AMC Loews 34th Street 14

312 West 34th Street,
New York, NY 10001

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2006 at 4:47 am

I understand AMC always re-brands their acquired theaters, but there is still hope that the Loew’s name will live on in the 10 theaters that AMC had to sell off in order to win approval for the merger. This includes the Loew’s E-Walk on 42nd Street.

YMike
YMike on January 25, 2006 at 4:15 am

I wonder if AMC will raise the ticket prices at the 34th st. Loews was charging $9.50 at this venue.

pbubny
pbubny on January 25, 2006 at 4:12 am

Yeah, the changeover from Loews to AMC will probably be quick, but it won’t be instantaneous. I wouldn’t expect anybody living near a Loews to wake up on Friday morning and find that all the Loews signage, etc. has been replaced overnight! enjoytheshow.com and the Loews name will probably be around for at least a few more weeks.

YMike
YMike on January 25, 2006 at 4:11 am

I’m sure this theatre will not close. It’s only about 5 years old.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 25, 2006 at 4:00 am

All of the other NYC Loews theatres, except this one and the State, have showtimes listed after tomorrow at EnjoyTheShow.com . But yeah, we’ll see on Friday….

pbubny
pbubny on January 25, 2006 at 3:53 am

I was going to suggest checking over at the AMC Website for post-1/26 showtimes, but as of today (1/25) there’s no indication of the changeover (i.e. no theatres/showtimes listed other than those that were already AMC branded before the merger). Presumably Jan. 27 will be a different story.

As far as I can tell, AMC will simply rebrand all the new acquisitions as AMC—and quickly, as they did when they took over the two former GCC sites near where I live. The company doesn’t appear to have kept any original chain names from its earlier acquisitions (unlike Regal with U.A. and Edwards).

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 25, 2006 at 2:52 am

No showtimes are listed for this theatre on Loew’s website (EnjoyTheShow.com) after tomorrow. Then, starting on February 10th, just one movie is scheduled. What’s going on here?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 10, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Yes… My cynicism aside, I would also like to see the Loew’s name continue on (even if the theaters themselves are pale shadows of the original showplaces associated with the circuit).

LuisV
LuisV on January 10, 2006 at 1:32 pm

Just the same, I wish they would keep the Loew’s name. There is so much history associated with this name, not only in New York, but nationwide, it would be a shame to lose it to an acronym. :–)

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 10, 2006 at 10:44 am

The only reason they keep the old theater-chain names after mergers is to advance the illusion of free market competition!

LuisV
LuisV on January 10, 2006 at 9:19 am

Hey Mike,

The Showplace closed because they opened the Loew’s Kip’s Bay 3,000 seat megaplex around the corner on 2nd Avenue and 31st St. which is also a great theater comparable to Loew’s 34th. Down the road, the Loew’s 34th St. theater will become more succesful as more people move to north Chelsea. It was just announced that a 60 story rental building has just started construction on W. 31st St. A sign of things to come!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 10, 2006 at 8:00 am

Luis
Another interseting point is why they opened another theater on 34th st after they closed the very popular 34th St Showplace on the east side. Every theater that was on 34th st is now gone except the new Loews. I am sure AMC will keep there name as they did with all theother mergers.

LuisV
LuisV on January 10, 2006 at 7:26 am

With the BIG exception of the placement of the bathrooms (I also don’t know what they were thinking) I really like Loew’s 34th St. The actual theaters are very comfortable, have big screens, great sound and stadium seating. I live in Chelsea on 22nd St. and even though Clearview’s Chelsea Cinemas is only a block away, my partner and I (and many friends) routinely go up to 34th St because it is a superior theater.

My only guess as to why Loew’s put this megaplex only 8 blocks from their 42nd St property is the fear that another chain (Regal for example) might have opened there and provided additional competition in the area. So they took the site themselves. It will be interesting to see what divestments are made as AMC merges with Loew’s.

p.s. Does anyone know if the Loew’s name is disappearing? I really hope not.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on January 10, 2006 at 4:44 am

Are all the screens in this place the same size?

Went to see “Munich” here on Sunday morning and was very happy with the very large, curved screen in theater 6. The only drawback is the lack of restrooms on each floor and total absence of water fountains. Otherwise, this place seems as good as their Kip’s Bay theater.

hardbop
hardbop on October 3, 2005 at 5:31 am

That “Free Movie Thursday” promotion seems to be doing well. A month or so ago I tried to get in to see “A River Runs Through It.” I got there at 7:30 for an 8 p.m. screening and all tickets were gone.

