Bow-Tie Annapolis Mall 11

1020 Annapolis Mall,
Annapolis, MD 21401

JodarMovieFan on July 26, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Ahhh finally, some bloggers to share experiences with!

1, my favorite still has the THX plaque on it. Unless THX does not know they re still advertising THX certification, they should take it down. Otherwise, they must still have that auditorium certified.

I saw the latest ‘Ice Age: Continental Drift’ in 3D in #9. It was THX cert once upon a time, but the surrounds weren’t as powerful as it could have been. Sitting up towards the back, I was hoping for that immersive experience but heard mostly sounds in the front, with an occasional left speaker sound effect. Disappointing.

Also, the staff needs to be more attentive. The ticket taker took my ticket and forgot to give me 3D glasses while talking to the co-worker at the concession stand. Bad.

Given my lackluster experience in #9, it was even more disheartening to hear the loud end music to Batman Dark Knight Rises from #1. Hmmm. I’m holding out to see it in real IMAX when I have time to go downtown.

On a different note, it seems Bow Tie will be rolling out their own version of IMAX-lite and XD, with their BTX. They could easily tear down Screens 5 and 6 and combine them to one BIG 80' screened auditorium to compete with Cinemark’s XD and the IMAX-lite installs at AMC and Regal. Regal’s new Crofton venue will have IMAX-lite, so it makes sense to build one here to keep up with the competition.

DotTheEyes
DotTheEyes on July 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Oh, also: at both this theatre and its sister at the Harbour Center, I notice they’ve at long last decided to utilize their sound systems to their fullest. For the longest time, the Dolby 7.1 “ALL…AROUND…YOU” left/rear/right introduction just played as “ALL…dead air…YOU” in most every auditorium. This sound-system promo has been playing properly for the last month and a half or so.

DotTheEyes
DotTheEyes on July 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I saw The Amazing Spider-Man in 3-D in auditorium number two. The audio presentation proved solid, at times very dynamic, but otherwise a very unimpressive showing. Isn’t it now proper form to project 3-D features at levels brighter than usual, to counteract the glasses? The 2-D trailers (including The Dark Knight Rises, Lawless, and Total Recall) were incredibly dim and hazy, and the situation didn’t improve during the feature with the 3-D (sun)glasses on. Honestly, a bit of a disaster of a presentation; nauseating during the motion-filled action sequences, with the entire color palette reduced to a bland grey. I am not a huge fan of the 3-D illusion in general, but I’ve seen gorgeous and satisfactory 3-D presentations at this theatre before (Avatar, Fright Night), so I know they can do much, much better.

gofastjames
gofastjames on July 3, 2012 at 4:09 am

This is a nice place and its near by me. I let them know I will not be back till they have 4K projectors. Not having THX sucks but not as a big deal as 4k is. They were one of the last few that keep THX this long. My under standing every thing is still the same just made it 7.1 just no THX stamp or certification.

JodarMovieFan on June 23, 2012 at 8:05 am

Madagascar 3 in Digital (non-3D) was good in #1. Surrounds were very good. I think the film would have been better in 3D as there were many ‘in your face’ moments. The character eyes could have been drawn better as they looked too flat and dead. I know thats not the theater’s fault, but its just an observation that drew attention to itself during character close ups.

JodarMovieFan on June 17, 2012 at 5:37 am

I caught Men in Black in 3D Digital @ #7. This and #4 are not my favorite auditoriums. The picture seemed dark again probably because of the 3D. Sound was acceptable but not noteworthy. Movie was good and was surprisingly packed during the matinee showing.

JodarMovieFan on June 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Caught the new Johnny Depp movie “Dark Shadows” in #4 the other week. I enjoyed the movie better then I thought I would. As usual, the macabre nature of the Depp/Burton collaboration shows in this tv show send up. Unfortunately, the presentation was a bit off with sound and surrounds being a little off.

“Snow White and the Huntsmen” in #2 was better. The sound was appreciably up with good surrounds and digital crisp picture. Charlize Theron is surprisingly good as the evil Queen. The adult Snow White version borrows some visuals from Stephen Sommers ‘The Mummy’ remake especially with the soul sucking scene. No THX trailers at all. #1, #2 and #9 were supposedly THX certified. #1 still has the THX plaque, so the certs must still be in place.

JodarMovieFan on May 2, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I saw the updated ‘The Three Stooges’ in #4. Movie was enjoyable and surprised the theater was almost filled out and enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The actors captured the likeness and traits of the original to a t. I’m surprised the movie did not do better than it has.

