Ahrya Fine Arts Cinema

8556 Wilshire Boulevard,
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

RevDORK
RevDORK on December 9, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Joe Vogel, great link! I have an article from when the theatre opened in 1937 and photos from a premiere in the 1950’s. I got them from the Beverly Hills libray a while back. I hope to get them up on the web soon.

RevDORK
RevDORK on December 9, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Mark, It’s Cecchi Gori.

Can I have the name at the top of the page read “Cecchi Gori Fine Arts Theatre”? Just like it used to be. I need to talk to our website guy about changing it on the CecchiGoriUSA.com website.

Thanks.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on December 9, 2009 at 2:04 pm

There is an “h” in Cecchi Gori, please take another look at the link posted on Dec 4 2009; the mistake at the top of the page is an additional “h.” “Checchi” is wrong.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 9, 2009 at 8:30 am

All the website links above have an “h” as do my own notes from attending a movie in 1998. Is there a photo link or other link that you can point to that didn’t have the “h” for this cinema?

meheuck
meheuck on December 9, 2009 at 1:45 am

There is no “h” in Cecci Gori (though it is pronounced with one) – the spelling should be corrected.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 8, 2009 at 4:47 am

Boxoffice of September 24, 1938, had a small photo showing the marquee of the Regina Theatre, looking much as it does now. The accompanying article is about a trend of creature-feature double bills the Regina set off when they booked “Dracula” and “Frankenstein” for a three-day run and ended up holding it over for four weeks.

RevDORK
RevDORK on December 4, 2009 at 8:37 pm

The link Lost Memory put up is for the former tenant of the building. The closet thing we have to a website right now is this page and http://www.CecchiGoriUSA.com . We’re working on a bright shiny website in the near future.

Anybody interested in being our booker or want to rent the theatre for a event/screening, drop me an e-mail and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks.

RevDORK
RevDORK on November 16, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I can be reached at

RevDORK
RevDORK on November 16, 2009 at 4:22 pm

We’re going back to the theatre being called “The Cecchi Gori Fine Arts Theatre”. Added a Cecchi Gori neon logo to the marquee. We’ll be doing screenings thru the end of awards season with an eye towards everyday theatre operations in the middle of January.

Anybody reccommend a good booker?

This is Casey, by the way, I’m running the place for a record-breaking 3rd time.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 14, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Theater is still closed. There is butcher paper on the windows.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on August 16, 2009 at 11:58 pm

According to their marquee, they are renovating and upgrading and plan to reopen in the Fall of 2009.

It also gives a website:

www.cecchigoriusa.com

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 7, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Here are photos from 1982 and 1984. The theater is in Beverly Hills, not Los Angeles, although the border between the two cities is about a block away.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Here is a 12/26/50 ad from the LA Times:

vokoban
vokoban on June 18, 2008 at 7:28 pm

I wonder if the 1938 horror revival continued into 1939 when Peter Lorre fell asleep in the theater. The article is posted above.

Champlin
Champlin on June 18, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Anyone have any recollection of The Night Porter opening here on October 30, 1974?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I saw a Brazilian film here a few years ago. It’s a nice venue.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 1, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Here are two photos from 1938 and 1959, respectively:

Simon Overton
Simon Overton on December 22, 2007 at 1:04 am

Mr. Musil’s name is listed under “Theater Architects” but it only lists ONE… I wonder why??? There are so many to his credit!

Simon Overton
Simon Overton on December 22, 2007 at 1:02 am

My neighbor and good friend, JOSEPH MUSIL -classic theater architect extraordinaire, is responsible for the present-day design of the Fine Arts Theatre auditorium and stage.

I’m not too sure as to the facade but I’m sure Joe will confirm by telephone: 714-667-6959…… Such talent can be seen in other theaters: Majestic Crest, Alex, El Capitan and more!

BarryL
BarryL on August 16, 2006 at 9:41 am

Alices Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie set an attendance record for the theatre during its 6 week run(under the seating configuration at the time). The morning cleanup crew was always amazed at the amount of marijuana they found in the auditorium. We sold an enormous amount of snack items, The Orange Winzit stand across Wilshire and Delores did great business.

BarryL
BarryL on August 15, 2006 at 2:10 pm

The seating capacity when I was there was 653. We used to stack the pre-cooked bags of popcorn from the popcorn facility in Culver City upstairs in the employee lounge. Sometimes that popcorn was on the shelf if we has a bad movie for 8-12 weeks

BarryL
BarryL on August 15, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Charlie Hawthorne was a prince of a man. He shared the duties with another man in the late 60’s and 70’s whose name I cannot recall. He was very forgiving when I messed up his payroll hours!

BarryL
BarryL on August 15, 2006 at 1:56 pm

I was the asst mgr under Jim Peters, who later transferred to the Village in Westwood for Love Story. I endured the stink bombs there during the Herald Examiner strikes and the bomb like The Charge of the Light Brigade with Trevar Howard and Ringo Starr. I also had the joy of Belle De Jour , Chitty Chitty Bang Bang( the childrens Premiere) and Monterey Pop.