Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 376 - 400 of 1,419 comments

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on March 27, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I just received word that Loew’s Jersey is presenting a free, 35mm screening of ISLE OF THE DEAD tonight. You can’t beat that price.

But better than that, the pre-show organ concert will be played by Bernie Anderson – one of the premier theater organists on the East Coast. Bernie never fails to entertain and this will be his debut on the restored Wonder Morton!

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on March 27, 2009 at 1:05 am

Nice job, Chuck. I hope to visit this place someday. If only they had more frequent performances like every other weekend.

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on March 25, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Agree with Life’s too short. It is almost a miracle.

If the loges could be reopened, I could die peacefully (many years from now — I hope). Imagine walking down those l-o-n-g tunnels (esp. the one on the left side), through the French doors, and then WHAM — what a sight!!! easily on of the most impressive proscenium arches in the world, and THE BEST view for movies and stage performances.

I don’t see why they can’t be reopened since they at the same level as the 2nd floor of the lobby. I suppose it’s up to the Fire Dept. They’ve been good to the Loew’s so far, for which I am most grateful.

This is very good news. I hope it happens soon. Just opening the loges would double the impressiveness of the Loew’s Jersey, in my opinion.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on March 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm

You guys at the Jersey really know how to get things done. I can’t believe what you and everyone else who has worked there over the years have pulled off. It is most impressive.

RobMinichino
RobMinichino on March 24, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I can’t really speak to any plans we have for the side coves, but I would assume our aim would be to return them to their original state, whatever that might have been. I think they might have had curtains in them to emulate opera boxes (these weren’t meant to be “windows” like you might find in an atmospheric). The original incandescent lighting strips still exist, but are currently unused (they are not lamped). These are controlled at the stage lighting board and I assume they are set up for the 3 color circuits like the rest of the house and stage lights. Right now they are painted a greenish-blue color on the inside, and most of them have blue neon lighting.

One idea I had for using single slide projectors (we have a few of them already) was to project an image of the triplex “scar” on the underside of the balcony for demonstration purposes after it is restored.

All of the seat bottoms and backs have already been reupholstered (all of the seats, both balcony and orchestra, were done at once) and are awaiting installation. The current work involves cleaning and painting the seat standards, and refurbishing and painting the hinges for the seat bottoms. Our volunteers are making good progress on both fronts.

We are working on getting a grant to fund the work needed on the fire escapes to get the balcony open. We may be able to open the loge (lower section of the balcony) before the fire escapes for the upper part of the balcony are restored, but I can’t make any promises.

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on March 23, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Another Loew’s Jersey idea. Since the balcony will be reopening in the foreseeable future, I have an idea. On either side of the balcony there are three coves. I was reading somewhere about the Brooklyn Paramount, that at one time, they had projected idyllic scenes on coves like the ones in the Jersey. What would it take to paint these coves in a dark white (almost silver or gray). Then there could be six very simple “one slide projectors” which would project idyllic garden scenes onto the cove walls. What would it cost? Not much I would think. It would make a major difference in terms of presentation and wonder over the room. When that gets boring, keep the violet/red/blue/gold floodlights and turn them on with the projectors still running. When the movie/show starts, turn off the projectors and turn on ¼ of the violet floods. I think this is how it would have been done in the 1920s. Just a thought.

I am so glad the old seats are going back in the balcony after they are restored!! Haven’t some of them already been restored? What the plan regarding the left side fire escape? I would imagine that the restrooms are going to need to be in better condition before the balcony re-opens.

The Loew’s is going to be too great for words, once the balcony is reopened. It will be the talk of the tri-state area and the country.

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on March 12, 2009 at 12:18 am

While Puerto Rican pop singer Don Omar is the credited star of the music video “Canción de Amor”, it is the theatre that truly shines here. The following footage offers some fantastic interior views of the theatre, including backstage, stage, auditorium and grand lobby areas.

Here is a brief, behind-the-scenes, “making of” mini-documentary (narrated in Spanish):

Here is television coverage on Univision Network’s entertainment and celebrity gossip news program “Primer Impacto” (the Spanish-language equivalent of “Extra”):

And here is the final product (filmed on location in October 2007):

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on March 7, 2009 at 9:53 pm

For our March shows, The Landmark Loews Jersey is presenting a weekend of black & white ghost stories rarely seen on the big screen:

Fri March 27th at 8pm

….The Uninvited (1944)

Sat March 28th at 6pm

….The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (1947) Studio Archive Vault Print.

