heard tell many people would drop dishes during dish nights. Did that ever happen on your watch?

Vito
Vito on November 28, 2005 at 7:54 am

$2 Dave? Now I know I’m old, when I ushered it was 25 cents and we got free dishes every Monday and Wednesday. I gotta go take a nap now, where is that ole rockin chair anyway?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on November 28, 2005 at 7:34 am

When I started as an usher in 1968 tickets were about $2. An increase to $12.50 over nearly thirty-eight years is not unreasonable.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 28, 2005 at 6:56 am

Hopefully Rent will be a hit for the Ziegfeld. The movie is wonderful despite some negative reviews. I would have loved to have seen it at this theater.
I saw it here in NC at a new chain, Epic Theatres which is a top noche chain.(Unlike Carmike The Worst) They have 5 theaters so far and are building more in Florida. They recently purchased a small United Artist theater down the street from where they opened the areas first stadium seat theater.

Vito
Vito on November 23, 2005 at 3:35 am

Vincent make a very good point, most theatre owners and studio bosses would agree, todays movie prices are in line with the rising cost of just about everything today. Of course, some of my friends still scold me for the cost of tickets like it’s my fault.
Movie passes make great stocking stuffers!

chconnol
chconnol on November 23, 2005 at 2:36 am

$12.50, eh? I remember my Mother being shocked, SHOCKED going to see “Rocky” at the big, old, grand Lynbrook theater and having to shell out a whopping $4.00.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on November 22, 2005 at 11:14 am

Well 12.50 for an exclusive engagement reserved seat is an absolute bargain. Remember My Fair Lady at the Criterion was $5.50 for the mezz in ‘64. That would without exageration would be close to $50 today(and if I could see that or Lawrence in 70mm today at the Criterion I’d pay it without blinking an eye.)
After all this was close to half the price of a top ticket to Dolly of Fiddler at the time and when you consider that tickets to musicals are $110 today it makes sense.
But then most seats in the orchestra today are premium prices which range from $250 to $500.
So if you wanted to sell a premium seat to a road show film this would cost you over $100. After all premium seating is simply legalized scalping.
$12.50 at the Ziegfeld in today’s loony pricing scheme when you come down to it is dirt cheap.

Vito
Vito on November 22, 2005 at 6:36 am

Ed, I second that, both screenigs I attended of The Producers had audiences going wild. Rent is another holiday must see. Going to see King Kong in two weeks, all three hours of it, hopefully it won’t be dissapointing. With Harry Potter raking in over 100 mill last weekend, my industry friends are telling me the holiday movie season is off to a great start. By the way, did you get a chance to meet Mel Brooks at one of the Producers screenings? he attended both of the ones I attended and was very gracious and a real cut up.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on November 22, 2005 at 4:29 am

Well, I’ve seen Rent and The Producers, and both films are extremely entertaining. The Ziegfeld will be a glorious place to experience both.

chconnol
chconnol on November 22, 2005 at 2:47 am

“The Producers” looks terrible and so does “Rent”. With a past loaded with great musicals, why the HELL can’t someone get it right? The arguement is that todays “kids” won’t believe the musical the way it used to be presented. WRONG. Kids by the millions watch non stop musicals all day on MTV and it’s various channels.

Pauline Kael once said in the late 60’s that the time then was ripe to create more musicals with the present (then) rock stars like Janis Joplin. That’s what made the musicals of the 30s, 40s and 50s successful: they were populated with the top recording artists of the day (Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney, Crosby et. al.). That’s what the studios could do: setup a musical with one or many of today’s contemporary recording artists. This would probably not appeal to some of the older generation on this site (sorry…I do NOT mean this at all as an insult but it’s the truth…you’re not going to see or even want to see the likes of Britney Spears, Sheryl Crowe or a Justin Timberlake crooning a 50s ditty).

The studios lack the creative nerve to do something like this. If someone took the dare to create a really good musical, it would be a blockbuster. Christ, look at “Purple Rain” back in 1984. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but it was pretty good.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on November 21, 2005 at 10:57 pm

HA! 12.50 will be here to stay in Manhattan! Another sneaky trick to raise prices and eventually chase more people away!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 21, 2005 at 12:42 am

They are having the premiere of Rent tonight.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 15, 2005 at 9:08 am

I love seeing the long lines down 54th Street when this place has a hot booking; everybody there is thrilled to be seeing a picture at the city’s only remaining movie palace.

ErikH
ErikH on November 15, 2005 at 6:28 am

According to the Clearview website, the inflated prices will only last for as long as the Ziegfeld shows “The Producers” exclusively (12/16 to 12/24). Ticket prices will be reduced to $10.75 starting on Christmas Day, when the film moves into wider release.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 15, 2005 at 3:59 am

Whether or not The Producers is any good, I am happy to see an exclusive booking here for a change, even at inflated roadshow prices. I wonder if that old showman Mel Brooks had anything to do with the booking.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 15, 2005 at 12:53 am

Inside word is that the film isn’t very good and by the looks of the preview I agree. The sets look terrible.

ErikH
ErikH on November 14, 2005 at 4:57 pm

I passed by the Ziegfeld today and noticed that the theater is now selling tickets for the exclusive engagement of “The Producers” starting on December 16. Close to round the clock shows are scheduled for the opening weekend: the first show starts at 9:15 a.m. and the last show at 1:30 a.m.

Just as the Broadway version set a new ticket high of $100, the film version is doing the same for movie admissions. All seats for all performances (no senior or children discounts and, of course, no bargain matinees): $12.50.

ErikH
ErikH on November 11, 2005 at 6:15 am

Regarding the above post about films that played the Ziegfeld. “Victor/Victoria,” “Hair,” and each of the three “That’s Entertainment” films played there (all of which were initially at the Ziegfeld on an exclusive basis).

Not sure about “Ishtar” but I don’t believe that “The Wiz” was shown at the Ziegfeld; the Manhattan first run engagements of “The Wiz” were at Loews theaters, including the Astor Plaza.

sutiivun4
sutiivun4 on November 8, 2005 at 11:54 am

Does anyone know when the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire premiere will start/end? any information would be appreciated
email:

frankie
frankie on November 7, 2005 at 9:23 am

I loved going to the Ziegfeld to see “The Wiz”, “Hair”, “Victor/Victoria”, “That’s Entertainment III”, and even “Ishtar” !!! Sure hope they get “Rent” and/or “The Producers” ! I’d go in a New York minute !!!

ErikH
ErikH on October 31, 2005 at 9:55 am

“The Producers” is slated to open exclusively in NY and LA on December 16 prior to a limited expansion on Christmas Day (to approx 1,200 screens) and full expansion on January 13. So the Ziegfeld may show “The Producers” exclusively in NYC between December 16 and 25.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on October 31, 2005 at 8:38 am

Rent and The Producers will also play at one of the multiplexes on 42nd street so the theater crowds will most likely go there. Will be interesting to see how big a crowd is drawn to the Ziegfeld because of the theater.

hardbop
hardbop on October 31, 2005 at 8:32 am

I walked by the theater on Saturday on my way to MoMA and the Ziegfeld is indeed dark. The turkey ELIZABETHTOWN played there and tanked so now the Ziegfeld is closed. They’ll fire up the boiler and projecter mid month for RENT. They are also going to show THE PRODUCERS.

Both films' names are listed on the marquee.