Ziegfeld Theatre

Showing 3,901 - 3,925 of 4,040 comments

RobertR
RobertR on November 29, 2004 at 4:11 pm

Sad to say New York will probably never see Cinerama again :(

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on November 29, 2004 at 3:54 pm

Yep the ‘73 presentation of Cinerma was pretty bad(and never having seen a Cinerama movie I was looking forward to it. 63 feet for Cinerama and no curtain?!) Check out Vincent Canby Sunday Arts and Leisure piece in the Times when it came out. Will someone in New York please do it right?

veyoung52
veyoung52 on November 26, 2004 at 2:30 am

Just a few quick notes about Walter Reade, Jr. and his Ziegfeld. First, oldtimers might remember Reade as the first person Skouras and Fox went after legally in 1954 when Reade refused to run Fox scope films with 4-track mag. He had purchased so-called “integrators” which mixed the 4 channels down into one thus obviating the need and expense of 2 extra stage speakers as well as surrounds. For a number of years, Reade, as an executive of Allied States (independent theatre owner organization) fervently went tooth-and-nail against the Fox 4-channel policy. This is odd considering that this is the same man who a few short years later foisted the ridiculous AromaRama on a largely uninterested world. Later, his distribution arm, Continental, bought the rights to a 70mm documentary. Reade had it reprinted in something called “Wonderama” and ran the film as “Mediterranean Holiday” in a few houses in North Jersey. He even released it “in Cinerama” where it played the Warner for a short period. Later on, Reade was elected to the Board of Directors of Cinerama, Inc. and announced that Cinerama would run at his newly reopened DeMille. This never happened. In 1967, when plans for the Ziegfeld were announced, he claimed it would, too, be a 70mm Cinerama house. Also, according to a press release in the NY Times 12/22/67, “the theater will require formal attire on Saturday nights."
As for the 70mm version of "This Is Cinerama,” the free-standing screen (measuring 27x63 feet) stood where the main curtain – which had to be removed – was located. Lights were shown on the screen to represent curtains, even to the extent of “draping” the prologue. This was a trick which was used for a time at the Times Square Paramount when the width of the original VistaVision screen left no room for screen curtains or masking.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on October 11, 2004 at 6:10 am

Dear Cinema Treasures Readers,

After years of research, Michael Coate and I are proud to announce that “70mm In NY” has been posted on our site, www.fromscripttodvd.com

To navigate directly to this part of the site, copy and paste the following into your browser:

We’ve included a number of interesting features about “70mm In NY,” including an introductory article about the history of 70mm In NY; a theatre list of 70mm equipped houses; a list of the longest running 70mm engagements in NY, and much, much more.

We feel the most exciting part of the site is the list of 70mm engagements. You can click on any year from 1955 through 2004 and find out information on which films played in the NYC-region in 70mm.

As we’ve seen on this wonderful site, there are quite a few 70mm fans from the New York/New Jersey region, and we hope that you will enjoy this look back on 70mm presentation in your area.

There are some sections of “70mm In NY” that are coming soon, so we please check back.

We encourage your feedback.

Best regards,
William Kallay
Michael Coate
“70mm In NY”

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 15, 2004 at 8:57 pm

Dbrusser, in my humble opinion, the Ziegfeld is not a “classic” movie theatre. If you want to see one of those, you should go to the Times Square Church on West 51st Street, just off Broadway, which is open to everyone during church services. This theatre was originally known as the Hollywood and designed by Thomas W. Lamb, one of the masters. And if you’re willing to take a subway or bus uptown, visit the ex-Loew’s 175th Street, an even larger movie palace and also designed by Lamb. It’s also a church and open to the public during services.

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on September 15, 2004 at 8:53 pm

You are a real winning combo,CaptRonLI….a New Yorker and a romantic too. Keep up the romance.

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 15, 2004 at 8:08 pm

Love this movie theater because I proposed to my wife there two days after Christmas, 2002, right before seeing “Chicago.” I went to the concession stand, bought a huge bucket of popcorn, wrapped the ring box in napkins and stuck it down near the top. I got to the seat, she went to grab a handful and pulled out the box. I got down on one knee and said, “Jill, I love you so much. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” Of course, she said yes and everybody around us applauded….

….until this jerk is standing behind me, saying “EXCUSE ME, CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!?” The rest of the audience around us started yelling at him. “Hey, shuddup, buddy…he’s proposing to his girlfriend!” “Yeah, you moron!”

