Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 3,876 - 3,900 of 4,002 comments

William
William on August 5, 2004 at 8:23 pm

You might try to find out from the theatre itself or watch for new reports on major film opening there. The Chinese Theatre lists up and coming events at their parent companies web site Mann Theatres.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 5, 2004 at 5:44 pm

Does anybody know how to be at the red carpet part of movie premieres?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 5, 2004 at 5:40 pm

Great. It’s been that way ever since I have been on Cinema Treasures.

William
William on August 5, 2004 at 5:13 pm

Every few days they go through the comments people make and update info on theatres on the site.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 5, 2004 at 5:04 pm

How do we get Cinema Treasures to update the status of this theater to open. Why it is showing closed/renovationg is beyond me.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 5, 2004 at 4:46 pm

Isnt there a way when you or anyone can stand outside to see the red carpet part of the premiere?

joemasher
joemasher on August 5, 2004 at 1:18 am

Movie Premieres are by invite only from the film distributors. They rent the Zieg from us for their event.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 4, 2004 at 11:31 pm

Does anybody know how to get Shows and Dates and Tickets to movie premieres at Ziegfeld??

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 27, 2004 at 2:42 pm

Vito, I can’t I just can’t.It would take me years to get the image out of my head, if ever.
Maybe if they have a swimming competition using a pool on stage which they can then use for the old Eleanor Holmes number.

Vito
Vito on July 27, 2004 at 11:31 am

Vincent, my Italian heritage says it like this,
“I got ya front row tickets rii here” :)
I actually watched a bit of the game on MSN Friday, it’s sorta like a car wreck you pass on the highway, some how you just have to stop and look at it. They had chairs set up in the wings for people to watch the carnage, oops, I mean game and the players were actually gushing about playing on the worlds greatest stage. The whole thing made me sick.

KenF
KenF on July 26, 2004 at 10:51 pm

This is all a revelation to me. On a dollar bill it says “The United States of America” but on a quarter it says only “United States of America.” In which of these places do I live? I feel woozy.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 26, 2004 at 9:56 pm

Hey guys lay off Warren!
Vito, when are we getting those 1st Mezz, 1st row center tickets to the basketball games at the Music Hall? Spike Lee wants to come too! And we all know what a great filmmaker he is and what a great contribution he’s made to american culture.

AndyT
AndyT on July 26, 2004 at 8:52 pm

Ooops —– all in good humor. Really!

AndyT
AndyT on July 26, 2004 at 8:51 pm

I agree that we need to be more sensitive to The Warren.

Vito
Vito on July 26, 2004 at 8:14 pm

Come on guys, you know it upsets Warren when you ad THE to a theatre name. He has told us often enough :)

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 26, 2004 at 5:20 pm

Ziegfeld Theatre is the name, not The Ziegfeld Theatre. See the marquee and wall sign in the photograph for proof of that.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 26, 2004 at 5:09 pm

I urge everyone to write the Ziegfeld and request that they show a 70mm print of My Fair Lady to celebrate it’s 40th anniversary in October.
Also request that they hold a Todd AO 50th Anniversary festival next year kicking it off with a Todd AO print of Sound of Music to celebrate its 40th birthday.
I hope that Robert Wise is already preparing prints for this milestone.
No Sing-a-alongs please though I went to the finale night of this at the Ziegfeld and it was one of the best cinema experieces. It was demented and people behaved as if they were at an absolutely electrifying rock concert. Except of course during the wedding when the entire audience stood in respectful silence as Maria walked down the aisle.

JonTMarin
JonTMarin on July 24, 2004 at 6:59 am

Great place. I worked here in the early 90’s. It had to be 1990 when Prince’s “Graffiti Bridge” premiered. It is my most memorable moment. Prince is my favorite singer and the manager knew this. So she let me go into the theater and give him a Coke. When I walked up to him I boasted about how big of a fan I was. He just giggled and thanked me for the Coke. I came back a lot of times to see “Planet of the Apes”, all the Star Wars movies and many more films. I love this place.

Camden
Camden on July 18, 2004 at 1:05 am

The interior of the Ziegfeld and its lobby are featured in the last scenes of Woody Allen’s “Celebrity” back in ‘98, one of the most underrated movies I can think of. (Allen’s masterpieces weren’t the comparatively tame “Annie Hall” and “Manhattan” back in '77 and '79, they were the incendiary “Deconsructing Harry” and “Celebrity” twenty years later.) Oddly, though, the movie didn’t run at the Ziegfeld (which would have been a truly bizarre experience); the Brad Pitt flop “Meet Joe Black” ran there at the time instead.

Camden

umbaba
umbaba on July 17, 2004 at 2:19 pm

JTH…it is a damn shame too. There is nothing like a 70MM presentation, that will even make bad movies a fine movie memoriy. I saw Staying Alive in 70MM , it was great. It seems that they are relying on this Digital Projection as the new thing and I must tell you I am unimpressed. I saw Attack of the Clones (at the Ziegfeld) in Digital Projection and I was not awed at all. Give me a good 35MM print anyday. In fact the 35MM I saw of Attack of Clones was much better than the digital.

I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 2002 at Ziegfeld in 70MM. AWESOME. Little did I realize that that would be the last one. Movies, as well as presentations are consistently going downhill, thanks to the youth oriented, quick buck making garbage of today.

JHendrickson
JHendrickson on July 17, 2004 at 12:12 am

70mm is a dead issue. Clearview will never spend the $$$ necessary to do it right. Trust me- the Dolan’s don’t give a damn and never will.

umbaba
umbaba on July 11, 2004 at 3:14 pm

In remembrance of Marlon Brando, I can’t help but remember 8/15/79, the premiere of “Apocalypse Now”. Reserved seats were $5.00. I remember the anticipation through the whole film, waiting for Brando to come o, you could feel it in the audience.

In the opening scene, I actually thought there might be a band with a tamboreen (spelling?) behind the screen and that there might be a helicopter in the theater. I had never seen or heard anything like it, all in 70MM 6-track stereo. I can’t believe it was 25 years ago, it seems like yesterday. It’s too bad the Ziegfeld doesn’t show 70MM flims anymore. It was grand theater presentation.

Harold Warshavsky
Harold Warshavsky on July 11, 2004 at 1:51 am

If I remember correctly, when the theatre opened in 1969 weekend evening performances were supposed to be attended with men with sports coats and ties only and women in dresses, but I think this practice only lasted a week or two.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on June 26, 2004 at 6:30 pm

Hi Rhett and fellow readers of Cinema Treasures:

We are aiming for sometime in July or early August for the list to be finished and posted.

Manhattan is pretty well finished. Mike just came back from a short trip to NYC this week and filled in details for missing Long Island engagements (from 1955 to about 1974). He is scheduled to go back to the NYC and NJ next month and will fill in NJ engagements during that same time period. As you know, a lot of 70mm engagements weren’t advertised in the NY Times for NJ and Long Island until around 1974 with a re-issue of “Gone With The Wind.”

We hope you’ll enjoy this list when it’s published. I was going back on my notes and realized we actually started this project in 2002! There’s quite a bit of 70mm presentation that occurred in Manhattan, Long Island and Northern New Jersey. There will be pictures and ads in the publication, as well. Thanks!

umbaba
umbaba on June 26, 2004 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Bill….BTW….how’s your NJ list of 70MM presentations coming?? when will it be available?

Thanks also to Porter.