Walker Theater

6401 18th Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11204

RobertR
RobertR on June 6, 2006 at 6:11 am

They only tore the interior walls down that had been constructed for the quading, none of the theatre was ruined.

jvc57
jvc57 on June 2, 2006 at 5:21 am

Yes it was a wonderfull theater. I remember the double features//Midnight movies/Italian movies and live entertainment//Closed circuit TV Ali And Frasier The Balcony…Roosevelt diner Davinci pizza cant remember the name of ice cream place on 18ave 69-70st next to cafe (part of cafe)it was a great place to grow up on the ave.
Also does anyone have any history about the Cotillian terrace 18ave 74-75st. I heard it was a theater with a parking area in basement????

ERD
ERD on January 18, 2006 at 7:08 am

As I said in my Oct.27th, Nov.8th & Nov.9th posts, some interested person or group should take an interest in trying to restore the Walker theatre. It is still intact, covered by a shell, and would be affordable. It is a more practicacle idea than trying to restore theatres in the borough that are too far gone. If I did not live so far now, I certainly would have tried to started something. A theatre like this should be preserved for this & future generations.

ERD
ERD on January 18, 2006 at 7:08 am

LuisV
LuisV on January 18, 2006 at 6:45 am

Thanks ERD, (and Warren!)

It is truly beautiful and exciting to think that is might all still be there. But for how long?

ERD
ERD on January 17, 2006 at 5:55 am

LuisV, See Warren’s post of August 14, 2005 for an excellent picture of of the Walker’s auditorium before multiplexing.

LuisV
LuisV on January 17, 2006 at 5:38 am

I don’t suppose anyone has any pictures of this theater, inside or out? My curiosity has been piqued.

ERD
ERD on November 9, 2005 at 6:36 am

correction for the above post: Unlike other theatres that are closed, it is certainly finacally possible to restore.

ERD
ERD on November 9, 2005 at 4:58 am

I realize that the Walker is 100% intact, as Robert says in the above post. That is why I feel something should be done before years go by and it is too late. This beautiful theatre is a treasure for the boro of Brooklyn. It is something that should be done for future generations. As a performing arts center it could bring back some of the culture Brooklyn has lost. Unlike theatres, it is certainly financially possible.

RobertR
RobertR on November 8, 2005 at 4:29 pm

The Walker is 100% intact behind the retail walls. Remember it was all restored when they quaded it and then it was only used for a few years.

ERD
ERD on November 8, 2005 at 3:36 pm

The more I hear about the phenomenal costs it would take to restore former movie palaces in Brooklyn, the more convinced I am that the beautiful Walker should someday be considered before more alterations or eventual destruction takes place.

ERD
ERD on October 27, 2005 at 6:25 pm

A lot of people mention the restoration of Loew’s Kings, but I think it would be a great idea to try and restore the Walker. It was a beautiful theatre, and it would be more afforadable than many of the other closed movie palaces.. I now live very far from Brooklyn, so I can’t get involved in this idea. Perhaps someone living in Brooklyn who has strong feelings for the Walker can get a group together.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on September 2, 2005 at 12:01 pm

Here’s a link to the Brooklyn Library site with a photo of the Walker. Abbott & Costello’s “It’s Ain’t Hay” was the attraction.

Theaterat
Theaterat on August 22, 2005 at 8:51 am

Again warren, thanks for this excellent interior shot of the Walker. You are doing all of us theaterbuffs a great favor! Thank you.

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on July 16, 2005 at 9:22 am

To the best of my knowledge, the theater organ being worked on at Loew’s Jersey is the Wonder Morton Organ that was once at the Loew’s Paradise in the Bronx. Perhaps someone else has the definitive answer as to what happened to the Walker Wurlitzer.

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 16, 2005 at 8:08 am

EDR… I am not sure, but rumors surrounding it claim it was either given- or sold to the Loews Jersey after being in storage somewhere for a few years.

ERD
ERD on July 16, 2005 at 7:04 am

The Walker Wurlitzer theatre organ (HNP 2/10) was restored in the 1970’s or early 80’s. Does anyone know what has happened to it?

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 15, 2005 at 8:34 am

New Years Day of 1970 was a mid week holiday, After having dinner at my grandparents house, the adults would play cards or talk in Italian so us kids could not understand them. The Walker had a double feature that week. Playing was “Krakatoa, East of Java” – in reality it is West- and “The devils Brigade”. I went with my younger brother because there was not really anything to do. “Krakatoa” was a Jules Verne like adventure of a disparate group of people on a steamer in the area of the volcano and earthquake. It was a good movie that I really enjoyed. The co- feature"The Devil`s Brigade" was a “Dirty Dozwn” type WWII movie that was also entertaining in it1s own right. This show was so good that we went to see it again on a Saturday night a few days later in early 1970.

RobertR
RobertR on July 15, 2005 at 5:52 am

Nothing in the Walker was allowed to be destroyed when it was converted to a store. The theatre could be put back together very easily. Blame UA (who else) that this is not a theatre anymore.

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 15, 2005 at 5:38 am

Robert R … Amazing, isn1t it? This show was playing at 28 theaters in Brooklyn in 1968. 37 years later, Brooklyn has exactly 9 theaters left.

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 14, 2005 at 7:36 am

As built, the Walker had no seperate entrance from the inner lobby to the orchestra section, but after the theater was renovated in the early 80s, one was added.

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 14, 2005 at 7:32 am

There is now a “ANNIE SAYS” and a “Mandees” clothing shop where the Walker once stood. When you enter, there is a slight upwards incline that was left from the original outer lossy, A security guard stands in exactly the same place where the ticket taker once stood. It almost seems like you are entering the theater but, of course you are not. Spoke to a maintenence person and he says that all the decorative work in the theater is covered by false walls and celing panels. Wonder if the shoppers here have any idea of the great theater that once occupied this space?.

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2005 at 2:20 pm

Christmas 1968, check out the size of this print run. In Brooklyn 28 theatres

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 11, 2005 at 6:17 am

Theaterat,

Can’t wait to see your collection!