Sat March 28th at 8:30pm

….The Innocents (1961) Studio Archive Vault Print.

bolorkay
bolorkay on March 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm

If I may, a big warm thank-you to the Friends of The Loews for the spectacular film noir series this past weekend! “Nobody does it better” than you folks! And also a debt of gratitude must be paid to Dr. Foster Hirsch for adding so much insight into the films that weekend beyond what was on the screen. A truely fascinating and engaging speaker. His enthusiasm was really infectious. ( I wonder if he teaches film classes at any of our local colleges?)
If there is one thing that the Loews Jersey excels all other film establishments in has to be the sense of education that one always leaves the theater with… and this weekend was no exception! Especially when introduced to a film such as Jules Dassin’s, “Night and The City”!! For me, this film helps reinforce the phrase,“they don’t make them like that anymore.”
Please keep up the great work, FOL! I look forward to standing on line this month!

stanley1
stanley1 on March 5, 2009 at 4:16 pm

If you like the music, come to the Loew’s on Sunday, March 8th, when the Garden State Theater Organ Society presents a pops concert featuring the Wonder Morton and Grand Piano in the capable hands of Tom Hoehn and Avery Tunningley. Doors open at 2:30PM, show begins at 3PM. $15 general admission, $13 for seniors/children.

LoewsPoli
LoewsPoli on March 5, 2009 at 5:28 am

Hello everybody. Thank God Jersey gets it. My namesake theatre was taken down and OH, what a loss. Radio City was a lovely little project-and I’m glad everyone stills loves that sunrise arch-but NOTHING beats the original. But it’s gone, all gone. In Ben Hall’s book, “The Best Remaining Seats”, your wonderful edifice was mentioned as one of the 5 “wonder” theaters but one without the Morton 4/23. How nice that he is now wrong. How lovely the perfume of the popcorn in the grand foyer and, as you approach your seat, the increasing presence of that Morton! The sound, the comfort, the politeness of the staff and those big bright pictures on that big bright screen. How grand it is to be, as Gloria Swanson said in “Sunset Boulevard”, one of those “wonderful people in the dark”. Keep up the good work, FOL. Do not let the little voices distract you.It’s a grand place, if not the grandest, place to see the show. And every year, it’s grander yet! Your Loews Jersey is truly New Jersey’s Cathedral of the Motion Picture. Count me in to be in line, waiting for the box office to open and for the popcorn to pop. When I heard Mr.Ralph play that Morton, I got a little misty eyed, as I never thought I would ever hear that sound again, wafting up the aisles, into the lobby….

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on February 17, 2009 at 2:09 am

Chaplin’s “City Lights” made for a memorable Valentine’s Day show on Feb. 14th – presentation was tops, with a quality print and the “Wonder Morton” in the always-capable hands of house organist Ralph Ringstad Jr.

Audience turnout was beyond expectations, with an impressive 608 in attendance – I suppose that those lovers of romantic films would wish that Valentine’s Day occurred on a Saturday more often! (That won’t happen again until the year 2015.)

And in less than two weeks, another great…

FILM NOIR WEEKEND

27 Feb. (Fri.)
8:00 PM: “Chinatown” (1974)

28 Feb. (Sat.)
3:00 PM: “Night and the City” (1950)
7:00 PM â€" special double feature: “The Killing” (1956) â€"– “Niagara” (1953)

PLUS: Noted author, film historian and professor Foster Hirsch makes yet another guest appearance, introducing each movie and hosting audience Q&A sessions afterwards. Dr. Hirsch will also sign copies of his latest book, an updated edition of “The Dark Side of the Screen: Film Noir.”

bolorkay
bolorkay on February 16, 2009 at 9:25 pm

If there is one aspect of the great Loews Jersey that I appreciate the most it is their wonderful sense of choice in selecting films that resonate with the overall audience… not exactly “popular” films all of the time, but film programs with a “theme”. (ie James Bond, Adventure heroes etc.)
I’m also grateful to Colin and the other Friends of the Loews for presenting films that might not have been very popular during their initial release, but now “deserve” a second look. (Two films that I always “turned my nose up” at [being the snobby little Sean Connery fan that I was at an early age] were “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” and , the above-mentioned “For Your Eyes Only”… they are now two of my favorite Bond films.)

