AMC 34th Street 14

312 W. 34th Street,
New York, NY 10001

xbs2034
xbs2034 on April 11, 2017 at 5:35 am

It may be changing soon, but as of yesterday there is still Loews signage on the marquee.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 10, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I thought Muvico was a great showplace for movies. They had so many in Florida. Real beauties! The Palace in Boca Raton & the Paradise near Miami and the Parisian in Palm Beach were top notch! When I saw the Palace’s sign changed to Cinemark, I knew they were in trouble with all the buildings built around the same time. Then I saw Carmike name added to the other Muvicos and I knew thats curtains for Muvico! I had never heard of Carmike. I am sorry AMC rules now..

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 10, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Actually, not Loew’s but LOEWS for the last 47 years

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 10, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Loew’s not Lowe’s

rayman29
rayman29 on April 10, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Yes, the deal became official in December, and all former Carmike theatres are scheduled to be be renamed by the end of this month.

The reason AMC is finally removing Lowe’s from theatre names has to do with AMC buying Carmike. With the Carmike buyout finished, AMC is now the largest theatre chain in the U.S. As a result, AMC has decided to get rid of the names of theatres they acquired so every theatre now just carries the AMC name. AMC now has 3 brands, AMC Amazing (flagship theatres, amazing isn’t part of the name or the signs) AMC Classic (smaller theatres in towns and small cities, mostly former Carmike locations, although AMC has said they will use this name on other locations as well), and AMC Dine In (replacing Dine and Fork, and Carmike’s Dine In locations named Ovation Cinemas)

BobbyS, do you mean the whole history of Carmike, or just of AMC buying it?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 10, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Bobby S the AMC/Carmike merger went through. They started in Florida first and last month NC. My local theater officially became an AMC theater March 30. Carmike was the worst chain ever.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 10, 2017 at 10:11 am

I believe the AMC takeover of Carmike was turned down by the courts. What is the history of Carmike?

rayman29
rayman29 on April 9, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Google tends to update its street view images every 3 or 4 years. The current one of this theatre is from June 2014, so it probably will be updated this year if not next year.

AMC’s website still says AMC Lowe’s. I’m sure AMC will change that soon, but they’re probably more focused on getting all the former Carmike theatres listed on AMC’s website first.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 9, 2017 at 7:53 am

https://www.amctheatres.com/dolby dolby cinema is coming soon to this theater.

robboehm
robboehm on April 8, 2017 at 7:08 pm

The Google street photo is still the same. How often does that update.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 8, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Photo should be changed to a new one with just the AMC logo and the banner all popcorn.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 24, 2017 at 9:31 am

Arclight is so overated. With a name like that no marquees. Two in Chicago. One blander than the other. Walk by and hardly know its a movie theater! Wonder why they chose that name which represents old way of showing films in the golden years?

mhvbear
mhvbear on March 21, 2017 at 8:21 am

Would not be surprised to hear that Arclight might locate in Hudson Yards. I see they are opening a location in Boston.

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 21, 2017 at 8:12 am

The three chains mentioned were Cinemex, Landmark & CineMark, there is also another Landmark location planned for the far west 50’s I believe. Have not heard of any theatres for Hudson Yards planned.

optimist008
optimist008 on March 21, 2017 at 5:57 am

theatrefan,

Not sure about the above theater chain project in the financial district, but the NY Post reported months back that either Cinemark or Cinepolis may build a basement theater in a soon to be revamped office building next to the Federal Reserve. Anybody heard if a theater planned for Hudson Yards mega project??

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 21, 2017 at 4:43 am

You forgot about Regal I believe they have stopped masking in certain locations as well. Anybody here know what ever happened to the planned Cineplex Odeon project in the Wall Street area from the mid nineties that never came to fruition? I suppose the financial difficulties they were having during that era put the brakes on it.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 20, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Cineplex Odeon brought new life to the movie scene here in Chicago. I had high hopes for them and when they became Loews Cineplex I had even more hopes for the Loews name was always great to see and the history of the name. AMC is a bland name and the fact they are owned outside USA makes me avoid their cinemas. And they stopped masking the screens! Of course Cinemark did too.

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 19, 2017 at 3:54 pm

What’s funny is that for years after you could still make out the Cineplex Odeon logo on the facade of the Chelsea & First & 62nd theaters. Also up in Canada they have dropped Odeon from the name and are now known as Cineplex Entertainment. I miss the old purple Cineplex logo, it was very indicative of the eighties.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on March 19, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Cineplex Odeon still exists in Canada as a company. Sign change approval is notoriously slow in Manhattan. Even bringing down a flag can require a permit.

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 19, 2017 at 2:34 pm

They probably will remember. All of the changing out is supposed to happen between now and June, so please let us know what they wind up doing out there. As the Cineplex Odeon name vanishes here, it’s still going strong up in Canada.

robboehm
robboehm on March 18, 2017 at 5:57 am

Speaking to a friend in California. He said all signage was changed immediately out there. The Shore in Huntington still has a Cineplex Odeon vertical (they never had an AMC anything). Curious to see if they remember that.

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 18, 2017 at 5:29 am

As soon as AMC took over in January 2006 all Uniforms, concession stand signage, popcorn bags, soda cups, ticket stubs, film snipes had the AMC logo emblazoned on them so you can tell basically where they were eventually headed, although it has taken 11 years to finally change the marquee’s of whatever Loews & Cineplex Odeon signage is still left at this point.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 16, 2017 at 11:49 pm

I am only surprised it took so long for AMC to drop LOEWS name. Wish they would have dropped AMC when they took over and called all their theatres LOEWS. But I am sure that was never even thought about…Out with the old & so on…..

theatrefan
theatrefan on March 10, 2017 at 12:33 am

The Legacy Loews exterior signage will be removed and replaced by the AMC Brand –

poland626
poland626 on December 7, 2016 at 3:05 pm

@xbs2034, I assumed empire 25 was the smallest as 34th does open up sometimes for the digital films.

Yea I’ve seen the letterboxing on regular films, I can’t imagine what this will look like. I hope some reviews start coming out in a day or two.