Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 376 - 400 of 1,426 comments

stanley1
stanley1 on March 5, 2009 at 8:16 am

If you like the music, come to the Loew’s on Sunday, March 8th, when the Garden State Theater Organ Society presents a pops concert featuring the Wonder Morton and Grand Piano in the capable hands of Tom Hoehn and Avery Tunningley. Doors open at 2:30PM, show begins at 3PM. $15 general admission, $13 for seniors/children.

LoewsPoli
LoewsPoli on March 4, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Hello everybody. Thank God Jersey gets it. My namesake theatre was taken down and OH, what a loss. Radio City was a lovely little project-and I’m glad everyone stills loves that sunrise arch-but NOTHING beats the original. But it’s gone, all gone. In Ben Hall’s book, “The Best Remaining Seats”, your wonderful edifice was mentioned as one of the 5 “wonder” theaters but one without the Morton 4/23. How nice that he is now wrong. How lovely the perfume of the popcorn in the grand foyer and, as you approach your seat, the increasing presence of that Morton! The sound, the comfort, the politeness of the staff and those big bright pictures on that big bright screen. How grand it is to be, as Gloria Swanson said in “Sunset Boulevard”, one of those “wonderful people in the dark”. Keep up the good work, FOL. Do not let the little voices distract you.It’s a grand place, if not the grandest, place to see the show. And every year, it’s grander yet! Your Loews Jersey is truly New Jersey’s Cathedral of the Motion Picture. Count me in to be in line, waiting for the box office to open and for the popcorn to pop. When I heard Mr.Ralph play that Morton, I got a little misty eyed, as I never thought I would ever hear that sound again, wafting up the aisles, into the lobby….

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on February 16, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Chaplin’s “City Lights” made for a memorable Valentine’s Day show on Feb. 14th – presentation was tops, with a quality print and the “Wonder Morton” in the always-capable hands of house organist Ralph Ringstad Jr.

Audience turnout was beyond expectations, with an impressive 608 in attendance – I suppose that those lovers of romantic films would wish that Valentine’s Day occurred on a Saturday more often! (That won’t happen again until the year 2015.)

And in less than two weeks, another great…

FILM NOIR WEEKEND

27 Feb. (Fri.)
8:00 PM: “Chinatown” (1974)

28 Feb. (Sat.)
3:00 PM: “Night and the City” (1950)
7:00 PM â€" special double feature: “The Killing” (1956) â€"– “Niagara” (1953)

PLUS: Noted author, film historian and professor Foster Hirsch makes yet another guest appearance, introducing each movie and hosting audience Q&A sessions afterwards. Dr. Hirsch will also sign copies of his latest book, an updated edition of “The Dark Side of the Screen: Film Noir.”

bolorkay
bolorkay on February 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm

If there is one aspect of the great Loews Jersey that I appreciate the most it is their wonderful sense of choice in selecting films that resonate with the overall audience… not exactly “popular” films all of the time, but film programs with a “theme”. (ie James Bond, Adventure heroes etc.)
I’m also grateful to Colin and the other Friends of the Loews for presenting films that might not have been very popular during their initial release, but now “deserve” a second look. (Two films that I always “turned my nose up” at [being the snobby little Sean Connery fan that I was at an early age] were “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” and , the above-mentioned “For Your Eyes Only”… they are now two of my favorite Bond films.)

Friends of the Loews deserves the support of every classic film fan in the Nj/Ny metro area. We seem to be in an age of shrinking interest in movie theaters that show classic films. We need to keep this jewel alive and shining.

JamesInManhattan
JamesInManhattan on February 2, 2009 at 10:34 am

I attended the Saturday screening of For Your Eyes Only (the one of the three I wanted to see the most), and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I’ve never been disappointed by a visit to the Loews, and as usual, the Loews organizers provided quality support, with Bond memorabilia in the lobby and an introduction with information on the movie from a Cinema Retro writer (if I remember correctly).

And, yes, if they had screened The Spy Who Loved Me, I would have attended that screening as well – it would have been something to see Stanley Kubrick’s (uncredited) lighting work, for the Supertanker scenes, on the big screen.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 20, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Out of that group, I’d say “The Man with the Golden Gun”. My real favorite Moore is “The Spy Who Loved Me” but that’s not being shown.

matthewparisi
matthewparisi on January 20, 2009 at 4:02 pm

So of the Moore Bond films which is the best?
can only go to one.

