AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6

301 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 2, 2011 at 1:22 am

Justin does love AMC theatres,they outta give him a season pass.LOL.

Johnnyecks
Johnnyecks on April 13, 2011 at 12:36 am

Greg, thanks for the pictures! I used to work in both the inner and outer in the early 90’s. I remember the very long walk I had to take to get back to my car because employee parking was so far away from the entrance to the mall that was closest to the theater! I can’t remember the names of the managers, but I used to work concession. I remember talking to the manager, to quite some length, in the inner theater because on every break I would run to the Suncoast Video (or was it Saturday Matinee) to buy laserdiscs! He was always interested in what movie I was buying, and would have long conversations about surround sound and film. He was a nice guy. I don’t have many memories of working in the outer theater, except for having to go over there from time to time to help out.

moviebuff82 on March 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Too bad the new rockaway theater is not THX certified….sound bleeding into auditoriums, not perfect screens, and that awful imax screen. I think the AMC rockaway was one of two theatres to be checked by THX in Morris County (the other being East Hanover when it was a Sony/Loews theater…I don’t see no sign of THX anywhere). Back then THX was owned by Lucasfilm, and now is a separate company.

blacknoi
blacknoi on March 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm

@Justin, I know all 6 outer houses were SDDS certified. I want to say that house 12 was THX certified when Saving Private Ryan was released. I remember people specifically coming and tweaking the equipment to be in-spec with the certification.

moviebuff82 on March 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

6 screens for Godzilla? That was uncommon for in those days for just one movie to dominate all screens. The new AMC in Rockaway, Greg, usually shows a major summer movie on all screens (even IMAX for select) at midnight showings, thus allowing crowds to see it at any screen. No wonder why Godzilla bombed and Armageddon and Saving Private Ryan ruled.

moviebuff82 on March 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

FYE is going to be a forever21 store.

moviebuff82 on December 30, 2010 at 9:42 pm

13 or so years after FYE opened where the inner 6 was opened, the FYE will be gone by January 24-26 after having a 50% off sale. Maybe AMC can build a Fork and Screen in that space lol.

moviebuff82 on September 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm

A Facebook group has been put out for employees who used to work at the old Rockaway theaters…http://tinyurl.com/3anbmnq

moviebuff82 on September 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Greg Tallman, was house 12 THX certified?

moviebuff82 on August 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

The manager who ran this theater, Robert Aldrich, has his own Facebook page. View link

moviebuff82 on June 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Did amc have this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71vWrFaP8g They need to bring it back for AMC in Rockaway (the new one).

moviebuff82 on May 16, 2010 at 7:55 pm

It’s a shame that AMC never installed DTS at this theater (and its successor) because DTS sounds better and is more CD-quality like than Dolby and SDDS. In the late 90’s, did AMC install Dolby EX for Star Wars Phantom Menace?

moviebuff82 on May 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I remember seeing Godzilla over in Wayne (before AMC took over), and there was a crowd. It was playing on a lot of screens, but that number trickled down. I thought it was a decent remake. When AMC installed SDDS at this theater as part of a deal with Sony to install that system in all of its theatres, was it the 5.1 version or the 7.1?

moviebuff82 on May 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

that’s pretty interesting.

blacknoi
blacknoi on May 3, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I don’t know for sure what movie ran the longest but during my time there (1995-2002), but Titanic seemed to be one of the longest running features. I think it was over 6 months easily.

I hardly ever worked at the inners so I really don’t know.

I do remember that Cinema 10 in Ledgewood had the 1st Home Alone movie for an entire year.

One of the guys who I used to work with there, was around during the opening of Jurassic Park in 1993. He told me the lines wrapped around all the way to the Acme, it was so popular.

Also interesting trivia: Matthew Broderick’s Godzilla was thought to be so popular, it was running in all 6 screens of the outers during its opening weekend. It was such a flop however that it went down to 2 or 3 screens by the following Friday.

moviebuff82 on April 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm

What movie held the longest run at both theaters, Greg?

blacknoi
blacknoi on April 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Justin wrote: “BTW, what were the Twilight shows?”

Twilite was between 4-6pm on any given day. Back in 1995, prices were $3 for anyone during twilite. The rest of the prices were $5.75 adult evening. $3.75 student/senior evening. Any ticket before 4pm was $3.50.

Prices in 2002 when the theater closed are seen here: http://tinyurl.com/ah5pg9
$7 adult evening. $5 student/sr / matinee. $4 child.$3.50 twilite.

moviebuff82 on April 12, 2010 at 1:25 am

nearly two years from now marks 10 years since this theater shut down to make room for a best buy. NOw with this economy, Best Buy might not survive for the next 100 years…an Office Depot closed on the same building as the AMC Outers. ACME was the next to be gone. Times have changed.

moviebuff82 on March 12, 2010 at 12:27 am

Sad news…http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20100311/UPDATES01/100311047/1005/NEWS01/Acme+to+close+its+Rockaway+Township+supermarket+in+April
This has been around as long as the old theaters themselves. Maybe AMC could build more theaters there?

moviebuff82 on December 31, 2009 at 7:14 pm

btw, the space where FYE is will become retail again as the music/video/game store will close alongside its sister store Saturday matinee. Maybe AMC could build a discount theater inside the mall showing older movies ala the Route 4 Triplex? Only time will tell.

moviebuff82 on October 11, 2009 at 5:35 pm

BTW, what were the Twilight shows? I think they were late night showings of movies for a discount, which AMC profited from. They should bring it back so that audiences can fill the seats at the AMC in Rockaway.

moviebuff82 on August 25, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Not too far from where this theater (now Best Buy) stands, a small plane landed at the parking lot between JC Penney and Toys R Us, and thankfully the pilot survived. The parking lots near the mall and stores have been proven to be quite popular for emergency plane landings, as Morristown and Lincoln Park airports are close by.

moviebuff82 on August 21, 2009 at 12:33 am

Did this theater show 3-D movies (the pre-digital ones)? This is because the new Rockaway now has 3-D movies again.

moviebuff82 on June 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Back when it opened, was it the most profitable multiplex for AMC when it was two separate theaters?