Embassy Theater

3208 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11208

chastom
chastom on May 28, 2006 at 9:59 am

There isn’t much left of the old neighborhood, except the old Hamburg Bank (now North Fork) and the old drugstores on Fulton St—Mellor’s and Adelphi (not the same owners). The Showboat is a supermarket and the Cypress Hills Swimming Pool is a public school. The little Haven Theater (I know it was a dump) is a junky variety store and even Lewis' of Woodhaven (where you could get anything) is gone. F K Lane is still there, but it’s like an armed camp during the day. I remember people parking their convertible cars with the tops down on those streets and no one would think about touching them. Those were the good old days. We didn’t have VCRs, DVRs or computers, but we made our own fun playing ball in the streets. Charlie.

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on May 28, 2006 at 7:22 am

Thanks for the update. That is all really close to my home. In all my travels I have never met anyone from there at that time period. As you know,the neighborhood broke apart and everyone scattered .Sadly,all the movie theatre’s closed . I have been back a few times but there is hardly a trace of the wonderful times I remember. I am glad that this site offers many shared memories . Robbie

PKoch
PKoch on May 25, 2006 at 5:07 pm

I was born in Bushwick, in Evangelical Deaconess Hospital, 615 Chauncey Street, corner of Broadway, but mostly grew up at 1668 Cornelia Street, near Cypress and Myrtle Avenues, in Ridgewood.

The doctor who delivered me, Joseph Berman, had his office at, I think, 25 Logan Street.

My aunt, my father’s sister, graduated Franklin K. Lane in 1947. She lived with my dad and their parents on Bushwick Avenue at the time, near Pilling Street. Sometime between 1956 and 1963 they moved to 169 Chestnut Street in Cypress Hills. They moved from there to Woodhaven in summer 1968, and lived there the rest of their lives.

In January 1975 I got to know Joe Bettinger of 16 Grant Avenue and Laura Messina of Autumn Avenue. Joe lived at 195 Lincoln Avenue before moving upstate to Saugerties, NY the summer of 1979. I next saw him in May 1980 at the Redemptorist seminary at Suffield, Connecticut, near the Massachusetts border, when he had changed from pharmacy as a career to studying for the Catholic priesthood.

I next saw Joe the summer of 1982 when he was visiting his parents at 16 Grant Avenue. I think he’d already been ordained to the priesthood at Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on May 25, 2006 at 12:19 am

i was born in 46. st michaels was on liberty and jerome. it was best known for the girls high school but the grade school was right next door. later, we moved to autumn ave and i went to F.K.Lane and attended Blessed Sacrament but sadly, i played hooky at The Logan Pool Hall many Sunday’s … wher did you live etc….robbie

PKoch
PKoch on May 24, 2006 at 4:06 pm

Hi robbie dupree, thanks for joining in the fun ? Were you born in 1955, like me, or are you older ? Where was st.michaels grammar school ? Were you and your family St. Michael’s parishioners, as opposed to Blessed Sacrament and St. Rita’s ?

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on May 24, 2006 at 3:59 pm

many great memories for me. i lived on arlington ave. from 55'-63. attended st.michaels grammar school and marched to the embassy many times with classmates and the nuns to see movies like The Robe and Miracle at Fatima..school trips..also, so many saturday matinee’s..love to hear from anyone from that time…robbiedupree

PKoch
PKoch on May 17, 2006 at 4:21 pm

More power to you, onni ! May you live another eighty to ninety years !

onni
onni on May 17, 2006 at 4:03 pm

I went to the Embassy during the 1930’s also the Warwick and the Gem formally the Adelphi. The Warwick had a nickname “The Garlic Opera House”.The 2 features plus newsreel & coming attractions were continous giving rise to the announcement “ This is where we came in”.The theaters gave away chinaware sets, a piece at a time. Then you would hear a crash as a dinner plate would slide off some ladys lap.My 80 year old Grandmother would go to the evening show, walk home alone not at all worried about being mugged robbed or murdered!I went to PS65 and St Peters Lutheran Church (services in English & German)A great neighborhood !!!

PKoch
PKoch on January 30, 2006 at 7:14 pm

Those are great movies and great memories, Raym. Thanks for posting them.

Raybo
Raybo on January 26, 2006 at 1:56 am

As a kid, I remember my mom taking me to see a double feature at the Embassy (1958) of “The BLob” and “I Married a Monster from Outer Space”. The candy counter was always located on the left as you entered the theater. They sold Van Houten Chocolate Bars in 3 flavors, Milk chocolate, Semi-Sweet and Orange. They also sold some great cough drops called “Gem”?. My Dad took me to see “Journey to the Center of the Earth” along with some rock and roll movie with Ray Charles in it. “Requiem For A Heavyweight” played there and I think a movie called “The Last Angry Man”.