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on January 11, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Upcoming classic movie screenings…

ROGER MOORE AS JAMES BOND

Fri. – 30 Jan.
8:00 PM: “The Man with the Golden Gun”

Sat. – 31 Jan.
3:30 PM: “For Your Eyes Only”
7:30 PM: “Octopussy”

SPECIAL VALENTINEâ€\S DAY SHOW

Sat. – 14 Feb.
7:30 PM: “City Lights” with Charlie Chaplin, plus live music on the “Wonder Morton” theatre organ!

CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS…

Ushers needed for upcoming Loew’s-Down Blues concert on Friday, 23 Jan., 7:30-11:00 PM.
Assistance also appreciated at movie screenings. To volunteer: e-mail

Free admission and refreshments for volunteer staff at all events!

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on December 18, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Wanna be in Hollywood? This is as good as it gets!

Bway
Bway on December 15, 2008 at 10:11 am

I don’t know if this was ever linked here before, but the Trans Siberian Orchestra filmed their “Christmas Canon” video here, and it’s a sight to behold, with the beautiful Jersey’s interiro clearly seen:

matthewparisi
matthewparisi on December 15, 2008 at 9:37 am

How did Oliver play and look?

RobMinichino
RobMinichino on November 23, 2008 at 7:54 am

Off of the top of my head, I know we’ve shown at least Lawrence of Arabia and The Sound of Music in the past, and we’ll probably be showing all of the films you’ve listed some time in the future as well. Additionally, once we are ready to show 70mm, we will likely be scheduling 70mm showings of Lawrence of Arabia and West Side Story.

MPol
MPol on November 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm

The Loews Jersey looks like a spectacular movie theatre, both inside and out. At the risk of sounding somewhat obsessive, what would be the chances of showing something such as West Side Story, Dr. Zhivago, Sound of Music, or many other favorite classics there, including Lawrence of Arabia? just curious, because Loews Jersey looks like a perfect movie palace for all of these great films.

markp
markp on November 22, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I will do that.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 21, 2008 at 7:28 am

I’m there for most Friday movies, almost never there on Saturdays. If you ever make it up to the Jersey on one of our movie Fridays, please ask for me.

/Mitchell

markp
markp on November 19, 2008 at 7:28 pm

To MBD, I hope one day I can get up to the Loew’s to see a movie, and meet you. Only problem is I work every Friday and Saturday. And to Vito, my dear friend, its good to know you are doing well. It was my pleasure to help you in White Plains, just too bad my back (which has gotten worse by the way) did not see it the same way. Amboys was a trip wasn’t it? Reminds me of that old song, ‘havin a heat wave…’ I now work for an indy, but cannot move or lift any prints off platters. Goona be 50 in January, and aint worth nothing anymore. MBD, I wish I could see ‘Oliver’ on your huge Scope screen.

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on November 19, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Question: how many large movie palaces (such as the Loew’s) are showing classic films on a 50 foot wide screen?

The immensity of the experience of seeing a movie at the Loew’s really struck me when I saw “The Jazz Singer” on that huge screen. Not only was Jolson’s performance stunning, and the picture size huge, but there is something about seeing a film in a darkened movie palace that cannot be matched anywhere; and I would think that the experience is very rare today.

So all prosperity and goodness to the FOL and the Loew’s Jersey!

I CANNOT WAIT to see “Oliver!” at the Loew’s. I’ll be in the 10th row center. That’s my favorite area in which to sit. I also like to sit on the right side just under the balcony edge.

A long time ago, I used to pick with “neighborhood” of the auditorium I like to sit in. That was in Radio City. I had my favorite spots there too.

Multi-plexes and homes do not provide drastically different vantage points, as can be found in large old movie palaces. That sense of changing perspective is something I really enjoy.

Heck, I even enjoyed sitting in the “peanut gallery” in the last row of the balcony all the way on the left side (did so at the Loew’s). I did this when they showed “Fantasia” in the 1970s. I spent almost all of my time just looking at the theatre and listening to the music. I still remember the event.

I miss the ambient sounds in the balcony lobbies that come from the auditorium doors being open—esp. the sound from that 3 level lobby that is closed off now. I would think that in the “good old days” one could enjoy the music of the show just fine from that balcony lobby. I think that was the mid-level lobby, over the loges lobby (with the restrooms). It is another vast space at the Loew’s.