JodarMovieFan on March 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I saw ‘Star Wars: The Phantom Menace’ in Digital 3D a few weeks ago. It was usual dark, with yet another Lucas tweak, at the beginning of the pod race. Sound and projection were good in #6.

The past week I saw ‘The Hunger Games’ in #1. As usual, the sound and picture were first rate. I love the Dolby 7.1 trailer, but miss the THX sound trailer. The movie is a bit overrated with elements of ‘The Handmaiden’s Tale’ and ‘The Running Man’ with the violent nature of the ‘game’ played with the kids.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm

JodarMovieFan, THX has a “find theater” function. Put in this zip code & it no appear. Here: http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies/find-a-thx-certified-cinema/

JodarMovieFan on February 3, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hmm. Finally, someone to share comments with this theater…I wonder why I no longer get notifications even when the site says I am subscribed to it.

CWK, if the venue is no longer THX certified, why are there THX plaques all over the place; at the box office and prominently and proudly displayed in #1? On the THX website, it still lists the venue as being certified. As such, someone must be paying for the certification status, otherwise, the plaques and website info would be taken down. Bring back and play the THX sound trailers, please. Surely there are digital version of them..I’m thinking the last one with the flower petals is DP, as they’ve played that in DP movies here before.

I have enjoyed various movies over the holidays and last month to include; ‘Footloose,’ ‘Joyful Noise’ and ‘The Grey’ last week to a soldout crowd in #1 opening weekend.

With all the updates, they need to reprogram the self service ticket kiosks to read/accept the BowTie movie card to avoid the lines at the box office when it gets busy. Regal and AMC do. :)

ColdWarKid
ColdWarKid on December 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

@JodarMovieFan

The Bow Tie Annapolis Mall XI no longer sports THX. Over the summer, the theater made the transition to 7.1 Dolby Surround in all houses in addition to equipping all of the screens with digital projectors. I would know: I work at the Bow Tie Annapolis Mall XI. This may explain the lack of a THX reel prior to the show.

JodarMovieFan on November 20, 2011 at 8:25 am

Caught Happy Feet 2 in #9. Very good projection and sound despite the darker 3D. No THX trailer played to show off the sound system, even though this is one of the 3 certified here. In fact, I do not think any THX trailer has played in any of the auditoriums since the sound/DP upgrade.

Courteous employee thanking us for coming as we were leaving the auditorium. On second thought, maybe he was thanking us because we were the last to leave so they could clean the place…

JodarMovieFan on November 10, 2011 at 7:39 am

Recently saw Footloose in #4 in DP last week. Film is a subpar remake. The updated songs do not have the same oomph as the originals. Casting for the leads is off with Ren McCormack now sporting a Bawston accent. Deniece Williams' signature song doesn’t play as richly as the original given the digital soundtrack.

Yesterday, I saw ‘Tower Heist’ in #11 in DP. Very good picture, digital crisp and decent sound. Nothing great soundtrack wise. Engaging movie.

I did buy concessions this time around. They need a better condiment station to have fresh onion, relish and a ketchup and mustard dispenser. Packets of relish and ketchup just don’t cut it. The hot dog was lukewarm. Next time, I’m going to sneak food in.

JodarMovieFan on July 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm

According to their website, this venue has gone all digital projection with 7.1 sound. I’m wondering if its 7.1 sound in ALL auditoriums or just the THX cert ones..or something else.

JodarMovieFan on June 26, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Caught Knight and Day in #1 after almost a year. They played the wonderful THX life trailer before the show and it seems some of the speakers up front and left began to crackle. Oh oh. There appears to be a new digital projector that does not crop the image as badly as the previous one. Picture is masked side to side but is full length from top to bottom.

The film, itself, was okay. I was expecting more of a Mr. & Mrs. Smith kind of romp. Cruise and Cameron are okay, but they do not sizzle on screen. Watching those two smile after each other made me feel like watching a toothpaste commercial with all that whiteness going on.

JodarMovieFan on May 30, 2010 at 5:45 pm

After a long absence, I returned to my favorite plex and saw King of Persia. Being opening weekend, I had hoped it would’ve been booked in #1, but they had it in #2, which isn’t too bad and the theater is THX certified. Movie was very good although it reminded me too much of the Mummy down to the musical score and the Princess, who sounds/acts too much like Rachel Weisz, also of the Mummy movies 1 and 2. And why is it the early Persians all have Brit accents? Terrific crisp sound from the sword clashes to the sand whirling about.