chastom
chastom on December 18, 2005 at 4:29 pm

Mom & Pop’s was across from The Embassy. My sister and I would get a bag of potato chips and a box of stick pretzels for 10 cents and take them into The Embassy on a Saturday afternoon. We would sometimes go to Mom & Pop’s for lunch and get a soup and sandwich for 50 cents (PS 65 is around the corner on Richmond). Wilken’s ice cream parlor was on Fulton between Pine and Euclid. They made great sundaes and ice cream sodas.

chastom
chastom on December 18, 2005 at 4:17 pm

Adelphi Drug Store is located at 3350 Fulton in a row of commercial/residential properties. The Gem was across the street that is now the parking lot of North Fork Bank (originally the Hamburg Savings Bank). I believe the Gem was torn down in the mid 1950’s.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on December 18, 2005 at 1:32 pm

From 1932 Brooklyn Yellow Pages, then Donnelly’s Red Book.

Adelphi Theatre 3356 Fulton
APplegate 7-7547

chastom
chastom on December 18, 2005 at 12:24 am

Embassy Theater was located on Fulton & Richmond Streets in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn 11208. It had an orchestra section, loge (today’s mezzanine) and a balcony. Decor was red carpeting and curtain with gold tooling all around. In the late 1950’s early 1960’s kids could get in for 35-40 cents from 12 noon to 5 pm on Saturdays. That was usually two movies, cartoons, Movietone newsreel and coming attractions. The regular movie would start after 5 pm. Movies were shown Wed-Sun. Always a double bill. Many movies were shown on Mon and Tues only. Remember seeing The Great Caruso and Showboat one Monday afternoon with my parents' permission. It was a cultural experience. Everytime I pass that Senior Citizen’s Center on the site I still have fond memories of many Saturday afternoons at The Embassy and still see the theater in my mind. Miss those days.

tapeshare
tapeshare on November 19, 2005 at 2:04 pm

For those interested is seeing pictures of the area and the
theater, you can visit http://www.tapeshare.com/ENY.html

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 1, 2005 at 11:02 pm

I had trouble finding this theater because the city has it listed as 3194 Fulton Street. The C/O on a newly constructed building was issued on April 17, 1928. Purpose of building: 1473 seat motion picture theater. The owner is listed as Elbee Corp and the architect was H.G. Wiseman.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on August 14, 2005 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for the information and your speedy reply, Lost Memory.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on August 14, 2005 at 3:14 pm

Doug….The property report that I posted above comes from a real estate website. It is a “private” site that requires a password. There are two NYC sites that anyone can use. The first site will convert an address to a block and lot number which you will need to use on the second site. Both of these sites are down alot especially on weekends. On the first site you need to know the Borough, House Number, and Street Name. After you enter that info you will receive a Block and Lot number to use on the next website. On that second website click Parcel Identifier and enter the required info.

This is the site to convert an address to a Block and Lot number. And Here is the site with the actual records.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on August 14, 2005 at 2:10 pm

Lost Memory, How could I locate the URL for city property records? Thanks.

mariewn
mariewn on July 26, 2005 at 4:45 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the Embassy??
Would really like one if there’s one out there from 50’s to 60’s.

johnnyd53
johnnyd53 on July 26, 2005 at 2:01 pm

I grew up in the Cypress Hills area in the late 50’s and early 60’s and spent many hours at the Embassy. I don’t see that anyone has mentioned one feature that I fondly recall. At the top of the building, they had a huge billboard that displayed what was showing now or what was coming next depending on which was the better draw. The neat thing was that the el track on Fulton Street made the sign virtually invisible unless you were actually riding into or out of the Crescent St station. As shows turned over quite frequently, it was always exciting as a kid to look out the train window to determine what was going on at the Embassy. As I recall, “big” movies would play on a Wed to Sun basis with a possible extension while minor ones were sometimes there only for a Mon – Tues run. That billboard guy was pretty busy!

KarlB
KarlB on February 26, 2005 at 5:01 pm

I’m sorry but I can’t help with the Adelphi Theater. From what I have seen at this site there were several theaters that changed their names over the years. I was never aware of that. Both the Embassy and the Gem always always went by the names that I knew.

cjdv
cjdv on February 26, 2005 at 2:11 am

The Concord Theatre is listed in “The American Motion Picture Directory : a Cyclopedic Directory of the Motion Picture Industry 1914-15” (Fulton & Richmond is the address given). The Film Daily Yearbook (1926 & 1927) gives the address as 3208 Fulton Street. Both editions place seating capacity at 600. The Embassy is listed in the 1929 Film Daily Yearbook (address given is Fulton and Richmond).

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 26, 2005 at 12:54 am

The “health Center” listed for this address is the Cypress Hills Fulton Street Senior Center. I guess the city uses the term health center to cover senior citizen centers. Anyway, that is the current function.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 26, 2005 at 12:35 am

Ah, Karl B, good to have you on this page. Thanks for being here !

Can you help us out with the Adelphi Theater, a silent movie theater, which may have preceded the Gem Theatre at its selfsame location ?