Ah, this is why I’m proud to be a New Yorker.

dbrusser
dbrusser on August 31, 2004 at 6:29 pm

Thank you William. It is the NY premiere that I’m looking for; I forgot to mention it. I’m looking for Paramount’s number now, and with your help I hope I’ll be able to find out about the premiere. Coming from Seattle and only having lived in NY for about a year, I have never seen a “classic” theater such as the Ziegfeld. It is for this reason that I am so curious about finding the date of the “Sky Captain” premiere, even if it is not at the Ziegfeld itself. That, and possibly catching a glimpse of Angelina Jolie. Again, thanks for your help!

William
William on August 26, 2004 at 11:44 pm

The West Coast premiere of “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow” is set for Sept. 14th, at the Chinese Theatre. You should be calling Paramount Publicity to see if there is a New York premiere of the picture. Because they are the ones that are renting the theatres for premieres. Because it’s the publicity departments job to let the press and public known about these events, not the Ziegfeld’s. The Ziegfeld Theatre is just a rental location for the event.

dbrusser
dbrusser on August 26, 2004 at 10:20 pm

Will there be a way to find out about the time and date of the “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Premiere” so that fans can at least attend the red carpet portion of the event? I don’t see why fans should be kept in the dark without any details concerning these events, because after all, isn’t the purpose of a glamorous movie premiere to provide the studio and actors a chance to promote their movies?!?

joemasher
joemasher on August 6, 2004 at 5:54 pm

Yes, the lobby cases are exactly as they were.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 6, 2004 at 4:28 pm

I haven’t been in the Ziegfeld recently. Are the lobby display cases with relics of the legendary “Ziegfeld Era” still there? I believe that most of the contents were on loan from the Ziegfeld Club, which is a charitable group that helps ex-showgirls and other showbiz old-timers.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 6, 2004 at 9:13 am

The heading for the Ziegfeld does not list the architect, and I didn’t see it in all the comments. It was probably the same architect who designed the Burlington House (or whatever they are calling the office building fronting on Sixth Ave. these days), since the theatre was part of that development. However, the original interiors of this Ziegfeld were by Dolly Reade (Mrs. Walter Reade, Jr.) She also redecorated several other Walter Reade theatres.

William
William on August 5, 2004 at 8:23 pm

You might try to find out from the theatre itself or watch for new reports on major film opening there. The Chinese Theatre lists up and coming events at their parent companies web site Mann Theatres.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 5, 2004 at 5:44 pm

Does anybody know how to be at the red carpet part of movie premieres?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 5, 2004 at 5:40 pm

Great. It’s been that way ever since I have been on Cinema Treasures.

William
William on August 5, 2004 at 5:13 pm

Every few days they go through the comments people make and update info on theatres on the site.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 5, 2004 at 5:04 pm

How do we get Cinema Treasures to update the status of this theater to open. Why it is showing closed/renovationg is beyond me.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 5, 2004 at 4:46 pm

Isnt there a way when you or anyone can stand outside to see the red carpet part of the premiere?

joemasher
joemasher on August 5, 2004 at 1:18 am

Movie Premieres are by invite only from the film distributors. They rent the Zieg from us for their event.

spidey089
spidey089 on August 4, 2004 at 11:31 pm

Does anybody know how to get Shows and Dates and Tickets to movie premieres at Ziegfeld??

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 27, 2004 at 2:42 pm

Vito, I can’t I just can’t.It would take me years to get the image out of my head, if ever.
Maybe if they have a swimming competition using a pool on stage which they can then use for the old Eleanor Holmes number.

Vito
Vito on July 27, 2004 at 11:31 am

Vincent, my Italian heritage says it like this,
“I got ya front row tickets rii here” :)
I actually watched a bit of the game on MSN Friday, it’s sorta like a car wreck you pass on the highway, some how you just have to stop and look at it. They had chairs set up in the wings for people to watch the carnage, oops, I mean game and the players were actually gushing about playing on the worlds greatest stage. The whole thing made me sick.

KenF
KenF on July 26, 2004 at 10:51 pm

This is all a revelation to me. On a dollar bill it says “The United States of America” but on a quarter it says only “United States of America.” In which of these places do I live? I feel woozy.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 26, 2004 at 9:56 pm

Hey guys lay off Warren!
Vito, when are we getting those 1st Mezz, 1st row center tickets to the basketball games at the Music Hall? Spike Lee wants to come too! And we all know what a great filmmaker he is and what a great contribution he’s made to american culture.