American Airlines Theatre

227 West 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 25, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Nice shot, Bryan. According to imdb, “Sex and Violence” was released in the U.S. in November, 1979. The co-feature, “The Day After Halloween” is actually an Aussie horror flick from 1979 called “Snapshot” that was released in the U.S. (again, per imdb) in October, 1980. So… that would date the photo to 1980. Of course, release date information is probably pretty sketchy – even on imdb – for films of this nature. I’m sure many Duece engagements flew well under the radar.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 14, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Just to quickly follow up, I found this web site that seems to have an excellent overview of all the art installations that presided over the ghost town that was 42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues in 1993 and 1994. If you click on the colored circles within the text on the page, it will bring you to each installation – some of which occupied theater vestibules and marquees while others adorned the vacant retail units that filled the gaps in between the old movie houses. The page I linked to lists all the 1993 projects, while the bottom-most orange circle along the left pane of the page will lead you to a similar listing of the 1994 installations.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 14, 2007 at 1:16 pm

I’ve been searching around the internet for some time trying to find some of the art projects that were allowed installation within or upon some of the dormant grind houses on the Duece in the early ‘90’s. In addition to the “poetic” phrases that graced all the marquees along the strip around 1992, I seem to recall one or two installations in the lobby space and entry foyer space of one or two of the theaters along the north side of the block.

I came across this web site, which describes a work called “Mimesis” by Kristin Jones and Andrew Ginzel that was installed in the entrance to the Selwyn back in 1993. There is a small image of the installation when you first open the link, and several more if you click on either of the “Mimesis” links at the bottom of the page.

Does anyone recall a similar installation in the Times Square vestibule? I seem to recall an almost holographic image of an blinking eye, but my memory is fuzzy. It might have been another work by Jones and Ginzel (there are many listed on the website, but not all of them have links with images and descriptions).

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 18, 2006 at 8:12 pm

I was back on the Duece a few nights ago, with my new Digital SLR in hand and snapped this photo of the American Airlines Theater marquee and the new office building that was erected on the site of the collapsed Selwyn Building back in 2000.

hardbop
hardbop on November 4, 2006 at 7:46 am

I was at the IFC last night and as anyone who attends films there knows, they screen a short before most features. Well, last night I was delighted to see a short film about “The Grand Luncheonette” that we were discussing above and that was located under the marquee of the theater. The same family owned or ran the luncheonette and it was there for 58 years before closing in October 1997. Fortunately, the filmmaker received the cooperation of the family that ran the luncheonette and was able to make the short film and capture this slice of a now vanished New York. It is places like the luncheonette that made New York New York and one great quote in the film has a family member saying that soon all of American will look alike with MacDonalds and Starbucks on every corner. That comment was made in 1997 and I can’t imagine what he would think of “The Deuce” or NYC now. There is a web site by the filmmaker that I will try to remember as I’m going back to the IFC later today.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 3, 2006 at 2:52 pm

Here’s a great B&W night-time shot of the Selwyn marquee and its neighbors to the west along the north side of the Duece, circa October, 1970.

For good measure, here’s one more.

This flickr account’s photostream is worth a scroll-through as there are a number of similar photos taken on 42nd Street and the Times Square area (Times Squarea?) from this same time. Thanks, Lost Memory, for pointing this one out to me.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on August 14, 2006 at 12:07 pm

Warren, the Rossellini film, The Greatest Love (also known as Europe ‘51) is not the stinker you assert it to be. Many now consider it one of his best works, an essay on the nature of goodness and whether its extremes can become insanity. Martin Scorsese admires this film a great deal, and his 35mm print of it was shown at the New York Film Festival in 1980 as a revival-tribute. Vincent Canby in The New York Times of October 12 that year called it “One of this festival’s bravest —maybe even finest— moments.” I attended that showing and the audience reaction was a very good one. I have watched it many times in 16mm and on video and am always moved by this key Italian film of the 1950s and its moving, even mystical, qualities. The film is indeed peculiar, has its detractors, but it has great admirers as well. It was a movie very much ahead of its time and had a great influence, along with Rossellini’s Voyage to Italy, another trashed masterpiece, on the French new wave directors. Read Tag Gallagher’s volume on Rossellini for an elaborate discourse. My point is a simple one…problematic? Perhaps. A stinker? Absolutely not! Absolutely not!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 14, 2006 at 10:36 am

