AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 27, 2006 at 1:32 pm

If you want a good example of theatre preservation, look at clearview. Not only do they restore old movie theatres, but they add more screens or renovate/upgrade them for the future, as they did with the Ziegfeld theatre and most recently the renovations of several North Jersey theatres like Succsaunna and Parsippany. Too bad the screens are not as big as those in the good old days.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on March 27, 2006 at 9:07 am

I remember this theater well. In fact I grew up in this theater. My father and grandfather where projectionists since it was 3 screens. I was able to enjoy countless movies there. Yes 70mm and magnetic 6 track sound made me a movie buff at a very young age. It was wonderful to touch and play with all the equipment there. It was very exciting to start a movie at 5 years old. I remember sitting in the lobby as the lines formed around the building for the original star wars. Theater one was the biggest theater I have ever seen in my life. This theater might have been the first with stadium seating. There was one large theater that was ontop of theater 1. It was a balcony, and the rise was the best I have ever seen. When the built all the additional theaters they really tore the place up. The projection booths are scattered about. It is kind of neat though. Long dark hallways, stairs gallor. The 2 theaters that are upstairs, you have to walk through the theater to get to the projection booths. I have nothing nice to say about sony.. for they led the way for theater presentation demise. If people want to preserve theaters, they need to start at the corporate level. They really don’t care about theaters.. I have seen it.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 29, 2006 at 6:39 am

The AMC website has all the former Loews Theatres as AMC Theatres already. It will take a couple of weeks for the newspapers. This happened 4 years ago when AMC acquired General Cinema Theatres as well.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 27, 2006 at 7:50 pm

Let’s not rename theatres on this site here at CinemaTreasures until they are renamed either in newspaper ads or on actual theatre signage.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 27, 2006 at 6:31 pm

AMC (Durwood) bought out the entire Loews Cineplex chain. All Loews Theatres, Cineplex Odeon (RKO Century, Plitt, Walter Reade) Theatres, Star Theatres, and Magic Johnson Theatres, as well as the former Gulf State, General Cinema and Budco (William Goldman) theatre chains, are now called “AMC Theatres”.

Chuts
Chuts on January 27, 2006 at 6:02 pm

I didn’t know it changed hands. Why would AMC buy the theatre if it will be torn down and rebuilt?

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 27, 2006 at 5:48 pm

This former Stanley Warner’s Route 4 Theatre should be updated as AMC Paramus Route 4 10 Theatre.

chconnol
chconnol on January 9, 2006 at 10:25 am

Going to this theater is still a mixed bag. Sometimes it’s OK and sometimes it’s not. I saw “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” here back in December in the “big” auditorium and it literally stunk. It smelled like bad feet but was probably the carpet never being cleaned. We got stuck in the crowd leaving and the entire houselights came up. The place looked awful. They should leave the lights off. Chipped paint, worn ceilings. Very tired looking. The sound was muffled too.

Then I saw “The Chronicles of Narnia” in (I think) #6. This is one of the larger ones in the back part of the theater. Now this one wasn’t bad at all. No smell, excellent projection and sound. Seats were fine too.

bamtino
bamtino on December 8, 2005 at 8:29 pm

Uh… I think the Greater Union is in Australia (mate). So, I don’t think it’s caused too much of a drop off, though they do appear to have some pretty decent bookings!

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on December 8, 2005 at 8:03 pm

Does anyone know about Greater Union Cinema 11, that is located at One Garden State Plaza? When did this particular cinema open, and what is it doing to the business at the Loews Cineplex Route 4 10 Theatre (The former Stanley Warner’s Paramus Route 4 Theatre)?

pbubny
pbubny on December 5, 2005 at 9:09 am

I probably haven’t been to this theatre since I saw “The Lost World: Jurassic Park,” which at that time monopolized five of the complex’s six decent-sized screens. Judging by some of the comments posted here, I haven’t missed much except a serious decline in upkeep; in 1997 the place was still reasonably well-run. Over the 20 years that I did patronize the Route 4 Theatre, in whatever configuration (triplex, eightplex, tenplex), I had a very mixed bag of moviegoing experiences, some very good to outstanding, and some pretty poor. Lest anybody think that the poor experiences have all been confined to more recent times, let me point out that on my second time seeing the original “Star Wars” in the supersized Theatre #1 back in the day, the surround channels failed to work for most of the show, the projectionist TWICE failed to synchronize the changeover from one reel to the next, and the film broke when Luke, Leia, and Han were in the trash compactor. Whereas the first time I saw it there, about a week and a half after it opened, the “only” problem was the sound going off at one point. Six years later, during “Return of the Jedi,” there was another film break. On the other hand, seeing a “Star Wars” movie (or any other, for that matter) on that enormous screen was a treat, and when Theatre #1 was subdivided into one okay-sized auditorium and two shoeboxes, the place lost much of its allure.

