Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 3,876 - 3,900 of 3,998 comments

dbrusser
dbrusser on August 31, 2004 at 10:29 am

Thank you William. It is the NY premiere that I’m looking for; I forgot to mention it. I’m looking for Paramount’s number now, and with your help I hope I’ll be able to find out about the premiere. Coming from Seattle and only having lived in NY for about a year, I have never seen a “classic” theater such as the Ziegfeld. It is for this reason that I am so curious about finding the date of the “Sky Captain” premiere, even if it is not at the Ziegfeld itself. That, and possibly catching a glimpse of Angelina Jolie. Again, thanks for your help!

William
William on August 26, 2004 at 3:44 pm

The West Coast premiere of “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow” is set for Sept. 14th, at the Chinese Theatre. You should be calling Paramount Publicity to see if there is a New York premiere of the picture. Because they are the ones that are renting the theatres for premieres. Because it’s the publicity departments job to let the press and public known about these events, not the Ziegfeld’s. The Ziegfeld Theatre is just a rental location for the event.

dbrusser
dbrusser on August 26, 2004 at 2:20 pm

Will there be a way to find out about the time and date of the “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Premiere” so that fans can at least attend the red carpet portion of the event? I don’t see why fans should be kept in the dark without any details concerning these events, because after all, isn’t the purpose of a glamorous movie premiere to provide the studio and actors a chance to promote their movies?!?

joemasher
joemasher on August 6, 2004 at 9:54 am

Yes, the lobby cases are exactly as they were.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 6, 2004 at 1:13 am

The heading for the Ziegfeld does not list the architect, and I didn’t see it in all the comments. It was probably the same architect who designed the Burlington House (or whatever they are calling the office building fronting on Sixth Ave. these days), since the theatre was part of that development. However, the original interiors of this Ziegfeld were by Dolly Reade (Mrs. Walter Reade, Jr.) She also redecorated several other Walter Reade theatres.

William
William on August 5, 2004 at 12:23 pm

You might try to find out from the theatre itself or watch for new reports on major film opening there. The Chinese Theatre lists up and coming events at their parent companies web site Mann Theatres.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 5, 2004 at 9:44 am

Does anybody know how to be at the red carpet part of movie premieres?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 5, 2004 at 9:40 am

Great. It’s been that way ever since I have been on Cinema Treasures.

William
William on August 5, 2004 at 9:13 am

Every few days they go through the comments people make and update info on theatres on the site.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 5, 2004 at 9:04 am

How do we get Cinema Treasures to update the status of this theater to open. Why it is showing closed/renovationg is beyond me.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 5, 2004 at 8:46 am

Isnt there a way when you or anyone can stand outside to see the red carpet part of the premiere?

joemasher
joemasher on August 4, 2004 at 5:18 pm

Movie Premieres are by invite only from the film distributors. They rent the Zieg from us for their event.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 4, 2004 at 3:31 pm

Does anybody know how to get Shows and Dates and Tickets to movie premieres at Ziegfeld??

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 27, 2004 at 6:42 am

Vito, I can’t I just can’t.It would take me years to get the image out of my head, if ever.
Maybe if they have a swimming competition using a pool on stage which they can then use for the old Eleanor Holmes number.

Vito
Vito on July 27, 2004 at 3:31 am

Vincent, my Italian heritage says it like this,
“I got ya front row tickets rii here” :)
I actually watched a bit of the game on MSN Friday, it’s sorta like a car wreck you pass on the highway, some how you just have to stop and look at it. They had chairs set up in the wings for people to watch the carnage, oops, I mean game and the players were actually gushing about playing on the worlds greatest stage. The whole thing made me sick.

KenF
KenF on July 26, 2004 at 2:51 pm

This is all a revelation to me. On a dollar bill it says “The United States of America” but on a quarter it says only “United States of America.” In which of these places do I live? I feel woozy.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 26, 2004 at 1:56 pm

Hey guys lay off Warren!
Vito, when are we getting those 1st Mezz, 1st row center tickets to the basketball games at the Music Hall? Spike Lee wants to come too! And we all know what a great filmmaker he is and what a great contribution he’s made to american culture.

AndyT
AndyT on July 26, 2004 at 12:52 pm

Ooops —– all in good humor. Really!

AndyT
AndyT on July 26, 2004 at 12:51 pm

I agree that we need to be more sensitive to The Warren.

Vito
Vito on July 26, 2004 at 12:14 pm

Come on guys, you know it upsets Warren when you ad THE to a theatre name. He has told us often enough :)

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 26, 2004 at 9:09 am

I urge everyone to write the Ziegfeld and request that they show a 70mm print of My Fair Lady to celebrate it’s 40th anniversary in October.
Also request that they hold a Todd AO 50th Anniversary festival next year kicking it off with a Todd AO print of Sound of Music to celebrate its 40th birthday.
I hope that Robert Wise is already preparing prints for this milestone.
No Sing-a-alongs please though I went to the finale night of this at the Ziegfeld and it was one of the best cinema experieces. It was demented and people behaved as if they were at an absolutely electrifying rock concert. Except of course during the wedding when the entire audience stood in respectful silence as Maria walked down the aisle.

JonTMarin
JonTMarin on July 23, 2004 at 10:59 pm

Great place. I worked here in the early 90’s. It had to be 1990 when Prince’s “Graffiti Bridge” premiered. It is my most memorable moment. Prince is my favorite singer and the manager knew this. So she let me go into the theater and give him a Coke. When I walked up to him I boasted about how big of a fan I was. He just giggled and thanked me for the Coke. I came back a lot of times to see “Planet of the Apes”, all the Star Wars movies and many more films. I love this place.

Camden
Camden on July 17, 2004 at 5:05 pm

The interior of the Ziegfeld and its lobby are featured in the last scenes of Woody Allen’s “Celebrity” back in ‘98, one of the most underrated movies I can think of. (Allen’s masterpieces weren’t the comparatively tame “Annie Hall” and “Manhattan” back in '77 and '79, they were the incendiary “Deconsructing Harry” and “Celebrity” twenty years later.) Oddly, though, the movie didn’t run at the Ziegfeld (which would have been a truly bizarre experience); the Brad Pitt flop “Meet Joe Black” ran there at the time instead.

Camden

umbaba
umbaba on July 17, 2004 at 6:19 am

JTH…it is a damn shame too. There is nothing like a 70MM presentation, that will even make bad movies a fine movie memoriy. I saw Staying Alive in 70MM , it was great. It seems that they are relying on this Digital Projection as the new thing and I must tell you I am unimpressed. I saw Attack of the Clones (at the Ziegfeld) in Digital Projection and I was not awed at all. Give me a good 35MM print anyday. In fact the 35MM I saw of Attack of Clones was much better than the digital.

I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 2002 at Ziegfeld in 70MM. AWESOME. Little did I realize that that would be the last one. Movies, as well as presentations are consistently going downhill, thanks to the youth oriented, quick buck making garbage of today.

JHendrickson
JHendrickson on July 16, 2004 at 4:12 pm

70mm is a dead issue. Clearview will never spend the $$$ necessary to do it right. Trust me- the Dolan’s don’t give a damn and never will.