AMC Loews 34th Street 14

312 West 34th Street,
New York, NY 10001

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 17, 2008 at 11:16 pm

West 34th Street should be an aka here.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on July 17, 2008 at 8:32 pm

In November of this year, this theatre, along with The AMC Empire 25 and the AMC Loews Kips Bay 15, will be a Digital IMAX Theatre.

verranth1
verranth1 on June 1, 2008 at 8:13 pm

I went to the latest Indiana Jones there – literally – out of desperation – due to sold out shows at other theatres.

Here’s what I found.

A big – stadium seating – theatre with an enormous semi-curved screen (theatre 13)…..

good seats (the leather ones were insane) – plenty of leg room ……

Vacumed floors…semi clean restrooms – varied and plentiful candy counters…

excellent sound…

pleasent crowd..

I’m a 34th street boy from now on!

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on May 26, 2008 at 1:17 am

Is this place doing any business yet?

hardbop
hardbop on May 10, 2006 at 7:24 am

I attended several screenings here as part of the Tribeca Film Fest. I attended at least two screenings in theatre 11 and there was a problem with sound leakage from the booth into the theatre. It sounded as if the sound from one of the other theatres leaked into theatre 11. It appeared to be coming from the projection booth so it could have been someone playing a radio in the projection booth, people talking in the booth or people outside in the lobby talking. It was very annoying.

I didn’t notice the noise problem occuring in Theatre 10, which is across the lobby from Theatre 11, 12 & 13.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 1, 2006 at 10:55 pm

This is now being advertised as the WEST 34TH STREET in newspapers since AMC took over.

LuisV
LuisV on January 26, 2006 at 10:11 am

I have to stick up for Loew’s 34th St. This theater is Vastly superior in every way to Chelsea Cinemas, but one: Location!
My partner and I gladly walk the extra few blocks to this theater to enjoy the stadium seating, superior sound, sight lines and overall environment. Yes, the restroom situation is annoying, but I can live with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this neighborhood and I think it makes excellent business sense for AMC to hold onto this complex. A 60 story luxural rental complex has broken ground around the corner and there is much more development on the way. Regarding RobertR’s comment that “Sadly someday these places will be remembered as treasures.”…. We don’t know what the future of theaters will be. Loew’s 34th may indeed be regarded as a True Cinema Treasure and I don’t think it’s sad. I truly enjoy watching movies here and ultimately that makes it a treasure, not along the lines of Radio City, Loew’s Wonder theaters and the Roxy, but a treaure nonetheless.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 26, 2006 at 1:59 am

Looks like they finally put Friday showtimes up for this theatre at EnjoyTheShow.com a few hours ago. Sorry for the false alarm, folks.

YMike
YMike on January 26, 2006 at 1:57 am

The same problem existed at the “Worldwide theatre”. When it first opened it was “state of the art” but since it was located between 8th & 9th ave. (Like the 34th st.), few people would go there. Eventially the theatre dropped first run films and screened second run films for $2 and even then it was several years before crowds were seen there.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2006 at 3:32 pm

It’s not a trashy neighborhood, I just don’t think there’s a lot of foot traffic along 8th Avenue outside of business hours. If the theater were just 1 block to the east, near 7th Ave, you’d see a higher admission price.

YMike
YMike on January 25, 2006 at 9:37 am

There are water fountains on 2 levels. Near the rest rooms and on the top level near theatres 9 & 10. I think they charge a little less because the threatre is between 8th & 9th ave. But there is nothing wrong with the neighborhood.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on January 25, 2006 at 9:27 am

I was impressed with the big screen when seeing “Munich” in theater #6 several Sundays back. Early morning shows are great. Pick any seat, barely any ticket or concession lines, no rowdy customers.

Why doesn’t this theater have any water fountains?
Isn’t that a health code violation ??

Having restrooms on one floor is stupid.
Overall though, I will return.
Why are they charging less per ticket than Kip’s Bay?
Because it’s a trashy neighborhood maybe??
Maybe because the neighborhood is slightly trashy?

RobertR
RobertR on January 25, 2006 at 8:10 am

Sadly someday these places will be remembered as treasures.

YMike
YMike on January 25, 2006 at 6:21 am

Except for the escalators that never seem to be all working at the same time this is one of the best multi-plexs in the city. Much better than the Lincoln Square or the Kips Bay. And at least right now a ticket there is cheaper then at the other theatres in Manhattan.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2006 at 5:35 am

Bob… there are scores (maybe hundreds) of theaters listed on this site that could hardly be considered “treasures.” Since the site’s database is basically maintained by its members, it seems to have become a repository for every single movie house (old or new, palatial or utilitarian) that we the users know to be (or to have been) in existence. This is the reasonable trade-off that one must accept for having the “Add Theaters” function available to all. Sure, it drives the database a bit off point, but I don’t think I’d want it any other way.

In any event, the 34th Street might be a great place – within the context of the modern megaplex era – to see a movie; with big screens, solid presentation, great sight lines and comfortable accommodations. While it certainly is not a “treasure” in the sense that many of the great old palaces were, it still might be a place worth treasuring when compared to some of the other god-awful dumps that have also been added to the site (see Movieworld in Douglaston or the dreadful but thankfully departed Cinema City 5 in Fresh Meadows).

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 25, 2006 at 5:33 am

We treasure all theatres.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on January 25, 2006 at 5:12 am

Can someone please explain to me why this new Megaplex is a “Cinema Treasure?”

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2006 at 4:47 am

I understand AMC always re-brands their acquired theaters, but there is still hope that the Loew’s name will live on in the 10 theaters that AMC had to sell off in order to win approval for the merger. This includes the Loew’s E-Walk on 42nd Street.

YMike
YMike on January 25, 2006 at 4:15 am

I wonder if AMC will raise the ticket prices at the 34th st. Loews was charging $9.50 at this venue.

pbubny
pbubny on January 25, 2006 at 4:12 am

Yeah, the changeover from Loews to AMC will probably be quick, but it won’t be instantaneous. I wouldn’t expect anybody living near a Loews to wake up on Friday morning and find that all the Loews signage, etc. has been replaced overnight! enjoytheshow.com and the Loews name will probably be around for at least a few more weeks.

YMike
YMike on January 25, 2006 at 4:11 am

I’m sure this theatre will not close. It’s only about 5 years old.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 25, 2006 at 4:00 am

All of the other NYC Loews theatres, except this one and the State, have showtimes listed after tomorrow at EnjoyTheShow.com . But yeah, we’ll see on Friday….

pbubny
pbubny on January 25, 2006 at 3:53 am

I was going to suggest checking over at the AMC Website for post-1/26 showtimes, but as of today (1/25) there’s no indication of the changeover (i.e. no theatres/showtimes listed other than those that were already AMC branded before the merger). Presumably Jan. 27 will be a different story.

As far as I can tell, AMC will simply rebrand all the new acquisitions as AMC—and quickly, as they did when they took over the two former GCC sites near where I live. The company doesn’t appear to have kept any original chain names from its earlier acquisitions (unlike Regal with U.A. and Edwards).

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 25, 2006 at 2:52 am

No showtimes are listed for this theatre on Loew’s website (EnjoyTheShow.com) after tomorrow. Then, starting on February 10th, just one movie is scheduled. What’s going on here?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 10, 2006 at 5:16 pm

Yes… My cynicism aside, I would also like to see the Loew’s name continue on (even if the theaters themselves are pale shadows of the original showplaces associated with the circuit).