A pioneer saturation booking from January, 1954 of an Ingrid Bergman-Roberto Rossellini stinker. The nearest it got to a Broadway showcase was at Brandt’s Selwyn. The nabe houses were predominantly RKO, Skouras, and Randforce:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/loveingrid.jpg

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 11, 2006 at 8:17 am

Here are a pair clippings from the Movie Clock sections of the Post in 1980 and 1982 showing that quite a number of the 42nd Street grinders were listed in the papers during this period:

NY Post 12/11/80
NY Post 3/10/82

The Daily News only carried the Cine 42 Twin in its Movie timetable. I even found a few ads from both papers that listed a few Duece theaters under the “Now Playing” banner – the Liberty, New Amsterdam, Times Square and even the Anco – but not the Selwyn, alas.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 11, 2006 at 8:02 am

Here are a few images of the Selwyn I’ve collected on my photobucket site. They include a couple of exterior shots I took myself back in October ‘93 plus a few images I’ve found on the web that I haven’t seen previously posted or linked to from this page:

1986 sci-fi horror grind
Matt Weber shot 1980’s Grand Luncheonette
Old Selwyn Building & marquee 1993 (damn bus!)
1993 – Cooped up?
1990’s Grand Luncheonette
Late 1990’s auditorium prior to renovations

If I were a more patient photographer back in 1993, I might have re-taken that shot of the facade after the city bus blocked my view under the marquee. I might have even made sure the composition wasn’t so crooked! Oh well. My apologies if any of these images are repeats.

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on March 3, 2006 at 11:47 am

“Ladies Night in a Turkish Bath” was the original title of a farce-comedy “Good Night Ladies!” by the then-famous comic playwright Avery Hopwood who was active on the Bway stage in the 1910’s era. The play was revived in the 1940s and toured into the 1950s. It could easily have been condensed and presented at the Selwyn in 1950. I saw it in 1952 at the Majestic, Boston.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 3, 2006 at 10:57 am

I read on the internet broadway database (ibdb.com) that the Selwyn began a peculiar and short lived policy in 1950 of presenting a 60 minute play before each showing of their feature film. With an average of 4 to 5 shows a day, that meant some 30 live performances each week! Two of these plays are listed as having been a part of this policy (the site does not detail how often the show was changed): “The Respectable Prostitute” written by Jean Paul Sartre and “Ladies Night in a Turkish Bath”. Were there ever two more appropriate titles for live theatrical presentation during the height of the Deuce’s grind house days?

Here is the ibdb page for the Selwyn.

DONKIM
DONKIM on October 13, 2005 at 9:59 pm

You can see 2 color interior photos of this theatre in a decayed state in the Vol. 6, No. 2 issue of 2wice magazine.
There are shots of the torn up seats as well as a Matador outfit hanging in a dressing room photographed by Andrew Moore.
Their website is:www.2wice.org
(Just click on the Glow issue)
In addition there are other photos of the rundown 42nd Street theatres on the photographers website at www.andrew-moore.info
(Click on Times Square 1995-2005 and enjoy!)

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 11, 2005 at 11:10 am

If you take a look at the third photo in Jerry’s post of July 27th, you can also see a “Soda Fountain” sign for the Grand Luncheonette that was located (as discussed above) under the marquee sharing the 1st floor of the now-collapsed Selwyn building with the theater’s outer lobby. The Grand might have operated under a different name at the time this photo was taken.