Vito
Vito on November 19, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Ah, see how much better when all get along. :)
Bye the way MBD, you also need to give credit to movie534 for being able to handle Amboy which was not an easy both to operate.
The booth was huge and the HVAC system was not adaquit, making it hot in spots in the summer and cold in the winter. couple that with a fickle automation system that did not always behave and you have a challenging job at best. Then there was that ex-projectionist turned Managing Director (me) giving the both guys unwated advice. UGH!

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 19, 2008 at 12:06 pm

To movie534, I owe you an apology. Most of my anger was aimed at the Mr. Serf who posted before you. I scrolled up/down too quickly. Your post, although I don’t fully agree with it, was rather innocuous. Best of luck with The Ritz project, and if The Count Basie ever runs film again, I will try and get down to see one of your shows. There can never be too many theatres running classic films on the big screen.

PS.

While I have one year on you for length of time as a projectionist, and have run Norelco AA’s, it was 35mm only. I’ve never run 70mm.

Vito
Vito on November 19, 2008 at 10:02 am

I am pretty sure I rememnber you from Amboy, and hiring you for
White Plains.The White Plains booth was 100% manager/operator at first and then we brought 306 in to split with the managers.
I recall walking around the booth after you came in and thought, well hiring you was a good decision cause the booth immediatlely transformed into a more professional envirement. I especially appreciated the work you did on setting up the interlocks.
Your apology is accepted and appreciated. Also, I know what you mean by “our disagremnts” we sure had a few of those. I was under a lot of pressure to keep that White Plains theatre from falling into hell, it was a real nightmare at times. I thought I wouild never recover from that IMAX installation. We sure needed,and I fought for, two men per shift running that thing, especially the IMAX 3-D.
After that I retired, I had had enough.

Roxymusicco
Roxymusicco on November 19, 2008 at 9:57 am

Since I was mentioned by name, I would like to take the time and go on the record in saying that although, I may have had disagreements in the past, I fully support Friends of the Loews in what they are doing at the Loews Jersey Theatre. I not only support them, I’ve seen many movies there over the past 2 years and feel I’ve worked hard in renewing friendships with most of the people at the theatre. I can only wish for both FOL’s and the theatre’s success.

Bernie Anderson, Jr

markp
markp on November 19, 2008 at 9:34 am

I’m sorry vito, and I apologize. But it really gets me when someone says I’m hiding. I have nothing to hide. You personally know me from the old Amboys days with Ted, Jimmy, and the boys, and from White Plains. We may had our disagrements, but I respected you and valued what you said, and I always felt the same from you. I was only making the point that others on this site have the same opinions of the presentation, so what does that say. By the way how are you doing? Good health I hope, and have a safe holiday season.

Vito
Vito on November 19, 2008 at 8:32 am

My God, when did this site become a venue for personal attacks?

You are embarassing yourselves, please stop.

markp
markp on November 19, 2008 at 5:31 am

I also agree with Bill Huelbig, in that sitting in the front row of a palace is unlike anything else you can expeirience. Thats why i’m glad to see places like Jersey City and Elizabeth and Red Bank among others get saved from the wrecking ball. The ONLY thing I can agree with Mitchell the projectionist on is that going to a shoebox to see a movie is like seeing a picture on a cell phone.

markp
markp on November 19, 2008 at 5:19 am

So Mitchell, you are the big wig top notch projectionist since 2001. WOW!! I have been an IA UNION projectionist (something you wouldn’t even know about I guess) since 1976, I’m guessing before you were even born. As far as hiding behind an id, I’m not hiding, the person I know who worked that booth years ago was Bernie, thats all I’m putting up on a public site. And as far as anything else goes, so you are going to be the big man to run 70MM? Well lets see I was doing that as far back as 1984. Oh, but thats right I dont know anything. And if you think I dont appreciate old movies and theatres, I just hope the Ritz in Elizabeth N.J. gets sold to a private group soon, so I can get my screen, dolby CP-55 sound and carbon arc projection up and running. Oh and did you ever run IMAX? Ever see an IMAX system?? So before you say I’m hiding, know who you’re talking to. I may not know what some people on Cinema Treasures do, but I’ve FORGOTTEN things you’ll never even learn. And good luck with your Norelco projectors, they are a hell of a machine. I ran them too!!!