Tilton 9 Theatre

331 Tilton Road,
Northfield, NJ 08225

teecee
teecee on March 2, 2006 at 1:41 am

Listed as part of Milgrim Theatres, Inc. in the 1970 FDY.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 27, 2006 at 12:46 pm

The supermarket was an A&P, not a Shop Rite, after I thought about it for a while. This would be in the late 60s. There was another A&P in Pleasantville and a small one in Absecon around that time.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 25, 2006 at 9:50 am

You may be talking about a different era. When I was a kid, the supermarket was a Shop Rite, across the street from the cemetery. The Woolworths was on the other side of the mall, by the movie theater. There was also a bank where the McDonalds is now. I ruined one of the summers of my youth cooking french fries at that McDonalds.

WilliamMurray
WilliamMurray on February 25, 2006 at 9:12 am

Ken Mc,
There used to be a Jamesway and a Thriftway in the center, but both have been replaced by a furniture Store and Senior Center.

Mikeoaklandpark,
Yes, The Tannenbaum Family and the Milgrams (from Philadelphia) still own the theatre as they did in 1965 when it opened.

…and thanks to kittybunny…a loyal customer…but, the Towne Theatre actually has 15 theatres.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on February 21, 2006 at 7:45 am

William
Is Charles Tannenbaum still the owner of thsi theater? When I lived in AC and worked at the bank he was one of my customers. I know he lost all his other theaters.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 21, 2006 at 4:45 am

Do they still have a Shop Rite supermarket and Woolworths department store at that location? I haven’t been there in a while.

kittybunny
kittybunny on February 21, 2006 at 3:40 am

There are only 14 theaters at the Towne 16. I was at the Ritz Bourse last night, and found it mediocre. Snack bar attendant taking tickets, stale popcorn, and small. Tilton 9 (and yes, there are actually nine theaters) is decorated with a mix of old theater flavor splashed with new and eclectic pieces (hey, you will never have to guess what time it is). Compared to any movie theater in a 40 mile radius, this is the place to be. Even 20 years ago my friends an I would be so excited if something we wanted to see was at the Tilton. If it was elsewhere, we would wait for it to come out on video. I think management at the Tilton has done a wonderful job keeping up with the movie going experience. In a world of “On Demand”, they have to be doing something right to keep them coming!!! Excellent service, tasty snack bar, clean facilities, accommodating staff, you name it, they have it!!!

WilliamMurray
WilliamMurray on February 20, 2006 at 6:19 pm

I appreciate the comments by movie theatre fans and take them with the enthusiasm that they were
posted. I don’t believe this is a place for shilling and Mr A. should know better. Then again, he works for a company that can’t even tell the truth about amount of screens they have at the Towne 16. (?)
Seems odd it isn’t even listed as a ‘Cinema Treasure’

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 16, 2005 at 4:52 pm

I saw Star Wars at this theater in May 1977. When I left the theater at ten o'clock at night, there was a line of people waiting for the late show that must have been half a block long.

WaltFay
WaltFay on March 13, 2005 at 2:27 am

There are two very large albeit narrow auditoriums at the Tilton. I think they hold more than 500 each. I know the theatre very well having done work there for the past 20 years or so. I have some great pics on my website; www.faystudios.net

teecee
teecee on March 11, 2005 at 7:36 pm

Any theater opened by James Bond is ok with me.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia on March 11, 2005 at 7:13 am

It’s interesting to see that “Thunderball” was the premier attraction
at the Tilton when it opened in 1965. I was living in Atlantic City
at the time and saw “Thunderball” at the Beach Theatre which was also owned by Charles Tannenbaum (and for many first run “A” pictures
would share bookings with the Tilton). It’s funny, back in the mid 60’s when most of the big palaces in Atlantic City were still open,
the Tilton with its' huge screen, etc., did not quite stand out as much (I don’t think I ever saw a movie on anything less than a 50 foot screen until the original Town Twin opened at the Shore Mall in the 70’s)so I consider myself fortunate. I am glad to hear from Mr.Appenzeller that the Town 16 has been well renovated and if what he says is true, I look forward to seeing films again there this summer.

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia on March 11, 2005 at 7:13 am

It’s interesting to see that “Thunderball” was the premier attraction
at the Tilton when it opened in 1965. I was living in Atlantic City

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on March 10, 2005 at 5:14 am

Yes the orginal theater had masking that opened across. The screen was extremely large. I saw Freebie and The Bean there plus Tommy which had great sound for those days. Does Charels Tannembaum who owned the Charles, Beach and other theatres still run the Tilton 9?

sarge12345
sarge12345 on March 10, 2005 at 1:05 am

The Tilton is an ok theater, but the chop-shop approach to design hinders its lay-out considerably in my opinion.

The multi-million rennovation completed in the spring/summer of 2004 is really impressive. Granted I’m biased, but both design and presentaion easily surpasses the Tilton, and also the Regal at the Hamilton Mall. All high-back rocker stadium seating and DTS sound in every auditorium has helped make the Towne 16 one of the best theaters in southern New Jersey.

William Appenzeller, GM of the Towne 16, Frank Theatres

Cinedelphia
Cinedelphia on March 9, 2005 at 8:47 am

The original theatre, before it was twinned, was a nice place to see a movie. The screen was very large (I don’t recall if it had movable
masking or not)and a good 60 feet in width. I also remember there being “surround” type speakers mounted on the walls of the auditorium
which leads me to believe that there was multi-track stereo and 70mm
capability (if anyone can confirm this, please feel free to comment).
When the Tilton was twinned, it was a typical “dark ages of twinning"
wall down the middle job, basically destroying a nice example of a
large, modern for its time, suburban movie house. The present Tilton
9 is a mixed bag. The original auditorium remains in its' narrow twinned state with the addition of digital sound (shrill and crackly w/ less than steller projection the last time I was there)the newer
stadium auditoriums are decent with good sound, projection, and acceptable size screens for their moderate size; as far as the remaining small auditoriums go, other than barely acceptable digital sound, the less said the better. I find it amazing that this place continually is awarded best theatre in the area by the AC Press. The Regal Hamilton Stadium 14 is pretty much a nice modern megaplex with
excellent sound, big screens in all the audtoriums, etc. Also, if anyone has been to the Town 16 at the Shore Mall since it was refurbished after a fire, I’d love to know if the place has gotten any better (it had become a real dump while run by Hoyt’s).
rooms

joemasher
joemasher on February 3, 2005 at 6:45 am

Also, there are some great photos on their website – www.tilton9.com The original signage is still in place and in use!

joemasher
joemasher on February 3, 2005 at 6:41 am

In my visit to the Titon, I found the auditoriums to be quite large, actually. The original house (single) was twinned, and the rest of the auditoriums are subsequent additions over time. Excellent concession stand.