I recently found the negatives for a series of photos I took on 42nd Street and Times Square in October of ‘93. I’m going to have them transferred onto disc and will link to them on this site as soon as I can post them on my photobucket account.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on July 27, 2005 at 8:19 am

Ken,
If you look at the last image above, you get a partial view of Bickford’s. j

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on July 27, 2005 at 8:14 am

Sorry, something amiss with my earlier post. Here is the 3rd link. 3D on the Deuce: j

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 27, 2005 at 8:02 am

Note that behind the Selwyn marquee is the Apollo showing The Lost One (La Traviata). Opera on 42nd Street!

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on July 27, 2005 at 7:13 am

Here are some Selwyn images from 1953 & 1954 including 3D on the Deuce: j

rlvjr
rlvjr on June 18, 2005 at 1:28 pm

The SELWYN or American Airlines THEATRE is a beautifully created and beautifully restored theatre. The lobby and entrance, site of the collapse, are new. The ill-informed staff there think the theatre used to be the “Sullivan” and when asked will either tell you it’s brand new/modern or restored classic; whatever you want to hear. Never mind. Great theatre. The show, THE CONSTANT WIFE, was AAA+. LADIES, tell you a secret: Avoid the long line at the Ladies Room near the Bar. Go downstairs to the big lobby down there — NO LINE at the downstairs (main) rest room.

br91975
br91975 on April 20, 2005 at 11:08 pm

Here’s a news story confirming the Grand Luncheonette’s location underneath the marquee of and to the right side of the entranceway to the Selwyn: View link

(The Nedick’s made reference to earlier today was located on the southwest corner of 7th and 42nd, on the spot presently occupied by Champs Sports.)

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on April 20, 2005 at 9:48 pm

Benjamin,
I have a postcard from the Museum of the City of NY with a 1950 shot of a crowd going into the Garden. Send me your email address and I’ll try to get a scanned copy to you.

I just tried the link above to the video clip and it worked. After clicking on the link, it should take you to the getty images website then click on “play clip”. It’s a great clip (from 8mm in a moving car?) of the entire north side. Jerry

Benjamin
Benjamin on April 20, 2005 at 6:11 pm

Jerry, thanks for the confirmation and added details about MSG! (I know you’re looking for photos of 42nd St.; I’d love to run across a photo of the inside of the MSG “arcade.” So far, I’ve only been able to find photos of the exterior that just give a hint of the aracade.)

Regarding, the photo of the New Amsterdam: if I’m looking at the correct photo on the New Amsterdam page (posted on Sun., 4/17/05), the Nedick’s shown is on the southwest corner of 42nd and Seventh Ave., a few doors down from the New Amsterdam.

But there used to be a snack stand that was just “inside” the entrance to a theater on the north side of 42nd St. (This snack stand was on the right side of the entrance.) Whether this was the Selwyn Theater, or another theater, I’m not sure. Also, whether it was a true “Nedick’s” — or a Nedick’s-“type” place — I’m also not sure.

I haven’t been able to access your video clip to compare it to what I remember. But I’m guessing that perhaps you just never gave the snack stand a second thought because to you it seemed like just another snack stand on 42nd St. “next to” — rather than “inside” — a movie theater entrance? This would certainly be a reasonable perception, since it really WAS just another snack stand on 42nd St. next to a movie theater entrance. The “inside” part, while somewhat unusual was also somewhat subtle — and perhaps more noticeable to people unfamiliar with 42nd St.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on April 20, 2005 at 5:35 pm

I don’t recall a snack stand inside any of the entrances. There was a Nedicks next to the New Amsterdam (see the photo I posted under the New Amsterdam earlier this week). The only Nedicks that I recall on the north side was in the subway entrance at 8th ave.

See the video clip of the north side from the mid 50s that I posted earlier Here’s the link View link

And yes, Benjamin, the old MSG at 50th & 8th had a Davega Sporting Goods and a Nedick’s in the arcade entrance. Jerry

hardbop
hardbop on April 20, 2005 at 3:45 pm

That sounds right Benjamin. Thanx. It is part of a vanished New York.