Modjeska Theatre

1134 Historic W. Mitchell Street,
Milwaukee, WI 53204

JimRankin
JimRankin on October 2, 2006 at 4:34 pm

Neither here nor www.cinematour.com list any other MODJESKA, but quite possibly www.historictheatres.org does; contact them by E-mail through their Executive Director’s address there.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 2, 2006 at 3:44 pm

I found another Modjeska Theater in Augusta, Georgia. I’m not sure if it was ever a movie theater. Its located on Broad Street and is now a nightclub or bar. Anyone have any additional information on the Modjeska Theater in Georgia?

Piercedtrailerparkdiva
Piercedtrailerparkdiva on October 2, 2006 at 3:10 pm

I grew up in milwaukee and I used to see movies here with my aunt and other family members when I was a kid in the 80’s my grandparents and used to go to the Modgeska on “dates” and The whole family would choose the modjeska if they/we wanted to see a movie it was our “family” theater I was wondering if anyone can post any 80’s modjeska pictures because that would be how I remember it.

JimRankin
JimRankin on August 11, 2006 at 10:27 am

Just to make it clear, the photo linked to above by “Ken MC” shows the original Modjeska somewhat on the left; it is not the same building mentioned by “exModjeskaTech” in the comment above.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 10, 2006 at 10:37 pm

I don’t think this photo has been posted yet:

erskin
erskin on September 22, 2005 at 3:46 pm

I spent the late 90’s and early oo’s working as a Technical Director/ Stage Hand at the Modjeska and took it upon my self to learn what I could about it’s history and construstion. I have been all over (and thru) the building including doing repairs inside of the walls of the fasade. If anyone has any questions; if I know the answer I’ll give it to you or put you intouch with the current building owner Stewart Johnson (he happens to be in my mind one of the greatest set designers ever!)
I see that above it says that the chain is unknown the current building was built for Saxx theatres however it later was sold to United Artist who had their regional offices in the building.

TimothyRuf
TimothyRuf on September 21, 2005 at 9:59 pm

This link leads to a photo of the orignal Modjeska Theatre.

PhilWrob
PhilWrob on August 1, 2005 at 5:58 pm

I am a transplanted Polak from SouthSide Milwaukee to Escondido CA.
I and my brothers spent many Sundays at the Modjeska or the Granada across the street. The family doctor, Kreiger (sic?) had his offices above the theatre. Thank you very much for these pics and for the memories.
Phillip F. Wroblewski

pBusch
pBusch on August 1, 2005 at 1:31 pm

There is a closed Modjeska of the same Marquee design in Savannah, GA. I am familiar with the Milwaukee theater and while on business in Savannah I happened to notice the closed property downtown. This was four years ago and it appeared as if someone was trying to bring it back to life. I found it interesting that two theaters of the same name and same design (named for a woman) were located so far apart. I snapped a picture (at the time) and gave a copy to the S. Johnson – owner of the Milw. property.

KenRoe
KenRoe on May 8, 2005 at 4:05 pm

The Modjeska Theatre opened on 2nd August 1924 with a seating capacity of 2,000.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 22, 2005 at 4:45 pm

Bryan…..I found another theater that was named after a woman. Ok, she was a still a girl at the time but thats close enough. From the Ruby Theater website:
“The historic Ruby Theatre was built in 1914 and named after the manager’s step daughter Ruby Potter”.
/theaters/10186/

deleted user
[Deleted] on January 21, 2005 at 7:56 pm

Not many theatres are named after women because most theatres were owned by men. Women came into power so to speak in the seventies. By that time not many new theatres were being constructed.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 21, 2005 at 2:46 am

That should read, Thanks for verifying those photos Jim. There were two photos so I’m thanking you twice. :)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 20, 2005 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for verify those photos Jim.

JimRankin
JimRankin on January 20, 2005 at 6:04 pm

Yes, Lostmemory, the last two images you link to are indeed the second MODJESKA. Incidentally, Milwaukee also named more than one theatre/cinema for a man, and a Polish man also: KOSCIUSZKO, General Thaddaeus of Revolutionary War fame. MOZART and CHOPIN are to others that come to mind. Also WAGNER, WASHINGTON, POLA NEGRI, VICTORIA, and in Milw. of course, the PABST.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 20, 2005 at 3:22 pm

in NYC there was also the Helen Hayes Theatre, but it wasn’t originally named for her.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 20, 2005 at 2:39 pm

I found two more early photo’s of the Modjeska Theater. I assume that these are the second Modjeska Theater. The movie title on the marquee “Miss Brewsters Millions” should date these photo’s around 1926.

JimRankin
JimRankin on January 20, 2005 at 8:02 am

“Lostmemory’s” link to a photo is of the 1910 original MODJESKA, not the 1924 version still standing today. The 1124 address is to the offices upstairs over the stores on the ground level; 1134 is the theatre entreance.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 19, 2005 at 7:39 pm

Every listing that I find for this theater, the address is 1134 W Mitchell St and not 1124.
Here is a website for this theater:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 19, 2005 at 7:24 pm

Before the Modjeska name was anglicized, it was Modrzejewska.
There is a photo of the Modjeska Theatre here:

DavidHurlbutt
DavidHurlbutt on January 19, 2005 at 7:07 pm

It is wonderful to see that during the past eighty years the different owners of the Modjeska Theater have kept the name Modjeska. Not only is the Modjeska one of the few motion picture theaters named for a native of Poland, it is also one of the few that was named for (1) a theater personality and (2) a woman. How many other motion picture theaters were initially named for a woman and used her last name in the title?

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 19, 2005 at 3:57 pm

How do you pronounce ‘Modjeska’ ?

AndrewWillenson
AndrewWillenson on January 19, 2005 at 3:21 pm

About a month ago I saw a live stage play, “Fame the Musical” at the Modjeska. It was put on by the Modjeska Youth Theater Company. The play was very well done. The theater company is a commendable project where teenagers, largely from low income backgrounds, are taught how to be actors, and to put on a musical play.

The orchestra level was almost full when I was there. It was nice to see the Modjeska crowded.

I have no doubt that 1 million dollars could easily be put into the Modjeska. It will probably never again look like it did in 1925. But the Modjeska Youth Theater Company may very well save the Modjeska Theater. I wish the organization well.

Andy Willenson

DavidHurlbutt
DavidHurlbutt on July 16, 2004 at 8:08 pm

According to a poster on a light pole on Brady Street, there is going to be a Heaveymetal Fest at the Modjeska this July 30-31st, 2004. Ninety bands will perform during the two day event. I do hope the grand old lady of Mitchell Street can survive this.