AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6

301 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

aktubm
aktubm on April 29, 2012 at 6:48 am

Worked as a Manager at both inside and outside part time. Was there when the outside first opened. Also there when 1st Raiders, Poltergeist and Altered States came out. William Hurt showed up. Good sound for that time. Inner theaters were not that great, but remember showing the late shows on Friday/Saturday (Rocky Horror, Eraserhead among others). Also the mess left behind after the Rocky Horror shows.

moviebuff82 on February 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I think back in the old days, the Rockaway 12 theatres showed red and blue 3D movies in the 1980’s, when 3D came back with cheesy sci-fi and horror films like “Jaws 3-D”, “Friday the 13th Part 3-D”, and “Amityville 3D”, not to mention “Spacehunter 3D” as well as “Starchaser 3D”, an animated 3D movie that was the first 3D animated feature length film (hand drawn and computer animated) that bombed.

moviebuff82 on February 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I like film. I love the splices, the scratches, the sharpness. And the surround sound was pretty good too. Also they used film slides between shows and the film for preshows, which used surround sound unlike the digital preshow. I miss the digital surround sound trailer before the movie. AMC did it with SDDS and Dolby Digital. I saw the Dolby train trailer before “Exit Wounds”, which I’ve seen before in a computer game “Wing COmmander IV”.

blacknoi
blacknoi on February 6, 2012 at 8:22 am

Those photos look familiar (as in I took them all and someone reposted). Glad cinema treasures has a place to upload them directly finally so at least others can see what they looked like.

It will be 10 years since the outers closed this July 28th, 2012.

And the new Rockaway theaters have gone all digital now for some time, no more film. There was something nice about the film presentation that digital just doesn’t reproduce.

moviebuff82 on February 5, 2012 at 11:38 am

Nice photo. That’s how i remember going to the outer theaters when i saw “Exit Wounds”.

moviebuff82 on December 4, 2011 at 5:51 pm

it still is wrong. This is near Parks Lake where i live. BTW, Raiders played at when the Rockaway theatres expanded to include 12 screens more than 30 years ago this year. That movie was shown in 35mm Dolby Stereo.

moviebuff82 on May 29, 2011 at 5:59 am

The Google Street view is wrong.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Justin does love AMC theatres,they outta give him a season pass.LOL.

Johnnyecks
Johnnyecks on April 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Greg, thanks for the pictures! I used to work in both the inner and outer in the early 90’s. I remember the very long walk I had to take to get back to my car because employee parking was so far away from the entrance to the mall that was closest to the theater! I can’t remember the names of the managers, but I used to work concession. I remember talking to the manager, to quite some length, in the inner theater because on every break I would run to the Suncoast Video (or was it Saturday Matinee) to buy laserdiscs! He was always interested in what movie I was buying, and would have long conversations about surround sound and film. He was a nice guy. I don’t have many memories of working in the outer theater, except for having to go over there from time to time to help out.

moviebuff82 on March 21, 2011 at 10:09 am

Too bad the new rockaway theater is not THX certified….sound bleeding into auditoriums, not perfect screens, and that awful imax screen. I think the AMC rockaway was one of two theatres to be checked by THX in Morris County (the other being East Hanover when it was a Sony/Loews theater…I don’t see no sign of THX anywhere). Back then THX was owned by Lucasfilm, and now is a separate company.

blacknoi
blacknoi on March 21, 2011 at 10:04 am

@Justin, I know all 6 outer houses were SDDS certified. I want to say that house 12 was THX certified when Saving Private Ryan was released. I remember people specifically coming and tweaking the equipment to be in-spec with the certification.

moviebuff82 on March 21, 2011 at 9:54 am

6 screens for Godzilla? That was uncommon for in those days for just one movie to dominate all screens. The new AMC in Rockaway, Greg, usually shows a major summer movie on all screens (even IMAX for select) at midnight showings, thus allowing crowds to see it at any screen. No wonder why Godzilla bombed and Armageddon and Saving Private Ryan ruled.

moviebuff82 on March 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm

FYE is going to be a forever21 store.

moviebuff82 on December 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm

13 or so years after FYE opened where the inner 6 was opened, the FYE will be gone by January 24-26 after having a 50% off sale. Maybe AMC can build a Fork and Screen in that space lol.

moviebuff82 on September 5, 2010 at 5:23 am

A Facebook group has been put out for employees who used to work at the old Rockaway theaters…http://tinyurl.com/3anbmnq

moviebuff82 on September 4, 2010 at 5:51 am

Greg Tallman, was house 12 THX certified?

moviebuff82 on August 23, 2010 at 2:14 pm

The manager who ran this theater, Robert Aldrich, has his own Facebook page. View link

moviebuff82 on June 1, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Did amc have this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71vWrFaP8g They need to bring it back for AMC in Rockaway (the new one).

moviebuff82 on May 16, 2010 at 11:55 am

It’s a shame that AMC never installed DTS at this theater (and its successor) because DTS sounds better and is more CD-quality like than Dolby and SDDS. In the late 90’s, did AMC install Dolby EX for Star Wars Phantom Menace?

moviebuff82 on May 12, 2010 at 11:52 am

I remember seeing Godzilla over in Wayne (before AMC took over), and there was a crowd. It was playing on a lot of screens, but that number trickled down. I thought it was a decent remake. When AMC installed SDDS at this theater as part of a deal with Sony to install that system in all of its theatres, was it the 5.1 version or the 7.1?

moviebuff82 on May 3, 2010 at 11:37 am

that’s pretty interesting.

blacknoi
blacknoi on May 3, 2010 at 11:36 am

I don’t know for sure what movie ran the longest but during my time there (1995-2002), but Titanic seemed to be one of the longest running features. I think it was over 6 months easily.

I hardly ever worked at the inners so I really don’t know.

I do remember that Cinema 10 in Ledgewood had the 1st Home Alone movie for an entire year.

One of the guys who I used to work with there, was around during the opening of Jurassic Park in 1993. He told me the lines wrapped around all the way to the Acme, it was so popular.

Also interesting trivia: Matthew Broderick’s Godzilla was thought to be so popular, it was running in all 6 screens of the outers during its opening weekend. It was such a flop however that it went down to 2 or 3 screens by the following Friday.

moviebuff82 on April 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

What movie held the longest run at both theaters, Greg?

blacknoi
blacknoi on April 16, 2010 at 7:40 am

Justin wrote: “BTW, what were the Twilight shows?”

Twilite was between 4-6pm on any given day. Back in 1995, prices were $3 for anyone during twilite. The rest of the prices were $5.75 adult evening. $3.75 student/senior evening. Any ticket before 4pm was $3.50.

Prices in 2002 when the theater closed are seen here: http://tinyurl.com/ah5pg9
$7 adult evening. $5 student/sr / matinee. $4 child.$3.50 twilite.

moviebuff82 on April 11, 2010 at 5:25 pm

nearly two years from now marks 10 years since this theater shut down to make room for a best buy. NOw with this economy, Best Buy might not survive for the next 100 years…an Office Depot closed on the same building as the AMC Outers. ACME was the next to be gone. Times have changed.