Warner Theatre

213 W. Sheridan Avenue,
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Unfavorite 4 people favorited this theater

Showing 26 - 36 of 36 comments

jchapman1
jchapman1 on April 8, 2007 at 12:03 am

Historic photographs can be seen of this theatre as the Overholser, Orpheum, and Warner. Click on individual images for larger views -
View link

seymourcox
seymourcox on March 31, 2007 at 5:32 pm

While early 1903 advertisements appeared for films shown inside a tent at the Barnum Circus, and later at the 1903 Oklahoma State Fair, the earliest newspaper ad I’ve been able to locate that promote a moving picture shown inside an established Oklahoma City theatre is dated March 12, 1904. On that date Overholser Opera House (AKA- Orpheum, Warner) presented a Kinodrome movie entitled “Cinderella”.
From September 4th thru the 11th, 1908, the Overholser advertised “Moving Talking Pictures”.

Okie
Okie on August 5, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Amoungst these antique postcards can be found images of OKC’s Liberty (AKA-Harbor, Cooper), Market Theatre, and original 1903 facade of the Overholser Opera House (AKA-Orpheum, Warner) before John Eberson’s 1919 renovation.
Of interest to theatre buffs; note the Ramsey Building postcard. This skyscraper was designed by architect W.W. Ahlschlager who also created NYC’s famed Roxy Theatre.
View link

Okie
Okie on April 23, 2006 at 11:27 am

Please excuse above typo. Click this address for image-
View link

Okie
Okie on April 23, 2006 at 11:22 am

In 1917 photo journalist Lewis W. Hine exposed child labor through pictures. Some of his prints also captured OKC theatre history. Here one of Hine’s pictures illustrates a coming attractions poster for Overholser Opera House (AKA-Orpheum, Warner);
View link

Okie
Okie on April 23, 2006 at 1:27 am

Click here to see result of John Eberson’s 1920 renovation;
View link

Okie
Okie on March 26, 2006 at 2:30 pm

An architectural sketch of the Orpheum renovation, along with good shots of the newly remodelled interior, can be located on oklahoman archive web site, January 23, 1921. pages.

xxx
xxx on February 6, 2006 at 7:04 pm

Correct address for the downtown Warner Theater should read;
213 W Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City

xxx
xxx on October 22, 2005 at 6:06 pm

Vintage post card views of the Overholser Opera House can be seen here on the downtown album. This is the original facade, before John Eberson’s beautiful Adamesque remodel job;
http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/

xxx
xxx on September 28, 2005 at 11:38 am

When the Overholser opened in 1903 it had three shallow balconies, and four tiers of box seats, with a total seating capacity of 2400. John Eberson’s 1920 Adamesque remodel for Kieth Albee replaced the three balconies with one long, steeply sloped, cantilever balcony which reduced seating to 2200. Warner Brothers gained control in 1928 and installed new, wider chairs, and expanded leg room between seats, which caused a reduction of 200 chairs. Cinerama installation resulted in an even further reduced capacity.

xxx
xxx on August 7, 2005 at 10:51 am

Opened in 1903 as OVERHOLSER OPERA HOUSE, this was a big time stage show playhouse.
Keith-Albee took over in 1921, comissioned John Eberson to produce a complete Adamesque renovation. Renamed ORPHEUM, it began presenting Interstate Vaudeville acts.
When Warner Bros. gained control in 1928 they gave the interior and marquee a spruce up, changed the name to WARNER and tranformed it into a combo film/stage show venue. 1952 saw another modernization when it began new life as WARNER’S CINERAMA.
Razed 1964.