Friends of the Loews deserves the support of every classic film fan in the Nj/Ny metro area. We seem to be in an age of shrinking interest in movie theaters that show classic films. We need to keep this jewel alive and shining.

JamesInManhattan
JamesInManhattan on February 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I attended the Saturday screening of For Your Eyes Only (the one of the three I wanted to see the most), and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I’ve never been disappointed by a visit to the Loews, and as usual, the Loews organizers provided quality support, with Bond memorabilia in the lobby and an introduction with information on the movie from a Cinema Retro writer (if I remember correctly).

And, yes, if they had screened The Spy Who Loved Me, I would have attended that screening as well – it would have been something to see Stanley Kubrick’s (uncredited) lighting work, for the Supertanker scenes, on the big screen.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 21, 2009 at 3:18 am

Out of that group, I’d say “The Man with the Golden Gun”. My real favorite Moore is “The Spy Who Loved Me” but that’s not being shown.

matthewparisi
matthewparisi on January 21, 2009 at 12:02 am

So of the Moore Bond films which is the best?
can only go to one.

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on January 11, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Upcoming classic movie screenings…

ROGER MOORE AS JAMES BOND

Fri. – 30 Jan.
8:00 PM: “The Man with the Golden Gun”

Sat. – 31 Jan.
3:30 PM: “For Your Eyes Only”
7:30 PM: “Octopussy”

SPECIAL VALENTINEâ€\S DAY SHOW

Sat. – 14 Feb.
7:30 PM: “City Lights” with Charlie Chaplin, plus live music on the “Wonder Morton” theatre organ!

CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS…

Ushers needed for upcoming Loew’s-Down Blues concert on Friday, 23 Jan., 7:30-11:00 PM.
Assistance also appreciated at movie screenings. To volunteer: e-mail

Free admission and refreshments for volunteer staff at all events!

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on December 19, 2008 at 4:23 am

Wanna be in Hollywood? This is as good as it gets!

Bway
Bway on December 15, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I don’t know if this was ever linked here before, but the Trans Siberian Orchestra filmed their “Christmas Canon” video here, and it’s a sight to behold, with the beautiful Jersey’s interiro clearly seen:

matthewparisi
matthewparisi on December 15, 2008 at 5:37 pm

How did Oliver play and look?

RobMinichino
RobMinichino on November 23, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Off of the top of my head, I know we’ve shown at least Lawrence of Arabia and The Sound of Music in the past, and we’ll probably be showing all of the films you’ve listed some time in the future as well. Additionally, once we are ready to show 70mm, we will likely be scheduling 70mm showings of Lawrence of Arabia and West Side Story.

MPol
MPol on November 23, 2008 at 6:53 am

The Loews Jersey looks like a spectacular movie theatre, both inside and out. At the risk of sounding somewhat obsessive, what would be the chances of showing something such as West Side Story, Dr. Zhivago, Sound of Music, or many other favorite classics there, including Lawrence of Arabia? just curious, because Loews Jersey looks like a perfect movie palace for all of these great films.

markp
markp on November 23, 2008 at 5:45 am

I will do that.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on November 21, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I’m there for most Friday movies, almost never there on Saturdays. If you ever make it up to the Jersey on one of our movie Fridays, please ask for me.

/Mitchell

markp
markp on November 20, 2008 at 3:28 am

To MBD, I hope one day I can get up to the Loew’s to see a movie, and meet you. Only problem is I work every Friday and Saturday. And to Vito, my dear friend, its good to know you are doing well. It was my pleasure to help you in White Plains, just too bad my back (which has gotten worse by the way) did not see it the same way. Amboys was a trip wasn’t it? Reminds me of that old song, ‘havin a heat wave…’ I now work for an indy, but cannot move or lift any prints off platters. Goona be 50 in January, and aint worth nothing anymore. MBD, I wish I could see ‘Oliver’ on your huge Scope screen.