Last Thursday I tried again and got there at 5 for an 8 p.m. screening of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and was able to get a ticket and I asked the ticket taker what is a good time to get there to assure getting in and she told me there were times when all tickets were gone by 5 o'clock so I guess it depends on what the film is.

“Ferris” didn’t come close to selling out by the way.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 11, 2005 at 7:45 am

Maybe they were thinking it would do well since all the other theaters on 34th St closed, Murry Hill. 34th St EAst and Loews 34th St Showplace.I still cringe at the thought of AMC purchasing this chain.

hardbop
hardbop on July 11, 2005 at 6:37 am

If AMC and Loews do merge, look for the combined company to divest itself of this turkey. That is if they can find anyone to take it off their hands. Like the decision of Regal to put up that ‘plex in Battery Park City, putting a theatre at this location was a dunderheaded move. What were they thinking?

I am on the e-mail list for this theatre and they now are marketing a singles night at this theatre. For FANTASTIC FOUR they held a screening “just for singles.”

hardbop
hardbop on May 29, 2005 at 7:53 am

Boy this theater must be doing real well. In June, they’ve booked or rented part of the theater to the New York Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Festival. That fest is also using the Loews State, a theater on its last legs.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on May 1, 2005 at 5:35 pm

I’ve gone to the fan favorites as well, for free you can’t beat it. I think Loews Cineplex does this in other cities like Chicago, Boston & DC.

cjdv
cjdv on April 29, 2005 at 3:06 pm

While there is nothing that grabs me for May, I usually attend the Thursday night film series (called “Fan Favorites”) for the simple reason—its free:

At least I haven’t paid for a ticket yet.

William
William on April 29, 2005 at 12:51 pm

One problem with booking older titles is that there are only used exchange prints available, at this time or not available at all. The studio will have a studio copy of the film most of the times, but they tend to only book them for special event type screening. They also sometimes do not like to send them platter type houses.

hardbop
hardbop on April 29, 2005 at 11:57 am

To the management of the Loews 34th Street ‘plexes credit, they have a Thursday night series where they show a classic film. Each month there is a different theme. In May they are doing disaster films. I hoped they would screen those Irwin Allen produced schlocky films that haven’t been seen in the big screen in years. Films like “Towering Inferno,” “Earthquake,” “Poseiden Adventure,” et al.

Real banal progamming. The two films in the “disaster” series are “The Perfect Storm” and “Deep Impact.”

C'mon Loews show some more imagination.

br91975
br91975 on April 19, 2005 at 4:43 pm

Pardon my bluntless, but whatever the hell Loews was thinking when they built this theatre is beyond me. The neighborhood it’s in is hardly one of the more traditional residential ones in Manhattan (perhaps it’ll be more of one if the West Side Stadium plan falls through and Cablevision’s alternate plan to convert the area above the rail yards into a mostly residential stretch of property becomes a reality); the MSG and shopping crowds, for the most part, don’t come into the area to see a movie as well; and, of course, there’s 38 screens eight blocks to the north showing the same exact films. What a wasted idea on Loews' behalf…

hardbop
hardbop on April 19, 2005 at 10:11 am

One other annoying aspect of this gigantic theatre is the background. The auditoriums are actually on levels two and three with a lobby on the street level. You take two escalators to get to the first level of theatres and a second escalator to get to the second level of theatres.

The problem is that the bathrooms — at least the men’s room — is on the second level of theatres so if nature calls and you are in one of those theatres on the first level, it is a long walk and an escalator ride. I don’t know what the Loews people were thinking when they designed the theatre this way.

bamtino
bamtino on April 18, 2005 at 6:23 pm

The reserved seating concept was actually introduced to the Loews circuit with the opening of the Loews Waterfront Theatre in 1998.

A few other notes on the 34th Street:

Shortly after its opening in the autumn of 2001, the theatre served as the testing ground for the company’s Reel Moms program, which caters to caregivers with infants. The program, brainchild of LCE VP of Marketing John McCauley, proved such a success that it was expanded to twenty cities within two years and spawned imitators throughout the industry.

Within just a year of opening (and presumably because of disappointing attendance), the theatre’s ticket price was reduced to $8.99, a relative bargain in Manhattan.

The theatre’s web address is View link