So if there’s going to be a new 16-plex to replace it (and, one assumes, the Route 17 triplex), it may simply be that the Route 4 tenplex has reached the end of its useful life.

timquan
timquan on October 29, 2005 at 2:29 pm

Can’t believe this tenplex is still in operation, and how moviegoers had to endure sitting in run-down auditoriums watching good blockbuster hits.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on October 25, 2005 at 4:23 am

The Bergen Mall was originally built with 2 theatres, one live, and one for movies. This was by the choice of the builder, who wanted to recreate a downtown fell. There was even a little kiddie amusement park in the middle of the mall. At the time, the mall was not enclosed. The movie theatre, the Mall Theatre, was located towards spring valley road at the east end of the mall, the entrance was outside toward the parking lot. The Playhouse On The Mall’s entrance was on the inside walkway, at the west end of the mall. There was never a theatre across from the Bergen Mall. E.J. Korvette’s department store was located directly across, taking up all of what is now a strip mall. The bridge across the highway at that time extended all the way to a second floor entrance to Korvette’s.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on October 25, 2005 at 4:13 am

The Stanley Warner, as the marquee called it, was a magnificent theatre as a single with marble walls and art deco wall sconces in the lobby. The last film I saw there as a single was The Godfather. In the early 1970’s, they built The Route 4 Cinema next to it. Although there was no space between the buildings, The Route 4 was a seperate building with it’s own marquee, boxoffice, etc. It had a magnificient waterfall curtain. A few years later, the Stanley Warner was twined by extending and walling up the balcony. The original projection room became the upstairs projection room, and a new projection room was built behind the consession stand on the main level for the “big” theatre. Then, at some point, they split the balcony theatre into 2 theatres, and the big theatre got split into 3 theatres by putting a wall down the middle, with one long hallway theatre on the left, and 2 small theatres (one in front of the other) on the right. Sometime in the late 1980’s, they finished destroying the theatre by ripping out most of the original lobby, and building the rest of the 10-plex.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 19, 2005 at 1:05 am

Just to let you know, plans are still underway for a 16-screen theatre to replace both the Route 4 and Route 17 theatres once it opens sometime in the future.

Chuts
Chuts on July 14, 2005 at 12:32 am

I remember 1977. I was 12 years old and even at that age my friend and I would refer to it as “the route 4 Stanley Warner”. We’d cut school and go there to see Star Wars all day long. The ushers rarely threw us out between showings. I’m from Garfield, NJ. We’d hop on a bus early in the morning on Midland Avenue in front of “The Garden State Farms” in Saddle Brook, NJ to get to the Garden State Plaza. Before the movies started we’d always eat at “Rustlers Steak House”. My friend Nicky would order me “The Westerner” and pay for it because I had no money and he, somehow, always did. Come to think of it, he’d always pay for my movie ticket to. I think he found his parents “cookie jar” where they stashed their change, anywho, after we ate we’d walk over to the theatres from the Plaza.

Coate
Coate on July 13, 2005 at 11:07 pm

That “Star Wars” ad looks like it is from August 1977 after the release expanded to region-wide. The exclusive engagement ads from May reference the Paramus engagement as “RKO/Stanley Warner Triplex Paramus.”

RobertR
RobertR on July 5, 2005 at 5:11 pm

Here it is in 1977 known as Triplex Paramus, sounds like they were not sure who owned it at the time :)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 22, 2005 at 3:56 am

I believe the very first digital showing of “The Phantom Menace” was at the Meadows 6 in Secaucus. That’s what they said at the theater anyway, when they gave out the commemmorative badges. The shows may have opened to the public on the same night in both Secaucus and Paramus, but I think the first test of the system took place in Secaucus.

Coate
Coate on June 21, 2005 at 1:45 pm

If you wish to count newspaper ads, additional AKAs for this theater used during the late-70s include “RKO Paramus” and “RKO-Stanley-Warner Triplex Paramus.”

Coate
Coate on June 21, 2005 at 1:44 pm

“The Route 4 theater was one of only 3 in New Jersey, and 32 nationwide, to open "Star Wars” on May 25, 1977.“ (Damien Farley)

There were four New Jersey theaters included in the original 5/25/77 limited market launch of “Star Wars.” They were located in Edison, Lawrenceville, Paramus, and Pennsauken.

I bet you got your reference to three NJ theaters from the list posted on the starwars.com website. A more comprehensive list appears here:

Coate
Coate on June 21, 2005 at 1:35 pm

“In the (possibly 1950’s and) 1960’s, they showed three strip Cinerama/Cinemiracle … and just a few years ago they were the first theater in the state to present the digitally projected Star Wars Episode I.” (Robert MacLeay)

I’m not aware of any Cinerama engagements at this theater.

Clarification on the digital cinema comment: this theater was among the first to be equipped since “The Phantom Menace” played simultaneously at two NJ venues, this and the Loews Meadows Six in Secaucus.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 21, 2005 at 1:00 pm

Now that Loews Cineplex and AMC will merge during the time period when the new 16-plex is constructed and completed, will things change a bit? This and the new Rockaway 16 plex will be big investments for the new AMC-Loews chain.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on June 21, 2005 at 3:55 am

It stays open until the construction is under way, same as the Tenplex. They continue to use the Triplex as a ‘move-over’ house with films from the Tenplex.

RobertR
RobertR on June 21, 2005 at 3:44 am

Whats up with the triplex?