There is a new filmed BowTie intro. I suppose they are never going to go back to the personal intros even though they tout the personal touch in the filmed intro.

JodarMovieFan on August 8, 2009 at 8:17 pm

10 was rip roaring tonight with the showing of GI Joe in DLP and no air conditioning. The auditorium was packed and unfortunately, my niece took too much time enjoying her dinner to realize we should leave to get good seats. We ended up sitting smack in row 1. While my neck did feel some discomfort, the film was enjoyable if a bit cliche with the set up and characters. Channing Tatum stars and acts every bit of a plastic doll come to life. After reading the Variety review, I will agree that some of the visual effects lack polish as if sequences were rushed. What had seemed to be an improvement over the Matrix Reloaded highway chase scene sputters due to some fx shots that lose focus or or cut too quickly to fully realize.

JodarMovieFan on May 23, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Caught the new Terminator Salvation in #1, with the best sound in the area. The theater, itself, was barely full. I doubt this movie will open as big as Star Trek but the market it is saturated and perhaps attendance was fanned out. Unfortunately, they need to replace or use another THX trailer as when it was played, it was scratchy and did not properly showcase what this theater can do soundwise and projectionwise. I wish they’d bring back the popcorn seasonings.

JodarMovieFan on May 9, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Saw the new Star Trek opening night and again on Friday in #10. The presentation was truly exceptional. The theater rumbled when it needed to at the climax and one could feel the punches during the fight scenes. If only the screen were larger. I hope to catch the movie again here at least once more before it gets bumped.

JodarMovieFan on March 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm

10 has a new resident, a mouse, which made its debut to this patron during the showing of Coraline in Digital 3D a few Saturdays ago. My friend informed one of the managers on duty, who claimed they’ve laid out glue traps for it. Given the amount of kids that go through there, I don’t know if that was such a good idea. Also, the second concession stand being located just outside of 10 makes me wonder how clean things are there as far as food service goes. Not a good thing.

JodarMovieFan on November 23, 2008 at 6:26 pm

9 reportedly has DIgital 3D capability with the newly released “Bolt” animated feature from Disney.

JodarMovieFan on January 19, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Tonight, my ears are ringing as if I’ve been at a loud rock concert, but alas, it was due to the loud but excellent presentation of the movie, “Cloverfield”, in DP. The audience of mostly 20somethings and naval academy kids enjoyed the sold out show, which was introduced by one of the managers, but had little to say other than to move closer together to make room for others. I primarily wanted to see the new Star Trek teaser trailer and knew it would be attached to this movie being that J. J. Abrams and Paramount is involved in both films. Needless to say, I was not disappointed and am looking forward to more trailers for this movie as well as more movies at this, my favorite multiplex.

JodarMovieFan on December 30, 2007 at 12:46 pm

We saw the National Treasure sequel in #1, my favorite auditorium to a small audience given the size of the place and time (last showing). They debuted the new Horton Who THX trailer (I think). As usual, the presentation was virtually flawless, excellent surrounds. Sitting in my favorite seat, we were immersed into the adventure unfolding before us. The Goofy pre-movie cartoon was a pleasant surprise and showcased the theater’s sound capabilities given the theme was setting up your home theater.

Another plus is they don’t have pre-show commercials anymore! Now what multiplex does this nowadays? They need to bring back the personal introductions that Crown used to have. The Mashers have yet to reply to my suggestions to bring this aspect of showmanship back. Though one tid bit of welcome news is that their chain may go all-out Digital in 2008.

sguttag
sguttag on July 24, 2007 at 3:41 pm

The little four theatres were never near certification…the rest were to be and I think were. The little four do not have the THX baffle wall, are a bit under amped and have other compromises in them.

As to moving a DCinema system around…no it isn’t as simple as moving the projector and flipping a switch though if need be it could be made to be not too painful. The DCinema installation is every bit as complex as a film installation.

The original DCinema projector in theatre #11 was part of the original Technicolor DCinema systems. They were 1.3K systems. The projector at the Mall was the Christie DCP-I, I believe was its model number. While it did well, it is true that the 1.3K systems became unsupported by the Cinema industry (not the manufacturers of the projectors). That is one of the scary things about DCinema as it stands…it is easy for the studios to suddenly cease support of a format in common use…not just 1.3K systems but it has happened to MPEG servers too. That would have been another problem with the original system at the Mall…the server was Qualcom’s and they got out of the game too.

I have not been in the booth (shaped like a gigantic “T” since the 2K systems were installed so I can’t commment on what is up there now.

SG